OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shock

Re: OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

Post by Shock »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:05 am Just want to reiterate I'm not trying to dominate or control the game. No matter what Aldan says. :)

I hope no one feels left out or put upon.
Not an issue for me. You're playing the talkative character
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Shock wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 pm
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:05 am Just want to reiterate I'm not trying to dominate or control the game. No matter what Aldan says. :)

I hope no one feels left out or put upon.
Not an issue for me. You're playing the talkative character
Total agreement with Shock, you're good Flynn.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Can I have another sense motive from Aldan?

Also I think we may have lost Plan B, I haven't seen him online for about a month now.
For the time being I'll just run his character until I decide how to move forward with this.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

insight: 1d20+4 21
"Something pithy this way comes."
Plan b

Post by Plan b »

I'm still here. I'm just letting the faces do their thing.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So everybody's good with the plan and ready to move forward?

Sorry, more house hunting stress, making things hard to focus.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Yep, good with the plan.

And no worries, house hunting is a horribly stressful time.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Over a week is a very generous length of time to wait for additional responses. It seems everyone is good with the plan.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Sorry, putting together a post.
In other news we might have a house in the near future.
Not sure if that's good or bad ;~)
Shock

Post by Shock »

FYI I'll be gone all weekend starting tomorrow morning
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

*sigh*.
Please see previous posts for the same old excuses. Sorry guys.

The good news, we sign the paperwork for the house two weeks from now.
We're scrambling to get all of the prereqs in place... and trying to clear all the excess stuff out of our house before we move.

On the bright side I'm starting to get used to walking 3 to 6 miles every day as a part of my job ;~)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I imagine that's doing great things for your health!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

So since we've agreed to purchase the house I've been running around like mad trying to get everything together before we have to move.

Important things like getting power and gas running before we move in.

So I started with natural gas.
Called Direct Energy.
Got screwed around in their answering service, finally got a human who repeatedly tells me that they can't find our house.
Because apparently living in a rural area means that street addresses are worthless.
Finally they admit they can't find my account even though I've been with them for years. "Oh, I'm sorry sir. You must have called the wrong company. You need to call Direct Energy Regulated Services."

Call "Direct Energy Regulated Services".
Unsurprisingly the answering service is the exact same, word for word, with the same computer voice.
Computer needs my account number before I can talk to a human. Confirm number, computer reads off account balance.
Sends me to human who needs me to provide account number. Again. -_-
Give him the new address and am told that, sorry, addresses just aren't going to work. We need the site number.
Which we don't have.
How do we get that?
Call Atco Gas. -_-

Called Atco. They need the freaking meter number. How do you get the meter number? You go and look at it.
This is an issue since the house is fourty five minutes away from where I work and I can't just skip work to go out there. So I hang up.

Then I remember that I took a ton of pictures when were are the house last. Against all odds I actually have a picture of the meter! :o
Called Atco back.
"Sorry sir, that's not our meter. That is an Altagas site, you need to call them" :roll:

Call Altagas. Get a real person within ten seconds and get the site ID. :D

Call my gas company back. Again.
Aaaaaand Direct Energy Regulated Services does not support that location.
Fuck my life. :(

Finally I give up and e-mail my realtor and tell them to ask the seller who they use to get gas.
Apparently it was Altagas.

Call them back, again, real human within seconds, and have everything good to go in about fifteen minutes.

Okay... so now we just need power.
So I call Epcor.
They ask for the address.
Oh, wait, you're out in the rural areas? Street addresses are no good, son.
We're going to need a site ID.

OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN! :cry:

Yup, it's not even funny, it's the exact same thing all over again. Epcor needs the site ID, the meter number doesn't help them.
They tell me to call Atco.
Call Atco, give them the meter number.
"Sorry sir, that's not our meter, you need to call the company named on it".

Growling at this point I call some company I've never even heard of before, and get a person right away. And I ask for the site ID and explain to them I just need it to get power.
To which they respond, "Well, we're pretty much the only company that services that area, did you want to sign up with us?"

"YES!"

Okay. So power and gas are done.
Internet is a gong show, somehow they managed to ship me the device without actually setting up an account or service. How the hell did they pull that off? :?

Doesn't matter, I've got the gear, I can do the internet later.

So now we're in packing mode, trying to get everything set up.
We have a plan. The 15th we get the keys.
16th, 17th, 18th we move as much of the house as we can without needing assistance. The furniture and final move will be on the 24th.

So we are supposed to be getting ownership of the house Thursday.
Lawyer calls us at 7 pm Wednesday night to inform us there might be an issue with the septic system being set so close to the house.

I swear to god, every time at the last minute... To give you an idea, this is the fourth house we've almost managed to buy before something came crawling out of the woodwork to ruin the deal. And of the last three, septic was the issue for two of them.

So now we are in a holding pattern hoping that the county gave them permits, because if not we have a 30 to 40 grand issue to replace the septic...

The sad part is that this was supposed to be exciting and fun.

Instead I hate my life, I hate houses, and I hate everything involved with it.

It is at these points I regret that I don't drink. -_-

Now the worst part is that this is all because the seller wanted to put up a fence along the boarder of our property. But they took too long putting up the fence, and they didn't want to get a Real Property Report until the fence was finished. And we only got the updated Real Property Report on Wednesday afternoon. You know, the day before we were set to pay them.

We don't even know if anything has to be fixed.
If the county grandfathers it in we are golden and nothing has to change.
If they don't, and the tanks have to be moved to be up to code they will most likely require we change to a septic tank and field.
Which will add to the cost.

So we hear nothing from the lawyer all day Thursday.
I finally email them for an update.
They send back an email saying that somebody may be looking at it soon. But they're not looking into the septic.
I send three more emails trying to figure out what that means and get "lawyer speak" back.
Lawyer speak being: Well written simple plain English which is still somehow hard to understand and explains absolutely nothing.

So I finally send a response back saying that "if the county isn't looking at the septic, but the Fence and Deck instead? Just buy the house!"

I mean, I can rip up a fence and a deck if I have to, no issue.

I get an email at midnight last night from the lawyer who has sent an email to the county asking them about the septic field.

So if it wasn't on their radar before it is now.

God fucking damn it. -_-

I can't tell if she means well but is an idiot, or is just padding her paycheck.

So the lawyer just emailed back on Friday. No problems with the septic! Good news, right?

Well yeah... But there are no records of development or building permits on file for the existing dwelling and uncovered deck.

And they want $1,874.92 for permit applications. Please note that's just for permit applications, that doesn't include the inspections.

And will require a Structural Engineer's report.

So now it probably needs multiple inspections for gas, electrical, so on, so forth, and a structural engineer to inspect it. And the last time I heard about a structural engineer inspecting a foundation they needed to have the entire foundation dug up with a backhoe so they could inspect it.

... so doesn't look like we are moving anytime soon.

Which is fine.
Except we already gave our notice to our landlords.
So now I'm at a loss. I don't know if or when we're moving, I don't know if I'm going to be able to stay in our current rental, I don't know if we're going to have to pack up our house and park it at my parent's farm and live with my wife's family while we try to get it sorted.
I'm currently paying utilities at two homes, and house insurance for a place I'm not even sure is going to be mine now.

Evert time somebody asks if I am excited about buying a house? This is the stuff I remember.
It has been miserable every step of the way, why would it change now? :roll:

But you know what? Screw it.
I'm just going to write all this stuff down. This is the kind of sitcom material that got Faulty Towers made. I've got to be sitting on a gold mine.
And the best part? I already have the name picked out.
"Harsh Realty"

So, yeah, been dealing with a lot of nonsense and a fair bit of depression. It's been really hard to summon up the energy to put up a post for almost anything at the moment.
But I'm trying to push through, and get this game rolling gain.

Admittedly some idiot packed up all my RPG books without setting aside my D&D stuff.
I blame my wife.

Now mind you, I said I'm blaming her, not that it was her fault! ;~)
Shock

Post by Shock »

Who needs books? You're the DM, you make the rules

You have my sympathies. It'll feel a lot better once you actually get moved in.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Sadly this means Aldan doesn't get to benefit from the goblin's -1 to attack due to fear.
On the bright side Aldan doesn't have to maybe get stabbed ;~)

House move is... going.
Trying to rush trough the last of the packing and moving of stuff it's.. I have no idea how it's going. Hopefully tomorrow most of the boxed up stuff will be moved, and it's just furniture and cleanup for Saturday.