IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Arkrite »

Jessica puts her weapon away and places her hands on Tyragorn's shoulder. A quick murmured prayer and a golden aura surrounds the Paladin, healing his wounds.

"I can help," She says to Georgia, conjuring a flame on her hand.

Between the candle and Jessica's you're able to get a good look at cellar.
There is a foul swampy smell to the room, and the floor is littered with random debris. Bones and plants from discarded meals, as well as any other items the lizardmen or goblins considered to be waste.
Two doorways lead to smaller rooms.
One is fairly clean, by comparison, but has the most concentrated stench of swamp. A few mats are on the floor, and a small bag and toolkit can be found behind the door. Along the side of the room is stacked planks of wood, possibly for repairs to the inn.

The other room is a smaller area, but it is filled to capacity. Nearest to the door is a mound of smelling rotting blankets that seems to have been turned into a nest. Across the floor, blankets and anywhere else you can find all of the missing cutlery and knives from upstairs. Surrounding the nest on all sides is just a pile of random things. Plates, pans, pots, shirts, a boot, gnarled sticks, shiny rocks, a few dried out flowers, the skulls of small animals, and at least one skull from a cow, weather-beaten and worn from age. Under all of that is even more collected stuff, going high enough that there's a bit of a concern that pulling a few pieces out could cause the whole pile to collapse into the middle and right onto anybody standing there.
OOC: Jessica uses Cure Wounds on Tyragorn for 10 HP. Life Domain clerics can really heal.
Feel free to look around.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"I'll be no more than a few steps from the bottom stair. and Zasio can come with, Georgia too. Or they can stay up here and come down only when they hear the traditional elven cry of bravery which may, superficially sound like an eight year old human female. Just sayin'." He says with a slightly nervous chuckle.

Aldan goes down the stairs to the bottom and looks around he'll narrate up what he sees if anything.
"Something pithy this way comes."
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia Fiddler

Georgia lights her candle and goes down with Aldan to have a look around. She gives the junk pile look over in case the goblins that clearly dragged this stuff down here accidentally grabbed something of value along with the dross and clutter.

Then she goes to take a look at the other room and the Bag and Toolkit within.

"I'm guessing the lizards didn't want to room with the goblins, not that I blame them. I've met folks literally raised in a barn that were tidier lodgers than the little horders."

OOC: searching for stuff among the junk pile would be perception not investigation right? 1d20+2: 12
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan directs the mage hand to move the foul blankets of the 'nest' to the side to look for interesting stuff in there.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13 AC:18

"My thanks, Jessica." Tyragorn followed to the bottom of the stairs but held there. "Do you see anything aside from the filth?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Georgia's search of the debris is mostly fruitless, as what the goblins find worth keeping seems to be only reasonable to their own crazed minds. As you're about to give up and walk away you discover something shining beneath a pile of plates which turns out to be two cloth-of-gold vestments in the style of Merikka's priests. The fancy clothing can be work a good bit of money, though as they are, soiled and filthy, it might not fetch as much as it would normally.

The smell coming off the blankets is horrifying, to the point that most creatures would have given up searching through the nest.
Most creatures don't have a disembodied hand assisting them.

As the blankets are lifted and cast aside the occasional silver and copper coin hit the ground, along with a handful of sliver holy symbols of Merikka. At the very bottom of the pile a small leather satchel is hidden. Considering where it was hidden it appears to be extremely well made, and surprisingly clean.

In the next room the search is much easier. The toolkit carries largely what you would expect, hammers, saws, some nails, and random other woodworking tools. Useful in a pinch but largely not worth very much.
The bag, on the other hand, holds six gemstones of low quality, and two vials of red liquid that are easily familiar to anybody who's ever seen a Potion of Healing.
OOC: The nest contains 34 copper, 11 silver, and one high quality bag.
The debris contains two Cloth of Gold Vestimets which are worth 25 gold each, though as standing they won't sell for that much.
The other room has 6 gemstones worth 10 GP each, and two Potions of Healing.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

The spectral hand deposits the coins in a pile. The spectral hand tries to lift the well-made sachel. If it's under 10 pounds the hand floats it to 10 feet away from Aldan, if it's over 10 pounds the hand affixes Aldan's grappling hook and line to the bag and he pulls it to within 10 feet.

"Georgia, could I get a magical cleaning over the bag please?" He asks the bard.

When that's done he steps over to inspect the bag carefully for booby traps or triggers.
investigation: 1d20+5 10
Finding none [presumably with that poor roll], he gingerly opens the pouch and peers inside.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia Fiddler

Georgia hums a tune that her mother used to sing while doing laundry, using it as a focus for her magic as she uses it to clean the filth from first the bag as Aldan requested, then the poor mistreated vestments. "There you go, Squeaky clean."

OOC: Use prestidigitation three times using the "You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot" option.
Shock wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 am Tyragorn

"My thanks, Jessica." Tyragorn followed to the bottom of the stairs but held there. "Do you see anything aside from the filth?"
"Lots of clutter, some gross bedding, a few actual valuables, what looks the stolen possessions of priests of Merikka, and some potions probably of the healing variety."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

The elf tipped a non-existent hat off to the bardess. There were many in his high-elf community growing up who possessed magics like that and seeing it in use was nostalgic. He tries not to let Georgia's called up response sway him from his own sachel investigations.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The bag turns out to be too heavy for the mage hand to move on it's own, but the grappling hook manages to work without any issues. The bag itself seems to be somewhere between ten to twenty pounds.

Georgia's cleaning spell works absolute wonders on the Vestimets, turning the filthy smelling clothing into a pristine state. In spite of the poor handling by the goblins there doesn't appear to be any noticeable damage to the items.

The cleaning spell seems to have less of an effect on the bag that currently has Aldan's attention, as the bag was already fairly clean to begin with.

The bag, on closer look, appears to have been masterfully made with good quality materials. The stitching is strong, the leather is supple, and close inspection reveals some leather-working of what appears to be a stylized field of wheat across the top flap. What he doesn't see is traps, booby-traps, triggers or evil curses. He also fails to find anything inside the bag, as upon looking inside the bag appears to be empty, in spite of the surprising weight.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan will feel around the panels of the bag, outside and in, to see if something is sewn into the lining or leather. Otherwise he'll put the strap of it over his shoulder to show the others upstairs.

He'll help Georgia collect everything of note for carry back upstairs.

"Any place we haven't looked yet?" he asks.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

"Those should be returned to Merikka." Tyragorn pointed at the vestments. He hated to see items belonging the Goodly gods be desecrated like that.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"They should, Tyragorn..." the elf agrees. "At some point we should see if the temple still honors the goddess or if it has been infested. We should also talk bout what to do with the rest of our day. I really don't trust the inhabitants of the Golden Grain Inn - they are colluding with a group or force having us actively followed. I think to stay there would be to invite a visit by whatever changelings or fey are replacing or subverting the townsfolk. Or at least a drugging and/or visit by the master assassin I spotted there."

"I'd rather sleep outside with that old druid we heard about."
Aldan confesses. And the city elf was no great lover of sleeping outdoors.

[What time of day is it?]
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Shock wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:46 am "Those should be returned to Merikka." Tyragorn pointed at the vestments. He hated to see items belonging the Goodly gods be desecrated like that.

She sighs then considers the vestiments and holy symbols, "So the goblins robbed a priest?" she pauses and looks at the number of them before correcting herself, "A couple priests?"

Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:47 am "I'd rather sleep outside with that old druid we heard about."[/color] Aldan confesses. And the city elf was no great lover of sleeping outdoors.
"Camping again?" Jessica whines, "But we just got to town. We've been camping for weeks! I want a room, a soft bed and some warm water-" She pauses, "Wait, master assassin? What master assassin? What are you talking about?"

OOC: It is now later afternoon/Early evening. And a perception check for everybody if we could, please.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan takes a moment to remind them of what he reported seeing in the Golden Grain. There was a lot going on and he could understand if a few things were lost.
Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:30 am Aldan

Aldan nods and turns to the others, under the vocal cover of a rambling goblin he draws close to his companions. "Oh, and while I have a moment, I should tell you that one of the occupants of the Golden Grain Inn was a psychopathic and highly skilled assassin, Derek Desleigh. He has a short fuse and no morality or hesitation when it comes to knifing you. I don't know what he was doing in a backwater town but I can only hope that whatever fae or doppelganger or 'snake god' whatever that has a grip on this town doesn't also have him. That would be... exceedingly bad for us." he says.
"Camping would not be my favorite either, Sister Bright. Maybe the other inn in town will be free of compromised folk and deadly assassins." he says, too caught up in his words to notice much of anything.
Perception: 1d20+4 6