IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:17 am
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:36 am She looks around the bar. "Cheery bunch of regulars you've got here."
"Ah, they're just sour, don't mind them," He says then leans forward, "Want to see something funny?"

"Hey Derek, open the shutters, it's stuffy in here."

One of the men grumbles and goes to the windows, throwing them open one after another, resulting in a bout of people groaning and complaining as the sunlight lights up the dark room.

Derek stands at the window for a minute before sighing, shaking his head and heading back to his table muttering.

Bertram laughs again, "Ah, sunlight is good for those ol' ghouls."

"So Ale and Brandy?" he says digging behind the counter for a bottle of brandy, and pours some into a wooden mug, before dragging out another mug and fills it with ale, "So, what brings you to our little Podunk? I don't suppose the caravans are coming through again?"
Georgia laughs at Bertram's shenanigans and takes a sip of her brandy. "Hey want to see something else funny?"

She whistles a descending arpeggio and the windows all slam shut one at a time in the reverse order that Derek opened them. She give a moment for the other patrons to adapt to being returned to shadows before she snaps her fingers and the windows fly open again.

(OOC: Fun with Thaumaturgy. A warning, I intend to use thaumaturgy for as many shenanigans and bits of dramatic nonsense as possible.)

She turns back to Bertram with a cheeky grin. "As for the caravans running again...not quite yet, but consider it a work in progress. Someone with clout noticed that something wasn't right in these parts; weird rumors, trade drying up, all that, and decided to send us and some others to look into it. Hopefully by the time we're done caravans will be back to running as usual. But first I have a very important task from the fancy fusspot nominally in charge, to visit every inn and tavern in town in order to 'find suitable accommodations'."

Georgia pauses a moment and has some more of her brandy and gives an adorable pout. "You ever get annoyed at someone for demanding you go do something you would have done anyways? I mean its almost enough to suck all the fun out of getting paid to go drink my way around town."
Shock

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn nodded in agreement with Georgia's statements. "We'd like to see this a safe place to live and to travel." He cringed at her display, remembering the reaction he got from a simple magic berry.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Outside

Aldan is able to move around without issue, the streets are pretty quiet even at this point of the day.

Suddenly all the shutters that had been closed slam shut one after another before suddenly all snapping back open again.

Inside

As the windows slam closed most of the people in the room half stand, startled by the unexpected noise and darkness. When the shutters slam open again it's easy to see that while the patrons are sitting back down they're all glaring in Georgia and Tyragorn's direction.

Bertram's expression breaks from jovial as he leans forward and says, "Funny as it is, you might not want to antagonize the boys. Everybody's jumpy around strangers these days."
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:06 am Georgia pauses a moment and has some more of her brandy and gives an adorable pout. "You ever get annoyed at someone for demanding you go do something you would have done anyways? I mean its almost enough to suck all the fun out of getting paid to go drink my way around town."
Bertram laughs, "Well, I don't want to ruin your day but we happen to be the best Inn in town. Plenty of room!"

Shock wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 pm Tyragorn nodded in agreement with Georgia's statements. "We'd like to see this a safe place to live and to travel." He cringed at her display, remembering the reaction he got from a simple magic berry.
"Ah, yes, it would be nice to get more people coming through. All this paranoia," He shakes his head, "People are scared so the move away, and that scares other people so they move, next thing you know nobody's around and everybody's wondering where everybody went. And then they want to go too!"

"If somebody doesn't smarten them up soon? Well, I'm going to be serving myself brandy!"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
Arkrite wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm Outside

Aldan is able to move around without issue, the streets are pretty quiet even at this point of the day.

Suddenly all the shutters that had been closed slam shut one after another before suddenly all snapping back open again.
Aldan froze, hearing the shutters slam close. Was that a message that his companions inside were in trouble? He hurried to cross from the stables to the general store. The Ranger said he'd be hiding around here and, indeed, Aldan could not see him.

"Zas...?" he hisses with some urgency. "Zas?" Aldan listens for either a reply from the woodsman or further shouts or battle sounds from the inn. Tyragorn at least would not go quietly if there were treachery.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn frowned, unable to conceal his dismay at the state of the town. "Have more people moved away or just disappeared?"
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Objects of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)
Zasio straightened up slightly, confused as to how the shutters were slamming about on their own. Then he assumed it was something done by the others, Georgia likely given her playful nature, and settled down and removed his hand from the hilt of his sword.
"Zas...?" he hisses with some urgency. "Zas?" Aldan listens for either a reply from the woodsman or further shouts or battle sounds from the inn.
The ranger quietly sighed. He should have figured something like this might happen. "Here Al." His voice carried just enough so that the elf could hear it and trace the sound back to its source, but not loud enough to get the attention of anyone who might be passing by.

OOC wrote:Stealth Check: Roll(1d20)+5: 15,+5 Total:20. Just in case someone else is wondering nearby.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia Fiddler

Arkrite wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm Inside

As the windows slam closed most of the people in the room half stand, startled by the unexpected noise and darkness. When the shutters slam open again it's easy to see that while the patrons are sitting back down they're all glaring in Georgia and Tyragorn's direction.

Bertram's expression breaks from jovial as he leans forward and says, "Funny as it is, you might not want to antagonize the boys. Everybody's jumpy around strangers these days."
Georgia gives a sigh, conceding the point. "Fair enough, trust is often the first thing to skedaddle when times get tough. Humor tends to follow after. One of the first things you learn as a bard is how to recognize a tough crowd."
Arkrite wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:06 am Georgia pauses a moment and has some more of her brandy and gives an adorable pout. "You ever get annoyed at someone for demanding you go do something you would have done anyways? I mean its almost enough to suck all the fun out of getting paid to go drink my way around town."
Bertram laughs, "Well, I don't want to ruin your day but we happen to be the best Inn in town. Plenty of room!"
"Not that I'd ever doubt your word on the matter; but I at least have to make a show of visiting the other options. Otherwise I'll be in for an earful of complaints and grumbling. 'blah blah blah, slacking off, blah blah blah, what do I pay you for? blah blah blah totally unacceptable blah blah.' Like I said persnickety boss. So I have to check all the inns."
Arkrite wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 pm
Shock wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:25 pm Tyragorn nodded in agreement with Georgia's statements. "We'd like to see this a safe place to live and to travel." He cringed at her display, remembering the reaction he got from a simple magic berry.
"Ah, yes, it would be nice to get more people coming through. All this paranoia," He shakes his head, "People are scared so the move away, and that scares other people so they move, next thing you know nobody's around and everybody's wondering where everybody went. And then they want to go too!"

"If somebody doesn't smarten them up soon? Well, I'm going to be serving myself brandy!"
"As fantastic as your brandy is, I can see why serving it to yourself is not a business model that would last. From what I saw on the way in, it looks like one of your competitors already went under, what with the building all boarded up like that. Hopefully something can be worked out to get the flow of trade and people going the right way again. Any idea what kicked off this big old downward spiral the town is caught in?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"First, I'm assuming since there was no pre-arranged signal or continued sounds of battle that the windows thing was a fluke or display of intimidation or some such." he says quickly to get that out of the way. "What I was really coming over here to say was that I recognized the man who came to the window. Derek Desleigh is a notorious murder, amoral, psychopathic, former crime lord who disappeared a while ago. He's clever and deadly and would not hesitate to dispatch an annoyance. And he's very quick to annoy. I do not know if he'd recognize me in this roll, I doubt we ever had any significant dealings but him being here does not bode well. I don't know how or even IF he's involved in all of this, but you should know what sort we are dealing with. I don't think he favoured poisons, so there's that. But if a fight in there does break out and they don't recognize the danger Derek poses they will not survive it. And if they DO pass on our ruse of going to inspect the abandoned inn and Derek is sent to move the bodies or whatever, no one should go after him alone." Aldan takes a breath.

"You needed to be made aware." the elf finishes.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Inside
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm "Not that I'd ever doubt your word on the matter; but I at least have to make a show of visiting the other options. Otherwise I'll be in for an earful of complaints and grumbling. 'blah blah blah, slacking off, blah blah blah, what do I pay you for? blah blah blah totally unacceptable blah blah.' Like I said persnickety boss. So I have to check all the inns."
"Ha, sounds like a real slave driver," Bertram chuckles, "Ah, well, if you feel like wasting your time... The customer is always right."

"Me? I'd just drink more brandy and say I've seen the rest," He wriggles his eyebrows and holds up the brandy bottle.

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 pm "As fantastic as your brandy is, I can see why serving it to yourself is not a business model that would last. From what I saw on the way in, it looks like one of your competitors already went under, what with the building all boarded up like that. Hopefully something can be worked out to get the flow of trade and people going the right way again. Any idea what kicked off this big old downward spiral the town is caught in?"
"Eh, who can say? Maybe it is all because of those goblin attacks years back. Nobody likes knowing those damn green skins are waiting in the forest to kill us," he shrugs, then grins, "But we bloody well showed them what for the last time, and they haven't been back since."

"If you ask me?" He lowers his voice, "This place isn't much. There's very little to keep people around except friends and family. It's not like a big city where there is always new things happening. Some people get up one day and realize: This is it. No magic, or treasure, or adventures just... grain. As far as the eye can see."

"After that? Fear and paranoia. Some people just leave, other people wonder if something bad is happening, so they leave, which scares other people..." He waves his hand in the air making a loop, "It just keeps going."
Shock wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 pmTyragorn frowned, unable to conceal his dismay at the state of the town. "Have more people moved away or just disappeared?"
"You mean recently? Well, the blacksmith's wife ran off. Can't blame her, that man was a bear back when they first moved here. Now?" He shakes his head, "I avoid going to the blacksmith's shop, let me tell you."

He sighs, "Still, wouldn't be surprised if she winds up going back to him. Ain't easy for a woman to make her way alone these days."

Outside

A middle aged man and his young son wander down the street, seemingly oblivious to either of your presence.

Across the street at the stables you can hear the man working inside the building cheerfully singing to himself, off key and (from what you remember of Georgia's performances) with the words largely incorrect.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

At the approach of the two townies Aldan holds up a hand for silence and whispers ever-so softly to Zasio, "This is the part of the Bard's Tale where the two people trying to be unnoticed kiss to throw off suspicion." He looks at the gruff ex-soldier a moment, judging... "But perhaps we can forego that particular part of tradition." he says, his tone giving no hints as to if he was kidding or not. This is quite in line with the sense of humor he's displayed on the road traveling here.

Aldan redoubles his efforts to remain unseen.
Stealth: 1d20+4 11
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

"Where did she go? Did she have any friends that might know?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Inside

Bertram gives Tyragorn a funny look, wondering why this stranger would want to know before seeming to remember that he doesn't really care either way and goes back to polishing the bar absently.

"How would I know where she went? Don't you be insinuating anything, I don't want her crazy husband thinking I so much as even talked to her," Bertram shakes his head, "He'd probably take my head clean off!"

"As for friends? Eh, not sure? She used to hang around with one of the younger girls, not one of my regulars obviously so the name is escaping me," He thinks for a moment then adds, "Oh she used to visit that old woman, I think. Leastwise I saw her walking out that way once."

Outside

The older man hurries his son along as they continue down the road, leaving the area almost silent except for the distant off key singing.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan tries to determine if they were spotted or not via body language concerning the older man's sudden haste.
Insight: 1d20+4 22
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Objects of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)
Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm "First, I'm assuming since there was no pre-arranged signal or continued sounds of battle that the windows thing was a fluke or display of intimidation or some such." he says quickly to get that out of the way. "What I was really coming over here to say was that I recognized the man who came to the window. Derek Desleigh is a notorious murder, amoral, psychopathic, former crime lord who disappeared a while ago. He's clever and deadly and would not hesitate to dispatch an annoyance. And he's very quick to annoy. I do not know if he'd recognize me in this roll, I doubt we ever had any significant dealings but him being here does not bode well. I don't know how or even IF he's involved in all of this, but you should know what sort we are dealing with. I don't think he favoured poisons, so there's that. But if a fight in there does break out and they don't recognize the danger Derek poses they will not survive it. And if they DO pass on our ruse of going to inspect the abandoned inn and Derek is sent to move the bodies or whatever, no one should go after him alone." Aldan takes a breath.

"You needed to be made aware." the elf finishes.
“So he is someone we should keep aware of while we are here.” The ranger says quietly as he commits Derek's features to memory.
A middle aged man and his young son wander down the street, seemingly oblivious to either of your presence.

Across the street at the stables you can hear the man working inside the building cheerfully singing to himself, off key and (from what you remember of Georgia's performances) with the words largely incorrect.
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:59 am At the approach of the two townies Aldan holds up a hand for silence and whispers ever-so softly to Zasio, "This is the part of the Bard's Tale where the two people trying to be unnoticed kiss to throw off suspicion." He looks at the gruff ex-soldier a moment, judging... "But perhaps we can forego that particular part of tradition." he says, his tone giving no hints as to if he was kidding or not. This is quite in line with the sense of humor he's displayed on the road traveling here.
“I am willing to take the chance we can forego that tradition.” Zasio says, in a tone that matches the one Aldan used.
Arkrite wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 pmThe older man hurries his son along as they continue down the road, leaving the area almost silent except for the distant off key singing.
Zasio watches the pair just as intently as his companion does, but is sure to be aware of his surroundings as well as any possible sign that might come from the tavern.

OOC wrote:Insight Check: Insight: 1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn shook his head slowly. Everyone in the town was so quick to assume the worst. "Please, you have nothing to fear from me. Ailla is my sister. I just want to find her."