OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: OOC: Against the Cult of the Reptile God - D&D 5E - Recruiting Closed

Post by Arkrite »

Okay, there is a (bigger) map here.
You guys are coming in from Hookhill, but it occured to me you might not come in straight from the road. Because players do weird things some times :lol:

Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Are we walking, riding or did Jakkar hook us up with a cart? I think the third option would be most reasonable and the ranger actually has Land Vehicles as a proficiency. And what time of day is it?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I get a laugh every time you call him Jakkar.
At least I don't feel as bad about calling one of Shock's characters Victoria all the time ;~)

Sadly you're on foot.
It's about mid-day.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I guess I should say that the info I've been sharing was fed to me by Arkrite in PMs in the form of letters from Tyragorn's sister. I'm not at all familiar with this adventure personally.

I apologize if I was coming off as a know-it-all.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Shock wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:02 am I guess I should say that the info I've been sharing was fed to me by Arkrite in PMs in the form of letters from Tyragorn's sister. I'm not at all familiar with this adventure personally.

I apologize if I was coming off as a know-it-all.
I didn't get that feeling from the character posts.

Also, what a cool idea Arkrite did using the letters written by the sister. Very nice!
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Tattooedman wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:41 am
Also, what a cool idea Arkrite did using the letters written by the sister. Very nice!
As much as I'd like to applaud Arkite for the idea,I think I've heard other DMs suggest using that method for scenario, it might be written in the actual module. It's still a good idea.

Matthew Colville, a DM who does D&D videos on youtube that I follow, definitely mentioned it at some point, and I know he's done some videos about Against the Cult of the Reptile God/the town of Orlane. He apparently really likes Orlane as a starter town for D&D campaigns.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ignore the man behind the curtain! ;~)

Yup, Stavaros got it in one.
The letter idea was something I swiped from somebody else because
A) It sounded neat
and
B) It would give at least one of the players a personal reason to be interested in solving the quest.

And yes the letters and the idea for doing this campaign came from Matthew Colville. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
The flaw in this game is that it starts very much a sandbox investigation. Which means there is a lot of stuff I need to be aware of and track even if you guys never touch on it.

And this campaign has two things I don't really like in it.
The first I will reveal: Investigation. I don't like this as much because it can be a little frustrating trying to investigate because it can seem unfair (In spite of player's background advantages, charisma, good roleplaying and good rolls some NPCs honestly just don't know anything), and it's hard to tell when you actually have learned what you needed to know.

The good news, you have an entire map full of people to interview, and almost every house on the map has people in it. And some know things, and some might even be helpful. Some might not.

The other thing I don't really care for I will reveal after the campaign is over because it may or may not come into play. I'm leaning towards not because I don't think it's fun for anybody involved.
Unless I can tweak it and somehow make it more fun...
Hmm.

Anyways, sound like the decision has been made to split up... so time for the entire group to walk into town, I guess ;~)
I'll try to get a post up soon.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 am
Tattooedman wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:41 am
As much as I'd like to applaud Arkite for the idea,I think I've heard other DMs suggest using that method for scenario, it might be written in the actual module. It's still a good idea.

Matthew Colville, a DM who does D&D videos on youtube that I follow, definitely mentioned it at some point, and I know he's done some videos about Against the Cult of the Reptile God/the town of Orlane. He apparently really likes Orlane as a starter town for D&D campaigns.
I was unaware that idea was part of the module, still a cool idea.
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Arkrite wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm Ignore the man behind the curtain! ;~)

Yup, Stavaros got it in one.
The letter idea was something I swiped from somebody else because
A) It sounded neat
and
B) It would give at least one of the players a personal reason to be interested in solving the quest.

And yes the letters and the idea for doing this campaign came from Matthew Colville. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
No worries, a few of the adventures I've run have been based on published materials. I'll not specify which just because I can't think of all of them off the top of my head. I had a blast running them, but there was a bit of re-working required to make it fit the groups.
stavaros_the_arcane

To be fair Matt Colville is a really good source for D&D tips and ideas, watching his stuff was part of what inspired me to start up my own campaign which Arkite is a player in. Hence why I recognized the concept from it.

Hell I currently have my players running a simple first level dungeon created by Colville, which is really easy to modify to fit my game needs.

----

On a totally unrelated note, I'm having loads of fun contrasting Aldan's paranoia with Georgia's unrelenting positivity.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I laugh everytime I see Georgia's full name :D
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The challenge right now?
Trying to keep all the buildings and their inhabitants straight.
The challenge later? Trying to remember all their names.

I may have to add a list of known characters to the first few posts of the OOC just to keep our sanity.
There is a map and a link to a larger map in the first post of the OOC thread just to help you figure out where you are.
stavaros_the_arcane

Shock wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:41 am I laugh everytime I see Georgia's full name :D
The pun is intentional, in fact the name and concept long precede me actually statting her for this game. In fact I think I came up with the name first.
A while back I made a whole list of amusing/interesting character concepts and race/class/background combos.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 am The challenge right now?

I may have to add a list of known characters to the first few posts of the OOC just to keep our sanity.
There is a map and a link to a larger map in the first post of the OOC thread just to help you figure out where you are.
Would it help if, in traditional D&D murder--hobo fashion, we kill people as we meet them and take their stuff?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 am
Arkrite wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:44 am The challenge right now?

Would it help if, in traditional D&D murder--hobo fashion, we kill people as we meet them and take their stuff?
No. :lol:
But in tradition D&D murder--hobo fashion the game is LITERALLY designed in the off chance that you feel like robbing every person you come across.
Not even kidding, every home has a listing for gold, treasure, who has it, who doesn't, where it is hidden, etc, etc.

Apparently this was a first edition game where the people didn't get experience, they leveled up by collecting more gold, so it was somewhat assume some characters would go crazy and loot anything and everything around.

Now days we kind of hope it's just the bad guys who have that kind of behavior!