Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Stone Master! Rifts Atlantis Finished!)

Post by Spectrum »

Is there a set pattern to the order of the books you're working on?

If possible, I would love to see your take on the Wormwood setting. With the completely over the top body horror heroes, has to be my favorite book that I own in the series!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I’m looking first for the books I enjoyed the most (Japan, Juicers), then books that were important and/or relevant. Atlantis in particular is very important to the setting, and Free Quebec details further an important class.

I generally avoided Dimension Books, so I’ve never read Wormwood. I managed to find a copy, so maybe some day.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Wormwoods basically D&D if you mixed it with giant robots some 40kesqe overtones and infernal demon overlords with some cthullu sprinkled in
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spam

Post by Spam »

catsi563 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:22 am Wormwoods basically D&D if you mixed it with giant robots some 40kesqe overtones and infernal demon overlords with some cthullu sprinkled in
and added in several liberal doses of EXTREME 90'S!!!!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 pm I’m looking first for the books I enjoyed the most (Japan, Juicers), then books that were important and/or relevant. Atlantis in particular is very important to the setting, and Free Quebec details further an important class.

I generally avoided Dimension Books, so I’ve never read Wormwood. I managed to find a copy, so maybe some day.
Makes sense!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Glitter Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

GLITTER GIRL O.O.C.
Role:
"WTF" Idea
PL 12 (207)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+5, +6 Suit)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 6 (+8)
Technology 6 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Assorted Gear), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Glitter Boy Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [81]
Growth 2 (Str & Toughness +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) (5)
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 11 (Extras: Impervious 13) (24)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Radiation, Pressure, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (7)
"Laser Resistant" Immunity 10 (Laser Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (5)
Senses 8 (Infravision, UV Vision, Extended Vision 2, Distance Sense, "Radar"- Ranged Radius Radio Sense) (8)
Speed 6 (120 mph) (6) -- (7)
  • AE: Leaping 3 (60 feet) (3)
Features 1: Food Compartments (1)
Immunity 4 (Visual & Audio Dazzles) (4)
Stealth -4 (-2)
Remote Sensing 2 (Vision) (Flaws: Limited to Assault Cannon's Field of Vision) (2)

"Mini-Missiles" Blast 10 (Feats: Extended Range 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (32)
-- (101 points)

"Double-Up Assault Cannon" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Limited to ST 5+) [33]
"Rail Gun" Blast 13 (Feats: Triggered- Vocal Command, Improved Critical, Ranged 2) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (40 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Glitter Girl Punch +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Double-Up Assault Cannon +10 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+8 Armor, DC 18), Parry +8 (+7 Armor, DC 17), Toughness +2 (+15 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Adventure)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 115 / Defenses: 15 (207)

-The most laughably-silly, clumsy thing in the Free Quebec book is unquestionably the "Glitter Girl", which is supposed to be about female equality and women being a big part of the military, but instead features a series of pin-up style "Cheesecake" shots of... female-shaped power armor. Like, glamor-girl poses and BUTT SHOTS, complete with sculpted metal ass-cheeks. It's even SILLIER than the shit in the Schumacher Batman films. I really have no idea what they were aiming for here- it seems like it HAS to be a huge amount of comedy. But they spend PAGES on this! They make a big deal out of how elite the pilots are, and how "they want their opponents to know they just got their asses kicked by girls". It's just... so RIFTS to have something this dumb.

-The Glitter Girls are said to be fantastic fighters, and they spend half a page on their stupid swivel-mounted gun that can be operated remotely... but it's worse than the Boom Gun. MUCH worse. In fact, it lowers their PL by 1 (I boosted it back up a bit by adding 1 to Ranged Attack). And the much-vaunted "mobile" Girl armor is actually only a tiny bit faster than the Glitter Boy (it notably does not add to Dodging compared to regular GBs, making all that talk just that... all talk). The only thing making it pricier than a Glitter Boy is the fact that it ACTUALLY HAS BUILT-IN MISSILES, meaning it can do something if the main gun gets shot off. And it can swap out the dumb Assault Cannon for a Boom Gun anyways, which you should probably just do.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

You have probably answered this question, are you going to to the Deities book? I enjoyed some of their takes on them, just curious.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

RUSCHE wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:36 pm You have probably answered this question, are you going to to the Deities book? I enjoyed some of their takes on them, just curious.
I enjoyed that book for the Martin art (and I copied the “Gods in modern times” sensibilities for my own Jabverse), but I don’t like statting full characters.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm
RUSCHE wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:36 pm You have probably answered this question, are you going to to the Deities book? I enjoyed some of their takes on them, just curious.
I enjoyed that book for the Martin art (and I copied the “Gods in modern times” sensibilities for my own Jabverse), but I don’t like statting full characters.
Understood, thank you for the builds and reply.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts Free Quebec! Glitter Girls!)

Post by catsi563 »

the GGs were a bit silly In execution but the idea was interesting. the girls were supposed to be superior pilots to the average GB pilot who had both males and females.but the GGs were all fems and even better. they were supposed to be scouts spec ops styler snipers hit and run types to slow down forces for the big guns and *hint hint* look good doing it for propaganda purposes/ So all the GG pilots were big stars and sex symbols on top of military officers.

come soff a bit silly but group I was in got some mileage out of the concept with my own Glitterboy (girl) pilot joining them for a short bit and making a bit of hay as a free Quebec celebrity. =^_^=
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Descended GB Pilot

Post by Jabroniville »

THE "DESCENDED" GLITTER BOY PILOT O.O.C.
Role:
The First Game-Breaker, Ultimate Mechs
PL 12 (175)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+10)
Intimidation 3 (+6, +7 Suit)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 6 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Officer's Rank), Equipment 2 (Assorted Gear), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Glitter Boy Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [54]
Growth 2 (Str & Toughness +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) (5)
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
"Laser Resistant" Immunity 10 (Laser Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (5)
Senses 8 (Infravision, UV Vision, Extended Vision 2, Distance Sense, "Radar"- Ranged Radius Radio Sense) (8)
Speed 5 (60 mph) (5) -- (6)
AE: Leaping 3 (60 feet) (3)

Stealth -4 (-2)
-- (67 points)

"Boom Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Limited to ST 5+) [47]
"Rail Gun" Blast 15 (Feats: Improved Critical, Ranged 2) (Extras: Penetrating 12) (Quirks: Requires Planting in the Ground) (44)
Linked to
"BOOM!" Dazzle Hearing 8 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Touch Range) (32)
-- (75 points)

Offense:
Glitter Boy Punch +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Boom Gun +9 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+8 Armor, DC 18), Parry +8 (+7 Armor, DC 17), Toughness +3 (+16 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Adventure)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 101 / Defenses: 15 (175)

-Of course there's something like this- the "Descended" Glitter Boy Pilot- essentially and elite version of the game's most powerful class. These guys are said to be the direct descendants of the legendary initial group of Glitter Boys that allowed Free Quebec to escape devastation from monsters and demons from the rifts. As they can trace their lineages back 10 generations or more, they are favored by the Quebec government, given officer training, and the works. Their Skill list is even more robust than that of a Glitter Girl, but they have that "Rifts Problem" where most of the skills are just "Technology" in M&M, because M&M doesn't have the time to dig through whatever variety of Communications training you might have.
Jabroniville

Tarantula GB

Post by Jabroniville »

GLITTER BOY O.O.C. (Tarantula Armor)
Role:
Alternative Glitter Boy
PL 12 (183)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 6 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Assorted Gear), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Tarantula Glitter Boy Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [74]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 13 (Extras: Impervious 13) (26)
Stealth -4 (-2)

"Forearm Ion Blaster" Blast 11 (Feats: Extended Range) (23) -- (24)
  • AE: "Vibro-Blade" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (9)
-- (92 points)

"Shaker Cannon" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Limited to ST 5+, Limited to Tarantulas Or Else They Take Damage/Reductions to Hit) [26]
"Rail Gun/Plasma Ejector" Blast 14 (Feats: Ranged 2, Variable- Plasma/Laser/Rail Gun) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (41 points)

Offense:
Vibro-Sword +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Shaker Cannon +9 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+7 Armor, DC 17), Parry +8 (+7 Armor, DC 17), Toughness +2 (+17 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Adventure)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 100 / Defenses: 14 (183)

-The Tarantula armor is pretty close to the expected "Like X, but BETTER!" approach to Rifts World Books, but is thankfully not quite as extreme. It features about 70 more MDC (enough for two really good SAMAS Rail Gun shots and that's it), and different stabilizers- two pairs of "fins" behind them. This isn't really that great for Boom Guns, as only the first shot in a round gets a bonus to hit. So it wields the "Shaker" cannon instead, as well as coming packed with two different kinds of weapons, making it a tad more versatile than a Glitter Boy.
Jabroniville

Taurus GB

Post by Jabroniville »

GLITTER BOY O.O.C. (Taurus Armor)
Role:
Alternative Glitter Boy
PL 12 (164)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 6 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Tarantula Glitter Boy Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [54]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 12 (Extras: Impervious 13) (25)
Stealth -4 (-2)
-- (67 points)

"High-Powered Mortars" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Limited to ST 5+, Limited to Tarantulas Or Else They Take Damage/Reductions to Hit) [26]
Blast 14 (Feats: Accurate, Ranged 2) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (41 points)

Offense:
Mortars +9 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+8 Armor, DC 18), Parry +8 (+7 Armor, DC 17), Toughness +2 (+16 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Adventure)
Power Loss (Mortar Accuracy)- Mortars are very poor at hitting Glitter Boy-sized (or smaller) targets.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 80 / Defenses: 15 (164)

-Like the Tarantula, the Taurus Glitter Boy is a more durable GB with a worse weapon- "High-Powered Mortars" that do 2D6x10 Damage, and are so specialized that they basically only work well against vehicles or giant monsters. So... artillery, but worse at being artillery than actual Glitter Boys, despite these requiring Reload Teams & Sidekicks, and boasting such importance that they had to be Robot Armors rather than Vehicles, because otherwise they'd be way too easy to pick out for enemy fire. Oh, and they're like... 30 MDC tougher than a regular Glitter Boy. Basically, someone drew cool art of a GB with TWO giant Boom Guns, and so we have this thing.
Jabroniville

Triax GB

Post by Jabroniville »

GLITTER BOY O.O.C. (Triax Glitter Boy)
Role:
The First Game-Breaker, Ultimate Mechs
PL 12 (175)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 6 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Glitter Boy Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [80]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Stealth -4 (-2)

"Mini-Missile Launchers" Blast 10 (Feats: Extended Range 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (32) -- (34)
  • AE: "Anti-Personnel Laser" Blast 10 (20)
  • AE: "Vibro-Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (10)
-- (100 points)

"Boom Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Limited to ST 5+) [47]
"Rail Gun" Blast 15 (Feats: Improved Critical, Ranged 2) (Extras: Penetrating 12) (Quirks: Requires Planting in the Ground) (44)
Linked to
"BOOM!" Dazzle Hearing 8 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Touch Range) (32)
-- (76 points)

Offense:
Boom Gun +9 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+8 Armor, DC 18), Parry +8 (+7 Armor, DC 17), Toughness +2 (+15 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Adventure)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 127 / Defenses: 15 (201)

-Reprinted from the first Triax and the NGR book, the Triax Glitter Boy, or "Cyclops", is a lighter, more versatile GB. It uses the regular Boom Gun, has 100-ish less MDC, and sports some extra weapons. Weapons that are sub-par, sure, but VASTLY increase the points-cost of this unit, as now they're part of a standard Device, and not a weapon that's easy to lose.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts Free Quebec! Glitter Girls!)

Post by catsi563 »

I think the basic intent of the new GBs was that they weren't just out there alone, they were meant to be used in formations.

basically you had a squad of 3-5 regular GBs a tarantula and a Taurus or 2 a couple of GGs. then the Taurus and Tarantula focused fire on heavier targets while the GBs laid down suppression fire and the GGs flanked the enemy sniping officers and calling out targets for the artillery

that said they mixed up the weapons a bit they should've been heavier

Catsi stories