Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (Santerians! Siege! Strong Guy! Schizoid Man! Miles Morales!)

Post by Arkrite »

I stole that outfit in a game once when the character had thirty seconds to make a costume and go.

I lovingly referred to it as the Sock Lord outfit.
Jabroniville

Re: Miles Morales

Post by Jabroniville »

badpenny wrote:
Jabroniville wrote: SPIDER-MAN II (Miles Morales)

The Powers of Miles:
-Miles is pretty much like a 1970s-era Spider-Man- skilled and with great powers, but not as elite as Peter Parker is as of today. His Spider-Sense is a little weaker than Peter's, but he gains Camouflage (even while wearing clothes), and a "Venom Sting" that works as an Unreliable Blast or a Paralyzing Touch attack, giving him a different set of options than Peter (which I kinda like- it separates them a bit, rather than making Miles a mere clone). Otherwise, he's PL 8-9 in range, as he's less-experienced than Peter is by a WIDE margin.

Jab, I don't see the mechanics for his camouflage in his build. I'd put it as something as simple as Hide in Plain Sight or actual Blending.

Did they upgrade his Venom Sting/Blast? I don't recall it being ranged or doing the conductive thing? I haven't read the books since the Ultimate run.

Double-Dammit! I know I typed it out- must have been a cut & paste error.
Jabroniville

Snapdragon

Post by Jabroniville »

SNAPDRAGON (Sheoke Sanada)
Created By:
Ralph Macchio & George Perez
First Appearance: Marvel Fanfare #12 (Jan. 1984)
Role: Martial Artist, Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: Various Villains' Employ
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+12)
Close Combat (Bo Staff) 1 (+12)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Bolas) 4 (+12)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+7)
Technology 1 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Equipment 4, Evasion, Fast Grab, Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Equipment:
"Armour" Protection 2 (2)
"Visor" Senses 1 (Infravision) (1)
"Bolas" Snare 5 (15) -- (17)
  • AE: "Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)
  • AE: "Bo Staff" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 2) (4)
Powers:
"Martial Arts Prowess" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Bo Staff +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+5 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Snapdragon is a relatively-simple mercenary.
Enemy (Diamondback)- Snapdragon was wronged by Rachel Leighton somehow when the two were just trainees of The Taskmaster, and she is devoted to revenge. She attempted to murder Rachel by beating her unconscious and then throwing her off a Cruise Liner.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 14 (112)

-Snapdragon debuted in an old Marvel Fanfare issue as a temporary threat for the Black Widow, but she vanished thereafter. Mark Gruenwald, seeing a concept going to waste, brought her in as part of his Superia Stratagem storyline in Cap's book, and invented some backstory where Diamondback wronged her, and Snappy killed her in response, throwing her into the ocean, where she drowned. Thankfully, doctors were able to revive Rachel, but it set off a storyline where she retired in fear, and the other members of B.A.D. Girls, Inc. tried to hunt Snapdragon down. Eventually, it was Rachel herself who did the deed, taunting Snapdragon, challenging her to a rematch, and (in a fit of rage brought on by her kidnapping/training by Crossbones and an infusion of Captain America's blood) choked the life out of Snapdragon. This set off ANOTHER storyline, where Rae is forced to come to terms with being a murderer.

-Sheoke appeared out of nowhere in a recent Moon Knight arc, acting as a plainclothed assassin and agent of Count Nefaria.

-Snapdragon is a really good martial artist, being PL 7.5 unarmed fighter, and PL 8 with a Sword or Bo. This makes her more than a match for weaker types like Diamondback (especially unarmed), and she has a win over Black Widow (but keep in mind that Natasha was a WEAKLING up until about 2000 as far as "Bad-Ass Feats" went, jobbing to just about anybody), but she'd lose to more heavy-duty guys. Just a standard martial arts build, with some extra Strength-Damage for her martial arts prowess (I don't see her lifting over 200 lbs. easily, but she should be able to do some more damage).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Smokescreen

Post by Jabroniville »

SMOKESCREEN (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Creators Unlisted
First Appearance: Spider-Man/Power Man/Storm: Public Service Announcement (1982)
Group Affiliations: The Mob (??)
Role: One-Shot Villain, Would-Be Mob Boss
PL 7 (84)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Evasion

Powers:
"Smokescreen Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [29]
"Choking Smoke" Affliction 7 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, 15ft. Cloud, Cumulative) (28)
"Hidden in Smoke" Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Attack) (8)
-- (36 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Choking Smoke +7 Area (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Smokescreen hopes to take control of the city's mobs with his insidious plot to bet on high school track meets.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 7 (84)

-Smokescreen is the chosen villain for one of those silly "Public Service" Marvel Comics that've appeared from time to time- they're ALWAYS fun reads, because they are almost always enormously stupid. Canada had three unique ones, the third of which features the hilariously bad "Bicycle Safety Enthusiast Children defeat the Frightful Four" story. There was another about safety around hazardous materials. And THIS one- an anti-smoking PSA from 1982, which featured a kid whose grades and athletic skills failed as he started *gasp* SMOKING! This, and the small-time operation of the villain Smokescreen (who sadly isn't an agent of Big Tobacco, which would have made this a thousand times more hilarious), somehow draws the attention of Spider-Man, Luke Cage AND Storm of the X-Men. That Marvel's two most-prominent black characters were featured in a story in which the main kid/subject is also black makes me think this was meant to target minority communities, which I guess were... in danger of falling into smoking? Spidey's of course there for sales.

-Smokescreen has the stupidest M.O. of any villain ever, by the way- his plan is to purse illegal gambling by betting on HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS, at which point he will use the winnings to fund his takeover of the New York mobs. Because enough people care about who jumps over hurdles the fastest in Queens to make that a solid plan. He actually succeeds in choking Storm out cold (for TWO DAYS STRAIGHT, according to the story), but she fights her way free, and soon the heroes mop up Smokescreen and his handful of Mooks- Spider-Man sees through his smoke (thanks to his Spider-Sense) and captures him. The student athlete apologizes to his team for letting them all down, and vows to quit smoking.

-Surprisingly, this pile of goofiness was reprinted in 1998 & 2000, but with a different, more modern artist. The ridiculous story remains intact.

-Smokescreen is a pretty simple Goon with a gimmick, though it's effective in making him hard to find. I was actually hoping him to be some kind of overly-aggressive pusher that you always find in things like this- the kind of weird villain you see that's like "NOOOO... YOU MUST DO (insert vice here)..." (I find real-life drug dealers just kind of... stand there and wait. Like Chris Rock said- Drugs sell THEMSELVES; ain't nobody got to go around pressuring people to take them). But no; the hero merely seems to have caved to pressure from his "Bad Girl" girlfriend.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shock

Re: Snapdragon

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote:Image
That is a hell of a costume. It looks like it came out of one of those books where you can mix and match body parts from different characters.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Shock wrote:That is a hell of a costume. It looks like it came out of one of those books where you can mix and match body parts from different characters.
Eww. Is this really a thing? Horror is not my genre.
Spam

Post by Spam »

Shock wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:Image
That is a hell of a costume. It looks like it came out of one of those books where you can mix and match body parts from different characters.
Reminds me of the costume contests we would have back in City of Heroes. When Mr. Spam reached level 50, I had a contest in celebration and the winner was this guy who had an incredibly cool, but simple, Killer Whale based costume. And then I got a string of private messages from some kid who looked like he pressed the Random button on every accessory possible complaining that his costume had way more cool stuff on it, so of course he should have won.
Jabroniville

Solomon Prey

Post by Jabroniville »

SOLOMON PREY
Created By:
Don McGregor & Dwayne Turner
First Appearance: Black Panther: Panther's Prey #1 (Sept. 1990)
Role: Crimeboss
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (124)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Law) 4 (+7)
Insight 5 (+9)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Benefit 3 (Wealth), Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Accurate, Split) [4]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

"Crypt-Optics" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Concealment 5 (All Senses) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Claws +13 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Vulnerable (Wing-Based Attacks)- Prey's wings are connected to his central nervous system to the point that removing them would be instantly fatal.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 12 (124)

-Solomon Prey is a Wakandan-born, Harvard-educated man who becomes a great observer and manipulator, becoming a wealthy druglord back in Wakanda. He has a doctor implant cells into his body that allow him to grow wings and claws. I had a hell of a time finding anything about what happened to him, but he hasn't appeared in forever. Turns out that the Unofficial Appendix had a bit on him (I mean, duh- I must have forgotten to check that, or missed it on Google the first time)- he repeatedly befuddled the Panther (most of McGregor's stories involve T'Challa being horrendously injured, and were much more realistic than most superhero comics in terms of sustaining damage- guys couldn't just parkour their way around everything without getting hurt), but one of his allies eventually came to his aid, but his Pteranodon mount (??... I love comics) tore the wings from Prey's back, which ended up killing him, as his central nervous system had been connected to them by this point. He died instantly.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So people can have their spines severed and have limbs chopped off, but his wings are someone connected to his central nervous system lethally?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Post by Shock »

BriarThrone wrote:
Shock wrote:That is a hell of a costume. It looks like it came out of one of those books where you can mix and match body parts from different characters.
Eww. Is this really a thing? Horror is not my genre.
Hardly horror.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote:So people can have their spines severed and have limbs chopped off, but his wings are someone connected to his central nervous system lethally?
Like I said, McGregor was a little grittier and more "real" in terms of human durability. One comic of his is entirely based around the Panther fighting a single soldier in a jeep. A modern writer would have simply had T'Challa kick the Jeep over and one-punch the guy. Here, some tear gas nearly finished him instantly, and he could barely break through the window to hit the guy.
danelsan

Re: Solomon Prey

Post by danelsan »

Jabroniville wrote: -Solomon Prey is a Wakandan-born, Harvard-educated man
I'm surprised he didn't instead study in a Wakandan institution that is much better and more advanced than Harvard, despite clinging to small-tribe traditions and having the faculty chosen through combat XD
Batgirl III

Re: Solomon Prey

Post by Batgirl III »

danelsan wrote:
Jabroniville wrote: -Solomon Prey is a Wakandan-born, Harvard-educated man
I'm surprised he didn't instead study in a Wakandan institution that is much better and more advanced than Harvard, despite clinging to small-tribe traditions and having the faculty chosen through combat XD
This was long before Wakanda got turned into the Mary Suetopia it has (d)evolved into... Wakanda was originally "more advanced than it appears to outsiders," and not "technology of the far future inexplicably designed to look like a stone idol."

Basically, back in the day, a Wakandan doctor's office would be as educated and as well equipped as any surgerical hospital in Manhattan, with one doctor and a couple assistants doing the work of an entire American or European hospital's full staff... and the whole thing would look like a farmer's house. Impressive, to be sure, but a far cry from today where the village witch doctor has medical tech that would make Beverly Crusher envious... and he lives in a mud hut.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yes, somewhere down the line Wakanda was changed into Marvel's version of Paradise Island, except for the women only bit, and with the Panther God replacing Hera as their patron. As Batgirl said, once they were as advanced as any Western nation, despite appearing to be a typical third-world African nation, with their edges coming from the Vibranium metal deposits and their advanced knowledge of alternative medicine (the Panther's powers came from training but also an herbal concoction). Nowadays it's a fantasy kingdom with technology more advanced than nearly anywhere else on Marvel Earth. I'm not sure if this was entirely a Reginald Hudson development, but regardless it's the new status quo for the Black Panther's home nation. I do wonder how the upcoming movie will affect the comic book depiction.

All my best.
Jabroniville

DC SuperHero Girls

Post by Jabroniville »

DC SUPERHERO GIRLS:
-So with Mattel having recently lost the Disney Princess rights for their dolls (and with the $1 billion+ sales margins that line produces, that's a big freakin' deal), they were in the market for something new. And as part of the quasi-Female Empowerment bent they're going for, they hooked up with DC Comics, and have produced a doll line around their superheroes. And while DC has a tendency to struggle with their franchises in comparison to the well-oiled machine that is Marvel Comics's merchandising division, they seem to have come up pretty well on this one.

-DC Superhero Girls is basically like Monster High or Ever After High as a whole- a series of High School-aged dolls, starting off with ones based around the core personalities, and introduced via a series of short Webisodes, culminating in the occasional "movie-length" one. So far, they've only introduced a handful of characters, with Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl and... Harley Quinn?? as the major stars. The concept is that they're all training at Superhero High, where their Principal Amanda Waller is in charge of whipping these teenage amateurs into shape, via things like Flying Class, etc. As it's a doll line, the cast is 95% female, with the males being even LESS important than they were in the other two Mattel Doll Franchises! There, you at least featured the occasional dude in a starring role (Deuce Gorgon is in the Monster High theme song!). Here, we only get smidgens of Hal Jordan, The Flash and a recurring role for Beast Boy (played by his Teen Titans V.A., with the same look & personality).

-The only "Adults" around are small in number- Principal Waller, Vice Principal Grodd, Coach Wildcat, their fashion teacher Mr. Crazy Quilt, and a few others. Superman is stated to exist, but is really just "Supergirl's Cousin" here, and never shows up on-screen. Almost every other character in existence is reduced to High School age.

-The Animation is entirely different from the other Mattel shows, and is produced right from Warner Bros., meaning we don't just get "Anime Voiceover" quality actors, but REAL Voiceover actors! Grey DeLisle, Tara Strong & others make up the cast, and the animation is standard 2-D, not advanced Flash Animation like the other two shows. This makes the costume designs MUCH simpler and plainer that the Disney Princess Overload dresses of Ever After High (since someone actually has to DRAW THESE), but 

-The show makes an effort at the Cast Of Tokens, Planeteering things so that most ethnicities are showcased. This results in the odd situation of characters like Katana & Bumblebee- fourth & fifth-stringers in the world of comics, being upgraded to "on the cover of everything" characters. See, DC doesn't really HAVE a lot of high-end female characters that are also non-white, so Katana (star of the long-gone Outsiders books, and given a failed push a couple of years ago that went nowhere) and Bumblebee (a forgotten relic of the 1970s who got an upgrade in the TT cartoon series, but is still a nobody in the DCU) are what we got. Marvel could pull this off a little better owing to the X-Men's larger importance and tendency to include non-whites, having characters like Storm, Monica Rambeau, Jubilee and... okay, Psylocke almost counts- more if you count New Mutants characters (some of whom are definitely higher-grade than Katana has ended up being). But given that they also turned many SUPER-VILLAINS into cast members at Super Hero High, that's a drop in the bucket of weirdness. And really... the furthering of little-known characters in Supporting Materials is a GOOD THING, and can lead to enhanced pushes for the characters in the comics. It's just kind of a thing I find funny.

-And yeah, many super-villains are included at Super Hero High, again because I guess they didn't have a lot of famous super-heroines and wanted to stick some recognizable acts (Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy). Not a bad way to fill out the Supporting Cast, either (Star Sapphire, Cheetah & Catwoman also fly around the edges). 

The Cast So Far:
The Core Four:
Wonder Woman- the main character
Harley Queen- Her roommate.
Supergirl- Powerful but clumsy "Superman's Cousin".
Batgirl- Civilian-turned-Superhero. Tech-geek.
Poison Ivy- Weird shrinking violet.

Supporting Characters:
Cheetah- Token Rotten Catgirl.

Filler:
Frost- Wallpaper.
Star Sapphire- "Little Princess"-type.
Hawkgirl- Hall Monitor. Wallpaper.

The Faculty: (not statting these)
Amanda Waller- Principal
Gorilla Grodd- Vice-Principal, former villain.
Crazy Quilt- Supersuit Design teacher.
Wildcat- Gym Coach.

-For Power Levels, I was gonna go with super-rookie PL 7s, but watching some later Webisodes shows that they're actually pretty capable fighters, even if they are fighting amateurs and weaklings. Star Sapphire, for example, ANNIHILATES Killer Croc in a fight.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.