Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Gilliam

Re: Jab's Builds! (Death-Throws! RWBY! Ruby Rose! Yang! Blake!)

Post by Gilliam »

Hmm are you talking about something like this?

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

BriarThorne, Who Continues To Be Wrong :P wrote:Swap out "weird girl who sees the future" with "elitist heiress to morally dubious but extremely wealthy and important mining company" and that's Weiss and Ruby all over.
Well then "Ice Queen" isn't a good description :P. Your initial one (the one listed in my upcoming build, anyway) of "Tsundere" fits more.

And my criticisms of the animation and art style are based entirely on that late-season episode both you & Kreuzritter showed me, where Yang fights her mother's biker-band or whatever, and Ruby & Oz's reincarnation-kid are having their sparring match. Still bland, still lacking much color, and still having quite blank expressions.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Gilliam wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 am Hmm are you talking about something like this?
I see a LOT or RWBY fanart on assorted sites, and most of them make the characters look borderline unrecognizable, often by changing what I understand are their "regular" outfits (though they may be ones from later seasons), and altering the facial features to match the artist's style, so the faces are much more expressive, the detail more intense, etc. Despite having seen the characters repeatedly during the doing of these builds, I find myself unable to recognize the characters in fanart unless the title is actually "Ruby Rose (RWBY)" or something like it.

Yang causes the most issues, because her design is really unremarkable- she's just some chick with long orange-ish hair. Her outfit doesn't cry "Iconic". At least Weiss has the "Elsa-Braid" and Ruby usually wears a hood or something.

Compare them to say, Avatar characters, and that show manages to make a legion of people with the same hair colors into distinct people with looks that are distinctive even in different art styles- I can usually tell when someone's drawing Kuvira, Asami, Korra, Katara or the Beifong sisters just through the hair/skin/eye combination, without even knowing they're doing an Avatar pic beforehand.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 am
Gilliam wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 am Hmm are you talking about something like this?
I see a LOT or RWBY fanart on assorted sites, and most of them make the characters look borderline unrecognizable, often by changing what I understand are their "regular" outfits (though they may be ones from later seasons), and altering the facial features to match the artist's style, so the faces are much more expressive, the detail more intense, etc. Despite having seen the characters repeatedly during the doing of these builds, I find myself unable to recognize the characters in fanart unless the title is actually "Ruby Rose (RWBY)" or something like it.
Popular characters in fan art are often done more in the style of the artist than the original? Shocking!
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 amYang causes the most issues, because her design is really unremarkable- she's just some chick with long orange-ish hair. Her outfit doesn't cry "Iconic". At least Weiss has the "Elsa-Braid" and Ruby usually wears a hood or something.
Lots of thick, wild blond hair and purple eyes. Outfits of orange, brown, and yellow. An actual personal icon on her clothing. If you can't spot this, either the artist isn't very good, or you're just not familiar enough with the source.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 amCompare them to say, Avatar characters, and that show manages to make a legion of people with the same hair colors into distinct people with looks that are distinctive even in different art styles- I can usually tell when someone's drawing Kuvira, Asami, Korra, Katara or the Beifong sisters just through the hair/skin/eye combination, without even knowing they're doing an Avatar pic beforehand.
Because you're more familiar with the source material. I can spot a RWBY pic at a glance. Sometimes, if the artist isn't good or has taken enough creative liberty, I may have to study for a couple seconds to be sure it's supposed to be Yang instead of some generic hot blonde.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:39 am
BriarThorne, Who Continues To Be Wrong :P wrote:Swap out "weird girl who sees the future" with "elitist heiress to morally dubious but extremely wealthy and important mining company" and that's Weiss and Ruby all over.
Well then "Ice Queen" isn't a good description :P. Your initial one (the one listed in my upcoming build, anyway) of "Tsundere" fits more.
As you like.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:39 amAnd my criticisms of the animation and art style are based entirely on that late-season episode both you & Kreuzritter showed me, where Yang fights her mother's biker-band or whatever, and Ruby & Oz's reincarnation-kid are having their sparring match. Still bland, still lacking much color, and still having quite blank expressions.
Then I'm not sure what you were watching. I don't really understand "bland" or "lacking color" at all, but "blank expressions" is flat wrong. In the specific episode I showed you, they were doing a lot of work with facial expression. You can't get much more expressive without going full anime-face over-the-top morphing into a weird distorted meme-monster.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Let's use this recent (I guess) one as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUuDbQeGlCY

At around 11:00, Yang starts yelling at the other chick. Her eyes are wide open (hell, even TURNING RED), but... there's nothing there. No emotion. Maybe it's the pose not helping, but she's so static, her face unmoving, that all they do is do the "eyes open slightly" and expect you to get it. Basically... the characters are bad "actors" because of the animation and poor direction. I've seen static images reflect more emotion than these moving, animated characters. THAT'S what I mean by "blank". The characters also have very unexpressive default looks, where you can't read any emotion at all.

The colors of the series seem very muted as well. The main characters wear a lot of dark or neutral shades with very little "eye-popping" colors, and their backdrop is very much "dark buildings/dojos/forests" from what I've seen. Not very colorful or dynamic.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:28 am Let's use this recent (I guess) one as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUuDbQeGlCY

At around 11:00, Yang starts yelling at the other chick. Her eyes are wide open (hell, even TURNING RED), but... there's nothing there. No emotion. Maybe it's the pose not helping, but she's so static, her face unmoving, that all they do is do the "eyes open slightly" and expect you to get it. Basically... the characters are bad "actors" because of the animation and poor direction. I've seen static images reflect more emotion than these moving, animated characters. THAT'S what I mean by "blank". The characters also have very unexpressive default looks, where you can't read any emotion at all.
Maybe it's because I'm mildly autistic, and have to analyse such things instead of just feeling them intuitively, but I see Yang's eyes wide, lips tight, shoulders forward and tight, fists clenched, one foot forward, and I see the exact opposite of what you're saying.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:28 am The colors of the series seem very muted as well. The main characters wear a lot of dark or neutral shades with very little "eye-popping" colors, and their backdrop is very much "dark buildings/dojos/forests" from what I've seen. Not very colorful or dynamic.
The colors of the series are famously over-saturated. It's honestly a little much at times and took a while to get used to. Right now, they're emphasizing the "shadowy plots" and "land in despair" themes, so you might not see it as much, but... "muted colors" as a generalized complaint about THIS series? ...

I'll be the first to admit that the series has its flaws, and a few of your criticisms, but I'm trying to see where you're coming from, and sometimes I'm finding no issue, or even the exact opposite problem.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Another aspect that adds to the show for me is the music and it is one of the few shows where I have made an effort to track down the soundtrack to the series.

As to the animation yes season 1 isn't the greatest but it does improve but the mix of characters, storylines, music and even the fight scenes :) all work together and personally makes RWBY a wonderful show that I love to watch.
Ken

Post by Ken »

How do people refer to this show in spoken conversation? Is "RWBY" pronounced despite the absence of vowels? Do they say "Are Double-You Bee Why"? Do they say "that show"?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

"RWBY" makes me think of Elmer Fudd trying to say "ruby". . . . and now I'm picturing Elmer Fudd in some weird Shonen Anime. "Evil dowuh! I will have wetwobution fuh yuh vile deeds! Pwepah to Face the FIST OF FUDD!"
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (Black Swan! Chessmen! Corruptor! The Death-Throws!)

Post by L-Space »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 am I find it interesting that Goku, at the begining of DBZ is an idiot who'd risk pretty much everything in existence for a fun fight. And by DBSuper Goku has grown into... a guy who'd risk pretty much everything in existence for a fun fight.

Meanwhile Vegita has gone from a staggeringly pride filled character who's got no compunctions to killing anything that gets in his way. By DBSuper he cares so much for his family he's willing to debase himself to protect them.

But yeah, I'm a fan of the underdog characters. More often than not they wind up being more fun then the main characters who have to be hero and don't get much in terms of growth or change.
I do like how DBSuper had Goku flat out state that he doesn't want to be a savior and just likes fighting strong opponents, though he won't stand innocents getting hurt.

Yea, Vegeta has probably shown the most character growth out of just about everybody.
Formerly luketheduke86
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I've wanted to give RWBY a try, but I really dislike the use of CGI in anime so I've given it a wide berth. Same reason I haven't watched the new Berserk movies/anime, which is too bad because I love Berserk.
Formerly luketheduke86
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Ken wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:30 pm How do people refer to this show in spoken conversation? Is "RWBY" pronounced despite the absence of vowels? Do they say "Are Double-You Bee Why"? Do they say "that show"?
I hear it's supposed to be pronounced "ruby", but I imagine that could just get confusing.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ken wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:30 pm How do people refer to this show in spoken conversation? Is "RWBY" pronounced despite the absence of vowels? Do they say "Are Double-You Bee Why"? Do they say "that show"?
RWBY is the name of the team, consisting of Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang. In the show, they say "Team Ruby," to differentiate between the team and its leader. You may note that "ruby" means "red." Other team names include "JNPR" (juniper, a green color,) and "STRQ" (stark, which kinda-sorta means black). Color names for teams is a Thing. How it works out so often, with teams chosen by effectively drawing lots, and the leader's name always first... well, it IS a story about fairy tales, after all.
Jabroniville

Weiss

Post by Jabroniville »

Seriously, this character is CLEARLY the "Attractive One". Look at this freaking fan-art. Even *I* would watch this show if the characters actually looked like this.

WEISS SCHNEE
Role:
Delicate Rich Girl, The Tsundere (ie. "Hot, Then Cold" Girl)
PL 8 (199)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Hunter) 8 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 7 (+10)

Advantages: 
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Scroll), Improved Critical (Sword) 2, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Semblance- Glyphs"
"Moving Stuff" Move Object 8 (16) -- [17]
AE: "Platforms" Create 4 (8)

"Summon Defeated Enemies" Summon 8 (Extras: Heroic +2, Variable +2) (Flaws: Limited to Defeated Foes) [48]
"Move Along Walls" Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]

"Aura"
"Nobody Sells Anything" Features 1: Gives No Indication of Harm Until Knocked Out [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Protection 2 [2]

"Myrtenaster- Multi-Action Dust Rapier" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Descriptor) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (12) -- (15 points)
  • AE: "Fire Along Blade" Blast 6 (12)
  • AE: "Ice Sheet" Affliction 6 (Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (6)
  • AE: Create Ice 5 (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Rapier +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Fire Blade +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3 (+5 Aura), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications: 
Responsibility (Hunting Monsters)
Relationship (Family)- Her family is a sackful of assholes. Her sister Winter may be simply distant, but her father Jaques and brother Whitley fail at humanity. Upon realizing that, her closest ties are to her team, and maybe one or two favored servants.
Responsibility (Rebel)- Weiss lived a life completely under the thumb of others, but was one day cast out from her inheritance, making her a bit of a rebel.
Reputation (Arrogant)- Weiss's confidence and intelligence are easily interpreted as arrogance to others.
Relationship (Ruby Rose)- The two are DEFINITELY not best friends. No way. Weiss would never kill you for trying to hurt Ruby, whom she totally isn't friends with.
Power Loss (Aura)- Hunters & Huntresses may slowly lose power as their energy depletes. Their Scrolls keep them updated on their condition.
Responsibility (Must Spin Before Every Attack)- This is the most immutable law of the universe.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 90 / Defenses: 5 (199)

BriarThrone's Notes:
Heir to the very wealthy and powerful Schnee Dust Company, before her actions cause her father to rule her unfit to inherit. She seems uncertain at times whether she wants to impress her family – especially her sister Winter – or rebel from them. She is a very technical fighter, fencing with a Multi-Action Dust Rapier, allowing different sorts of magical attacks selected via a revolver chamber integrated into the design. Her Semblance is “glyphs,” which produce a variety of effects related to force and its direction, including pulling, launching, or holding objects, and creating platforms that can be stood or run on, even along walls. The glyphs can also summon the spirits of defeated enemies, and Weiss can (eventually) summon a spectral suit of armor to fight for her. Not the most powerful fighter of the group, but by far the most versatile. Basically, HAXX.

Note: The team represents fairy tale characters, and Weiss is Snow White. Her name is, with a few linguistic liberties, “White Snow” in German.

Jab's Notes: This dime-store Elsa is the most well-designed character in the show. Until I saw her standing next to other characters, I assumed THIS would have been the "Most Beautiful Cast Member", but she looks really young and short compared to, say, Yang. A solid, delicate-looking design, reminiscent of Queen Elsa- a character design type I'm surprised hasn't exploded much more. Apparently all of the "Dust" her Rapier has just gives her different sorts of energy to utilize, so I'm guessing Variable 2 for the descriptor change. She's apparently the weakest of the group, but has the most versatility.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:58 am, edited 3 times in total.