Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Hoid

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Sailor Phi & Chi! Sailor Galaxia! Tuff E Nuff!)

Post by Hoid »

I loved that White Wolf Street Fighter game. I had an idea for a character with the ‘Animal Person’ Background, the ‘Cyborg’ Background and ‘Elementalist’ Background, to make an ancient Chinese automaton horse powered by a miniature alchemical sun. It would have been glorious!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Eventually yes after actually statting a few characters **grumble bloody jab grumble** and if i run something itll be in the SFRPG system
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I enjoyed Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game; Despite the game's rather, let's say "lackluster" setting materials, it's a fantastic system mechanically. Probably one of the best table-top RPGs out there in terms of emulating the source material, combat is obvious a huge draw for any game that's going to wear the Street Fighter title and they absolutely nailed it.

The non-combat aspects of the game are a pretty basic "rules lite" rendition of what you'd have seen in any of White Wolf's first edition World of Darkness game. Good enough to cover a little bit of social interaction, a few skill challenges, and other stuff that might happen in between fights... But like any Hong Kong Action Cinema movie, Seventies Kung Fu grindhouse flick, or Eighties Ninja-Commando straight-to-video release, these scenes are mostly just there to set-up the next fight. The fightin' is what you came for and the fightin' is good.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

If you ever decide you want a system that is more flexible and more balanced to do the same job, let me know.

SFRPG is a fun game, but it's not well-balanced and I disagree that it nailed the feel of Street Fighter. YMMV., as I have obviously built an indie RPG career around the idea that it could be done better. :)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Gajet

Post by Jabroniville »

GAJET
First Appearance:
Tuff E Nuff (1993)
Home Country: ??
Role: Powerhouse, Pro Wrestler, Long-Lost Brother (to Vortz)
Vague Martial Art Basis: Pro Wrestling
PL 7 (92)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 6 (+10)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Fearless, Improved Critical (Rising Buffalo), Improved Critical (Frankensteiner), Ranged Attack 2

Off-Brand "World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Frankensteiner" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Opponent Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Rising Buffalo" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Buffalo Charge" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +7 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Killing)- Gajet once killed someone during a fight, and found that he enjoyed killing.
Weakness (Predictability)- These characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 5 + 10 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 8 (92)

-Gajet is a Head Swap character of Vortz, but in grey and wearing a clown mask. A mysterious fighter from a mysterious place, he apparently once killed an opponent and was barred from pro wrestling, but discovered that he enjoyed killing and kept at it. It was thought that he and Vortz were once friends, but Vortz's ending says that they are actually brothers. He uses the Rising Buffalo like Vortz does, but swaps the Muscle Buster for a Frankensteiner.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

drkrash wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:58 pm If you ever decide you want a system that is more flexible and more balanced to do the same job, let me know.

SFRPG is a fun game, but it's not well-balanced and I disagree that it nailed the feel of Street Fighter. YMMV., as I have obviously built an indie RPG career around the idea that it could be done better. :)
Oh, I do indeed like your system better. I'm just saying that White Wolf's is a lot better than it might appear at first glance, since, well, at first glance it seems like kind of a joke.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:41 pm Oh, I do indeed like your system better. I'm just saying that White Wolf's is a lot better than it might appear at first glance, since, well, at first glance it seems like kind of a joke.
:lol: I can totally agree with that. It *is* a fun system. My group played a single campaign for *5 years* using the system before I designed Fight!. But sometimes I come across opinions on gaming forums on the order of, "I remember the SFRPG! That game was amazing!" The game has a lot of nostalgia attached to it disproportionate to its actual value.

But I also admit that I am 110% biased about this.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I expected Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game to be a cold, greasy, cheap fast-food “sleazeburger”. It turned out to be a hot, juicy, perfectly seasoned cheeseburger... in a really bad package.

Fight! is a top grade sirloin steak.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

That's very nice. Thank you for the kind words.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Years ago, I took part in an online MUD/MUSH/MOO (...I spent years of my life on those things and I still don't know the difference between them) called Match of the Millennium. It was essentially every SNK character from King of Fighters and every character from Street Fighter in a text-based game where people could play their favorite characters, and it had a built-in combat system that had stamina, allowed for attacks to earn super for special moves, chances to dodge or block or taking the hit, and then later on they added reflect, interrupts, toughing out, and all other sorts of mechanics.

I always wanted to figure out how they did it just so I could run something similar for some friends of mine, but everybody who ever worked on it was extremely tight-lipped, partly because they didn't want someone to take it and make a huge profit on it, and partly because the guy who designed the system in the first place had left earlier.

But man, I loved that system, and would love to learn how they did it. Hell, I'd pay someone to help me get it worked out to something I could run on Tabletop Simulator or Roll20 in a script.
Sidney369

Re: Gajet

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:19 pm Image

GAJET

-Gajet is a Head Swap character of Vortz, but in grey and wearing a clown mask. A mysterious fighter from a mysterious place, he apparently once killed an opponent and was barred from pro wrestling, but discovered that he enjoyed killing and kept at it.

What if the Great Khali was a member of ICP?
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Beans

Post by Jabroniville »

BEANS
First Appearance:
Tuff E Nuff (1993)
Home Country: United States
Role: Punk Rocker, Crazy Fighter
Vague Martial Art Basis: Street Brawling
PL 7 (99)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Expertise (Street Punk) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Improved Critical (Dynamite Punches), Improved Critical (Emperor Sting), Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Off-Brand "World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Dynamite Punches" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 2) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 2 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (3) -- [5]
  • AE: "Emperor Sting- Backflip Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Energy Fist" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Emperor Sting +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Dynamite Punches +11 (+2 Damage & Affliction, DC 17 & 12)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Mayhem & Power)- Beans seems a bit nuts.
Weakness (Predictability)- These characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 6 + 10 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 12 (99)

-Beans is your everyday "Crazy Fighter"- an early look at the concept. He reminds me a bit of Chaos from Toshinden and other oddball designs- he's got platform shoes, tight pants, puffy shoulder pauldrons, a MASSIVE yellow pompadour, and a strange, unnatural mustache. Just this bizarre collection of traits. The unfortunate thing is he wouldn't look bad with a better animation style, but instead he's kinda lurched forward randomly opening his mouth for this odd "bite" animation. It just makes him look stupid instead of crazy.

-Beans has a simple fighting style- either a Multiattack fist (a bunch of energized hands flash in front of him) or a backflip kick with some purple energy to it. He's more of a scrappy punk compared to the others.
Jabroniville

Rei Mizuno

Post by Jabroniville »

REI MIZUNO
First Appearance:
Tuff E Nuff (1993)
Home Country: Japan
Role: Girl Karateka
Vague Martial Art Basis: Kenpo Karate
PL 7 (102)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 8 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Improved Critical (Hidden Dragon), Improved Critical (Ranged Attacks), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Ground Flame/Deadly Vortex" Blast 3 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (Diminished Range -1) (3) -- [5]
  • AE: "Tremor Uppercut" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Hidden Dragon" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Special Moves +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Ranged Attacks +10 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 5 + 10 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 12 (102)

-Rei Mizuno is a female karate fighter who is also a magician who can summon actual SPIRITS to help her fight. Her design isn't bad, especially for the era, but is a bit "plain"- white top, blue "hibakana" (traditional pants, of a sort) on the bottom, with high-angle sandals. The short hair, headband and Character Image on the select screen give her a very androgynous appearance, but the voice is unmistakably female. Her name brings to mind Sailor Moon big-time, as Rei Hino and Ami Mizuno were major characters in the then-current wildly successful manga & anime series.

-Rei includes a feature almost never seen on Fighting Game characters in 1993- she has TWO kinds of projectile attacks! She can summon either a flame that snakes along the ground, or a black "vortex" of sparking energy that acts like a regular fireball. This makes her the only character in Tuff E Nuff to hit PL 6.5 at range as well as in melee (to represent added accuracy from unexpected shots- you never know quite where certain attacks could come from). The "Hidden Dragon" attack is just a melee-range energy burst as a glowing symbol shows up for a second.
Jabroniville

Dolf

Post by Jabroniville »

DOLF
First Appearance:
Tuff E Nuff (1993)
Home Country: Libya
Role: Military Guy, Assassin
Vague Martial Art Basis: Military Training
PL 7 (105)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+10)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Expertise (Soldier) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Knife, Rocket Launcher), Improved Critical (Dynamite Punches), Improved Critical (Emperor Sting), Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Blast Knee" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) [1]

Equipment:
"Bazooka Blast" Blast 4 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (Diminished Range -1) (3)

Offense:
Knife +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blast Knee +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Dynamite Punches +11 (+2 Damage & Affliction, DC 17 & 12)
Bazooka Blast +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Dolf is now a contract killer.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 11 + 10 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 8 (105)

-Like I've said before, the early days of Fighting Games saw a lot of stereotypes taken ENTIRELY from Street Fighter- while many were kept over the years, the "Military Guy" archetype was particularly prominent for being omnipresent. Like it was just kinda assumed that every game needed its own "Guile". However, Dolf here is a villainous example- a Libyan military commander who now acts as an assassin. He fights using a knife AND a rocket launcher. His fighting stance is EXCEPTIONALLY weird, however- lurching forward, swinging his knife at floor-level.

-Dolf is rather simple, either hitting a diagonally-downward knee strike, or firing with his bazooka. Mechanically, it's a tad different, as the blast actually creates a backlash that scoots him back a bit- most ranged attacks in Fighting Games don't do that. Many of his punch moves use either the knife for the bazooka as a melee weapon.
Jabroniville

Shiro

Post by Jabroniville »

SHIRO (aka Sirou)
First Appearance:
Tuff E Nuff (1993)
Home Country: Japan
Role: Ninja
Vague Martial Art Basis: Iga Ninjitsu
PL 7 (103)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 3 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Ninja) 7 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment (Sword +2), Improved Critical (Ho'o Ken), Improved Critical (Spinning Kick), Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Ground Wave- SNK Sliding Projectile" Blast 4 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (Diminished Range -1) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Ground Wave +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Shiro presumably kills people for money.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 11 + 10 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 10 (103)

-As always, an early-1990s Fighting Game will include at least one Ninja, usually in purple (why specifically purple? Is it because Street Fighter I's Geki was in purple? Because it was also dark, and would show up better than black would?). Shiro is in either purple or green, and wields a large straight-sword.

-Shiro is pretty basic, though I can only find one Special Move- the "Ground Wave" (SNK-style sliding floor blast). I guess if you have a FRIGGIN' SWORD, you don't need many fancier moves. His presumed skillset (being a ninja) and stuff make him a bit more expensive than the other fighters.