(OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: (OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU) ; winding down submissions

Post by Spectrum »

So what I'm hearing is that you're quarrelsome and difficult to get along with? ;)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

To Prof. Weird - Does Mozou have a real name, or was that the only one given to her by Dr. Green?
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

On a more relevant note, I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure if 'changing phase states' is a 4/rank use of transform, it can't change something's shape, can't turn one thing in to another, it's essentially just the ability to Melt or Freeze things without damage. Would 3/rank be acceptable? (And if so, what's amount of object transforming would you be comfortable with? it's currently at 12 pounds, but i could bump it up to 25 or 50 with a cost decrease, or just use those points elsewhere for better skills/more fluff abilities.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

My real name is Tim Jackson. I have no issues with having Mangrove on a public site.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spectrum wrote:So what I'm hearing is that you're quarrelsome and difficult to get along with? ;)
Hey Jim. Want to explain the A-G thing?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Ken wrote:Hey Jim. Want to explain the A-G thing?
Not really....

but I will anyway. 8-)

Ken sometimes has a very non-linear way of thinking. He has a tendency to jump over the steps that most people need to reach a conclusion, thus jumping from step A to step G without having to hit B, C, D, E and F in the process. This can confuse some people as they don't see how he comes to his conclusions or, if they don't see the possible end that he's reached, think he's being unreasonable.

As the person who comes closest to "getting" Ken, I can tell you that, most of the time, he's right on track and just needs to explain what he's thinking better. He can't really explain how he got there, as he did the jump, but if you communicate with him, he can help you get to where he is as well. You just need to ask questions and communicate. He's very willing to help, if given the chance.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
MetaShaman

Re: Unnamed RCU Florida Game, recruiting

Post by MetaShaman »

jcjec wrote:
MetaShaman wrote:Quirk - Alternate Earths: Citizen Blue, Black, and Pink are from different Earths than Earth K (Blue=Earth-M, Black=Earth-V, Pink=Earth-F). There may be several distinct differences in events and common knowledge which could cause humorous misunderstandings.
Quick Question - What is Citizen Pink's first name?
Donna.
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

jcjec wrote:
Not really....

but I will anyway. 8-)

Ken sometimes has a very non-linear way of thinking. He has a tendency to jump over the steps that most people need to reach a conclusion, thus jumping from step A to step G without having to hit B, C, D, E and F in the process. This can confuse some people as they don't see how he comes to his conclusions or, if they don't see the possible end that he's reached, think he's being unreasonable.

As the person who comes closest to "getting" Ken, I can tell you that, most of the time, he's right on track and just needs to explain what he's thinking better. He can't really explain how he got there, as he did the jump, but if you communicate with him, he can help you get to where he is as well. You just need to ask questions and communicate. He's very willing to help, if given the chance.
I also make what my friends call "quantum leaps of deductive reasoning". At least when I am not doped up on meds. :oops:

But instead of people being frustrated with me I used to get impatient waiting for them to follow the steps to get to the (usually) same conclusion.
Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

You had me at Gulf Coast Guardsmen...

ON the ATT, I played a character who was part of the Gulf Coast Guardians. Same concept, regional heroes except base in the Texas area. That character, Wraith, has been one of my most cherished characters. When the campaign ended after four years, Wraith had become a recognizable force within that "Earth". If you wouldn't mind, I would like to bring Wraith back and give him another life within your campaign. Wraith is a Warlock of Shadows...think DC's Shade crossed with Dr. Strange. His powers come from a trapped demon soul within his body...a demon that very much wants to either wrest control from Wraith or escape from the prison it is confined to.

I am going to post his origin story. It had a different take as the Guardians were a hero group that started out with a sponsor. That sponsor held tryouts for prospective members. The story will be changed and tweaked to fit within your storyline.
A beginning...
Standing at the edge of the crowd, the figure goes unnoticed for several heartbeats. Then the cold sets in, chilling everyone nearby. Breath frosting, the form steps forward, bringing with it a palpable haze that seems to darken everything. Striding forward, Wraith passes by the United Petroleum placard, trailing a hand across the top of it. In that brief moment, Stephyn spots the two Council minders in the crowd, trying to remain inconspicuous. And failing horribly. The smirk that plays across his face is brief lived as the darker emotions in him bring back painful recent memories.

It had been raining...a cold October night. The job was to have been an easy one. A great first hunt for the new recruit. The local preteens were going to do the annual haunted house dare. Stay the night in the Thompson place. Normally, that would have meant nothing more than a few twelve year olds running home to mommy and daddy when they heard the first noise. Except that this year, one of the preteens had caught the council's eye as having potential. Jack told Stephyn that all they had to do was make sure that the imminent poltergeist conjured by the latent didn't do too much damage. That was it...just babysit the kids and keep the ghost on a leash.

“Just go in quiet...let them get all worked up and spooked. Then, you make sure they get out when they start running and I'll collar the 'Geist, “ Stephyn didn't know that would be the last words he would hear from his mentor and friend. No one knew that the latent had discovered his powers and had been hiding them. Nor did they know that he had already passed the poltergeist stage and went straight to serious evil. Especially the three that accompanied him...the three that had only came this night torment him. Revenge is never pretty. The revenge of a latent mage is even uglier.

The memory and the pain cause Wraith to stop for a second. To those looking at Wraith, he seemed to “blur” abit as his shadow seemed to rise up and envelop him. Glowing runes flare briefly about him and then fade as his shadow slides back to the ground.

The Latent had summoned a Wraith. A soul sucking apparition to devour his tormenters. Jack Morgan recognized the problem the minute it crossed over. Without hesitation, the elder hunter stepped in between the kids and the spirit. The Latin words spill across his lips as he quickly starts a banishment only to end in a gurgle as the foul ghost reaches into Jack's chest. Training forgotten, Stephyn rushes the Wraith in hopes of saving his mentor. Before three steps are taken, Stephyn is swept aside with a wave of the Latent's hand. Slamming through the wall, Stephyn crashes to the floor among a pile of debris.

Angered at the loss of his original targets , the Latent turns his attention to the Hunter and the Wraith. With a sadistic glee, the demonic child watches as the Wraith drains the life from Jack. With the last of his life fading, Jack turns towards Stephyn and mouths the word blood before passing. Dazed and trapped by the wreckage, Stephyn can only watch as his friend and teacher dies. When the Wraith finishes, it turns its still hungry eyes towards Stephyn.

Blood....Jack had mouthed the word blood. Still fuzzy, Stephyn recalled something in his training about blood making a ritual...banishment stronger. Blood...Stephyn needed blood. A quick scan of the mess, the young hunter finds a razor sharp shard. Acting more on instinct than knowledge, Stephyn's hand grasps the shard and begins carving a symbol on his left wrist. Ignoring the pain and the impending doom, Stephyn croaks out the same Latin that his mentor did. However, this time the magic is fueled with blood...blood of a willing sacrifice. The last thing Stephyn remembers is the icy cold hand as it touches his chest and the fiery pain in his wrist.

As he gets to the try out area, Stephyn Parthenos stops again and turns around to look directly at the Council Enforcers. The look said...back off...I am here already and I don't need your approval...

Stephyn woke up at a Council safehouse...under guard. Confused and angry, the young hunter was eventually brought before the Council Elders. It seems that instead of banishing the Wraith, Parthenos had actually bound the shade to his body. And he had used Blood Magic...something forbidden. And a trusted hunter had died. The sentence was a forgone conclusion...death. Stephyn Parthynos was to be executed for being a host to a demonic power and the use of forbidden magic.
And death would have been the outcome if not for Stephyn's uncle, Alexandros. Arguing that his nephew wasn't an evil man, ghost or no. That he was, instead, a strong man for taking on the imprisonment...yes imprisonment, of the such a powerful creature could only confirm his integrity. They should be helping him understand the ramifications of such a position, not condemn him for his sacrifice.

In the end, shamed yet wary, the Council decided to grant young Parthenos a chance to prove his Uncle's faith true. He would get that chance by using his newfound abilities to help others...United Petroleum was looking for individuals with special abilities. People willing to place themselves in harms way...mean and women who would sacrifice themselves for the many.

Looking back at the table of men and women before him, Stephyn Parthenos rises into the air and glides forward, “Let Darkness beware, I am Wraith and the Shadows are my domain.”
Hero4hire

Post by Hero4hire »

Shadowbourne wrote:You had me at Gulf Coast Guardsmen...

ON the ATT, I played a character who was part of the Gulf Coast Guardians. Same concept, regional heroes except base in the Texas area.
I remember that game. I believe I played two different characters there. "Mr. White" a government spook with psionics and "Tension" a rich computer whiz ninja wannabe with stretching who ended up being a alien spy. I remember having to keep that under my hat as the GM sprung the idea upon me (you have been playing a shapeshifting alien spy).

Fun stuff.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hero4hire wrote:
jcjec wrote:
Not really....

but I will anyway. 8-)

I also make what my friends call "quantum leaps of deductive reasoning". At least when I am not doped up on meds. :oops:

But instead of people being frustrated with me I used to get impatient waiting for them to follow the steps to get to the (usually) same conclusion./quote]

1) Thank you Jim.

2) The problem I run into is that sometimes when I get to Step G from Step A, I'll miss one or more of steps B through F, simply because I wasn't thinking in that direction. Which means that when I'm explaining things, I'm working to see the steps the other person needs to take, too. It can be a chore. And when the other person becomes agitated or dismissive because it's a chore, I can get irate.

3) Mr. Jackson, I hope we find our quantum steps are similar.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

This brings up a point of awkwardness that I've had in a couple of pbp games. Do you have a good guideline of telling between things that don't add up a) because of plot holes or b) things that we really should notice?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spectrum wrote:This brings up a point of awkwardness that I've had in a couple of pbp games. Do you have a good guideline of telling between things that don't add up a) because of plot holes or b) things that we really should notice?
Okay, my hope is that most of those types of things would be fall into "b" because, yes, sometimes there will be things that don't add up, and the not adding up is meant to be a clue. However, we are human, so sometimes there may be a plot hole.

The best guideline is usually treat it as a thing to notice, but if there's any doubt, any question, just ask. I'm going to leave this thread, the OOC thread going expressly so we have a place for out of game discussions and questions. And, if its something you want to ask privately, send a PM.

And if you do caach a plot hole, we'll probably try to turn it into a clue.

Basically, we're all human. Life happens. We're not all going to see the same things. I know this, and I know we're all here to have fun. And I'm too old to take things personally.

Ken

Re: (OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU) [full up]

Post by Ken »

Okay. Shadowbourne's character, and Shadow13's pending submissions will put us at the "ten" I first mentioned, and with us looking at starting on Friday... probably just as well. Hence my marking us full-up.

Shadowbourne, please try to get that submission in before Friday morning.

Shadow13, if you're out there, you too.

Just as a heads up, while we're still starting on Friday, I can safely say it'll be a slow start. The childhood friend of Jim's who was my roommate in College is moving this weekend, and I have a family thing on Saturday. Basically, we know now that the weekend will be busy for Jim and myself. We're still going to start on Friday, but we want you to be aware.

Oh, and when it comes to rolling, we'll be using Coyote Code. Hero4Hire put me onto it in his game, and I like it.

Spectrum

Re: (OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU) [full up]

Post by Spectrum »

Yay! Looking forward to it.

Did you guys decide on which character sheet to use? Or maybe one somewhere in between? Mechanics aren't my strong point.