IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
stavaros_the_arcane

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:20 pm "Watch yourself, the first bottle is always free, but the next one-"

"Oh hush, woman!" The voice calls from inside, eliciting a couple of laughs from other people inside.

She smiles and shakes her head, "Name is Belba Cralloon. The man shilling-"

"Shilling!" an offended voice calls out, followed by a few more laughs.

"Shilling wine is Ollwin, my huband," She repeats cheekily before looking at the group, "We have openings, so we'd be able to fit you all, unless there are more coming, mister..?"
Georgia can't help but giggle at the banter between husband and wife. She liked these people already.
Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:52 pm Aldan

"Aldan, Aldan Tallymin, Mistress Cralloon. It's a pleasure to be greeted by such joviality in a time and locale where scowls and suspicion seem more the norm. Why, our own Tyragorn was nearly run off a farmstead, the first one, furthest East of town by that road to Hookhill, over a simple misunderstanding involving a berry." Aldan gestures to the armored warrior. "My other companions are Georgia Fiddler, who will, no doubt, earn a crate or two of your wine in barter for an evening of enchanting song, Jessica Bright a devout nun of Pelor, and the laconic Zasio, supreme tracker and guide."
Georgia gives a dramatic bow as Aldan introduces her. "Pleased ta meet ya, Ma'am."
Arkrite wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:12 pm "Ah, well, strangers are our bread and butter. We'd be a poor inn were we to chase off customers," She sets the broom to the side and dusts off her hands on her apron, "And don't you mind that lot. They were a sour bunch before everybody started walking around with thunderclouds over their heads."

She waves for you to follow her into the building.

The shutters have all been thrown open wide and sunlight streams into the common room. There are three round tables sitting towards the north side of the room with a long table with benches towards the south. The Northeast end of the building has stairs leading into the second floor. To the Southwest is the bar where a heavyset balding man with a big smile is currently cleaning glasses while chatting with a farmer seated at the bar.
There are another three people seated at a table, chatting and drinking.
Most of the people pause as you come in, but after a few beats they go back to their conversation, only shooting you the occasional glance.

"Ah, more customers, my dear?" Ollwin asks with a smile.

"Oh, now I'm your dear? A few moments ago I was just woman," She teases.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," He claims, feigning innocence.

The man at the bar snorts and covers a laugh by taking a quick drink.

"So what can we do for you, travelers?"
Georgia took in the room and began mentally comparing the Boozy Badger to the Golden Grain. What stuck out most to her was the clientele, unlike the other inn the people here were interacting with each other and looked to be enjoying themselves. It lacked the overpowering aura of dourness and distrust.

Even if they hadn't noticed that the Golden Grain employed dangerous criminals, Georgia would definitely find this establishment more appealing.
Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:01 pm Aldan

"Right now? A place to get cleaned up and maybe a small glass of this wine we've been hearing so much of. A place to put whatever stuff we don't need for a supper and a walk through a.... quaint town that we've been nonetheless set upon in by enemies. I, myself, wont be leaving much." He pats the wand in it's holster like it was more meaningful than a stick he found in the woods.

"We may as well get rooms now. Three adjoining. One for Georgia and Jessica. One for the two men-at-arms. And one for myself. Doable?"

"An actual bed for the night would be ab-so-tively delightful after our time on the road." The bard tittered with a smile. She gave Jessica a little nudge. "Ain't that right roomie?"
Arkrite

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Arkrite »

Ollwin considers Aldan's request, "Depends on how much you're looking to pay."

He lays out the pricing of the upstairs rooms for you.

On the North West corner is a room with three beds for 24 silver, to the east of that one room with two beds for 16 silver. These rooms have little more then beds and a single small table to hold a large bowl with which to clean up.
The final room on the north side of the building is a single feather bed with a desk and a table with three chairs for 2 gold.

Along the south side of the building are three rooms which contain two beds, a desk and a chair for 30 silver a room.

As Ollwin sets a mug of ale down in front of Tyragorn he says, "I can boil up a kettle of water if you'd like. Least so you can wash with something warmer than well water."

Jessica smiles to Georgia, "I think we ought to take the two rooms at the north west. It should cover our needs nicely."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan makes a show of pursing his lips and scowling slightly.

"The three-bed room and adjacent two-bed room will.... suffice." he says. (In truth, on the road, his companions know him to require little in the way of sleep, and remain near-fully alert besides - no doubt a combination of his elven blood and... overly-cautious nature.)

"I wanted to ask, there's a path that leads off into the woods west of here. What lies there?" Aldan inquires.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Oh many a terrible thing, goblins, hobgoblins, giant spiders," Ollwin says cheerfully, "Why I'd say I'm shocked any would come through that forest, except of course my wine always keeps them coming back for-"

"He means across the road, dear," Belba says absently as she wanders down the hall behind the bar to what must be the kitchen.

"I know what he meant, woman," Ollwin says defensively, then lowers his voice, "You did mean the forest a few days west, right?"

"I heard that!" comes Belba's cheerful voice from down the hall

"No you didn't!" Ollwin calls back, crossing his arms in a huff.

"Bah, nothing across the road there except that old hermit living in the elm grove," He says, picking up a glass and starting to wipe it down with a cloth, "I ought to chase that old man off, I ought."

"You've been saying that for ten years," Belba calls from the kitchen.

"And I ought to," Ollwin calls back, then to Aldan says, "Except he's got bad legs, and all, and he's old, and I wouldn't feel right about chasing off an old man with no where to go."

He sighs and shakes his head.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"Do you know his name? I have interest in speaking to the elders of your town." Aldan says hopefully.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Bah, old he is, but he isn't a town elder. Just some dust born traveler who never rightly left," Ollwin says shaking his head, "I know him to see him, but I don't rightly know his name. He's not the sort to chat."

"And I wonder why that is," Belba calls in a knowing tone.

Ollwin just smiles, "Oh, and do you know his name, my dear?"

There's a long pause with no response and Ollwin bursts out laughing.

"Oh hush, you," Belba's response comes, as she shuffles back into sight, "I'm afraid he hasn't really spoken to me either beyond a friendly hello or a wave."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 21 AC:18

Tyragorn stayed quiet while Aldan negotiated for the rooms. He didn't have much concern over the quality of the accommodations after many nights spent on the road. "A friendly loner on the outskirts of town is hardly a trouble, I would think. And if he's been there that long without trouble, I'd bet he's seen a thing or two."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

[How soon are we expected at the Mayor's house?]
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:06 pm As Ollwin sets a mug of ale down in front of Tyragorn he says, "I can boil up a kettle of water if you'd like. Least so you can wash with something warmer than well water."

Jessica smiles to Georgia, "I think we ought to take the two rooms at the north west. It should cover our needs nicely."
"That should do nicely, a proper wash would be heavenly." Georgia agreed.

She could probably get the couple to knock off some of the cost of their rooms by performing later.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Bah, easy to say when they're not camped out across from you business. Mark my words, we let this slide-"

"For ten years," Belba sing-songs

Ollwin ignores her and continues slightly louder, "We let this slide and suddenly we'll have people camped everywhere and nobody will come here anymore."

Belba just rolls her eyes, and smiles to Georgia, "I put on a couple kettles, it will only be a few moments."

"Ah," Ollwin straightens up and rubs his hands together a predatory smile on his face, "Well, if you have a few minutes, how would you like to try some wine? One glass on the house."

Belba smiles, "I'd say no, your coin purse will thank you later."

"Hush woman, I'm making a future sale," Ollwin says out of the corner of his mouth, his smile never leaving his face.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"I will certainly try this wine. I should ask though, the elves that are visiting this town, staying in the cottage by the mayor's house, have they been by and tried it?" Aldan asks. "I'm not saying it's likely to poison my kind but I've tended to notice a difference in palates and preferred flavors from feyborn to human."

Aldan was really just curious what the elves have been doing since they arrived and seeing if they'd visited this place would be a good starting point.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Belba perks up, "There are elves staying with the mayor?"

Ollwin shrugs, "Might as well be faeries for all we've seen of them. Never thought to come by."

He trundles off into the back as his wife takes up spot at the bar.

"I've heard that a few of the ladies have seen them coming and going, but they've been avoiding people. Most of us thought they were just telling tales," Belba says.

"Gossiping housewives," Ollwin says sagely as he returns with a dusty bottle.

Belba smacks him upside the head with the cleaning cloth then set out some wooden goblets on the bar. Ollwin pours a glass for Aldan then looks at the others, "Anybody else?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan takes a smell of the wine. Outwardly he seems as if he's enjoying the bouquet. Inwardly he's smelling if he can determine if it's laced with poison or alchemy. Having no great skill with either I'll assume a likelihood of not detecting anything.

"Please," he says indicating that the innkeeper should pour himself a drink from the bottle as well. "We should toast your health."

Assuming he pours himself a cup Aldan raises his cup.

"The human custom of 'clinking glasses' is an ancient one." he says, proferring his glass. If/when Ollwin does so as well Aldan continues, "I'm told that the proper clink is meant to mix the beverages." He pours a bit of his wine into the innkeeper's cup and indicates the man should do likewise. "It was a show of solidarity, a linking of fates; for if one cup were poisoned..." he again raises his cup "... both would feel the effects." Aldan puts the cup to his lips and waits for Ollwin to do the same, then tips the cup back simultaneously with the innkeeper.

The paranoid Aldan drinks little more than a sip but watches to see the size and swallow of the wine the man himself takes.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 21 AC:18

Tyragorn took a glass and poured it full of the wine. He watched disapprovingly as Aldan went through his performance. In contrast, he held the wine glass high and smiled broadly. "My thanks, Ollwin and Belba." Then he drained three quarters of the glass in a single gulp. "Normally I'm an ale drinker but this is pretty good."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Belba laughs so hard she nearly falls over, "It sounds like he heard about your cooking, dear."

Ollwin looks to the sky and mumbles a prayer to Merikka to give him strength as the rest of the bar starts laughing at the poor barman's expense.

He picks up Aldan's glass, pours a third of it into another two goblets then tops them up. Taking the one that he'd originally poured for Aldan for himself, he passes one of the others to his wife, and leaves one for Aldan. Belba doesn't drink, due to her trying to catch her breath, but Ollwin takes a nice long pull from the glass, letting in linger in his mouth before slowly swallowing the mixture.

With a pleased look on his face he raises his goblet to Tyragorn and sets it down, "Let it never be said that any man was poisoned in the Boozy Badger."

"Which is why Ollwin isn't allowed to cook anymore," The man at the bar snickers, setting off another chorus of laughter from everybody in the bar, including Belba who nearly spills her drink.

"One time! I burnt the food one time!" Ollwin mutters in a long suffering tone, looking to Tyragorn for sympathy.
OOC: Anybody who drinks can give me a 1d20. If you roll above DC16...
you may have actually had a wine that's tasted better than the one in front of you. Anything below, and this is probably the best wine you've ever tasted.
As this is subjective it's up to the player's own choice if this is true or not, but it's hard to argue that it's not a high quality wine either way.