(OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jcjec

Re: Unnamed RCU Florida Game, recruiting

Post by jcjec »

ZenGypsy wrote:I've updated Magnaflux, with a full background and complications. I have scrapped the idea of a metahuman dictator, and just used the existing setting element of IOGWP, and used the Magnoplasma phenomenon as a basis for Seth's empowerment.

A couple mechanical notes, theoretically Create is limited to PL, but only because you can 'drop' objects on people. Seth primarily uses his Create to form simple geometric barriers centered on him, ie. No range. I also dropped Affects Insubstantial on his Barrier, but I feel that ghosts, and other supernatural phenomenon can traverse the threshold with no resistance, whereas more science based descriptors, dispersed atoms, out of phase particles, super speed vibrations, wouldn't be successful.

I figured the above was just going to be a case of GM fiat, as compared to a full on power loss limitation for one situation that may never come up.

Hopefully the increased fluff works for folks, and I would be more than willing to link my backstory with other submissions so there are some pre-existing relationships among the team.
While we appreciate you trying to accommodate to our universe, in this particular case, we'd rather create something new to accommodate you and use it to fix a piece of RCU history in the process. As IOGWP is one of the big bag guy groups out there, having you and your team be a focus of theirs would be a very large hurdle to jump.

As such, we've created a new middle eastern country for the RCU. Along the lines of the types of countries that have given the US fits in the past few decades, the nation state of Sala'aq has had a long history of crimes against humanity, including - but not limited to - a confrontation with an assemblage of United Nation forces that was led by their former ruler, who took on the Nom-de-gare of Scud. At the end of that confrontation, he was imprisoned under the new regime. That political body was overturned again a few years later by people who shared Scud's mindset and freed him from imprisonment. While he did not return to his position of power, he was brought on as the Minister of Defense under the new dictator.

If you please, let Sala'aq be the nation in which he was sent and received his powers. :)
Last edited by jcjec on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
DeusPravus

Re: (OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU) [full up]

Post by DeusPravus »

Fine with putting Shaper up under my real name, Tyler Hilton, for the RCU. Excited to get started
Prof Weird

Re: (OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU) ; winding down submissions

Post by Prof Weird »

jcjec wrote:To Prof. Weird - Does Mozou have a real name, or was that the only one given to her by Dr. Green?
Mozou is the only name she's ever known, but when 'undercover' (ie, living in the outside world), she goes by Maxine Viridans. ('Maxine' is Latin for 'greatest', and 'Viridans' is Latin for 'green').
MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

Ken wrote:Okay. Shadowbourne's character, and Shadow13's pending submissions will put us at the "ten" I first mentioned, and with us looking at starting on Friday... probably just as well. Hence my marking us full-up.

Shadowbourne, please try to get that submission in before Friday morning.

Shadow13, if you're out there, you too.

Just as a heads up, while we're still starting on Friday, I can safely say it'll be a slow start. The childhood friend of Jim's who was my roommate in College is moving this weekend, and I have a family thing on Saturday. Basically, we know now that the weekend will be busy for Jim and myself. We're still going to start on Friday, but we want you to be aware.

Oh, and when it comes to rolling, we'll be using Coyote Code. Hero4Hire put me onto it in his game, and I like it.
Does this mean we're doing a 10-Man Campaign, or are you cutting it down a bit come before that time?
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

MetaShaman wrote:Does this mean we're doing a 10-Man Campaign, or are you cutting it down a bit come before that time?
We're going ahead with 10 players. Gives you all a lot of options for character interactions.
Jim C.

Shadowbourne

Post by Shadowbourne »

Wraith
Name: Stephyn Anton Parthenos
Affiliations: Consilium de Lumire, Gulfcoast Guardsmen
Height: 5'10”
Weight: 167 lbs.
Appearance: Deathly pale skin and Eurasian features, lend Stephyn an exotic look. With long black hair with a purple sheen and a sculpted Van Dyke, he becomes almost aristocratic. Brilliant, piercing green eyes and a vulpine cast make it decidedly inhuman. All blend to remind one that Stephyn Parthenos is the predator, not the prey.
Not bound by convention, Wraith favors Victorian Gothic mixed with Urban Streetwear. Greatcoats and waistcoats, Hoodies and Doc Martens all combined with mystic sigils and urban tags, to paint a man caught between two worlds and different times. Predominant among the images are crosses and fanged skulls reminiscent of vampires and bearing the Gothic influence. All of this in a dark swirl of black, plum and burgundy, Wraith casts a foreboding figure.
Distinguishing Marks: Hex/Scar. Wraith has a weird scar/tattoo combination that covers his torso and entwines along his left arm. Carved into his flesh, the scar has runes and sigils along it's length with ink that glistens like his own blood. Scattered throughout are areas where the ink pools into twinkling gems of black blood which pulse with each beat of his heart.

Abilities 38PP
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 4, Dexterity 4, Fighting 3, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Shadowcraft 39PP
Trapped within his body, a creature of darkness rails against a prison of magic and will. By it's very presence, the Shadowbeast has tainted the magic that flows through Stephyn. No longer wielding light, Wraith now slings shadows and darkness in the battle against the very same.
Shadowlance[Ranged Damage 10]]
  • Shadowrend[Damaging Move Object 6 w/ Accurate 2]
    Umbral Edge[Weaken Stamina 8 w/Accurate 3, linked to Healing 8: Self Only]
    Wrapshadow[Ranged Cumulative Affliction 6 w/Extra Condition, Limited Degree vs Dodge, overcome by Will: Hindered/Vulnerable and Defenseless/Immobilized]
    Shadowflow[Insubstantial 3: Shadow w/Movement 2: Slither and Wall Crawling]
    Gloom[Environmental Control 6: Extra Condition, Selective: Cold and Visibility 2]
    Umbral Echoes[Visual Illusion 8 w/ Redirect and Deception 6]
Powerstunts
  • Switchshadows[Ranged Teleportation Attack 1 w/Change Direction, Increased DC7 linked to Teleportation 1 w/Change Direction and Turnabout. Umbral Assault(Damage 4 w/Accurate 1)]
    Umbral Undertow/Shadowslam[Ranged Teleportation Attack 1 w/Change Direction, and Increased DC7 linked to Damage 10]
    Shadowspy[Visual Remote Sensing 10]
    Shadowshunt[Reflective Deflection 10]
    Shadowshards[Ranged Multiattack Damage 6 w/Accurate 2]
    Shadowgate[Accurate, Extended, Easy Portal Teleportation 4 w/Medium: Shadows and Change Direction]
[/i]Shadowkasters[Ranged Attack 4, Enhanced Parry 4, Improvisation 2, Umbral Edge Variable Descriptor 2(Melee Weapon Shadow forms), Physical Damage 2, Shadowsheath:Feature 1: Dimensional Storage]

Duskmantle 29PP
Ever moving and ever flowing, shadows continuously dance about Stephyn. However, they not only swirl around him, but through him as well. Once light shone in every cell of his body. Now he bleeds darkness. Permeating to the core, Wraith is shadow.
Fleeting Shadow[Defensive Roll 5 w/Agile Feint, Evasion, Move-By Action and Uncanny Dodge.] Shadowmeld(Visual Concealment 4: All, Darkness/Shadows Only w/Hide in Plain Sight)]
Shadowglide[Flight 3: Glide Only w/Subtle 2. Leap 2. Movement: Trackless]
  • Shadowdiving[Teleportation 2(120') w/Change Direction, Subtle 2, and Turnabout]
    Shadowtag[Speed 8 w/Feature: Tether(Attach to Target and travel with Target) and Movement +1 Wall Crawling, Limited: Only while Shadowflow is active.]
Ebon Eyes[Senses 4: Arcane Awareness, Darkvision, Sense Hidden]

Advantages 6PP
Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Language 3(Base:English, French, Greek, Latin and Romany), Ritualist

Skills 14PP
Acrobatics 4(8), Athletics 2(4),Deception 2(3/9*), Expertise: Arcane 10(12), Sleight of Hand 4(8), Stealth 6(10)

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +3 DC15
Shadowkaster Strike +3 DC17
Shadowlance +8 DC25
Shadowrend +12 DC21
Umbral Edge +10 DC23
Wrapshadow +8 DC16
Switchshadows +8 DC18 vs Dodge/Umbral Assault +5 DC21
Umbral Undertow/Shadowslam +8 DC18 vs Dodge/DC25 Damage
Shadowshards +12 DC21[23/26]

Defense 18PP
Dodge 10, Parry 10
Toughness 2/7 with Fleeting Shadow
Fortitude 6
Will 8

Abilities 38+ Powers 68+ Advantages 6+ Skills 14+ Defenses 18=144PP

Complications
Errant Shadows: Wraith's bond with the shadowbeast has affected his shadow and all shadows within close range. His shadow has an alien shape that is untterly inhuman a mass of writhing tentacles that pulse and coil . In addition it and all other nearby shadows gain mobility and independence...writhing and coiling like serpents. These shadows will sometimes cling along Wraith's Hex/Scar, enhancing it's already disturbing appearance.
Shadow of the Beast:
Trapped within his body by forbidden magic is a Shadowbeast of the Underdark. Feral and primal, the shadowbeast's instincts sometimes bleeds through.
Evil by Association:
Stephyn Parthenos wields power over shadows and darkness. Mankind has kindled a fear of darkness ever since his first step on land. Because of this, many view the Umbral Warlock as evil...a monster from out of the very darkness they guard against. This disdain will impact any interaction in a negative manner.
Enemy: Emile Fontaine Emile is currently the head of the North American chapter of the Consilium de Lumire. He was primary in seeking young Parthenos execution.

Traditions
Born into a family with traditions is most often a good thing. It means that family is important. It means that you are part of something that is almost immortal. However, not every family tradition is a good thing. And for some, it can be something quite deadly.

Parthenos. A family with a long family tradition...hunting demons. Stephyn's family was part of the Consilium de Lumire, the Council of Light, a centuries spanning organization whose sole purpose was to thwart those with unholy power...preventing their rise to power.

At a young age, Stephyn's parents took a traditional holiday trip, only to never return. In the blink of an eye, young Parthenos was orphaned. His uncle, a valued member of the Council, took Stephyn in and began training him in the family traditions.

The reason he was in Miami University that day is a secret that only a handful of people know. All that is certain is that he was there when the incident occurred. He was there when a tentacled horror flew out of the darkness. Instinct and training took over...Family Tradition rose up in a newly trained member of the Consilium. That day, a creature of darkness met a warrior of light.

The ensuing conflict was both brutal and fast. Flashes of light and dark flowed across the campus as two beings with mutual hatred clashed. The eternal battle between the light and the dark raged on. This time though, in the end, the dark proved more than the light could handle...at first.

Bruised and battered, his weapons shattered, his magic spent, young Parthenos turned to an unthinkable solution. To stop the beast...to save lives, Stephyn Parthenos resorted to the very thing he was trained to prevent. The very thing that his Traditions were designed to rid the world of...forbidden magic.

Grasping a shard of his broken weapons, uttering indecipherable words, Stephyn carved symbols into his very flesh as the Shadowbeast charged at him. With his last bit of strength, Stephyn leapt directly into the mass of writhing tentacles as the spell gained life and ignited...darkness and light became one in an arcane explosion that left only a single body upon the ground. The battle was done...but at what price?

It was almost a week later that Stephyn Parthenos woke. Held for breaking the covenant of the Consilium, Parthenos was to be tried and executed for breaking one of their very basic tenants, the use of Forbidden Magics.

Traditions. His family fought the dark. It was their tradition. It had been that way for centuries. Every day, they woke up and pushed the darkness back into it's little black hole. They never quit, they never gave up. Why should he be any different? Though the darkness was now inside of him, what better tool to use against the dark than itself? His family fought...they always did...and they always will.

And now? Now he will forge that darkness into a weapon for the light. Now he will teach the darkness what fear is.
Last edited by Shadowbourne on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:46 am, edited 28 times in total.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Jim C.

MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

Happy Turkey Day!
Ken

Post by Ken »

MetaShaman wrote:Happy Turkey Day!
And a happy Romania Day to you. ;)
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

Happy Thursday from Canada. :P
MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

I know it's nitpicky, but shouldn't most OOC messages be posted in the OOC thread? Or at the very least accompanied by some corresponding IC content when posted in the IC thread?
Last edited by MetaShaman on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

MetaShaman wrote:Not to sound nitpicky, but shouldn't most OOC messages be posted in the OOC thread? Or at the very least accompanied by some corresponding IC content when posted in the IC thread?
Both Jim and I are a little out of practice, but I'll give him five lashes with a piece of overcooked spaghetti next time I see him for his post about the Complications. :)

And as far as my message about President Franklin's gender and race, I did include the IC content that prompted it.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

Ken wrote:And as far as my message about President Franklin's gender and race, I did include the IC content that prompted it.
By corresponding IC content, I meant something that adds a bit more to the story. One could cut/paste a quote from the IC thread over to this OOC one to point out something that either needed to be addressed or fixed if that was what it was about.

The OOC with corresponding IC would be more along the lines of, and for (poorly executed) example:

"(OOC: Dang dude, that roll sucked. Here's hoping I can do better)

My dude leaps off the balcony and aims his descent to Badbro's current location in hopes that he could break his fall and the villain's ribs in the same move. Man, wouldn't it suck if this missed.

(Insert some coyotecode/orokoz roll links here, likely with unfortunate results despite decent enough athletics bonus to warrant the attempt)

(OOC: Oh boy, here I go fallin' again...)"
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

MetaShaman wrote:Not to sound nitpicky, but shouldn't most OOC messages be posted in the OOC thread? Or at the very least accompanied by some corresponding IC content when posted in the IC thread?
How come when someone says "not to sound (fill-in-the-blank)" that's exactly what they're intending to do. Saying "I know it's nitpicky" would at least be honest.

And yeah, that's a jab about being unnecessarily nitpicky.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Oh! I don't think I've explicitly said, but sure you can use & post Magnaflux ... I will rework his history to whitewash IOGWP and replace it with Scud, and Sala'aq. As for posting rights, sure, you can use my real name, Jake Anderson.

Also, I realize the image I picked isn't exactly a traditional spandex, cape & cowl type look, and he would like an outfit that does in fact conceal his identity. I will look for a 2nd, more appropriate image. I am thinking something along the lines of a black bodysuit with modified combat webbing containing iron filings, ball bearings, screws. Some silver-metallic highlights on the suit itself, and a Magneto-esque helmet he crafts from on hand metals to hide his identity.

A second Oh!

I can guarantee that Racer Blade replaces their blades with some high tensile ceramic blades. But our 1st encounter, oh boy! The thought of their own suit pulling them into the street, or a wall at Mach 1, makes me giggle.