IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Shock

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 21 AC:18

Tyragorn laughs. "After the day we've had, I wouldn't turn down anyone's cooking."
Wine check: 1d20 7
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
wine: 1d20 12
Aldan actually struggles with his typical elven impassability. "This is sorcery." he says with a bit of awe.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Hardly," Ollwin smiles, pleased by the reaction, "You'll find no fancy wand on me, my good sir. All I've got is experience, talent, the best ingredients that Merikka blesses us with, and-"

"A loving wife to keep you on task," Belba says with a grin, sipping her own wine.

Ollwin gives you a look as if to say 'see what I have to put up with?' but the smile never leaves his face as he responds fondly, "Yes, dear."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Objects of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)

Zasio takes surprisingly cultured sips of the offered wine, and while it is quite good he can recall drinking at least one or two better in his youth at banquets his family attended. Still, it is a good drink that he can tell is made by experienced hands that care about their craft. "And blessed you Merikka has." Zasio says to Ollwin as he gives the inn keeper a small tip of his glass.

OOC wrote:Wine Check: _: 1D20+0 = [17]+0 = 17.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia Fiddler

Georgia takes a glass for herself, and her eyes widen as she takes a sip. Oh this was The Good Stuff.

Georgia's family were simple farm folk and not too difficult to please, and this was true of their taste in Drink. The ones that chose to wander often got to sample a wide selection ranging from backwoods rotgut to the stuff that graced the tables of the wealthy and powerful. Some like her Uncle Jesse had an discerning palate and would down anything as long as it was Alcoholic, but other like her Aunt Lizbeth made sure she had enough of an education to judge the qualities of drink she was served, to make sure she wasn't getting ripped off at the very least.

But the most important lesson was about recognizing 'The Good Stuff', drink where a lot of care, effort, and skill had gone into the growing, harvesting, and making of the drink. It was drink meant to be shared and enjoyed, to be broken out at the slightest excuse to celebrate life rather than horded for distinguished company.

Her Grandpa had secured several bottles of The Good Stuff from an old friend that ran a Vineyard to celebrate Georgia setting off on her own. The memory of her family being together warmed Georgia's heart.

This Wine didn't taste the same; the type of grapes, region they were grown in, even the wine making methods were different. But still this was that same kind of drink, that existed to accompany moments of celebration.
Arkrite wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:21 pm "Hardly," Ollwin smiles, pleased by the reaction, "You'll find no fancy wand on me, my good sir. All I've got is experience, talent, the best ingredients that Merikka blesses us with, and-"

"A loving wife to keep you on task," Belba says with a grin, sipping her own wine.

Ollwin gives you a look as if to say 'see what I have to put up with?' but the smile never leaves his face as he responds fondly, "Yes, dear."
Georgia turned to Ollwin and Belba and smiled. "Well my family has a saying; The Good Stuff is always made with Love."

OOC: Wine Check 1d20: 18
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan tips the emptied glass again in vain hopes of a droplet missed.

"And how much do you charge for this Vintner's Act of Heresy to Swoon the Saints?" Aldan asks.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Oh he loves his wine," Belba nods, cheerfully ignoring the rolled eyes Ollwin gives her in response.

Ollwin pauses, as though he's not entirely sure what Aldan said, but has the good grace to look a little apologetic as he says, "Well, it's a long slow process, and I only have so many bottles, so I'm afraid they go for a gold a bottle. Still, it's hard to argue with the quality."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn's eyes bulged. "A gold a bottle? It's a wonder you sell as much as you do."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan considers the price as if it were routine to hear such a large price. He weighs it and nods. "We'll see how lucrative our business ventures are in Orlane." he says speculatively.

"In any event, clean up then mayor's house, companions?" he asks.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn finished his wine and nodded. "Yes, let's get to it."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Ah, I thought so as well," Ollwin confides as he spreads the last of the bottle amongst your glasses, as well as his own and his wife's before setting the empty bottle behind the bar, "Then I heard how the merchants were taking my wine and selling it to nobles for five gold a bottle. Five!"

He shakes his head savoring the last of his wine.

Belba brings out a pair of large kettles, "Here you are, watch yourself it's fresh off the oven. You'll find a pitcher of water in the room and a wash basin under the beds."

She shows you up to your rooms which, while showing some age, are well kept, clean, and have been aired out recently. The sheets have even been laundered.

With a smile Belba leaves you to clean up and prepare before dinner.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

When you arrive at the Ormond household you can already smell dinner before the door opens.

You're met at the door by Travers, who eyes you all suspiciously and stands disapprovingly in the doorway until he's chased off by Karia who is much happier to see you all. She bustles out onto the steps and hooks an arm with Georgia and Jessica, leading the group into the dining room.

You're introduced to her two grown sons, Viric and Zarren, who are polite, though a bit on the wary side, her teenage daughter, Ella, who spends most of her time shyly peeking out at Aldan and Zasio, and ten year old Reli who repeatedly, and loudly, talks to her mom about the girl with the pretty horns.

The dining room is quite large, with table large enough to fit everybody. Karia brings in a large pot of chicken stew with dumplings, as well as a fresh loaf of bread with a small bowl of butter. A pitcher of water, fresh milk, and a bottle of wine.

Once everybody sits down Zakarias goes to start a conversation, but the family cuts him off by immediately helping themselves to drinks, and food, passing items along after using them so everybody gets a chance to serve themselves. Zakarias looks a little annoyed, but simply shrugs and waits for everybody to settle down before starting.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan would recommend the group up a bottle of the excellent wine from the coin earned at the defunct inn to bring to the mayor's gathering. If no one objects he presents a bottle to the mistress of the house with their compliments. He likewise passes on the greetings from the innkeeper and his wife.

He certainly doesn't want to spoil a fine meal with talk of the town's troubles. He directs the dinner conversation to Georgia for good stories to entertain the gathering claiming that the life of a Company Investigator does not usually lend itself to exciting tales.

He waits patiently for the meal's conclusion and the dismissal of the children for any serious talk.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn greeted their hosts and children with a wide smile. "It's so nice to have a home-cooked meal after eating on the road for so long." During the meal, he compliments the food multiple times. In conversation, he has time for the children and adults equally.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Karia spends most of the meal ignoring her food in favor of talking with each of you, asking about where you're from, places you've been to, and about your various adventures. She seems delighted by any stories offered.

Travers takes the bottle of wine as soon as it's offered and disappears into the kitchen with Zarren. A few moments later they reappear with the bottle and a tray full of goblets. Travers gives Aldan a slight grudging nod as the wine is poured and passed out. Even Ella and Reli get some, though theirs is a much smaller amount and watered down.

Tryagorn seems to be the biggest hit of the dinner, as the older boys warm to him quickly, and Ella even mumbles a few responses while hiding behind her goblet.

As the dinner winds down Karia takes the younger children upstairs, while the rest of you remain at the table. Zakarias produces another bottle of wine, though not as good as one one you brought, and fills everybody's glasses again before settling down to speak.

"I'd prefer this not be shared amongst the town. The elves you're so interested in are working for me. After it became apparent that these problems weren't some passing issue, and that Constable Grover seems unable or even uninterested in looking into it, I reached out to some people I trusted to hire some rangers to do some investigations."

"They found signs of goblin tracks leading back to the forest, and went out to investigate. They weren't expecting to be back for a week, they believed there had to be some kind of a base or headquarters. They insisted there must be something of the sort if they've been bothering our town this long and wanted to track it down."

Zakarias grimaces, "They won't be back for another four days at the earliest. And now we find a den of goblins and lizardmen in our own town."

"What ever is happening here I fear it is coming to a head."