IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"Then do you suggest Tyragorn come in and ask questions with me?" Aldan asks. "Or perhaps I stay out with Zasio and you guys mention that your 'unreasonable boss' wants you all to inspect the inn? Can you guys sell that?" the young elf queries.
"Something pithy this way comes."
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:05 am Aldan

"Then do you suggest Tyragorn come in and ask questions with me?" Aldan asks. "Or perhaps I stay out with Zasio and you guys mention that your 'unreasonable boss' wants you all to inspect the inn? Can you guys sell that?" the young elf queries.
"I can sell it, besides taverns, inns, and alehouses are where I do some of my best work." Georgia speaks up. "I'm about as quick with my tongue as you are Aldan, so spinning a yarn about a fussy boss and using it as an excuse to visit every tavern in town is child's play. Heck if I play up the right angle I can probably do it without fibbing. Replace the word 'paranoid' with 'particular' and I can honestly say that 'Mister Tallymin' is very particular about a lot of things."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan nods, "And say things like Mr. Tallymin says he wants to..." Aldan trails off with a wave of his hand.

"That way it's not a deception."

"Okay, you guys go in, spin the tale, Zasio will conceal ourselves outside and watch. We'll flash reflected light through a window three times as a signal we've spotted someone. Excuse yourselves and meet whoever is out here to meet you. Remember our call sign and responses." he says.

"It's a plan."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

"I'll let you sell the deception. I'll keep an eye out for anyone taking too much interest."
stavaros_the_arcane

Gerogia smiles, "You just leave the sweet talking to me. It'll be good to have someone watching my back."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn nodded and returned the smile. "Lead on, then. Let's not waste the day."
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Objects of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)

While the majority of the group makes their way to the tavern Zasio takes a moment to look over the area, looking for spots for he and Aldan can hide but would be able to use his mirrors for signaling. It didn't take very long and he taps the elf on the shoulder. "Come Aldan, let's get settled in and see who might fall for this ploy."
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The trip to the inn is uneventful. The few people you see on the road tend to keep as far from you as they can without drawing attention to themselves.

Inside

This room seems like a pleasant place, but the people are subdued, generally sitting alone. Those sitting together are not talking and no fires are lit in the fireplaces. Several barrels of light and dark beer are tapped behind the bar.

There is a big heavyset man behind the counter, polishing the bar. When you come in he looks up and smiles, "Ah, what's this? New faces? Come in, come in!"

"Welcome to the Golden Grain, what can Bertram get you today? Ale, wine? I am personally fond of the brandy," He says, patting his belly with a jovial laugh.

Outside
OOC: So for those of you hiding outside, a stealth check and a spot check would be nice. It would also help if you let me know where you are staked out.
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 am The trip to the inn is uneventful. The few people you see on the road tend to keep as far from you as they can without drawing attention to themselves.

Inside

This room seems like a pleasant place, but the people are subdued, generally sitting alone. Those sitting together are not talking and no fires are lit in the fireplaces. Several barrels of light and dark beer are tapped behind the bar.

There is a big heavyset man behind the counter, polishing the bar. When you come in he looks up and smiles, "Ah, what's this? New faces? Come in, come in!"

"Welcome to the Golden Grain, what can Bertram get you today? Ale, wine? I am personally fond of the brandy," He says, patting his belly with a jovial laugh.

Outside
OOC: So for those of you hiding outside, a stealth check and a spot check would be nice. It would also help if you let me know where you are staked out.
Georgia happily trots up to the bar, a smile on her face despite the tense atmosphere. "Well howdy there, Bertram. My name is Georgia and I'm new in town. A pleasure to meet you. And if you're giving it your personal recommendation then I will just have to sample to brandy."

She looks around the bar. "Cheery bunch of regulars you've got here."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan recommends to the Ranger that they hide in separate locations, near enough to each other that they hear a shout from the other, just in case.

Aldan will be at the lake-most corner of building #8 (After trying to figure out what building #8 is). He's mostly concealed from the inn that he's watching and knows that puts him in view of the elves' cottage (he glances that way to see if he sees movement). He brushes his hair back to make sure his pointed ears are visible.
Perception to determine what 8 is: 1d20+4 11
and the subsequent building to the Northwest.
Stealth: 1d20+6 15
Perception: 1d20+4 14
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn followed Georgia up to the bar. "Ale, please." He took a quick look over the other patrons but didn't get much because he was trying to not let them realize he was looking.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Aldan recommends to the Ranger that they hide in separate locations, near enough to each other that they hear a shout from the other, just in case.
Zasio agrees to Aldan’s suggestion, it did have merit obviously. He moves to the corner of a building near the one Aldan is hiding behind, trying to figure out what it actually is as he’d rather not hid behind some kind of animal stalls where any movement from him could perhaps startle the animals and make a ruckus that would draw unwanted attention.

OOC wrote: Zasio Perception to figure out what building 12 is before he hides behind it: Roll(1d20)+4: 17,+4 Total:21
Zasio Stealth: Roll(1d20)+5: 19,+5 Total:24
Zasio Spot: Roll(1d20)+0: 14,+0 Total:14
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:36 am She looks around the bar. "Cheery bunch of regulars you've got here."
"Ah, they're just sour, don't mind them," He says then leans forward, "Want to see something funny?"

"Hey Derek, open the shutters, it's stuffy in here."

One of the men grumbles and goes to the windows, throwing them open one after another, resulting in a bout of people groaning and complaining as the sunlight lights up the dark room.

Derek stands at the window for a minute before sighing, shaking his head and heading back to his table muttering.

Bertram laughs again, "Ah, sunlight is good for those ol' ghouls."

"So Ale and Brandy?" he says digging behind the counter for a bottle of brandy, and pours some into a wooden mug, before dragging out another mug and fills it with ale, "So, what brings you to our little Podunk? I don't suppose the caravans are coming through again?"

Outside

Aldan gets his first hint about where he decided to hide when the smell of horse manure hits him.
The exceedingly run-down structure of wood is obviously some form of stables. Faint traces of a former paint job cling to small parts of the walls, but in some places the bare wood has started to rot. A fenced walkway leads from the road to the back of the house, and horse manure is scattered liberally about.
There aren't a lot of horses around, but there are sounds of somebody working in the stables right now. That being said the shoddy fence work patched with wooden planks as well as poles allows Aldan a few choice places to huddle down out of sight.

Zasio's choice in hiding spot is also pretty easy to figure out at a glance. The well kept building has an assortment of farm implements and cooking utensils set out on the porch, and even more appears to be inside. Over the door is a well painted sign depicting a pot, a plow, a sack and a lantern. The front door is sitting wide open.

After sitting there for a little while you see the kid Tyragorn offered a goodberry nearly trip over his own feet as he walks down the road to stand across the street from the tavern. When the shutters open a rough looking man looks out for a few moments, his eyes scanning the area. The kid holds up five fingers, the man grunts and disappears back into the tavern.

The kid looks around then runs back down the road the way he came.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:

Zasio watched as the boy held up five fingers, which interestingly enough was the number of members in the group. It could be a random occurrence, but if the ranger knew anything it was that such things were not random. Still their plan called for following anyone who came out of the tavern, not someone signaling to someone inside of it, so Zasio keeps a mental note of the boy's involvement and keeps his eyes trained on his surroundings.

Besides, he was very sure that Aldan would notice the boy's actions as well and would have plenty to speculate upon its supposed meaning.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Horse poop.

Of course he was surrounded by horse poop.

Where else would the fickle gods put the best place to hide and surveil other than hemmed in on all sides by a veritable army of equine fecal matter like some cavalry flanking maneuver if the horses and men were removed from the equation... leaving only their poop.

Careful not to get any on his good clothes, Aldan settles in to watch.

He spies the motion of the shudders and drops down further as the enigmatic exchange between the obviously compromised boy and the face in the window. This told Aldan many things. As the family they first met was obviously compromised this clandestine exchange meant at least some inside the inn were likewise. It also meant that the creatures could not communicate telepathically. Likewise it meant that those inside knew there were two others, That actually could be a protection for them inside; maybe they wouldn't be targeted until their foes could be sure to get the whole group. But it could also mean that those inside would spring on the reduced number in hopes of an easier capture. Aldan disliked when he thought himself around in circles - the curse of his intellect. It depended on how the minstrel spun the excuse for their absence.

Aldan caught another look as the face turned away and the color drained from his elven features. He hoped that is was doppelgangers or even fey changelings. It would be better than having to deal with that man. Aldan looks back to where Zasio said he'd be hiding and was unsurprised that he couldn't see the half-elf immediately. With the distance too great for his Arcane Hand to traverse Aldan wished he had the minor spell that conveyed whispered words.

With nothing for it, Aldan travels south along the stable side opposite from the inn, moving carefully to avoid being heard or spotted, but also to avoid stepping in horse poop.
Stealth: 1d20+6 9 Good news is I should be not visible from the folk in the inn, and Zasio should easily see me.
Perception: 1d20+4 23 to see Zasio or poop. And.. spotted both.