[2.5e] Freedom City Adventures - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
badpenny

Re: [2e] Freedom City Adventures (extensive house rules) - recruiting

Post by badpenny »

ZenGypsy wrote:
badpenny wrote:You need a Feat addressing it if you have the Identity Complication.
Fair enough, we'll go with a half cowl that covers the face cheekbones & nose, while keeping the jaw & mouth exposed, and of course the hair would be open as well.
Appearance is up to you, but what I'm talking about is either Quick Change or a Feature, like what Princess in 3e has, to account for you not being recognized. The other option, if you don't want to pay for it, is to spend 10 rounds changing, which means that if you're out of costume and it goes down, you have to place your identity directly in jeopardy (to earn the HP) or blow up the Complication altogether.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I have a question regarding skills. In the house rules it states Profession is part of the background. If I wanted to have my character be a scientist I need to put points in the appropriate science skill. Is that correct?
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

CaptainChaos wrote:I have a question regarding skills. In the house rules it states Profession is part of the background. If I wanted to have my character be a scientist I need to put points in the appropriate science skill. Is that correct?
Yes, just like a lawyer would put points into Kn (Civics). I'm only interested in having players pay for things that will actually get used in the game.
badpenny

Re: [2e] Freedom City Adventures - recruiting 'til 12/16

Post by badpenny »

I decided to put a deadline of this Friday, 12/16 in effect, so get your builds squared away. I know the holiday season is coming and things tend to lie low during that period, but let's wrap this stage up.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

This is a rough draft. Background, Complications, and Drawbacks are in progress. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Zephyr
Secret Identity: Doctor Leslie Darcy

Power Level: 10; Power Points Spent: 150/150

Abilities:
STR: +0 (10), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +5 (20), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

Saves:
Tough: +2/+10, Fort: +8, Ref: +8, Will: +8

Skills:
Bluff 8 (+10), Athletics 4 (+4), Concentration 10 (+12), Diplomacy 10 (+12), Gather Information 8 (+10), Investigate 8 (+13), Knowledge (life sciences) 12 (+17), Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+9), Knowledge (technology) 4 (+9), Language 4 (+4), Perception 8 (+10)

Feats:
Attack Focus (ranged) 5, Distract: Bluff (Free), Dodge Focus 2, Evasion, Quick Change, Well-Informed (Free)

Powers:
Air Bubble (Immunity 2) (suffocation (all))
Air Mastery (Element Control 10) (element: air)
AE: Whirlwind (Blast 10) (Alternate; DC 25)
AE: Wind Gust (Blast 6) (Alternate; DC 21; Cone Area (60 ft. cone))
AE: Wind Shear (Trip 10)
Flight 5 (Speed: 1250 ft./rnd)
Air Density (Force Field 8) (+8 Toughness; Impervious)

Attack Bonus: +5 (Ranged: +10, Melee: +5, Grapple: +5)

Attacks: Unarmed Attack, +5 (DC 15), Whirlwind (Blast 10), +10 (DC 25), wind Gust (Blast 6) (DC 21), Wind Shear (Trip 10), +10 (DC 20)

Defense: +10 (Flat-footed: +4), Knockback: -9

Initiative: +2

Languages: English, French, Latin, Russian, Spanish

Totals: Abilities 26 + Skills 20 (80 ranks) + Feats 9 + Powers 51 + Combat 26 + Saves 18 + Drawbacks 0 = 150

Background:

My name is Doctor Leslie Darcy. I work as a researcher in Biochemistry at ASTRO Labs in Freedom City. I have a nice condo in Midtown and I live a fairly ordinary life. I grew up in Connecticut. My childhood was typical. My interest in biology and biochemistry started when I was thirteen. My grandmother got very sick and died a couple of years later. I remember listening to the doctors talking about trying this drug and that drug. I asked the doctors why my grandmother got sick and other grandmothers weren’t. They explained that everybody’s immune system was different. Kind of like why some people get colds and flu all the time and some people rarely do.

I decided at that time to devote my life to helping people not get sick and live longer.

After high school I was admitted to the Hanover Institute of Technology in Freedom City. It was a great honor and a wonderful experience. After that I attended Freedom City University and received a Master’s degree and Doctorate in Biochemistry, graduating with high honors. Even before I graduated I received numerous job offers from many prestigious companies and universities. I interview with a few including Grant Conglomerates. Ultimately I decided to accept an offer from ASTRO Labs.

My life changed dramatically the day I was a guest lecturer at Freedom City University. A tornado touched down on the campus grounds and was heading towards the building. I assisted the faculty in getting the students out of the lab and towards safety. Thinking I still had enough time, I ran back in to shut down the experiment. The tornado was moving faster than I expected. Winds in excess of 200 miles per hour smashed into the side of the building sending brick, glass, and other debris flying dangerously everywhere. I was thrown across the room and hit the wall hard. I thought my back was broken. Then something exploded and I blacked out.

I woke up in Freedom Medical Center with broken bones, lacerations, severe bruising, and a concussion. I later learned that Doctor Stratus claimed responsibility for the devastating tornado that killed dozens of students and faculty. Weeks went by before I returned to work.

I discovered my powers by mere chance. It was a hot day in the city and I was sitting in Liberty Park wishing for a cool breeze. My wish came true as a nice cooling breeze started. As I strolled around the park, admiring the scenery, it struck me as odd that there didn’t appear to be breezy anywhere else, only where I was. I freaked out and went home to try to relax. I then did the only thing I could think of, I contacted someone I felt could help me. I contacted the Freedom League. I nearly fainted when The Raven showed up the next day. She asked me dozens of questions and had me try to replicate the event at the park. I nearly destroyed my living room with the uncontrolled wind I generated. The Raven suggested I visit Duncan Summers at Claremont Academy. She insisted that he could arrange the training I needed to control my awakening powers.

I took her advice and soon I was training at the Academy alongside the students during my free time. Mr. Summers had provided me with a basic costume and mask prior to my training to help protect my identity. He taught me more than just how to control my powers. He taught me about responsibility. He taught me that it was my duty to use my powers to help protect others. I knew in my heart that he was right. I had always admired the people that put their lives on the line to protect others, the Police, Firefighters, the military, and the costumed heroes of the world. When I was ready, I introduced the people of Freedom City to its newest heroine Zephyr.

Complications:

Protector: Zephyr has a deep seated need to protect others from harm. Sometimes this results in the villain getting away.

Enemy: White Knight. Zephyr has encountered the White Knight a few times. Only once has she been able to defeat him and bring him to the police. The other encounters ended with him escaping after taking advantage of Zephyr's overriding need to protect others.

Other:
Quirk: Snakes. Leslie hates snakes and will avoid them whenever possible.
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I modified Palooka Joe to fit your criticisms and to add at least one explicit Freedom City tie.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

CaptainChaos wrote:This is a rough draft. Background, Complications, and Drawbacks are in progress. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
We're only using Complications. Drawbacks are only allowed on powers, e.g. Noticeable, or Low Ceiling for Flight--minor limitations.
Abilities:
STR: +0 (10), DEX: +2 (14), CON: +2 (14), INT: +5 (20), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +2 (14)

Skills:
Bluff 8 (+10), Athletics (+4), Concentration 10 (+12), Diplomacy 10 (+12), Gather Information 8 (+10), Investigate 8 (+13), Knowledge (life sciences) 12 (+17), Knowledge (streetwise) 4 (+9), Knowledge (technology) 4 (+9), Language 4 (+4), Perception 8 (+10)
Athletics combines Climb, Ride and Swim and is based on STR. I'm not sure where the +4 bonus comes from without points invested in it....
Flight 5 (Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd)
I know this is from Hero Lab, but just to point out a single Move is 5xMPH, so instead of 2200 ft, it would be 1250 ft.

Excellent work, Cap!
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Everyone's characters are approved. We have four, maybe five if Hero4Hire submits something.

I've updated the house rules many times in the past few days, so give it another go-over. A couple of housekeeping things:
  • Update your movement powers to reflect the 5xMPH adjustment (if you're using Hero Lab's default calculation).
  • Array slots are limited to 5
  • Make sure you take a CHA-related Feat for each +1 CHA bonus (and note it on your sheet)
  • Change Notice to Perception (and fold in Search if you bought it separately)
  • If you spent points on purely Background Skills, spend them elsewhere.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I did put ranks in Athletics. Must be a typo. I'll double check after work tonight. I will correct the Flight feet per round as well.

Thanks
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I added a background and some Complications. I also fixed the Flight speed feet per round and the Athletics skill ranks.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Modified Power Core's Array to fall within the allowed number of slots; given the wide descriptor and 2 Ranks of Luck, I pretty much assumed Power Stunts were going to be his thing.

I dropped a point from my Immunities, and analytical from my super senses. I picked up Morph (Civilian > Power Core), called it Molecular Rearrangement, and added Precise to it, to simulate yes he can only change to either Alek or his Heroic Identity, BUT, when switching to Alek he can change his clothing. I then made it a Standard Action to activate.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

ZenGypsy wrote:Modified Power Core's Array to fall within the allowed number of slots; given the wide descriptor and 2 Ranks of Luck, I pretty much assumed Power Stunts were going to be his thing.
Luck is limited to one aspect of a Hero Point (like in the Book of Magic, or 3e), so you can take them both as Luck: Improvisation (for buying off the Fatigue from a Power Stunt), or Luck: Determination (take Advantage on a given roll).
I dropped a point from my Immunities, and analytical from my super senses. I picked up Morph (Civilian > Power Core), called it Molecular Rearrangement, and added Precise to it, to simulate yes he can only change to either Alek or his Heroic Identity, BUT, when switching to Alek he can change his clothing. I then made it a Standard Action to activate.
The Quick Change Feat for 1pp would let you get into costume as a Free Action; 2pp would let you assume any clothes. Just sayin'.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Updated my Luck to Luck: Improvisation. I'll keep his Morph as is, because it now allows him to change his face/physique enough to go mask-less, like the image, in his Heroic Identity.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

I think everyone's squared away now.

:arrow: What's the availability over the next few weeks?

I'm wondering if we should start the full campaign and then hit a holiday lull, or do something super brief to get our little piggies wet and then truly start in the new year?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I am pretty much wide-open to post outside of Christmas day itself. :)