OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sorry, can't help too much there. I only have my physical copy of the PHB (and Xanathar's Guide to Everything)
Arkrite

Re: Interest/Recruitment D&D 5E - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Closing Jan 19

Post by Arkrite »

I believe this site has the backgrounds listed.

https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/Backgrounds
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:17 pm I believe this site has the backgrounds listed.

https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/Backgrounds
you'll just want to make sure the Source listed is PHB, since that list has them from multiple sources.

https://dnd5e.fandom.com/wiki/Feats It also has feats! (Though some are not from PHB and are not labeled as well as the backgrounds, so might wanna ask to be sure on any)

For my own side, I am building a half orc barbarian with mighty thews! :D
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

And I'm stuck choosing between a few things for my rogue: What type of elf to have them be (Do I buff wis,Int, or Cha?), and what background to give them.

I had a few different concepts in mind up I've narrowed it down to two of them which are essentially inversions of each other. Either give them the guild artisan background and have them work as an honest locksmith OR the Charlatan background... where their false identity/con is being an honest locksmith.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jae'dherga "Jade"
Basics wrote:Race: Half-Orc
Class: Barbarian
Background: Outlander
History wrote: A time before Jade was born, a human woman dressed in rags and in poor condition turned up in a small frontier settlement and collapsed. The settlement folk did the best they could for the woman and discovered she was pregnant. The child was brought to term, but the mother died in the process, leaving a green-skinned halfbreed alone in the world.

The settlers' first thought was to be rid of the ill-omened child, save for one woman, barren but longing for a child of her own who pleased to be allowed to take the child in. Eventually, the other settlers relented and allowed it, though made it clear they would be watching for any further bad omens as signs that they should be rid of the child and named the child after the orcish word for poor fortune, though the kindly woman that took in this halfbreed orphan called only ever called her Jade.

Jade had it rough growing up. She looked clearly different from all those around her, and children her own age ostracized her nearly worse than the adults simply for the color of her skin. The children would throw rocks and dirt, and the adults would never punish those children, but any sign of temper from Jade was very quickly acted upon with unfair strictness.

The only person Jade could turn to was her foster mother, and even she felt the weight of ridicule from the other settlers and it soon became too much for her as her health began to wane.

Taking this decline in health as the final omen, the settlers gathered to see Jade exiled from the settlement, at this time barely out of adolescence. Her foster mother was in no fit state to protect her this time, and faced with settlers carrying torches, Jade decided to protect her foster mother by leaving peacefully.

Fortunately, being raised in a frontier settlement, Jade had learned a fair amount of how to survive off the untamed lands and found it easier than she would have initially thought to survive alone in the wilderness. And in her solitude, she learned how she could tap into the bottled rage she had built up over the years of injustice and ridicule she suffered at the hands of the settlers and their whelps.

She made money by foraging, hunting and selling pelts to travelers, even making the odd venture into a town when in need of supplies or repairs to a weapon and finding the occasional work as a guide or hired muscle. And while she finds these towns to be at least a little less openly hostile and more willing to use her for her talents, she still finds herself wary of the more "civilized" types, finding adventurers being more accepting and treating her equally while among them and valuing her skills more than those paying for them.
Personality wrote: Jade can be rather terse with the more civilized types, largely coming from a frontier settlement that tends to view those who live in the comfort of towns and cities unfavorably as weak and less capable, but also due to her halfbreed nature, people have a tendency to pass poor judgement on her before even speaking to her. This has led to Jade having a tough exterior.

With adventurers though, who have a greater tendency to put more stock in one's abilities over their appearance, Jade is more at ease and can be fiercely dependable for allies, even if they are so only for the duration of a job before parting ways.
Combat wrote: Hit Points: 15
Initiative: +2
AC: 15 = 10 + 2(Dex) + 3(Con) [Unarmored Defense]

Greataxe: +6 / 1d12+4 Slashing / Heavy, Two-Handed
Handaxe: +6 / 1d6+6 Slashing / Light, Thrown (Range 20/60)
Javelin: +6 / 1d6+6 Piercing / Thrown (Range 30/120)
Staff: +6 / 1d6+4 Bludgeoning / Versatile (1d8)
Attributes: wrote: Strength: 18 (+4)
Dexterity: 15 (+2)
Constitution: 16 (+3)
Intelligence: 10 (+0)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 11 (+0)
Proficiencies: wrote:
  • Armor Light, Medium, Shields
  • Weapons: Simple, Martial
  • Tools: None
  • Saving Throws: Strength (+6), Constitution (+5)
  • Skills:
    • Athletics +6
    • Animal Handling +2
    • Intimidation +2/+6
    • Perception +3
    • Survival +3
Racial Traits wrote: Darkvision (60 feet)
Menacing Gain proficiency in Intimidation.
Relentless Endurance When reduced to 0 hit points but not killed outright, drop to 1 hit point instead. Use once per long rest.
Savage Attacks When scoring a critical hit, roll one of the weapon's damage dice an additional time and add it to the damage.
Languages Common, Orc
Class Features wrote: Hit Die d12
Rage Enter rage as a bonus action for 1 minute. Ends if knocked unconscious or if turn ends without attacking a hostile creature or without having taken damage since the previous turn. May also end with bonus action. Can rage twice before long rest.
  • Advantage on Strength checks and Strength Saving throws
  • Add bonus +2 damage to damage rolls
  • Resistance to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage
  • Unable to cast or concentrate on spells
Unarmored Defense When not wearing armor, AC is 10 + Dex Mod + Con Mod. May use a shield.
Background Details wrote:
  • Skill Proficiencies Athletics, Survival
  • Toll Proficiencies One choice musical instrument
  • Languages One of choice
Feature: Wanderer You have an excellent memory for maps and geography, and you can always recall the general layout of terrain, settlements, and other features around you. In addition, you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Personality Trait: I have been repressed for too long. No more.
Ideal: People: I’m loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)
Bond: No one else should have to endure the hardships I've been through.
Flaw: Violence is my answer to almost any challenge.
Feats wrote: None
Equipment wrote: Gold 10g
Carring Capacity: 270lbs
Total Weight: 118lbs

Weapons
  • Greataxe [7lbs]
  • Handaxe x2 [2lbs ea]
  • Javelin x4 [2lbs ea]
  • Staff [2lbs]
Armor
  • Traveler's Clothes [4lbs]
Gear
  • Explorer's Kit
    • Backpack [5lbs]
    • Bedroll [7lbs]
    • Mess Kit [1lbs]
    • Tinderbox [1lbs]
    • Torches x10 [1lb ea]
    • Rations x10 (Days) [1lbs ea]
    • Waterskin [5lbs (Full)]
    • Trinket: A piece of crystal that glows faintly in the moonlight)
    • 50' Hempen Rope (Attached to the side of the backpack) [10lbs]
    • Hunter's Trap (Attached to the side of the backpack) [25lbs]
Class Starting Gear
Greataxe, 2 Handaxes, An explorer's pack, 4 Javelins
Background Starting Gear
Staff, Hunting Trap, a trophy from an animal you killed, set of traveler's clothes, and a pouch containing 10g
Trinket
A piece of crystal that glows faintly in the moonlight
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 am, edited 6 times in total.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

EpicEclipse, I think you meant Outlander not Outrider.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:28 pm EpicEclipse, I think you meant Outlander not Outrider.
probably. was just throwing that up while waiting for my muscle relaxant to kick in, so a bit groggy :lol:
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Is there enough niche protection between a (half)orc mounted raider and a dwarven bar brawler? Both being barbarians?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

We should just all be barbarians. Nothing can go wrong with that, right?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Name: Aldan Edgetrimmer

Race: Elf (High Elf)
Class: Rogue
Background: Charlatan
Feature: False Identity and forgery
Alignment: NN
Sex: Male
Height: 4ft10in
Weight: 110
Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic

LVL 3, Arcane Trickster

Str: 10
Con: 12
Dex: 16+2 = 18
Int: 11+1 = 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 14

Proficiency: +2

Attacks:
Rapier: +6 to hit, 1d8+4 (P), +2d6 sneak attack if applies
Shortbow: +6 to hit, 1d6 (P) 80/320
Dagger: +6 to hit, 1d4+4 (P) 20/60

AC:17 (Armor 12+4dex+1ring of protection)
init: +4
HP:21
hit points: 1d8 4
HP lvl 3: 1D8 = [6] = 6

Saves:
Str+0,Con+1,Dex+6,Int+3,Wis+2,Cha+2

lvl Cantrips spells known spell slots
3rd Mage Hand + 2 3 2
(+1 from elf)

Cantrips:
Mage Hand, Special,
Starting at 3rd level, when you cast Mage Hand, you can make the spectral hand invisible, and you can perform the following additional tasks with it:

You can stow one object the hand is holding in a container worn or carried by another creature.
You can retrieve an object in a container worn or carried by another creature.
You can use thieves' tools to pick locks and disarm traps at range.
You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature's Wisdom (Perception) check.

In addition, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand.
Booming Blade.
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Components: S, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: 1 round

You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, the target takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.
Create Bonfire
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You create a bonfire on ground that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, the bonfire fills a 5-foot cube. Any creature in the bonfire’s space when you cast the spell must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 fire damage. A creature must also make the saving throw when it enters the bonfire’s space for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.
Minor Illusion

Range: 30 feet
Components: S, M (a bit of fleece)
Duration: 1 minute

You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.

If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else’s voice, a lion’s roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.

If you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can’t create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.

If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.

1st: Memorized: Silvery Barbs, Sleep
Silvery Barbs
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when a creature you can see within 60 feet of yourself succeeds on an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous

You magically distract the triggering creature and turn its momentary uncertainty into encouragement for another creature. The triggering creature must reroll the d20 and use the lower roll.

You can then choose a different creature you can see within range (you can choose yourself). The chosen creature has advantage on the next attack roll, ability check, or saving throw it makes within 1 minute. A creature can be empowered by only one use of this spell at a time.
Sleep
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of fine sand, rose petals, or a cricket)
Duration: 1 minute

This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8, the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).
Find Familiar
You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose: bat, cat, crab, frog (toad), hawk, lizard, octopus, owl, poisonous snake, fish (quipper), rat, raven, sea horse, spider, or weasel. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the familiar has the statistics of the chosen form, though it is a celestial, fey, or fiend (your choice) instead of a beast.

While your familiar is within 100 feet of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an action, you can see through your familiar’s eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the familiar has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.
Owl Stats
Owl (Acorn)
Fey spirit, familiar
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 1 (1d4-1)
Speed 5 ft., fly 60 ft.
STR 3 (-4) DEX 13 (+1) CON 8 (-1) INT 2 (-4) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 7 (-2)
Skills Perception +3, Stealth +3
Senses Darkvision 120 Ft., passive Perception 13
Flyby. The owl doesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
Keen Hearing and Sight. The owl has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.

Cunning Action: You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Steady Aim (Optional)
At 3rd level, as a bonus action, you give yourself advantage on your next attack roll on the current turn. You can use this bonus action only if you haven't moved during this turn, and after you use the bonus action, your speed is 0 until the end of the current turn.

Sneak Attack: 2d6, Once per turn, you can deal an extra 2d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Thieves’ Cant
Class wrote:Background: Charlatan
 Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Sleight of Hand
 Tool Proficiencies: Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit
 A set of fine clothes, a disguise kit, tools of the con of your choice (a signet ring of an imaginary duke), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp
(15GP spent on Forgery Kit)

Scam:
I insinuate myself into people’s lives to prey on their weakness and secure their fortunes.
Personality Trait:
I pocket anything I see that might have some value.
Ideals:
Aspiration. I’m determined to make something of myself. (Any)
Bond:
I swindled and ruined a person who didn’t deserve it. [Buddy]
I seek to atone for my misdeeds but might never be able to forgive myself.
Flaw:
I’m convinced that no one could ever fool me the way I fool others.
Rogue
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Thieves’ tools
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Investigation, Acrobatics, Stealth, Insight
Equipment wrote:Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) a rapier• (a) a shortbow and quiver of 20 arrows• (a) a burglar’s pack • Leather armor, two daggers, and thieves’ tools
_: 4D4 = [4, 3, 4, 4] = 15

150GP
Studded leather -45
rapier -25
dagger -2
shortbow and 20 arrows -26
theives tools -25
burglars pack -16
steel mirror -5
caltrops x3 -3
add 3 vials oil, blanket, Mess kit, -1
add pouches x2 -1
add Ball Bearings -1

0GP left
Racial wrote:Racial:
Size: Medium.
Speed: 30 feet.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Senses: You have proficiency in Perception.
Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saves against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Trance: Elves meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day in place of sleeping. You gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
Elf Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
Cantrip: You know one Cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Cantrip: Mage Hand
Description
You use your action to create a spectral, floating hand at a point you choose. Once made, you can use your action to control the hand. It can move up to 30 feet at a time, but can't be more than 30 feet away from you or it will vanish. The hand is able to manipulate objects, open an unlocked door or container, put away or get an item out of an open container, or pour out a vial's contents. It can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.You use an action to dismiss the hand before the end of the duration.

Extra Language: You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choice.
Skills wrote:Expertise: Investigation, Deception
  • [P]Acrobatics +6
  • [P]Sleight of Hand +6
  • [P]Stealth +6
  • Arcana +1
  • History +1
  • [P][E]Investigation +5
  • Nature +2
  • Religion +2
  • Animal Handling +2
  • [P]Insight +4
  • Medicine +2
  • [P]Perception +4
  • Survival +2
  • [P][E]Deception +6
  • Intimidation +2
  • Performance +2
  • Persuasion +2

P is Proficient, E is Expertise
Life is tough for a young elf just out of his maturing teenage years. Yes, elves are ageless but that just means the oldsters forget what it's like to make mistakes without centuries of experiences. Couple with the low birth rate among the Ageless and Aldan was a lonely child without any peers that understood the pressures he was under. Of course he ran away. Wouldn't you?
[Of course his druid mother spoiled it by sending an animal messenger saying she understood the Aldan was 'finding himself' and would be welcomed back when he chose to return. How frustrating!]
The ever-young appearance of elves meant Aldan could act older and be mistaken for, and afforded the respect of someone much older. He just had to act superior and mutter the words 'impetuous or 'fleeting' whenever he was dealing with non-elves.
His meager money quickly ran out and he turned to scamming and theft to fill his pockets.
He befriended a simple-but-good-at-heart youth, Buddy Swellinger, a stocky human loader for a prominent import/export establishment, The Golden Road Trading Company, to let him into the warehouse on the pretense that one of the investors, Duke Orlias needed him to take stock. The lock-box proved trickier than Aldan thought and Buddy, in effort to be helpful, called the branch manager, a human male - Harris Smisson.
Smisson was fuming mad, threatening both Aldan and Buddy with the guard and the loss of their hands. For all of Buddy's screw up, the dolt didn't deserve that. Aldan felt bad for dragging him into this.
As Aldan had previously seen documentation that the manager was tasked with figuring out why shipments weren't being received from a certain area, the Elven Huckster proposed a compromise - He would act as the Golden Road Trading Company's investigative agent in this matter and the manager could hold Buddy, unharmed, as collateral. The manager saw no harm or risk in gambling the life of this lowly thief so agreed.
Aldan dusted off his traveling persona, Aldan Tallymin, a middle aged Diviner and official Counter for Duke Orlias, and set out. He'd go to this podunk town, Orlane and pose as a census-taker, stressing how an accurate census could increase trade and flow of people into this region. People tended to assume High elves were all wizards anyway and posing as a Diviner was a great mix of non-flashy magic (which he couldn't do anyway) and an I-know-more-than-you attitude (which all elves excelled at). His 'Fine clothes' are upscale wizard's robes that cover his leather armor. He does bear a rapier openly but more as a gentleman would wear expected accouterments. He does have a wand sheath bearing the rough 'handle' of a conveniently-shaped stick he found on the ground.

Older Sneak Attack: 1d6, Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Thieves’ Cant

Cunning Action: You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

Class wrote:Background: Charlatan
 Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Sleight of Hand
 Tool Proficiencies: Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit
 A set of fine clothes, a disguise kit, tools of the con of your choice (a signet ring of an imaginary duke), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp
(15GP spent on Forgery Kit)

Scam:
I insinuate myself into people’s lives to prey on their weakness and secure their fortunes.
Personality Trait:
I pocket anything I see that might have some value.
Ideals:
Aspiration. I’m determined to make something of myself. (Any)
Bond:
I swindled and ruined a person who didn’t deserve it. [Buddy]
I seek to atone for my misdeeds but might never be able to forgive myself.
Flaw:
I’m convinced that no one could ever fool me the way I fool others.

Rogue
Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: Thieves’ tools
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Investigation, Acrobatics, Stealth, Insight

Equipment wrote:Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) a rapier• (a) a shortbow and quiver of 20 arrows• (a) a burglar’s pack • Leather armor, two daggers, and thieves’ tools
_: 4D4 = [4, 3, 4, 4] = 15

150GP
Studded leather -45
rapier -25
dagger -2
shortbow and 20 arrows -26
theives tools -25
burglars pack -16
steel mirror -5
caltrops x3 -3
add 3 vials oil, blanket, Mess kit, -1
add pouches x2 -1
add Ball Bearings -1

0GP left

Racial wrote:Racial:
Size: Medium.
Speed: 30 feet.
Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Senses: You have proficiency in Perception.
Fey Ancestry: You have advantage on saves against being charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep.
Trance: Elves meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day in place of sleeping. You gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
Elf Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.
Cantrip: You know one Cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Cantrip: Mage Hand
Description
You use your action to create a spectral, floating hand at a point you choose. Once made, you can use your action to control the hand. It can move up to 30 feet at a time, but can't be more than 30 feet away from you or it will vanish. The hand is able to manipulate objects, open an unlocked door or container, put away or get an item out of an open container, or pour out a vial's contents. It can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10 pounds.You use an action to dismiss the hand before the end of the duration.

Extra Language: You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choice.

Skills wrote:Expertise: Investigation, Deception
[P]Acrobatics +6
[P]Sleight of Hand +6
[P]Stealth +6
Arcana +1
History +1
[P][E]Investigation +5
Nature +2
Religion +2
Animal Handling +2
[P]Insight +4
Medicine +2
[P]Perception +4
Survival +2
[P][E]Deception +6
Intimidation +2
Performance +2
Persuasion +2

P is Proficient, E is Expertise

Life is tough for a young elf just out of his maturing teenage years. Yes, elves are ageless but that just means the oldsters forget what it's like to make mistakes without centuries of experiences. Couple with the low birth rate among the Ageless and Aldan was a lonely child without any peers that understood the pressures he was under. Of course he ran away. Wouldn't you?
[Of course his druid mother spoiled it by sending an animal messenger saying she understood the Aldan was 'finding himself' and would be welcomed back when he chose to return. How frustrating!]
The ever-young appearance of elves meant Aldan could act older and be mistaken for, and afforded the respect of someone much older. He just had to act superior and mutter the words 'impetuous or 'fleeting' whenever he was dealing with non-elves.
His meager money quickly ran out and he turned to scamming and theft to fill his pockets.
He befriended a simple-but-good-at-heart youth, Buddy Swellinger, a stocky human loader for a prominent import/export establishment, The Golden Road Trading Company, to let him into the warehouse on the pretense that one of the investors, Duke Orlias needed him to take stock. The lock-box proved trickier than Aldan thought and Buddy, in effort to be helpful, called the branch manager, a human male - Harris Smisson.
Smisson was fuming mad, threatening both Aldan and Buddy with the guard and the loss of their hands. For all of Buddy's screw up, the dolt didn't deserve that. Aldan felt bad for dragging him into this.
As Aldan had previously seen documentation that the manager was tasked with figuring out why shipments weren't being received from a certain area, the Elven Huckster proposed a compromise - He would act as the Golden Road Trading Company's investigative agent in this matter and the manager could hold Buddy, unharmed, as collateral. The manager saw no harm or risk in gambling the life of this lowly thief so agreed.
Aldan dusted off his traveling persona, Aldan Tallymin, a middle aged Diviner and official Counter for Duke Orlias, and set out. He'd go to this podunk town, Orlane and pose as a census-taker, stressing how an accurate census could increase trade and flow of people into this region. People tended to assume High elves were all wizards anyway and posing as a Diviner was a great mix of non-flashy magic (which he couldn't do anyway) and an I-know-more-than-you attitude (which all elves excelled at). His 'Fine clothes' are upscale wizard's robes that cover his leather armor. He does bear a rapier openly but more as a gentleman would wear expected accouterments. He does have a wand sheath bearing the rough 'handle' of a conveniently-shaped stick he found on the ground.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 19 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Baeren, dwarven barbarian

_: 4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 2, 3, 6] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 1, 2, 6] = 13
4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 1, 5, 4] = 11
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 6, 6, 3] = 15
4D6.HIGH(3) = [1, 4, 4, 1] = 9
4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 5, 6, 6] = 17

Interesting... the max is an 18, right? I might have to adjust the concept with the scores higher than expected.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Adjusted my stats by switching the two I had racial bonuses too. I realized I could make them even by doing that, with no real detrimental change to dex but it made his wisdom modifier better.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:31 am Interesting... the max is an 18, right? I might have to adjust the concept with the scores higher than expected.
I believe the stat cap is 20.
Barbarians have a feat or ability somewhere along the lines that might allow them to go a bit higher.
Spectrum wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:57 pm Does anyone have a D&D Beyond GM account?
Not personally.
Why do you ask?
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:08 pm Name: Aldan Edgetrimmer
Looks good at first glance. Going to set aside some time to go over the characters in detail later.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Does Scarf seem fine to you? I hadn't seen you comment about him just yet.
------------