[2.5e] Freedom City Adventures - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [2e] Freedom City Adventures (extensive house rules) - recruiting

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

He's basically a completely standard powerhouse asside from the extras gained via house rules, so the super strength was what it was. I can see about sorting through it aome more later though, sure. I'll give the entire thing a passover later and make some adjustments, though in the end I suppose he dosn't really have anything worthy of a complication if those aren't.
Last edited by Doctor Malsyn on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:He's basifally a completely standard powerhouse asside from the extras kbrained via house rules, so the super strength was what it was. I can see about sorting through it aome morenlater though, sure. I'll give the entire thing a passover later and make some adjustments, though in the end I suppose he dosn't really have anything worthy of a complication if those aren't.
Having Complications can come in handy because I use a limited GM Fiat pool. Plus, it's a way for you to invite the kind of trouble you want, rather than something I throw your way that you're "meh" about. Sometimes your own powers can be used against you, e.g. Wolverine's metal skeleton. Sometimes your background (old enemies, the source of your powers), etc.

It also allows you to contribute to the plot by saying, "I'd like this story to happen." And since we're in the FCU, there's plenty to draw on. You can tie your origin into something existing which not only deepens your connection to the setting, but allows you to draw on those ready-made details.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Many good points, I'm just thinking to superficial. When I can review some of the FCU pdfs I have later, perhaps I'll come up with more things. All that will have to be when I can use my computer later.
------------
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Okay, I think I've gotten things in tangible order, and have hopefully provided better complications.
------------
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:Okay, I think I've gotten things in tangible order, and have hopefully provided better complications.
Cool. Let's call it a lock. If we get Fuzzy, Hero and ZG locked, we're go for launch!

Any questions about the other rules in play?
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Powercore is more or less locked in, however, I have a question. I enjoy the image I have for him, yet he doesn't wear a mask, is that something I need to worry about mechanically, or can we say the Clark-factor is in effect? Meaning I can conceal my identity with horn-rimmed glasses, a cardigan and a slouch.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

You need a Feat addressing it if you have the Identity Complication.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Sorry. Meant to look this over last night, didn't get a chance until my lunch hour today.
badpenny wrote:
FuzzyBoots wrote:STR: +0 (10), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +0 (10), INT: +10 (30), WIS: +5 (20), CHA: +0 (10)

Skills: Computers 8 (+18), Concentration 8 (+13), Craft (electronic) 8 (+18), Craft (mechanical) 8 (+18), Disable Device 8 (+18), Investigate 4 (+14), Knowledge (technology) 10 (+20), Perception 10 (+15), Sense Motive 8 (+13)
If anyone is going to have ranks in CHA, I'd assume it to be him? I'd think he'd need some ranks in Bluff, too, to pull off his seeming "playing the role," no?
That was part of what my ranks in Profession (Salesman) and Perform (Oratory) were, to have him playing a part, not through any real natural charisma, but rather through drilling on it over and over again. ^_^
badpenny wrote:
Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (ranged) 4, Attack Specialization 2 (Palooka Gauss Pistols (Device 5)), Beginner's Luck, Dodge Focus 5, Eidetic Memory, Improvised Tools, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Luck, Online Research, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Skill Mastery 2 (Craft (Electronic), Craft (Mechanical), Disable Device, Knowledge (Technology)), Well-Informed
Quick Draw's not needed.
Noted.
badpenny wrote:
Powers:
Palooka Bipolar Boots (Device 2) (Hard to lose) [8 pp]
. . Flight 3 (Speed: 50 mph, 440 ft./rnd) [6 pp]
. . . . Leaping 6 (Alternate; Jumping distance: x100)
. . . . Speed 6 (Alternate; Speed: 500 mph, 4400 ft./rnd)
. . Super-Movement 1 (wall-crawling 1 (half speed)) [2 pp]
You call them "boots" but the picture shows a jet pack. Just want to clarify that. If they're boots I always thought Leaping plus a Feature "Can Hover" would be a cool way to go.
I didn't have time to search for a really good picture and the Retro Gadgeteer was a close-ish match. :) I'll see if I can find something better. If you're coll with the idea of "can hover" as a 1 PP feature, I could swap that out.

badpenny wrote:
Palooka Handyman Toolkit (Device 1) (Hard to lose) [4 pp]
. . Comprehend 1 (languages - understand all) [2 pp]
. . Enhanced Trait 3 (Feats: Eidetic Memory, Improvised Tools, Jack-of-All-Trades) [5 pp]
Not sure I follow the Comprehend in the toolkit. Enhanced Eidetic Memory strikes me as a stretch. Maybe I get the JoAT, but it feels like a reach. This one is...iffy.
The basic concept (which I probably ought to have written out) is that it's sort of a Hitchhiker's Guide (or an Internet-on-a-tablet) thing where he can look for information, or get an automated translation of what's been said to him. To be honest, the Improvised Tools and the Jack-of-All-Trades was all I really started with as a concept, but that's 2 PP out of the 5 PP that need to be in a Device.
badpenny wrote:
Complications
  • Responsibility (corporate mascot) - "Palooka Joe" is a character who represents the Bradley company. John has to be careful about not messing with that image.
I'm not sure I see what situation arises that's worthy of an HP. It sounds like roleplaying. To me, a Responsibility Complication would be something like a teenager who has to be at school and has to deal with the consequences of ditching to fight crime. School and parents/etc will be on you.
Possibilities include him seeing that he can solve a scenario but only acting in an unheroic way unbefitting of his character's image (say, shooting the ranting villain in the back or collapsing a building on him), has a ready solution that involves picking up and using competitor weaponry ("It can't be! Palooka Joe using ACME Atomic Roller Skates?"), or simply being ordered off by Bradley Tech ("John, I know you really want to fight the Femmazon, but, well, we're trying to get a supply contract with Senator Waters and she's big into that whole 'I am woman, hear me roar' thing; it might scotch the contract.")
badpenny wrote:
[*]Responsibility (research) - In between his crimefighting efforts, John works hard to advance Bradley technology. He really isn't holding back on an energy solution. He just hasn't found it yet.
How does this cause you trouble? While I get that Complications can be used to flesh a character out, I also need them to be operationalized.
This kind of gets into what you said before about responsibilities to school and family. When he's not the in office, inventing, the competition is gaining ground. Also, he has a bit of an obsession with finding that solution, which adds hooks for things to draw him in.
badpenny wrote:
[*]Code of Behavior (kayfabe) - John takes his character seriously and has been known to take extreme measures to maintain it, such as showing up and fighting as Palooka Joe after he, as John, was known to have broken his ankle skiing (he made constant use of the jet boots to prevent weight going onto his ankle, and he still re-injured it badly enough to know know when it's going to rain). He also grew up on syndicated episodes of Freedom Friends, and defaults to believing that villains will try to avoid excessive collateral damage, and that all heroes are upstanding paragons of morality.
I'm not sure I get this one. Secret ID? Also sounds a little gullible? Mild delusional?
^_^ A little of all of the above. Basically, he's a Silver Age hero in a lot of ways, and likes to see the whole superhero/supervillain thing as nonpersonal, and something where people follow rules. I can move the secret identity bit to its own Complication.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

FuzzyBoots wrote:That was part of what my ranks in Profession (Salesman) and Perform (Oratory) were, to have him playing a part, not through any real natural charisma, but rather through drilling on it over and over again. ^_^
Well, I see what you're trying for, but with the way I'm re-organizing the skills, you'd just choose Bluff over Profession/Perform.
I didn't have time to search for a really good picture and the Retro Gadgeteer was a close-ish match. :) I'll see if I can find something better. If you're coll with the idea of "can hover" as a 1 PP feature, I could swap that out.
Only if you want to go that way. It wasn't a push.
The basic concept (which I probably ought to have written out) is that it's sort of a Hitchhiker's Guide (or an Internet-on-a-tablet) thing where he can look for information, or get an automated translation of what's been said to him. To be honest, the Improvised Tools and the Jack-of-All-Trades was all I really started with as a concept, but that's 2 PP out of the 5 PP that need to be in a Device.
Unfortunately, it comes off as either something meta to buy to have in your back pocket, or something bordering on a plot device in that it seems--rather than bleeding edge--is sci-fi even for the FCU.
Possibilities include him seeing that he can solve a scenario but only acting in an unheroic way unbefitting of his character's image (say, shooting the ranting villain in the back or collapsing a building on him), has a ready solution that involves picking up and using competitor weaponry ("It can't be! Palooka Joe using ACME Atomic Roller Skates?"), or simply being ordered off by Bradley Tech ("John, I know you really want to fight the Femmazon, but, well, we're trying to get a supply contract with Senator Waters and she's big into that whole 'I am woman, hear me roar' thing; it might scotch the contract.")
That would be excellent for a solo campaign. But your NPC and company, unless they become the plot for everyone, just comes up in between adventures which isn't a Complication, but roleplaying. I'd rather see something where you integrate into the larger FCU, anchoring yourself with plot hooks into FCU characters or organizations.
This kind of gets into what you said before about responsibilities to school and family. When he's not the in office, inventing, the competition is gaining ground. Also, he has a bit of an obsession with finding that solution, which adds hooks for things to draw him in.
But this has nothing to do with the FCU. It's all fodder for the Palooka Joe show, and not the team show.
^_^ A little of all of the above. Basically, he's a Silver Age hero in a lot of ways, and likes to see the whole superhero/supervillain thing as nonpersonal, and something where people follow rules. I can move the secret identity bit to its own Complication.
How you play your character is left up to roleplaying choices. Behavioral Complications have to be compulsions, things with true consequences. Bottom line: it's not a "no," but a "how?"
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

The link below is an old character that I can retool to make him house rules compliant. IIRC he was a gently tweaked "Martian" archetyoe from Instant Hero.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 25#p816525
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Hero4hire wrote:The link below is an old character that I can retool to make him house rules compliant. IIRC he was a gently tweaked "Martian" archetyoe from Instant Hero.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 25#p816525
I vaguely remember that game.

I'm fine with that character, though I have some notes: Put points into skills (no JoAT).
Charisma: 14 (+2)
You can take two CHA-related Feats.
Morph: Any Humanoid - Power Rank 10 - Cost 21 (2 * 10 + 1)
Power Feats: Metamorph [Human Form with Traits]
Morph is limited to 4 ranks and you don't need Metamorph. I'd just as soon as see it as a Normal Identity Complication if you feel you need to go there, but you'll have to tell me how he can be denied his powers. In general Metamorph has always felt like an exploit, an AP of your whole sheet, which is bonkers.
AP: Density - Power Rank 6 - Cost 1 (0 * 6 + 1)
Power Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2, Subtle
Affects Insubstantial is one rank, but needs a descriptor to know what kinds of Insubstantial you can affect.

Other than that, good to go.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Is this still recruiting? If so, what is the deadline for submission?
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

CaptainChaos wrote:Is this still recruiting? If so, what is the deadline for submission?
I am still recruiting and I haven't set a deadline. So come on in, the water's fine.

Though, that being said, I strongly encourage you to look over all the changes I'm making in the link to the house rules.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Thanks. I read the house rules the other day and many are the same or similar to ones other GM's have used in games I've been in. I've also been reading the feedback to other players to get a better idea of what you're looking for. I'll go through them again during character generation though.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

badpenny wrote:You need a Feat addressing it if you have the Identity Complication.
Fair enough, we'll go with a half cowl that covers the face cheekbones & nose, while keeping the jaw & mouth exposed, and of course the hair would be open as well.

I am also going to go over his complications again this weekend, using the Advantage & Disadvantage conditions, to give them more mechanical kick.