IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:58 am Inside

"Ha, sounds like a real slave driver," Bertram chuckles, "Ah, well, if you feel like wasting your time... The customer is always right."

"Me? I'd just drink more brandy and say I've seen the rest," He wriggles his eyebrows and holds up the brandy bottle.
Georgia finishes her glass and holds it out for a refill. "A fair point friend. Although aren't there only about three taverns in town? So I won't have to make many stops after this one. Actually I think we passed one on our way in, all boarded up."
Arkrite wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:58 am "If you ask me?" He lowers his voice, "This place isn't much. There's very little to keep people around except friends and family. It's not like a big city where there is always new things happening. Some people get up one day and realize: This is it. No magic, or treasure, or adventures just... grain. As far as the eye can see."

"After that? Fear and paranoia. Some people just leave, other people wonder if something bad is happening, so they leave, which scares other people..." He waves his hand in the air making a loop, "It just keeps going."
Georgia gives a knowing nod. "I know the feeling, my family have been farm folk for generations but a lot of us leave home when the wanderlust strikes us. Most of us come back, because its always good to have a place to return to, but not all do. We have several branch families started by kin that settled elsewhere, but some just kept wandering. Without something to hold you to a place you can end up just drifting away, especially if there's a bad feeling in the air."
Arkrite

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Arkrite »

Inside
Shock wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:21 am Tyragorn shook his head slowly. Everyone in the town was so quick to assume the worst. "Please, you have nothing to fear from me. Ailla is my sister. I just want to find her."
Bertram just holds his hands out at his side in surrender, "I'm sorry friend, but I don't actually know anything about her. She wasn't a regular, and I never had much business with her husband. I just saw her on the streets occasionally, is all."

He stands there unsure of what else to say.
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 am Georgia finishes her glass and holds it out for a refill. "A fair point friend. Although aren't there only about three taverns in town? So I won't have to make many stops after this one. Actually I think we passed one on our way in, all boarded up."
"Yeah, not sure what happened there. One day they were here, next you know the door's boarded up and the owners are gone," Bertram says shaking his head, "But business hasn't been very good for a while now."
"Without something to hold you to a place you can end up just drifting away, especially if there's a bad feeling in the air."
Bertram nods, "Most of the farmers are happy enough but things were better when the merchants were coming through, and people are starting to feel the pinch."

Outside

It's hard to tell if the man saw you or not, though he looks fairly stiff compared to a few seconds ago..
But it becomes pretty clear a few seconds later when the boy looks over his shoulder gawking in your general direction. The older man drops a hand on boy's shoulder and propels him forward as the continue down the street.

And then, as the wind dies down, the tall grass two dozen feet behind you rustles softly.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

With the noise roughly 25 feet behind them Aldan does not spin to look, yet. The elf instead makes a small gesture, visualizing his desires. 28 feet behind them the spectral hand appears at ground level to sweep up a handful of dust and dirt. It quickly lifts the earthen distraction up and diagonally toward them letting the dirt sift through spectral fingers to hopefully fall on and cause their *watcher* to look behind and away.

Aldan spins to look at the rustler drawing his 'wand'. This operation may be blown (and seriously, how long DID it take to say 'my boss is going to have us inspect the old inn later'?) but perhaps their cover wasn't yet compromised.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn held up his hand disarmingly. "No apology necessary, friend." He finished his drink and pushed the mug away. He didn't think they were going to get any more from the bartender. "Your insights have been welcome."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Inside

"I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure she's fine," the bartender says, trying to be comforting, "We're in the middle of nowhere. Hardly anything more exciting than a cow tipping happens out this way."

Outside

You can hear the sand fall behind you and a sudden rustling in the grass behind you again.
OOC: A spot check if you decide to look back, please.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:57 pm Aldan

Aldan spins to look at the rustler drawing his 'wand'. This operation may be blown (and seriously, how long DID it take to say 'my boss is going to have us inspect the old inn later'?) but perhaps their cover wasn't yet compromised.
Perception: 1d20+4 21
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Given the current conversation, Tyragorn had multiple reasons to doubt that his sister was in fact in no danger. But arguing wouldn't make for good relations if they were going to make this their "home base."

"Georgia and Jessica, I think we should get moving. We'll want to be able to look at the other spots before it gets dark."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Inside

"Well good luck and hurry back," the man behind the bar says cheerfully, waving.

Around the room you get a few cold looks but are largely ignored as you go to leave.

Outside

From the grass behind you see a misshapen green head, bald with pointed ears, sticking up frantically looking for what had made the noise behind him. Even if you've never seen one before the overly large head and scrawny body fit the description of goblins to a T.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"You, Halt. Or I shall be forced to unleash my magics upon you."

"Halt." he repeats in Draconic with as much menace as he can put into a harsh slightly-above-a-whisper.

"Answer my questions and no harm shall befall you." He says in whatever language the Goblin responded to.
cha: 1d20+2 22 Nat 20!
If Intimidation 22, if Deception 26
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Georgia Fiddler

"Yeah, not sure what happened there. One day they were here, next you know the door's boarded up and the owners are gone," Bertram says shaking his head, "But business hasn't been very good for a while now."
Georgia gave a knowing nod. "Shame about that, seeing honest businesses shut down in hard times. Well the boss did have his eye on the empty building as we passed. I think he was considering buying it up cheap, maybe converting it into some sort of office or warehouse for the company. Might be tricky if the owners skipped town but folk from the big merchant companies usually know how to work around things to get what they want."
Shock wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:58 am Tyragorn

Given the current conversation, Tyragorn had multiple reasons to doubt that his sister was in fact in no danger. But arguing wouldn't make for good relations if they were going to make this their "home base."

"Georgia and Jessica, I think we should get moving. We'll want to be able to look at the other spots before it gets dark."
Georgia gives an overdramatic sigh, and finishes her drink and settles the tab. "If we must. Sorry friend Bertram but duty calls."
Arkrite wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:54 am Inside

"Well good luck and hurry back," the man behind the bar says cheerfully, waving.

Around the room you get a few cold looks but are largely ignored as you go to leave.
Georgia gives a cheerful wave of her own as they leave. "Next time I'll have to give a performance, see if I can lessen the angle of these frowns a bit."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

"All play and no work makes.. no wait, that's not right." Tyragorn shrugged. "I don't know how it goes when your work is playing."

"Anyway, I like your idea. Maybe you can get us a deal on our rooms." He continued out the door, leading the way for the trio.
Last edited by Shock on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Inside

"Hurry back," Bertram chuckles, "I need to see that miracle in action!"

The rest of the bar largely ignores you as you wander back outside just in time to hear a horrific scream coming from across the road.

Outside

The goblin's head whips back around, beady eyes locking on Aldan. His eyes widen, looking terrified as it draws a shiny dagger. But in spite of it's obvious fear it hurls itself forward. Charging towards Aldan it lets out a high pitched shriek.
OOC: Goblin fails it's will save vs Aldan's intimidate, but only enough to impose a bit of a negative to his next roll.

Init: Lone(?) goblin 14
And, to make matters worse the goblin has failed it's attempt to spot the Ranger.

The Inside crew has succeeded in hearing the disturbance, they'll be able to arrive on the second round of combat (if it lasts that long).
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
init: 1d20+4 12
Aldan was no expecting the goblin's reckless charge. He gives a little mage-ly squeek of surprise as the diminutive humanoid advances.
It's before Aldan. Hoping T-man can bail us/me out.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Objects of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)

The benefit of having two people doing the job Zasio and Aldan were doing was that they were better able to watch out for themselves, but as the goblin charged at Aldan the ranger, who had been keeping one eye on what was going on behind him, simply waited for the right moment to stand as he drew one of his short swords and swung the flat of the blade at the charging creature.

It was more about Zasio's timing in putting him and his weapon in between the goblin and Aldan than it was about Zasio swinging the sword.

OOC wrote:Initiative: Roll(1d20)+3: 20,+3 Total:23. I'll assume it is safe for me to go ahead & post Zasio's action ;~).

He'll attack the goblin, trying to stop him before he can get to Aldan.

Melee Attack: Roll(1d20)+5: 16,+5 Total:21.
Damage: Roll(1d6)+5: 6,+5 Total:11. Not wanting to do lethal damage, but hopefully do enough damage that we can "capture" the goblin to get more information.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Aldan, Zasio

Zasio appears as though from thin air, his blade placed perfectly into the path of the goblin. It impacted while still screaming, intent on attacking Aldan. Face first it slammed into the sword, it's head flying backwards while it's feet paddled wildly in the air as if to continue forward. The little green monster did a full back flip before crashing into the ground in a heap of tangled limbs. It's dagger skittered across the ground, coming to a stop a few steps from Aldan's feet.

You can hear the noise of movement coming from the stables as well as from the direction of the tavern.
OOC: That's enough to take the goblin clean out of the fight. Even if it had an extra hit dice. Everybody can arrive on the scene when they want to, this fight was over before it began.
Goblin is unconscious.