(OOC) Gulf Coast Guardsmen (RCU)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
DeusPravus

Re: Unnamed RCU Florida Game, recruiting

Post by DeusPravus »

Alright, posting character info here, will make edits to include complications and background soon:

Shaper
Hair: Green
Eyes: Blue

Abilities
Strength 0, Stamina 2, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 0, Intellect 8, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Powers
"Omnisphere Alterations:
Creation matrix: Create 2 [Continuous, Movable; Precise, Accurate, Subtle 1, Innate, Reduced Range 2] (10 points)
Alt: Rearrange: Transform 2 [Anything into Anything; Continuous; Permanent, Check Required 2 (Expertise: Science); Accurate 1, Precise] (1 point)
Reactive Field: Protection 7 (7 points)
Altered Mind: Enhanced Intellect 4, Quickness 3 [Limited to Inventing], Quickness 2 [Limited to Mental Tasks; Enhanced Advantage: Eidetic Memory] (11 points)

Warp Boots: [Removable] (7 points)
Flight Boots: Flight 4
Alt: Warp Step: Teleport 3 [; Change Velocity, Change Direction]

Omni-Shaper Gauntlets: (Removable) [Restricted- Creation based power] (27 points)
Enhanced Creation Matrix: Create 7(9) [Enhanced Create; Continuous, Moveable; Adds Ranged to Existing Ranks, Subtle +1, Diminished Range 1] (30 points) [40 array points]
Enhanced Rearrange: Transform 9 [Anything into Anything; Continuous, Ranged; Permanent, Check Required 7(9) (Expertise: Science); Accurate 2, Precise, Innate] (0 points)
Alt: Shield: Create 9 [Alternate of Enhanced Creation Matrix Array; Selective, Impervious, Moveable; Close; Tether, Subtle 2] (1 point)
Alt: Shard swarm: Ranged Damage 7 [Alternate of Enhanced Creation Matrix Array; Multiattack, Penetrating; Accurate 2, Indirect 4, Variable Descriptor 2 (Any Physical), Homing 2] (1 point)
Alt: Atomize: Ranged Damage 7 [Alternate of Enhanced Creation Matrix Array; Linked Ranged Weaken Toughness 7 (Affects Objects); Accurate 2] (1 point)
Alt: Technology Interface: Communication 3 [Radio; Linked to Comprehend Machines 2 and Enhanced Technology 2; Subtle 2, Rapid, Feature 1 (Holographic Display)] (1 point)

Advantages
Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Move-by Action, Improvised Tools, Benefit 1 [Use Intellect for Vehicles],Benefit (Wealthy) Precise Attack 1 [Ranged, Cover], Skill Mastery [Technology], Speed of Thought

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+6), Athletics (+0), Deception (+0), Expertise: Science 6 (+14), Expertise: Engineering 4 (+12), Insight 4 (+6), Intimidation (+0), Investigation 2 (+10), Perception 4 (+8), Persuasion (+0), Ranged Combat: Artificer Array 4 (+7), Sleight of Hand 2 (+5), Stealth (+3), Technology 6 (+14), Vehicles 1 (+9)

Offense
Initiative +8
"Shard swarm +11, Damage 7
Atomize +11, Damage 7
Creation Matrix +9, Damage 9
Rearrange +11, Damage 7"

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9
Toughness 9 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 64 + Advantages 8 + Skills 18 + Defenses 27 = Total 145

Complications
Arrogant: Shaper was an expert in his field before the accident, and still has a bit of an ego when it comes to interacting with others.
Fame: The accident at CREST research facilities that gave Shaper his powers was pretty high profile, and it became near impossible to hide his identity.
Responsibility: Many in the lab weren't as fortunate to make it out intact, and so Shaper views it his responsibility to do the good on behalf of those whom are no longer around.
Power loss: Powers that can nullify tech eliminate the amplification from his gauntlets, reducing them to the base levels.

Design Notes
Fairly straightforward character. An inventor based character, with enhanced abilities similar to Green lantern. Check required (science) represents a need to understand underlying principles of matter when transforming things. With innate powers can create small objects that look and feel "real", and with the gauntlets that allow him to enhance and better control his abilities, can create invisible objects, disintegrate objects, create swarms of things he can direct, as well as jack-in to technology using the gauntlet.

Background

Bryan Matthews grew up a privileged life, as the son of a banker and fashion designer based out of Miami. Growing up, he tended to be on the more introverted side, convincing his father to help him build his own little basement lab where he could tinker with stuff. This later translated to Bryan graduating with honors from University of Miami dual majored in Biochemistry and Mechanical Engineering.

This talent led to his recruitment to the Tampa Bay based CREST research facility by the lab's head, Dr. William Parks. Dr. Parks was interested in the transformative nature of the Omnisphere that had been unearthed in the Gulf Coast. He believed that if mankind could tap into the energy of the sphere in a controlled manner, that it would be the end to nation-states warring over resources. While the Omnisphere itself had been taken way, Dr. Parks was able to get some data beforehand, particularly on the energy signatures that Omnisphere gave off. He hoped that by recreating the energy signatures in the lab, he could recreate the transformative effect the Omnisphere created. Bryan was recruited as a technician on this project, a key assistant to Dr. Parks.

Sadly, the utopian dream of Dr. Parks did not come to pass, as during the calibration set-up for the first test of the "Omni-transformation array device (O.T.A.D.), and an explosion happened in the lab that ruptured the device's containment, subjecting everyone present, and the building itself to the transformative effects. Bryan was one of the lucky ones, dug out of the rubble by rescue crews. Many of those staff members that weren't dead, had underwent hideous transformations.

It was days later that Bryan noticed the changes in himself. Able to create a phenomenon similar to the OTAD, Bryan could shape and alter matter that he touched. Capitalizing on his understanding of the OTAD, Bryan utilized his abilities to create mobile arm-based devices that could assist and expand his capabilities. It wasn't long before he was testing his powers in the field, trying to help in a disaster relief effort. Unfortunately, due to some leaked footage from the scene, his identity was outed. Instead of going into seclusion, Bryan has since embraced his identity as the hero Shaper, seeking to help those in need.

In Play Edits:
Benefit (Wealthy) +1
Last edited by DeusPravus on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Waverunner - PL 9

Strength 0, Stamina 9, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 7, Presence 0

Advantages
Agile Feint, Attractive 2, Benefit, Status: Coast Guard, Connected, Contacts, Evasion 2, Favored Environment: Aquatic, Great Endurance, Hide in Plain Sight, Languages 1, Move-by Action, Precise Attack (Close, Concealment), Precise Attack (Close, Cover), Redirect, Tough guy 2

Skills
Acrobatics 10 (+10), Close Combat: Water weapons: Damage 9 9 (+9), Deception 5 (+5), Expertise: Coast Guard 8 (+8), Investigation 10 (+10), Persuasion 10 (+10), Stealth 10 (+19/+10), Treatment 6 (+6)

Powers
Beachcomber: Feature 2 (Variable Descriptor: close group - seaside skills)
Elongation: Elongation 1 (Elongation: 15 feet, +1 to grab)
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 4.5 (Traits: Stealth +9 (+19); Limited: wet conditions)
Immunity: Immunity 3 (Environmental Condition: cold, Environmental Condition: pressure, Suffocation: drowning; Limited - Half Effect)
Movement: Movement 2 (Environmental Adaptation: Aquatic, Permeate 1: speed rank -2)
Regeneration: Regeneration 6 (Every 1.66 rounds; Limited: in water)
Seaspeech: Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand; Broad Type: sea creatures)
Senses: Senses 4 (Accurate: Hearing, Darkvision)
Water jets
Flow: Swimming 6 (Speed: 30 miles/hour, 500 feet/round)
Water ramp: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Limited: within distance rank 1, Platform)
Waterbending
Hydrokinesis: Move Object 5 (1600 lbs.; Increased Range: perception; Limited Material: water)
Water weapons: Damage 9 (DC 24; Variable Descriptor: close group - weapon forms)

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 11)
Hydrokinesis: Move Object 5 (DC 15)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)
Water weapons: Damage 9, +9 (DC 24)

Complications
Enemy: Smugglers and other water based threats. Recurring villain: Tiburon, a genetically modified Columbian smuggler
Fame: Stalkeratzzi due to senstalionistic costumes
Motivation: Doing Good
Motivation: Thrills
Quirk: Spends all available time in the water and sun, Can be distracted and loose track of time.
Relationship: Ship mates, dead beat brother (Dan), love interest of the moment
Responsibility: Active member of the Coast Guard

Languages
English, Spanish

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 9, Toughness 9, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities 32 + Powers 40 + Advantages 18 + Skills 34 (68 ranks) + Defenses 20 = 144

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2015 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

Some people talk about being born in the wrong place, or the wrong time. Elizabeth Harrison was born in the wrong element. Well, that’s not quite true. Her actual birth was in one of those New Age trendy bathing pool things but then she was pulled out into the air and land. She’s been trying to get back to the water ever since. Thankfully, she grew up out on the Keys so it wasn’t that hard. That and her family ran a boating service, getting hired to take clueless tourists out to dive or for some deep sea fishing. Liz took to everything related to the sea, whether it was in and over the water, fishing, swimming, boating, surfing, the list went on and on. It was a good life for her. Her brother, Dan, made it a little harder- constantly trying to find the easy ways and getting caught and expecting his big sister to bail him out.

Before too long, Liz was helping out with the family business and was becoming one of the go to people around the area when it came to dealing with the sea. School never came very easily to her, she just didn’t see the point and really there wasn’t much that it could offer for her career choices. It was so much better being out There, the thrill of the next big wave, the next cute boy (or girl, she wasn’t too picky) to flirt with. It was also around this time that became acquainted with a dolphin family, forming a special attachment with one of the young males, ‘Jimmy’.

One night, Liz was on her light sailboat, gazing into the stars, with Jimmy at her side, enjoying the beauty of the waters together. Out of the corner of her eye, Liz caught something shimmering deep in the water. Going to investigate, they came across an oddly glowing orb..and then darkness. When Liz awoke, Jimmy was worriedly nudging her and begging her to wake up. Wait.. what? While they had always communicated in a language deeper than words, now they could talk together, like with real words. Liz was elated, this was finally the opportunity that she had yearned for her entire life, to be part of the Oceans- swim faster, hold her breath longer, speaking with the creatures of the sea. A new life and one that she had always dreamed of.

Over the next few months, Liz explored this new opportunity with a hedonistic delight, not seeing a need for a greater purpose other than living life to its fullest. Her relationship with ‘Jimmy’- no ‘Laughs at Sharks’ deepened. Her family rarely saw her on land, instead meeting on the family business boat. While they had concerns, they also saw the happiness and were willing to accept it. Liz found that she could do more with her new abilities as she rescued a burning immigrant boat going down. She saved those people. Things grew more awkward when the coast guard arrived, otherwise too late. They couldn’t stop her from leaving. The contacts, and conflicts, became more frequent as she came to the rescue more often. Things came to a head when Captain Penelope Cruz asked Liz a simple question- ‘you want a job? You’re already doing it. Let’s make it official.’

Liz, codenamed Waverunner, has become quite the hero despite herself, taking on operations in countersmuggling and rescue. Very recently, she’s been invited to join a new regional team. That might be fun- if it doesn’t take her away from the Oceans too much.
Last edited by Spectrum on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
ZenGypsy

Post by ZenGypsy »

Quick question, how open to world building are we? Especially in regards to a fictitious middle eastern country ruled by some iron-fisted superhuman dictator?

I'd like to work such a character, or nemesis, into Seth's background.
MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

My idea for a character, who is built and saved on my phone, is a fellow who runs around fighting crime in a Power Rangers-esque outfit, with a Power Belt that, when activated, splits him into four alternate dimension versions of himself in differently-colored yet otherwise identical outfits. (Red (Earth K - Essentially just him), Blue (Earth D), Black (Earth W), and Pink (Earth F))

They are each barely a preternatural combatant at best (PL6), but together they are pretty mighty, using coordinated team attacks. They would be more famous as local small-crime fighters, who beat up muggers and stop bank robberies on occasion, and also because they go on Super-Sentai style pose-filled heroic sermons, which people sometimes record and post on the internet for laughs.

Does this sound like a fitting concept? Should I not be trying so hard?
Last edited by MetaShaman on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow13

Post by Shadow13 »

2 Builds and concepts

Urban Ninja
Spider man crossed with the Flash

Energy paragon
Kinetic energy
Teenager legacy created by the government or inspired by a fallen hero.

The background adjustments are easy.

The youngest has been cranky the past few days so it was hard to type when he helps.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

ZenGypsy wrote:Quick question, how open to world building are we? Especially in regards to a fictitious middle eastern country ruled by some iron-fisted superhuman dictator? I'd like to work such a character, or nemesis, into Seth's background.
We are pretty open to world-building, but I'd like Ken to weigh in on this. My initial thought is that this might be a good way to bring Scud out of retirement and back into the public eye.

Give us a day or two to mull this over and we'll get back to you.
MetaShaman wrote:My idea for a character, who is built and saved on my phone, is a fellow who runs around fighting crime in a Power Rangers-esque outfit, with a Power Belt that, when activated, splits him into four alternate dimension versions of himself in differently-colored yet otherwise identical outfits. (Red (Earth K - Essentially just him), Blue (Earth D), Black (Earth W), and Pink (Earth F)).
They are each barely a preternatural combatant at best (PL6), but together they are pretty mighty, using coordinated team attacks. They would be more famous as local small-crime fighters, who beat up muggers and stop bank robberies on occasion, and also because they go on Super-Sentai style pose-filled heroic sermons, which people sometimes record and post on the internet for laughs.
Does this sound like a fitting concept?
My own opinion would be to pick some different alt. earths. Earth-D is primarily an under-powered funny world and Earth-W is the exact opposite; full of people who have been forced to be in the shadows and rather un-heroic due to the government's stance on paras. I would, instead, suggest you use Earth-U, T or M instead, as they will fit your need better. Definitely run with Earth-F, though, as it would be great to get it into continuity officially.
Shadow13 wrote:2 Builds and concepts
Urban Ninja
Spider man crossed with the Flash

Energy paragon
Kinetic energy
Teenager legacy created by the government or inspired by a fallen hero.

The background adjustments are easy.

The youngest has been cranky the past few days so it was hard to type when he helps.
I can understand how a cranky child can slow down the process, so no worries. My personal vote would probably go to Urban Ninja, given what's been presented so far, but I also want to get Ken's two cents worth before you officially submit one or the other.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Spectrum wrote:Waverunner - PL 9
I like what you've got here so far. What did you have in mind for an origin?
Jim C.

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Thanks. Of course, as I was going to bed last night, kept playing with mechanics tweaks to make it closer to the intended purpose.

Is mutant/unknown heritage or exposure to comic radiation better for the setting?

Would it be okay to have a benefit/feature that gave a (major?) circumstantial bonus to skill rolls related to being around the sea? I'm really tempted to do a Jab Homer Simpson list- Expertise: dive instructor, Expertise: fishing, Expertise: boating, Expertise: marine biology, Expertise: surfing, etc etc etc. If so, how expensive? I was thinking feature 2 and then a level of variable.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spectrum wrote:A fun character concept is starting to percolate. I'm trying to avoid the This looks like a job for Aquaman problem so getting around that.
If you can that's great. But just as a heads up: a) Florida is a peninsula, surrounded by ocean on three sides b) I love Aquaman c) I'm overly analytical with a healthy respect and fear of the ocean.

Which is to say, some may call it a trope. I call it 70% of the Earth's surface being rather hostile to normal people.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Middle Eastern Stuff:
World building is always good. And this would give us a good chance to revisit/clean-up some old ideas, some of which were too "real world" at the time to fit nicely with the sliding time scale.

Waverunner:
I want to know more about Tiburon. I assume you meant "Colombian" (i.e. from the northern South American country Colombia), rather than being from the U.S. capitol district.

Just out of curiosity, what is Waverunner's gender?

Multiple Earths:
We have different Earths for different purposes. Earth-N and Earth-T are essentially worlds where the GMs want to draw on the vast history of Earth-K without being beholden to it. As such, they are explictly meant to NOT interact with Earth-K. Earth-D was expressly meant to be humourous, under-powered, and not beholden to ANY continuity, even its own. And it interacting with Earth-K is... not good.

These parallel earths are good for crossovers; however, Jim's points about Earth-W are quite correct, and Earth-G is a dead world. But Earth-M is good; Earth-V is good; Earth-U is probably okay; and Earth-F, though not on this list, is probably fine as well.

Urban Vigilane vs Kinetic Energy Paragon:
I can deal with either, honestly.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spectrum wrote:Is mutant/unknown heritage or exposure to comic radiation better for the setting?
We don't have "mutants" in the Marvel sense of "homo superior is next stage of evolution". We do have mutants, but generally they are of the "my parents or grandparents were exposed to radiation or chemicals" variety. Some of them are horrific, some of them aren't.

Unknown heritage is always good. We have scions of angels and dragons and pseudogods running about.

0th Generation mutates are also a good candidate. This presumably includes your exposure to cosmic radiation, but also includes unscrupoulous genetic manipulation by various parties (often against one's will)
Spectrum wrote:Would it be okay to have a benefit/feature that gave a (major?) circumstantial bonus to skill rolls related to being around the sea? I'm really tempted to do a Jab Homer Simpson list- Expertise: dive instructor, Expertise: fishing, Expertise: boating, Expertise: marine biology, Expertise: surfing, etc etc etc. If so, how expensive? I was thinking feature 2 and then a level of variable.
If I'm following this correctly, you're thinking the rank of Variable would essentially be this collection of life near the water skills, yes? Or something else? I want to make sure I understand before I opine.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Could those of you who are using HeroLab e-mail the .POR files of your submissions to kenhallaron310668 at gmail.com? I also use Hero Lab, and it'll make sure I don't miss anything. Thanks.
Last edited by Ken on Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Ken- thanks for getting back to me. Waverunner comes from a character sketch I did for the Blue Planet rpg a while back. I think most of our questions will be answered once I post her background.
Jemal

Post by Jemal »

I'm intrigued by this Omnisphere is there more to it beyond mutating animals?
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Jemal wrote:I'm intrigued by this Omnisphere is there more to it beyond mutating animals?
It HAD all sorts of warping capabilities. It mutated, but also had the possibilities to distort space and time. Once it was completely uncovered at the ocean floor, there was great fear that it could cause the destruction of the planet. That's why, once the heroes discovered it, it was removed from the planet and sent into outer space (Ken, feel free to correct me if my memory is off). As we said, though, it did plenty of "damage" before being discovered.

There used to be a fragment that had broken off on planetfall that ended up buried beneath San Francisco and caused all sorts of chaos there too (allowing for inter-dimensional travel and genetic manipulation), but it has recently disappeared as well.
Jim C.