Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Tiger Shark! Orka! Stingray! Namora!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that. That was..certainly a thing.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 am Now I'm imagining how awesome a legitimate crossover with El Santo and Spiderman would be. Because luchadores are awesome.
As opposed to this, I assume?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 am Now I'm imagining how awesome a legitimate crossover with El Santo and Spiderman would be. Because luchadores are awesome.
As opposed to this, I assume?
Heh, beat you to it. ;)
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

But yeah, I love the idea of a magical lucha mask that grants powers to its wearers as it's passed down through the generations..which makes me remember Mucha Lucha was a thing (does anyone else remember that show? It sure was weird.)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:03 am But yeah, I love the idea of a magical lucha mask that grants powers to its wearers as it's passed down through the generations..which makes me remember Mucha Lucha was a thing (does anyone else remember that show? It sure was weird.)
I remember it. It was one of two Lucha Superhero themed kids shows at the time, along with El Tigre.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL, was NOT expecting a massive amount of comments inspired by EL MUERTO. I guess I made the right choice in using him as today's one "M" build :).
Shock

Post by Shock »

Hellboy in Mexico had Hellboy teaming up with a bunch of Luchadores for a bit
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I guess none of you have watched Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Moira MacTaggert

Post by Jabroniville »

... DAMN. As a kid, I never realized that Moira was SMOKING hot.

MOIRA MacTAGGERT
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #96 (Dec. 1975)
Role: The Scientist, Team Doctor
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The Muir Island X-Men, Excalibur
PL 6 (118), PL 10 (118) Scientist
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+3)
Athletics 2 (+2)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+14)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+20)-- Flaws: Limited to Biology
Insight 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Technology 7 (+15)
Treatment 11 (+18)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Muir Island Facility & Laboratory, Pulse Rifle +6), Inventor, Ranged Combat 5, Skill Mastery 2 (Science, Treatment), Ultimate Science Skill, Ultimate Treatment Skill

Equipment:
Pulse Rifle +6 (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Pulse Rifle +5 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Loved Joseph MacTaggert, Charles Xavier, Banshee)- Moira's had quite the assortment of men in her life, but only Banshee was seen in the present day- all the others were flashbacks. Her ex-husband, Joe, was kind of a tool.
Relationship (Son, Kevin, aka Proteus)- Moira loved her son dearly, but his extremely dangerous mutant powers made him a threat to himself and others, and the resulting confinement drove him insane. Kevin's madness and eventual death are the greatest failures of Moira's life, and constantly haunt her.
Responsibility (The X-Men)- Moira believes in Charles Xavier's dream, despite not being a human herself.
Obsession (Curing the Legacy Virus)- Moira was the most devoted adherent to finding the cure, especially once she became it's sole human victim.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (118)

Moira MacTaggert- Side-Assistant Character:
-Moira MacTaggert's been part of the X-Mythos for so long, it's hard to imagine things without her these days. Introduced WAY, way back, as a "housekeeper" who was really more of an assistant for Charles Xavier, Moira was cranky, loudmouthed and knew how to fight- basically everything Chris Claremont has a fetish for. We would learn that in addition to being an integral part of the X-organization (being a brilliant geneticist), she was also Xavier's fiancee back in their younger years. And one of the more romantic parts of Claremont's early run was her and Banshee (who imagined a hideous housekeeper upon hearing her name, and did the classic "D-UHHHHHHH, girl PRETTY..." thing upon seeing her for the first time). Older than the new kids, they had a real kinship going on. Moira's purpose in the book was sort of as a "Wise Mother-Figure", giving Charles decent advice while being unafraid to kick him in the ass- sort of a necessary balance against the tendency for Xavier to overpower any X-Book, and restraining him a bit. Her home, a strangely isolated "Muir Island" off the coast of her native Scotland, was kind a shorthand base of operations for the team to occasionally visit, or see some kind of weird high-tech thing that didn't fit in with the X-Mansion. Clarermont having a general appreciation for the UK (owing to a childhood spent there) made Scotland a solid choice.

-She was integral to the "Proteus" story arc, which occurred quickly. Her backstory was thus explained- when she left Charles, she married Joe MacTaggert, and bore him a son named Kevin. Kevin grew into a supremely powerful Reality-Warping Mutant, and was thus locked by Moira in a containment cell for the rest of his life. This was the reason behind her genetics research- she was attempting to find a cure for her son. However, she failed- Kevin grew psychotic due to his entrapment, and when he escaped, he nearly killed thousands. Colossus was forced to kill him to save everyone's lives, and Moira was forced to mourn him again.

-Moira remains a recurring character, now retconned into being the foster mother of abandoned Rahne Sinclair in the New Mutants book. She and Banshee finally leave for Muir Island, at which point they disappear from a lot of the narrative- they are in the backdrop when the X-Men are thought killed in Dallas, and she has her mind taken over by the Shadow King for a while. Though she's freed, it is revealed in ANOTHER retcon that she was given the care of Magneto after he'd been reduced to infancy by The Stranger. There, she performed unethical genetic modifications, hoping to prevent him from growing up to be a villain once more. Enraged upon discovering this, an adult Magneto assaults her and mentally tortures her as part of X-Men #1-3, right before Claremont leaves the books. Though it's discovered that mutant powers negate her modifications (Magneto forced her to alter the X-Men into being his loyal kin, and using their powers broke the change), she was agonized enough over her actions that she quit the X-books, leaving a heartbroken Banshee behind. And thus wrote many of them out.

Post-Claremont Moira:
-Moira fell into disuse for a couple of years, even when Banshee & Emma Frost were central to Generation-X, but instead popped up in Excalibur, with Muir Island serving as their new base. Here, she attempted to find her own cure for the Legacy Virus- in a strange twist, she even ended up CONTRACTING IT- the first human sufferer. In itself, this was kind of a metaphor for the first non-gay people to contract the AIDS virus in the United States, turning it from "Gay Cancer" into a truly universal threat. However, as Excalibur under Warren Ellis was a far-diminished book, it was soon cancelled without a payoff to her story arc- she was just a "Team Mom" again.

-Eventually, however, she DID cure the disease. But in the X-Men book instead. In a pretty harsh version of "getting rid of extra stuff we don't need", Muir Island was destroyed and Moira fatally shot by Mystique, acting as a mutant terrorist again. A dying Moira successfully transferred her knowledge to Charles Xavier in her final moments, dying having spared the Mutant race from death. She was thus unavailable for Grant Morrison's X-revival- he'd wanted to use both her and Colossus, but Marvel disallowing resurrections made it impossible. Having Moira die a savior to mutants was perhaps fitting, but to me, this really stands as one of those moments where killing off a major supporting character really did permanent damage to the books- Moira was pretty easily THE BEST "Human Ally" the X-Men ever had, and a truly great character in her own right.

-At once maternal but EXTREMELY tough, she was brilliant in her own right, and a handy way to make the Professor or Beast NOT have to solve everything themselves. Characters like this are great ways to shore up the rosters of any kind of a book- as Tom DeFalco said, good supporting characters should reflect the main character/s in some way. In Moira's case, she showed the more human, less-militant side of the X-Men. That they had a human best friend who was also integral to the team kept them from being this weird, possibly-dangeruos band of outsiders to a degree. That she had the requisite guilt (over her son's mutation and death) only made her MORE perfect for the books. She was wise and smart without Xavier's militancy and stodginess, too- it kept things a bit lighter. In all, the mutant books are worse for her passing.

Moira's Skills & Abilities:
-Moira isn't a combat character, but is certainly no slouch, being a match for elite police officers or Thugs as long as she has that big gun (in a New Mutants annual, she blasted Richard "Nova" Rider out of the sky) she had during the Muir Island X-Men days. Otherwise, she's just a TRULY elite supporting cast as far as genetics goes, being a master even beyond Hank McCoy's level. Her Treatment is about as high as it gets in the Marvel Universe as well, and she's overall extremely intelligent.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Moira's hotness varies wildly depending on the artist
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

The death of Moira reminds me of how little is left in the way of non-superpowered supporting cast members exist in the X-Men books. Once, there used to be the numerous family members of the X-Men and New Mutants, Moira, the dance instructor/physical therapist, security officer, and nurse (all of whom popped up in New Mutants in its original run), Hank and Warren's girlfriends (varied for Beast, Candy Southern for Angel), Logan's Japanese girlfriend Mariko and his semi-adopted daughter, etc., etc. But after the turn of the millennium, the books seemed to turn completely insular. Supporting cast were killed off or written out for good. Pity.

Jab, you also mentioned in passing about how Namor's 1970s era stories are more or less completely ignored by current Marvel writers; part of this is related to the whole "comic book time/sliding chronology" thing-initially, Namor was supposed to have been amnesiac and wandering for about a decade. So having some of the early stories involve his still-living father, 1940s girlfriend, and so on made perfect sense...but now those stories would basically be impossible to have happened as they were written at the time. Hell, under the most generous possible interpretation, Namor's former police woman girlfriend would have been in her mid-eighties, if Namor is retroactively said to have resurfaced (pun intended) in the early oughts. Even his 1990-1995 title run is suspect (and BTW-a 5 year run ain't bad for a character like Namor)-a crucial character was a scientist whom Namor had saved when the man was a young boy, in the early 1940s. If Namor's adventures as the head of "Oracle Industries" is pegged as about seven years ago, Marvel-time, then the guy would have been in his late seventies (still sort of OK for the storyline, but...)

Same thing happened to a LOT of Marvel characters honestly-mostly because Stan never figured the superhero revival would last longer than 10-15 years, and so casually tied so many of their origins to specific historical events (WW II, Vietnam, etc.). Hence the periodic mini-reboots-like Sharon Carter going from younger sister to niece of Peggy Carter (and then getting "aged up" considerably, so they wouldn't have to do the "grand-niece explanation), Iron Man and the Punisher's shifting origins, and quite a few others.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Moira Brandon

Post by Jabroniville »

MOIRA BRANDON
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Don Hudson
First Appearance: Avengers West Coast #100 (Nov. 1993)
Role: Faded Movie Star

-Moira Brandon is the famous old starlet whose house was turned into the West Coast Avengers' compound in their team book. She was mentioned from time to time before that, but never seen- she was basically a star whose career had faded away long ago. She only appeared in an issue where Crossfire tried to kill Hawkeye & Mockingbird- Moira unexpectedly arrived on the scene, felling the villain with a crossbow. Dying, she was made an honorary Avenger by a grateful Hawkeye.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mayhem

Post by Jabroniville »

MAYHEM (Brigid O'Reilly)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & Ed Hannigan
First Appearance: Cloak & Dagger #1 (Oct. 1983)
Role: Insane Vigilante
PL 9 (146)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Police Officer) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Paralytic Gas"
Affliction 9 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cloud +3, Reaction +3) (Flaws: Limited to People With Exposed Bloodstreams) [54]
Mind Control 5 (Flaws: Limited to Telling The Truth, Limited to Gas Victims) [10]
Flight 4 (32 mph) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Paralytic Gas +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Punishing Drug Dealers)- Killed as a result of contact with drug dealers, Mayhem resurrected into a hateful creature who only seeks to hunt them down.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 72 / Defenses: 11 (146)

-Mayhem's a minor-league Cloak & Dagger character, initially appearing as a "Friendly Police" character who would help out the duo from time to time, while showing some disappointment with their methods (aka every Friendly Police character in comics), but she eventually died due to some experimental gas from Big Pharma (Big Pharma was an enemy in the EIGHTIES- talk about being prescient!), but was resurrected by Dagger... but not without some side-effects. Now she's a half-crazed vigilante who goes on a tear, frequently killing criminals with her Paralytic Gas power. She murdered the man responsible, a corrupt cop, and began a merciless war on criminals. Her only appearance since the 1980s seems to be as one of a hundred "potential recruits" for The Initiative program in Civil War: Battle Damage Report.

-Mayhem has an EXTREMELY powerful Paralytic Gas that can affect everyone close to her at all times, though only if they're bleeding first (sort of like Adam-X, The X-TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEME!!). To this end, she often claws at people in hand-to-hand. As bad as she is, she's only PL 5 unarmed, so isn't a major threat until the Gas gets involved. Also she can fly for some reason, and contact with her gas wipes out Dagger's Light Daggers, probably owing to her origin being related to Dagger's powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Mayhem is presently getting quite a revival in the live-action Cloak and Dagger TV show, which I think is excellent.

In the show, Mayhem split off as a separate character from Brigid when Brigid was apparently drowned in a Roxxon-infected swamp.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Manslaughter

Post by Jabroniville »

MANSLAUGHTER (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Peter B. Gillis & Don Perlin
First Appearance: The New Defenders #133 (July 1984)
Role: Crazed Assassin
Group Affiliations: The Defenders (Associate Member), Assassin Nation
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7/11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Assassin) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 5 (+10)
Technology 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Guns, Explosives), Hide in Plain Sight, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Alter Peripheral Senses"
Concealment (Vision, Hearing) 3 (Flaws: Partial) [3]
Enhanced Fighting 4 [4]
Enhanced Dodge 4 [4]
Senses 4 (Mental Detection- Ranged 2, Tracking) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Concealment +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+11 Concealment, DC 17-21), Parry +7 (+11 Concealment, DC 17-21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Insane)

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 6 (117)

-Manslaughter was a crazy assassin assigned to kill The Defenders, stalking and nearly-killing them in their Colorado base. However, he was defeated (having taunted the team beforehand about his intentions, they prepared for him, and set up several "fake deaths" to lull him into a false sense of security), after which he aided them against Moondragon and the Dragon of the Moon (being insane, he decided that he wanted to join a team tough enough to beat him)- he was turned to dust along with the team. He was resurrected alongside the others in a Doctor Strange tale, and vanished- his last known appearance is in the short-lived early '90s Cage solo book, where he teamed up with two other Jobbers in "Assassin Nation" (hee), kidnapping Luke Cage's dad, but being defeated. He hasn't appeared since, and given that this story was written in 1993, I think it's safe to say he died when the Corporation's building burned down.

-Manslaughter has the odd power to perceive and affect the autonomic nervous systems of other people- using it to alter their peripheral vision and hearing. He can be undetectable to people, so long as he's out of their direct line of sight and moves silently. He managed to take out Valkyrie using her own weapon (it was poisoned as well), so he's definitely no pushover, but of course thanks to New Villain Stink he's diminished a bit over time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.