Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skaramine

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shrinking Violet! Lightning Lad! Matter-Eater Lad!)

Post by Skaramine »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:35 am
Ares wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:55 am So yeah, Matter-Eater Lad has people defending him. Go figure.
And throwing our lacy undergarments.
And thus began the Civil War between the Teen Titans and the Legion.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Skaramine wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:49 am
Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:35 am
Ares wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:55 am So yeah, Matter-Eater Lad has people defending him. Go figure.
And throwing our lacy undergarments.
And thus began the Civil War between the Teen Titans and the Legion.
Nightwing and Night Girl!? Donna Troy and Matter Eater Lad?

I'm going to need more lacy underthings.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Garth and Dawnstar.

Do silk boxers count?
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There actually was a Teen Titans / Legion of Superheroes crossover in the late 90s. I want to say Dan Jurgens was on art duties.

Ah, here it is. Titans/Legion: Universe Ablaze

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Ultra Boy! Sun Boy! Shrinking Violet! Lightning Lad!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:31 am Image

Tenzil is the man. Most of my favorite characters from the LSH weren’t actually on the team (Laurel Kent, Night Girl, Polar Boy) but Matter-Eater Lad was on the official squad and he was awesome.

He knew that most people thought that his powers were a joke, so he played up to that image and didn’t let it bother him. In fact, he usually used it to his advantage... But, in truth, his powers were actually incredibly potent (just ask the Miracle Machine) but he nevertheless was happy to play the fool.
I want this man's power just so i can have the following conversation;
Cop:"So let me get this right;he pulled a gun on you and you just....ate it?"
ME:"yes officer."
COP:"Why?"
ME:"Cause i was feeling hungry & needed my Iron,so...." :lol:
RainOnTheSun

Re: Matter Eater Lad

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:19 am
MATTER-EATER LAD (Tenzil Kem)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #303 (Dec. 1962)
Home Planet: Bismoll
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
I know very, very little about the Legion of Superheroes, but every time I see Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities, I wonder what the rest of the planet thinks of the Legion.

"Hey everybody, the galactic federation of guys who can barely even eat is making a superhero team and they want us to send one of our superheroes. You don't have a job, right, Tenzil? Put on these tights, you're Matter-Eater Lad now. No, I'm serious, that's enough to make them think you're a superhero. Get this--you know water? Without it their entire species dies. Yeah, it's kind of depressing, try not to think about it."
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 am There actually was a Teen Titans / Legion of Superheroes crossover in the late 90s. I want to say Dan Jurgens was on art duties.

Ah, here it is. Titans/Legion: Universe Ablaze

DC Wiki confirms that it was Jurgens on both story and pencils.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Re: Matter Eater Lad

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:35 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:19 am
MATTER-EATER LAD (Tenzil Kem)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #303 (Dec. 1962)
Home Planet: Bismoll
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
I know very, very little about the Legion of Superheroes, but every time I see Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities, I wonder what the rest of the planet thinks of the Legion.

"Hey everybody, the galactic federation of guys who can barely even eat is making a superhero team and they want us to send one of our superheroes. You don't have a job, right, Tenzil? Put on these tights, you're Matter-Eater Lad now. No, I'm serious, that's enough to make them think you're a superhero. Get this--you know water? Without it their entire species dies. Yeah, it's kind of depressing, try not to think about it."
yeah, a lot of Legionnaires have "Racial Abilities", making it a bit strange to send people with basic, everyday abilities to the squad. Sometimes they attempted to deal with this, like Cosmic Boy's two replacements in two separate continuities, Magno & Magnetic Kid. In some cases, the powers were INCREDIBLE, like Cosmic Boy's & Mon-El's.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Also: OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

https://www.calgaryexpo.com/en/guests/voice-actors.html

Calgary Comic Expo has some pretty good celebrity guests this year- Michael J. Fox had to cancel (kind of puts a damper on the Back to the Future cast mostly showing up), but Chris Jericho, Cary Elwes, Jeff Goldblum and others are great "gets". Wallace Shawn is showing up again, which is surprising- not that many celebs show up repeatedly... unless they're Jason Momoa, who pretty much makes this his job.

Catherine "Worst Office Character Ever" Tate cancelled as well, but...

GODDAMN PAIGE O'HARA & JODI BENSON YOU GUYS!!! Belle and Ariel are gonna be there! Apparently O'Hara in particular is really nice in person. I really hope they don't cancel, though it's only 2 weeks away and I don't imagine they'd be that busy (both kinda just do "Disney Princess tours" on cruise ships or whatever, though O'Hara is a "Disney Painter" as well. Oh, and Pocahontas will be there, too. God I hope she doesn't end up with a depressingly-short line compared to the others- it's always sad when you see "Groups of Celebs" from the same show, and one has a really tiny line because they're the least-popular character (Once Upon A Time's "Witches" all showed up one year, and Ursula had NOBODY compared to Cruela & Maleficent. Regina, of course, had a line-up that matched Neil Patrick Harris's).

Eesh- fifty bucks for autographs, though. That's pretty steep, considering they're just Voice Actors. I mean, that's MAJOR celebrity pricing- I'm pretty sure Carrie Fisher was selling autographs for that price at the last Edmonton Expo (those... are probably worth more now). I mean, I believe in paying folks for their time & effort in getting here, partially out of gratitude, but... I ain't an autograph collector. I don't even remember where I put Dante Basco's "Bangarang!" autograph. It was just cool meeting Zuko/Rufio. But that's some serious cash.

And wouldya look at the Cast List for Wreck It Ralph 2- a Wiki-hole following Irene "Pocahontas" Bedard's career led me to this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5848272/fu ... cl_sm#cast.

And the whole Archie crew's coming back! Since apparently their "Modern Relaunch" has been amended to "also including some new stories in the old style", they might actually have new stuff to tell (their last Panel was more or less "yeah, being an artist is a sickness; you don't get paid well and you're assumed to be replaceable! Yay!"). Don Rosa is reappearing also!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Laurel Kent

Post by Jabroniville »

0_0!!! Good Christ! Those OUTFITS!!! And those are CANON!!

LAUREL KENT
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Mike Grell
First Appearance: Superboy #217 (June 1976)
Home Planet: Earth (Descended from Kryptonian)
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities- Inherited
Eras: Original Only
Relationships: None
Role: Super-Powered Guest Star, Lazy Girl
PL 10 (111)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4, +6 Attractive)
Technology 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Attractive, Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Power Attack

Powers:
"Kryptonian Physiology" Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 19) [20]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +15 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Lying Around in a Power-Thong & Poncho)
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Kryptonite)- Laurel will lose her durability, and soon begin to die, if exposed to Kryptonite, the element of her ancestor's dead homeworld.
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Red Sun Radiation)- Earth's Yellow Sun empowers Laurel- without it, she will soon lose her powers. Red Sun-based energies will do much more damage to her. Typically, Brainiac-5 will give her some kind of protection against this weakness.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 6 (111)

-Not even worthy to join the Legion of SUBSTITUTE Heroes, Ms. Kent here is the distant, distant ancestor of Superman himself, but his bloodline has diluted so much that she's ONLY nigh-invincible, as opposed to all his other powers. Now, if she were to learn some martial arts or something, she could've been one HELL of a Legionnaire, since she could kick some butt and ALSO be impossible to injure (if they allowed someone to duplicate Supes', Mon-El's, & Ultra-Boy's invulnerability, of course), but nope, she was a side character, doomed to lounge around for eternity except for the occasional appearance or mention, never showing up too much. 90% of what she's known for is laying about "Academy Headquarters" wearing nothing but a big red "S"-shield poncho, or wearing one of the skimpiest costumes in comic book history- a little black bikini thing.

-The Crisis on Infinite Earths was especially cruel to Laurel- possibly due to Editorial Edict, her history was revealed to be a fake- instead of being a descendant of Superman's, she was actually one of a few DC characters (including the dog of one of the Golden Age Manhunters) to be revealed as MANHUNTER ANDROIDS, despite those being from the 20th Century. She she "activated" in the Legion's timeline, showing flight and heat-vision all of a sudden. She flew off to the Manhunter base in the Himalayas and self-destructed, which is a pretty epically-weird way of writing out a character.

-The Reboot Era does not feature her at all- however, a "Supergirl" analogue, Andromeda, has the name Laurel Gand, which is pretty clearly an homage to the Silver Age character. The character has not appeared since her self-destruction, despite ample opportunities for DC to mess around with the idea of "Superman's Descendant"- some fans speculate that a descendant seen in the future in a Batman/Superman book was Laurel under a different name, but that's it.

-The most notable aspect about her is probably the fact that she spent 24/7 in a big red poncho that looked like Superman's cape. As in, that was ALL she was wearing- unless she was wearing a bikini so small it'd get you arrested in BRAZIL. A quasi-nudist with invulnerability? Why isn't she more famous again? I've gone into the fact that it's bizarre how a team made up of the silliest super-names imaginable had some of the most adult adventures out there, but also related is the fact that so many members are scantily-clad exhibitionists! And it's a team of TEENAGERS, too!

-Essentially she's just a normal person with very little in the way of useful abilities (she didn't do a whole heck of a lot from the sound of it), but happens to have Superman's complete invincibility. I threw on the Immunities for the hell of it, because I assume those are part of the 'invulnerability' package. So she's PL 10, but only because she's nearly-impossible to hurt.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:42 am Also: OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

https://www.calgaryexpo.com/en/guests/voice-actors.html

Calgary Comic Expo has some pretty good celebrity guests this year- Michael J. Fox had to cancel (kind of puts a damper on the Back to the Future cast mostly showing up), but Chris Jericho, Cary Elwes, Jeff Goldblum and others are great "gets". Wallace Shawn is showing up again, which is surprising- not that many celebs show up repeatedly... unless they're Jason Momoa, who pretty much makes this his job.

Catherine "Worst Office Character Ever" Tate cancelled as well, but...

GODDAMN PAIGE O'HARA & JODI BENSON YOU GUYS!!! Belle and Ariel are gonna be there! Apparently O'Hara in particular is really nice in person. I really hope they don't cancel, though it's only 2 weeks away and I don't imagine they'd be that busy (both kinda just do "Disney Princess tours" on cruise ships or whatever, though O'Hara is a "Disney Painter" as well. Oh, and Pocahontas will be there, too. God I hope she doesn't end up with a depressingly-short line compared to the others- it's always sad when you see "Groups of Celebs" from the same show, and one has a really tiny line because they're the least-popular character (Once Upon A Time's "Witches" all showed up one year, and Ursula had NOBODY compared to Cruela & Maleficent. Regina, of course, had a line-up that matched Neil Patrick Harris's).

Eesh- fifty bucks for autographs, though. That's pretty steep, considering they're just Voice Actors. I mean, that's MAJOR celebrity pricing- I'm pretty sure Carrie Fisher was selling autographs for that price at the last Edmonton Expo (those... are probably worth more now). I mean, I believe in paying folks for their time & effort in getting here, partially out of gratitude, but... I ain't an autograph collector. I don't even remember where I put Dante Basco's "Bangarang!" autograph. It was just cool meeting Zuko/Rufio. But that's some serious cash.

And wouldya look at the Cast List for Wreck It Ralph 2- a Wiki-hole following Irene "Pocahontas" Bedard's career led me to this one: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5848272/fu ... cl_sm#cast.

And the whole Archie crew's coming back! Since apparently their "Modern Relaunch" has been amended to "also including some new stories in the old style", they might actually have new stuff to tell (their last Panel was more or less "yeah, being an artist is a sickness; you don't get paid well and you're assumed to be replaceable! Yay!"). Don Rosa is reappearing also!
There's a convention right here in my town over the week-end with a monster list of guest (Neal Adams and Frank Cho, just to name a couple), but the ticket prices are a murder: 120 € per day, plus commision and autogrph fees?! I don't think so.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Holy crap- 120 Euros is a TON, if I remember my conversions correctly from Paris. Yikes. The Calgary Expos were like $40 a day when you could see the ENTIRE CAST of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Crazy.

Lee & Adams are making their way over here, too. Along with ROB LIEFELD of all people- I'm tempted to bring all my art of 12-year old me attempting to copy his comic book covers :). Or just get him to sign Cable's first appearance so I can sell that comic for 200 times the $1 I paid for it :).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Catch up:

Tyroc- might work a lot better today than ten years ago. Today, we have a black separatist movement, at least in the US, that wants to completely disengage from white culture. Just call it 'New Wakanda' and everybody is happy. It'll be the most advanced intentionally backwater planet, they just use the huts as disguise on how awesome they actually are.

Is it sad that I actually did a translate search on the binary output?

Teen Titan/LSH crossover- Lots of characters there that I don't recognize. I'm guessing that they are from the newer eras.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ken

Post by Ken »

If by newer eras you mean "twenty years ago instead of thirty or fourty" yeah.

The issue, during the five years later era, when Tenzil tried to prove that a Flight Ring was actually a Green Lantern power ring (it was powerless against anything yellow) was one of my favourite comics ever.

I'd like to say I wish we could've seen more of Laurel Kent, but if we did, it would've been in violation of the Comics Code. So, I'll say I wish she could be seen more often.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Err.... good... point.

Time passes oddly sometimes.

So, anybody else collect the LSH Who's Who back in the day?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.