IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan shakes his head in a sad negative. "It's not that."

"Look, my mother is a druid. Some days it felt like she cared about plants more than m.... many people." he stutters over the words. "Did you see that garden? Did you see the neglect, Sister Bright? Tell me, the local deity is a farming goddess, right? 'Care for thy plants' is probably a commandment and they had at least a season's worth of neglect in that garden."

"Now, if that family was new to that property.... if they just used the recent troubles to move into a better house - the exact piece of information I was trying to get before Sir Assaults-With-Fruit did his thing." Aldan glances back and frowns again. "Or if they'd had a falling out with their goddess, then that would explain it, but it doesn't feel like that."

"See what I'm saying?"
"Something pithy this way comes."
Plan b

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Plan b »

Jessica Bright

"Astute observation, although missing the point. There is alot of empty buildings for a village this size, suggests to me people have been leaving already. I think we should exhaust the mundane, before chasing bodysnatchers, dopplegangers, fairies or whatever fantastical conspiracy." Jessica retorted

"And Merikka is goddess of calendar. She's as much a law goddess as farming one."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"I grew up in an elven community on histories of the fantastic and witnessing feats of incredible magic. Fey shenanigans are mundane. Body snatching is a thing. And small magic sphere shapes thrown at people can sprout into devastating balls of fire." That last was directed in a paladinly direction.

It should be noted that I was always planning to have Aldan find some 'reason' to suspect almost everyone they encounter of being dopplegangers or changelings. The garden thing does actually make sense in this case though the more I thought about it. Wasn't expecting that.
:) ]

[What's nearby our path if we're heading to the bridge?]
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

As you move into the crossroads you can see the bridge ahead without any issue.

As you get closer to the carpenter's shop you can see the wares in his shop that have been set out for people to view. The craftsmanship is actually fairly impressive to any who pause to admire the work. That being said the table the Carpenter is working on must be in the early stages as it's in a rather rough state.

It's also possible to see the Blacksmith's workshop from here. A huge muscular man with red hair can be seen, working with a slow mechanical precision, and an incredible amount of force.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

[Is the blacksmith's the big building, I guess... to our right? EDIT: I was asking about #16 on the map.]
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

GEORGIA FIDDLER

Plan b wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am Jessica Bright

"They are just scared." Jessica said bluntly "Just scared, people, Aldan. If it's just of us, we'll find out"
"From all the stories and advice I listened to before leaving home, I've found that magic and strangers tend to be easy to distrust when things get hard or scary. My family has gotten its share of nasty glares and suspicious looks any time there's a bad harvest season or a sickness going around. In hard times a lot of folk tend to act one of two ways." Georgia noted. "They either reach out to help each other, or they buckle down to protect their own to the exclusion of all else."
Arkrite wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 am As you move into the crossroads you can see the bridge ahead without any issue.

As you get closer to the carpenter's shop you can see the wares in his shop that have been set out for people to view. The craftsmanship is actually fairly impressive to any who pause to admire the work. That being said the table the Carpenter is working on must be in the early stages as it's in a rather rough state.

It's also possible to see the Blacksmith's workshop from here. A huge muscular man with red hair can be seen, working with a slow mechanical precision, and an incredible amount of force.
Georgia wanders over to inspect the wares on display at the carpenter's shop. "Ooh, this is mighty fine workmanship."

(What sort of stuff is on display?)
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The furniture on display is all incredibly well made. The items run the gamut from very basic chairs and tables, a couple cabinets, a wardrobe with a burnished bronze mirror mounted on it, with two spots of honor being held by a beautifully made rocking chair with cushions tied into place on the seat, back and arms, with the final piece being an extremely well made desk which has an intricate carvings and a coating of clear amber lacquer protecting it.

The carpenter looks up from the new table he's working on, which currently appears to be a little lopsided. He blinks slowly and gives Georgia a thousand yard stare, "Huh?"
OOC: #16 was the two storied building that has had all of it's windows and doors boarded shut.
#15 is the Blacksmith's workshop/home.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aleah is curious about such a large building being boarded up. He’ll walk around trying to find identification.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 13

Tyragorn followed after quietly, frustrated with the first encounter in Orlane. Was it really evidence of evil or were the people just not trusting?
stavaros_the_arcane

Georgia Fiddler
Arkrite wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:00 am The furniture on display is all incredibly well made. The items run the gamut from very basic chairs and tables, a couple cabinets, a wardrobe with a burnished bronze mirror mounted on it, with two spots of honor being held by a beautifully made rocking chair with cushions tied into place on the seat, back and arms, with the final piece being an extremely well made desk which has an intricate carvings and a coating of clear amber lacquer protecting it.

The carpenter looks up from the new table he's working on, which currently appears to be a little lopsided. He blinks slowly and gives Georgia a thousand yard stare, "Huh?"
OOC: #16 was the two storied building that has had all of it's windows and doors boarded shut.
#15 is the Blacksmith's workshop/home.
"Oh hello, just admiring the work on these pieces." Georgia replies cheerfully, as she admires the Rocking chair. "Hoo-wee, I think Granny would even give up her old rocker for something like this. Shame its too big and almost certainly outta my price range for right now, but I definitely gotta remember this place." She begins looking at some of the smaller items, paying particular attention to stools and small chairs trying to see if there were any folding seats available and light enough for travel. Being able to sit and play her music anywhere while traveling was a convenience that would more than pay for itself in the long run for a bard like her.

"These are all beautiful works but I was wondering if you happen to have any folding chairs or stools?" Georgia said, studying the Carpenter.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Georgia Fiddler

The old man responds after a few seconds, his brows furrowing in concentration then finally as if only just remembering he points off to one corner of the shop.
Here you can find some short three legged stools, a few small chairs built in an X style with a canvas sheet sown to the top to create the seat, and even a couple tripod like structures with a heavily sown canvas or leather seat that can be set on top of it.
They all seem well built if somewhat plain in comparison to other examples of his work, but they also seem to be the most numerous examples of his work in the location at the same time.

Aldan

The blacksmith seems to bristle when you come onto the road the faces both his building and the boarded up building sitting across the street, but he seems content to scowl and turn his back to any who come that way. The hammering picks up in sheer powerful intensity, though the rhythmic beat never changes.

From the front of the abandoned building it's easy to see it had been a business at one point, but even the front door is now boarded up. Near the doorway a wooden sign can be seen laying flat on the ground, and any who make an effort to go up onto the front steps of the building can turn it over to find a picture of a tankard overflowing with foam. In common in block letters "Foaming Mug Inn" is written
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:01 am Georgia Fiddler

The old man responds after a few seconds, his brows furrowing in concentration then finally as if only just remembering he points off to one corner of the shop.
Here you can find some short three legged stools, a few small chairs built in an X style with a canvas sheet sown to the top to create the seat, and even a couple tripod like structures with a heavily sown canvas or leather seat that can be set on top of it.
They all seem well built if somewhat plain in comparison to other examples of his work, but they also seem to be the most numerous examples of his work in the location at the same time.
Georgia gives a delighted little clap. Just what she was looking for.
She sorts through the selection there until she finds one in her price range that is comfortable and matches her aesthetic. "I'll take this one."

(OOC I know there isn't a cost for something like this in the PHP or DMG as far as I can tell, so does 2-3 gp sound about right price wise?)

As she pays for her purchase Georgia takes a moment to closely study the Carpenter, the man's sluggish and confused manner suggesting that whatever was happening to the folk of the village, he was one of the ones affected. She checked his throat for fang marks like that one rumor said, as well as the rest of him for any other signs of what might be wrong with the man.

OOC: investigation check 1d20+3: 7 [1d20=4]
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan nods at the sign. He won't do anything but look while in full view of the Blacksmith. He verifies he has line of sight to the others before stepping closer to the Blacksmith (to about the middle of the 'road').

"My Good Man, do you know where the owner of this establishment might be?" Aldan asks with raised voice.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Georgia Fiddler

Taking a quick look around the shop you can see that it's starting to see a bit of neglect, with the tools and shavings starting to build up around the work area while the rest of the shop seems to be cleaner, though showing signs of gathering dust.
Getting in closer nets you a good look at the table he's working on and even without an in depth knowledge in woodworking it's easy to see that this new table is poorly put together mess. One of the legs is too short, some of the planks are longer than others, a couple taper where they should have been straight. At best with a lot of time and effort somebody might be able to sand the works down, but you suspect they'd be better off starting again.

The man himself seems a little slow mentally, but otherwise healthy. In an older man you might assume he was getting addled in his old age, but he's middle aged if anything. A good look at his neck reveals nothing but sweat and sawdust, no signs of bite-marks, bruises, rashes or any other out of the ordinary.

"Uh, Fourteen? Yes, fourteen copper for the chair," He says, smearing sawdust on his forehead as he absently rubs his forehead with his hand.

Aldan

The huge man flinches at your question and you see the hammer suddenly stop as the man flexes his bulging arms.

"Do I look like your servant? Piss off!" He snaps, refusing to turn around to face you, lifting the hammer up again to start working again.
OOC: Aldan (and anybody who's followed him) please give me an insight check.
Tyragorn will recognize the voice as being his sister's husband if he's in the area.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan
insight: 1d20+4 7
Aldan, probably unaware of any danger, and still 'in character', steps forward a bit more.

"I only wish to offer a lucrative business opportunity. Imagine shoeing horses for trains of trade caravans. It could set you business up nicely."