(OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jcjec

Re: Unnamed RCU Florida Game, recruiting

Post by jcjec »

MetaShaman wrote:Also, I don't know where he got the blaster from, I just wanted him to have one, so he could be more Power Ranger-like. Any suggestions as to where a crime fighter with standard intellect could procure one without me defaulting to 'Internet'?
He bought it from CREST in Tampa Bay. Its a scientific development lab, or at least it was until a recent explosion occurred.

Which Florida city does he call home?
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

MetaShaman wrote:
Horsenhero wrote:I haven't kept track...how many apps have you gotten? I'm in a couple games, but their pace has been glacial, so I definitely have room to apply for another game if you aren't swamped in submissions.
Counting mine, four.
MetaShaman is correct. We've had four submissions, and three others that have stated interest - four now, including yourself. So yes, we have room for you if you're interested.
Jim C.

MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

jcjec wrote:
MetaShaman wrote:Also, I don't know where he got the blaster from, I just wanted him to have one, so he could be more Power Ranger-like. Any suggestions as to where a crime fighter with standard intellect could procure one without me defaulting to 'Internet'?
He bought it from CREST in Tampa Bay. Its a scientific development lab, or at least it was until a recent explosion occurred.

Which Florida city does he call home?
Born and raised in Miami. Stuck around there unless he would better serve the plot elsewhere.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

jcjec wrote:Two quick questions for you:
1) What part of Florida has Seth called home?
2) Is the artwork you used created specifically for Magnaflux, or did you take it from somewhere else, and who's the artist?
Being Canadian, I am going to have to say Tampa, as there is an Army Training Camp near there, in case he gets an active call back to duty. As for the artwork it is from the Infamous comic, done by Doug Mahnke.

I just realized I haven't done complications, so I will get on that after dinner! :)

I didn't flaw any of my Magnetic Powers with a limit they only work on metallic, ferrous metals. I was going to take that as a Power Loss complication if that is ok? That way I at least get a HP out of it if the situation comes up ... is that cool with you and Ken?
Last edited by ZenGypsy on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

MetaShaman wrote:Born and raised in Miami. Stuck around there unless he would better serve the plot elsewhere.
Nope. Miami will work fine. We're seeing the group serving the entire state, so anywhere there is fine. :D
Jim C.

Ken

Post by Ken »

ZenGypsy wrote:I didn't flaw any of my Magnetic Powers with a limit they only work on metallic, ferrous metals. I was going to take that as a Power Loss complication if that is ok? That way I at least get a HP out of it if the situation comes up ... is that cool with you and Ken?
Yep. That's cool.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Horsenhero wrote:I haven't kept track...how many apps have you gotten? I'm in a couple games, but their pace has been glacial, so I definitely have room to apply for another game if you aren't swamped in submissions.
Look forward to seeing your submission.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

King Croc

PL 9 144pp

Identity: Wallace G. Dorre
Height: 5' 8"/ 7' 6" (12' Long)
Weight: 170lbs / 1.5 tons
Hair: Brown/None
Eyes: Brown/Yellow
Hometown: Naples, Fla.

Abilities-

Strength 10 Agility 2 Fighting 6 Awareness 2

Stamina 10 Dexterity 0 Intellect 2 Presence 4

Advantages-

All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Artificer, Chokehold, Daze, Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Interpose, Lionheart, Power Attack, Startle, Sacrifice Attack, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage

Skills-

Athletics 8(+18) Expertise:Magic 8(+10) Insight 6(+8) Intimidation 8(+14) Perception 6(+8) Stealth 4(+6)

Powers-

Big Critter: Growth 4 Flaw-Permanent (+4 str. +4 sta. +2 intimidate -2 dodge&parry)*
*added in to listed stats*, Enhanced Strength 1, Limited to lifting. (50 ton lift)

Claws & Teeth: Strength Based Damage 2, Improved Critical 2, Innate
AE-Tail Smash: Affliction 10, close Flaw: limited degree (1st: Dazed, 2nd: Stunned)

Gator Physiology: Enhanced Advantages 3 (Diehard, Favored Environment:Aquatic, Great Endurance), Extra Limb 1 (Tail) Extra: Reach 1,

Swamp Stalker: Swimming 5 (16mph), Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Tracking Scent)

Unstoppable Predator: Impervious 10, Regeneration 2

Defense-

Dodge 6 Parry 6 Fortitude 13 Toughness 10 (imp.) Will 5

Offense-

Unarmed Attack +6 Damage 10
Claws & Teeth- Attack +6 Damage 12 Crit. 18-20
Tail Smash- Attack +6 Effect Rank 10

Totals-

Abilities 56+ Powers 39+ Advantages 15+ Skills 20+ Defenses 14+ 144

Complications-

Secret Identity- When in human form Wally's str, sta, fgt & pre all drop to 2.

Power Loss- If deprived of his magic "swamp water" Wally cannot change into King Croc.

Torpor- While warm blooded, King Croc still doesn't deal well with cold. In temperatures under 40 degrees f, he is considered Impaired (as the condition).

Bad First Impression- King Croc is a giant, reptilian monster...there can be issues.

Origin-

Wallace G. Dorre was not born to be a hero. He was however born to be a practitioner of magic. His talents were limited to creating artifacts of limited duration and utility with a specialty for brewing potions and distilling philters. For years he labored in obscurity under his parents direction, until his parents got caught at their "side job" of smuggling drugs. When they were hauled off to prison, Wally finally felt free to pursue his own passion. Wally's passion would have appalled his parents. Wally wanted to be a super-hero.

Unfortunately for the young mystic, he didn't possess the skill or talent for spellcraft in combat. Hell, without an object in which to infuse power, he couldn't even work magic at all. Still, he had the knowledge, he just needed to discover a way to apply it. For years he labored, until an experiment with potions transformed him into a monstrous beast of incredible physical power. He was shocked to learn this "swamp water" as he'd dubbed the concoction had no effect on his mental faculties. His ambition had a method.

What Wally failed to consider is that a huge gator-man might not be received with open arms by the general public.
Last edited by Horsenhero on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Cool idea HH. I like that both of our characters are so heavily water oriented and take them in completely different directions.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

On Citizen Red- do the alts ever get to call on him in their home worlds?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Thanks for the submission, Horsenhero. It looks good and gave me lots of ideas right off the bat. :twisted:

Shadow13, Jemal and Hero4Hire - how soon do you think you can get submissions to us. We can probably get started as soon as we know what you are wanting to do.
Jim C.

ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

I've updated Magnaflux, with a full background and complications. I have scrapped the idea of a metahuman dictator, and just used the existing setting element of IOGWP, and used the Magnoplasma phenomenon as a basis for Seth's empowerment.

A couple mechanical notes, theoretically Create is limited to PL, but only because you can 'drop' objects on people. Seth primarily uses his Create to form simple geometric barriers centered on him, ie. No range. I also dropped Affects Insubstantial on his Barrier, but I feel that ghosts, and other supernatural phenomenon can traverse the threshold with no resistance, whereas more science based descriptors, dispersed atoms, out of phase particles, super speed vibrations, wouldn't be successful.

I figured the above was just going to be a case of GM fiat, as compared to a full on power loss limitation for one situation that may never come up.

Hopefully the increased fluff works for folks, and I would be more than willing to link my backstory with other submissions so there are some pre-existing relationships among the team.
MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

Spectrum wrote:On Citizen Red- do the alts ever get to call on him in their home worlds?
The power belt doesn't drag them over in a literal sense, it makes copies of them and borrows their power, just like they do for him any time they activate their power belts in their universes. Most often they have a quantum simultaneous thing going on (when he activates the belt they also activate their belts in their respective timeline) causing a crossdimensional crosshatch of power borrowing. Meaning that there is four of each individual across the timelines active when the power belt is used, or at least there is unless a certain timeline has a major deviation that renders using the power belt as something that needn't be done.

So the short and uncomplicated answer is: Yes, but it doesn't change anything.
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

Soon. Just need to finalize which concept I want to run.. Phase or the Cosmic Bard.

My preferred would be:
Darius the Cosmic Bard is essentially a mystical archetype who uses the 'song of the universe' (a primal magic that underlies and is entwined with the very fabric of the cosmos) to perform extraordinary magical feats. Essentially he'd be the standard dr strange/fate mage type but with a musical descriptor. Most of his powers are based on songs, activating effects appropriate to either the lyrics, theme, or 'feel' of the song. (IE singing MC Hammer's "Can't touch this" makes him hard to hit - possibly deflect, incorporeal, or enhanced dodge/parry, wheras "Ride the Lightning" might turn him into a magical lightning bolt that strikes his foes and transports him around, etc, etc). I would prefer using Variable w/ that as the descriptor, but I understand most GM's are leery of it so would be willing to make an Array and take a rank or two of your 'improvisation' advantage to allow for a couple of Power Stunts if needed.
Fluff-wise, he's an old man with the wisdom and experience of age but the personality and optimism of youth, having been kept alive and vital by his music. He's a happy cheery optimistic type but knows when to get serious.
Essentially Patrick Stewart with magic.

However if you're not into that, I'd also like to try out :

Phase is a teen who can alter the vibration of molecules to cause phase shifts, turning solids>liquids>Gasses>Plasma or vice versa. Less scientifically minded people would assume she controlled the elements. (Air>water>Earth>Fire = Gas>Liquid>Solid>Plasma). Depending on what you're ok with I could either play her as a Density type (Can control her OWN phases, with Incorporeal/density), or a controller type (Can control the phases of objects, using Transform to liquify/solidify/etc).
Fluff-wise, she'd be one of those 'young prodigy' types, a bookish young genius who became obsessed with physics to try to explain why and how she can use her powers, and an overwhelming desire to use them to help people.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Spectrum wrote:Cool idea HH. I like that both of our characters are so heavily water oriented and take them in completely different directions.
Well, your character is specifically a water character. My character is basically a Powerhouse archetype with some tweaks to make him regionally thematic.

@jcjec- Anything I can do to help the GM perpetrate evil.

***Some quick design notes for anyone who cares***

1) Yes, his name is an homage to Wally Gator, because Hanna Barbera rocks.

2) He has no immunity to drowning on purpose. He's adapted to water, but he isn't an amphibian. He doesn't even start rolling resistance to drowning for 30 rounds though and his resistance roll is +18. That should be good enough under most circumstances.

3) Potentially he does an evil amount of damage for a PL9 character, but he can't hit for squat and he's easy to target, so I figure it all works out in the end. However, should it be decided he hits too hard, I can move some points into powerlifting, because he's kind of a bush league powerhouse (25 ton lift).

4) He has no nifty strength based Alt Effects on purpose. He's new at this and he hasn't learned any of that stuff yet.

5) He's no dummy. From the looks of things, he's actually going to be the group "magic expert", which is kind of amusing.

6) I tried to keep his capabilities within a tightly limited scope, because while I like guys like Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer and Metamorpho, I also hate them because of the "giant grab-bag o' powers & effects" theme of the characters.