Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Terry! Mai! Joe! Tung Fu Rue! Duck King! Raiden!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

The third movie is definitely interesting, especially for the original villains. It's almost a shame they didn't adapt the movie back into a game.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Oh, I saw Gowcaizer. :)

We tallied the panty shots in that one when we were young and stupid. It averaged less than minute between them.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:51 pm The third movie is definitely interesting, especially for the original villains. It's almost a shame they didn't adapt the movie back into a game.
Agreed, the "Quirky Mini-Boss Squad" had some decent designs and abilities, with Jamin in particular apparently having a decent sized fanbase.

If I'm not mistaken, Terry's "Buster Wolf" finisher in the games is inspired by the move he uses to defeat the final villain, being this backhand that leads into punch that surges enemy at the opponent.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 pm Oh, I saw Gowcaizer. :)

We tallied the panty shots in that one when we were young and stupid. It averaged less than minute between them.
Funny thing is, I dig the "Super Sentai / Kamen Rider / Henshin Hero" aspect of the show, and how the game has a legit amount of diverse heroes in terms of martial artists, transforming superheroes, ninja, mech-assisted fighters and so on. It's really more of of a Japanese-style superhero brawler than your standard martial arts fighting tournament.

But the anime takes the fanservice up several notches from the Fatal Fury movie.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Because there should definitely be more tokusatsu-inspired fighting games. Also of note is the anime genre cliche mish-mash fighting game Evil Zone on the PS1, which featured a pretty obvious henshin hero \ Metal Hero homage, voiced by Duke Nukem of all people.

drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Evil Zone was awesome. One of my favorite non-traditional fighting games. Back when it was released, I loved all the talking the characters did during combat. That's become pretty standard now for some games like Blazblue.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 pm
drkrash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:57 pm
The third one becomes very comic-book-y, with a globe spanning mission to stop some guy from acquiring literal plot armor that makes him into a god. However, the colorful characters, elemental powered supervillains and the like really showcase how these kind of martial artists could easily fit into a standard superhero setting. Plus, like I said, even though Terry got to take down the main villains, Andy got the coolest entrance moments. This was also the movie where they REALLY embraced Mai's fanservice appeal, as she easily jumped a couple of cup sizes between this movie and her last one.
20 years later, the quote "What I want to know is...when does Joe Higashi get the girl?" is one of those stupid movie lines that I still use more often than I should.

Not only did Mai grow from 2 to 3, didn't the 3rd also have the obligatory shower scene? Mai is the reason I haven't shown these movies to my boys yet. I could show the 1st, but then they'd want to see the others.
Jeez, they went all in with the fanservice in 3. The first shot we get of Mai is her chest in a tight t-shirt while she's eat chips at Joe's fight. Then we get the shower scene. Then we get a scene where the wind guy uses his powers to slice her clothes off. Then we get his shot of her getting up from the pool and slapping her butt a few times. Then we get a scene where she rips her street clothes off to summon her ninja gear.

Did I mention that the director and character designer, Masami Ōbari, worked in hentai? Cause the guy worked in hentai. See his OTHER fighting game anime, Gowcaizer.
I only played the arcade game, but Gowcaizer was 200 shades of bonkers... And fanservice.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Joe! Tung Fu Rue! Duck King! Raiden! Billy Kane!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

I had no idea Gowcaiser was a game.

My only experience with it is my freshman year of college, my roommate had a copy of an anime of it and I thought he pronounced it "GALLKaiser".
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Joe! Tung Fu Rue! Duck King! Raiden! Billy Kane!)

Post by drkrash »

Yeah, it was a PS1 import. I tried to track down a copy, but it wasn't going to be worth the cost.
Jabroniville

Laurence Blood

Post by Jabroniville »

LAURENCE BLOOD
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury 2 (1992)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury 2 & Special, Real Bout FF Special, DM & 2 (50% of series)
Role: Sub-Boss, Vega Knock-Off, Evil Bullfighter
PL 8 (129)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Expertise (Bullfighter) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Flamenco Guitar) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Equipment (Cape & Sword +1- Improved Critical, Split), Favored Enemy (Bulls), Improved Critical (Rapier) 2, Improved Critical (Bloody Saber), Improved Critical (Sword Combo), Improved Critical (Psycho Crusher), Ranged Attack 2

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
Features 1: May Add Rapier to Special Move Damage [1]

"Sword Slicing Combo" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 5 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Source- Cape) (6) -- [9]
  • AE: "Bloody Saber" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Psycho Crusher Knock-Off" Strength-Damage +2 (2) (note: Unarmed)
  • AE: "Bloody Shooter" Blast 4 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Rapier +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Psycho Crusher Knock-Off +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Bloody Saber +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Sword Slicing Combo +11 (+5 Damage & Affliction, DC 20 & 15)
Bloody Shooter +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The Stroheims)- The Earls of Stroheim have long enjoyed the services of the Blood clan, and Laurence is happy to keep this going.
Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 10 + 11 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 13 (129)

-A Spanish bullfighter (REALLY, SNK? With Vega being RIGHT THERE in your rivals' biggest game?), Laurence Blood is one of the weaker early Fatal Fury designs, and comes across as a bit derivative, being a Spanish Matador Bladed Weapon User Sub-Boss- it's a bit unimaginative. Made worse because his outfit is a plainer version of an actual Matador's uniform, being a generic jacket/pants combo plainer than even Tito Santana's WWF get-up. Blood basically vanishes as soon as his master Krauser falls, missing FF 3 & Real Bout, but returns for the later games. It's too bad he sucked so bad, because there's very few Savate fighters in Fighting Games, and that's part of the basis of his style, along with fencing (which Bruce Lee respected enough to include as part of his Tao of Jeet Kune Do) and the Basque art of Zipota.

-Laurence Blood is the right-hand man of Wolfgang Krauser, serving as his Sub-Boss in various games, owing to a history of the Blood family serving the Stroheims. He appeared in the next game after Fatal Fury 2, but disappeared afterwards for a couple of games until turning up with most of the past characters from then on. And... that's it. That's the end of his story. A very uninspired character, which is probably why SNK never even bothered to give him an "upgrade" like they did Lee Pai Long, Hwa Jai, and other forgotten characters.

-As a Sub-Boss who only lasted a short time, I don't imagine Laurence was much of a challenge to the Bogards or Joe, so he's only PL 8- enough to provide a BIT of trouble if necessary (the boys were probably a PL lower each at this time), but not THAT much. He basically fights like Vega Lite, being of lower PL, but still capable of some nasty hits with that sword- three ranks of Improved Critical in all. He has a stab, a Psycho Crusher-like move, and a Multiattacking Sword as well.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

drkrash wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 pm Oh, I saw Gowcaizer. :)

ha-ha, gowcaizer. nothing compared to Obari's infamous Angel Blade franchise (which in fact literally re-uses some characters from gowcaizer, such as son wukong girl as the main henchwoman)
Jabroniville

Geese Howard

Post by Jabroniville »

Image Image Image
Image Image

GEESE HOWARD (Giesbrecht Howard)
First Appearance:
Fatal Fury (1991)
Game Appearances: Fatal Fury 1, Special & 3, Real Bout FF 1, Special, 2 & DM (7 of 10 games), Art of Fighting 2 (Sub-Boss), King of Fighters '96, '98 (PS version), '02, XI, XIV-XV (40% of series), KoF Maximum Impact 2, KoF Regulation A, Capcom (vs) SNK 1 & 2, SNK (vs) Capcom, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, Tekken 7
Role: THE SNK Boss, Crimelord
PL 11 (194)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+17)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Business) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Crimelord) 8 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 10 (+14)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Perception 5 (+9)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Chi) 6 (+14)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Wealth), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Critical (Reppuken) 2, Improved Critical (Energy Slash) 2, Improved Critical (That Insane Goddamn Parry) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Feinting Moves" Enhanced Advantages 2: Benefit 2 (Gets Automatic Trip Attempt With a Successful Parry, Uses Fighting to Feint) [2]

"Energy Geyser" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylinder) (Reduced Defenses -2) (10) -- [14]
  • AE: "Reppuken!- SNK Sliding Blast" Blast 6 (Feats: Split) (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (8)
    AE: "Energy Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "That Insane Goddamn Parry" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Geese Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Dragon Throw" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +15 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Reppuuken +14 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +17 (DC 27), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)
Enemy (Terry Bogard)- Terry is the son of Geese's rival Jeff, whom he had murdered years ago.
Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 74--37 / Advantages: 23 + 11 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 22 (194)

-Every Fighting Game needs an epic boss- that one guy whom you have to fight your way through the ENTIRE ROSTER to face. He should look cool, command respect, and have powers you can't hope to match- he must be difficult enough to require keep plunking quarters into the machine in order to get another shot. And SNK hit one out of the freakin' park with Geese Howard. Shortened from the German name "Giesbrecht" (he's Austrian/American). Geese is your generic Crimelord Boss character, but has the extra effect of having been the Count to Terry Bogard's Inigo Montoya, giving him one HELL of a motivation to fight his way through that tournament to kick his ass. He's also iconic for the sheer INSANE DIFFICULTY of defeating him- Geese is notorious for stopping you in MID-ATTACK to simply toss you across the arena. His moves have ridiculous priority, he does a crap-ton of damage, and overall it's just entirely unfair. Which is just how it should be.

-The best part? He's using friggin' AIKIDO, the most defensive martial art there is! He's using Aikido and his entire fighting style involves beating your head in! Geese was so effective that the fact that they'd killed him off in the first game became problematic- later bosses were nowhere NEAR Geese's level, making Fatal Fury as a whole suffer- Krauser & the Jin Twins just didn't have Geese's "It" Factor. Therefore, Geese was resurrected for the upgrades to FF2 & 3, used for a couple more games, and then killed off AGAIN in Real Bout Fatal Fury. He was popular enough to be brought into The King of Fighters as part of the mighty "Boss Team" (with Krauser & Mr. Big), creating an unintended "split" in the continuities of the various games (though Art of Fighting was meant to be a Prequel, and that didn't entirely pan out).

-Geese's overall story is that he was the son of an American woman and an Austrian terrorist- he trained with Jeff Bogard & Cheng Sinzan under the tutelage of Tung Fu Rue, while also building a network of criminal contacts and spies. His master sensed darkness within Geese and forbade him from the finer secrets of the school, and so Geese murdered Jeff- the sole remaining student- in front of his young son, Terry. Geese thus went on to become the Boss of Southtown, gaining Mr. Big as a henchman (a young Geese is thus seen in a "Prequel", in Art of Fighting 2, with long hair and a business suit), until finally being defeated by Terry Bogard in the final moments of the first game, being thrown from Geese Tower- the symbol of power that he'd had built.

-Surviving, Geese joined the '96 King of Fighters tournament to research the Orochi power, but found it useless for him, and returned in later Fatal Fury games, hoping to gain the Jin Scrolls- he was beaten, and again thrown from Geese Tower- Terry offered to spare his life, but Geese angrily slapped Terry's hand away, refusing to be defeated in such a way- here, he met his final end... though he keeps popping up in random other games, including KoF XIV, such is his legacy. Much like Rugal (who is also not only dead, but considered a failure in-story), he's proven incredibly popular, and is hard to get rid of.

-At PL 11, Geese is a terrifying threat, especially in a world were PL 10 is "Elite"- he's bad-ass enough that for Terry to have beaten him TWICE is a major accomplishment. He hits as hard as the Powerhouses, can dodge nearly everything, and you could practically give him an Uncontrolled Aura effect to showcase his ability to just casually reverse whatever you were doing and kick your ass instead. Some games even use a "Nightmare Geese" version that's even MORE HARDCORE, meaning he probably does more damage and is more accurate, hitting PL 12 at LEAST.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Duck King! Raiden! Billy Kane! Geese Howard!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Despite being the very first SNK Boss, Geese is pretty much the best one. I mean, Rugal is cool, and there are a few other standout ones, but they got real samey over time, which makes Geese stand out more.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Old Geese comments!:

Crinos:
I'd also give him immortality. Since one major fan theory is that Geese actually did use the Jin scrolls to give himself immortality, and that's how he keeps coming back.

Meanwhile, HELL YEAH GEESE HOWARD. Dude is THE final boss. Geese is probably my favorite final boss simply by virtue of the fact he stubbornly refuses to give a ****.

I mean look at this:

That there is the very DEFINITION of swag. In that opening he's sitting with his back, then he turns around, puts his feet up (With enough force to shake the table), and just folds his arms like "What."

And then there was this scene from the SVC chaos manga where he rides in on a Wooly Mammoth and just starts kicking everyone's ass.

Seriously, that is right up there with Heihachi grabbing and eating a tomahawk with his teeth in the Tekken movie.

Sorry, its just I've been waiting for you to do Geese since you started the Fatal Fury roster, so this has had time to build up.
And a Mai one!
Danelsan:
Yet, if memory doesn't fail me, back in Fatal fury 3 when Blue Mary first appeared, she was the most booby one, including in terms of "bouncy" animation, even if Mai still had more skin showing overall (still a lot less cleavage than her future "thin strip of cloth" would have, though).

Edit: by the way, with the thick legs and smaller boobs, Mai was originally a lot more proportional than the "stick with melons strapped to it" she went on to become...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, Geese Howard is AWESOME. He's this elite crime boss who owns the city of Southtown, is based out of the tallest skyscraper in the city, which he owns, he has his own legion of mooks and illegal activities, he's a Japanophile who is completely in love with the culture, AND he's a martial arts master that uses frickin AIKIDO to defeat the good guys. AIKIDO! It's like the most passive, defense oriented Japanese martial art of all time, the entire concept being about helping an opponent hurt themselves. Geese is so evil that he took a martial art whose focus is the least violent form of self-defense possible and uses it as a tool of oppression!

I love this idea for a crime boss, and he'd fit right into a comic book setting. Like, imagine Batman getting into a fight with Geese and having to rely on every trick he has just to survive. Of having this epic fight with Daredevil or Iron Fist.

The only thing he's missing is a base more in like like David Xanatos or the 2003 Shredder, where they have this kickass ancient palace atop their skyscraper. Only go the Shredder rout where you've got a Japanese castle on top of your base