Davies

[OOC] To Live ... (Recruitment Closed)

Post by Davies »

All men are possible heroes; every age,
Heroic in proportions, double-faced,
Looks backward and before, expects a morn
And claims an epos.

Ay, but every age
Appears to souls who live in it (ask Carlyle)
Most unheroic. Ours, for instance, ours!

From Aurora Leigh Book 5, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

In the 2060s, during a time of unprecedented chaos and destruction, you fought. Perhaps you fought to save lives. Perhaps you fought for a cause. Perhaps you fought for the thrill of fighting. Perhaps you just fought because the alternative was to die. Regardless of your motivations, you were heroes, one and all.

And, one and all, you died.

Now, a thousand and more years later, you find yourselves reborn in a world very different from that in which you began -- a paradise of sorts. What will you do with your lives, now that you have them back? Now that you don't have to fight anymore, what will take the place of fighting for you? And is this world really what it seems to be, or should you walk away from its promises?

Looking for 3-4 characters. Please be advised that the GM is a two-time flake.

Character Details
* PL10, 150 points
* The characters' original setting is somewhere between Batman Beyond and Marvel 2099 -- cyberpunk-ish, but still with the full array of super-power origins.
* This is a future of the Freedom City setting, but the modern era of Freedom is two generations in the past of these characters.
* Don't bother describing how you died or your arrival in the new setting; both of those will be part of the game.

House Rules
* Defensive Roll is not a leveled advantage; it grants +2 to Toughness resistance except when defenseless or vulnerable, still limited by PL.
* Impervious: Any effect that would be resisted by Toughness with a resistance modifier equal to half or less than a character's Impervious Toughness rank is ignored by that character. Any effect that would be resisted by Fortitude or Will with a resistance modifer equal to or less than a character's Impervious Fortitude or Will rank is ignored by that character.
* Immunity (Toughness) costs 60 points.
* Immortality is not available.
* Movement (Dimension Travel), Movement (Space Travel), and Movement (Time Travel) are not available.
Last edited by Davies on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
CaptainChaos

Re: [OOC] To Live Will Be An Awfully Big Adventure (Recruiting 3-4)

Post by CaptainChaos »

What edition. 2nd or 3rd? Is regenrration/fast healing allowed? Are there any powers that are disallowed?
Davies

Post by Davies »

CaptainChaos wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:14 pm What edition. 2nd or 3rd? Is regenrration/fast healing allowed? Are there any powers that are disallowed?
3rd edition. Regeneration is allowed. Powers that are disallowed are in the OP.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Freebird

Marcus Siemmens

High Concept:
Acoustical and Vibrational genius caught up in trying to make the world a better place but really just wants to play his guitar.

Personality:
Marcus is generally as laid back as they come. He only got involved in the Freedom Movement because the world was a horrible place. He still prefers non-violent means whenever possible. He has an array of personal gadgets he deemed too powerful for even the Resistance to use responsibly.

Marcus Siemmens is gifted but unambitious and lazy. He never aspired to be anything but a good musician. Unfortunately the world Marcus was born into needed soldiers and weaponsmiths. With much reluctance but spurred on by the amount of devastation around him, Marcus turned his (mostly unused) intellect, and intuitive understanding of sound and vibrations to the creation of implements of war. He had a predilection for creating non-lethal weapons to arm his side but toward the end even he had to admit the escalation of conflict was too severe. Modifying a prototype stealth suit (not his invention but really handy), he took to the field with some of his experimental gadgets to try to make a difference all the while lamenting that he couldn't just be home, strumming his guitar...

Complications:
Lazy
Doesn't really want to hurt anyone
Recreational drug use whenever possible

str 0
dex 2
agi 0
sta 3
fgt 0
awe 4
int 5
pre 2

defenses
Toughness 6 - 20(14Impervious)

Parry 14-0
Dodge 14-0
{With a dial, Marcus can shift toughness up while simultaneously lowering Parry and Dodge. <Never Exceeds PL>}

Fort 3+7pp = 10
Will 4+6pp = 10

skills: Technology 8(+13), Expertise: guitar 6(+8), Perception 6(+10) , Insight 2(+6), Persuasion 4(+6), Vehicle 6(+8), Ranged - stratocaster 8(+10)

advantages: Improved initiative 2, Inventor, Eidetic Memory, Evasion 2, Inspire 3, Luck (For Inspiring Only)

powers

Good Hearing; Senses - Hearing gains Analytical, Extended, Ultrahearing [3pp]

devices

Awesome Suit (Hard to remove) [15-3 = 12]
Protection 3
Immunity: Environment(Heat, Cold, Radiation, High Pressure), [Half effect],
Equipment 1: Commlink, night vision goggles, rebreather, Video recorder
Concealment, Passive [All sight, All sound]
Senses: Hearing Extended, Accurate

Stratocaster (Easy to lose) (base 40 [45-18 = 27]
Harmonic Divergence; Weaken Toughness, Affects Objects Also, Ranged, Secondary effect Pr10
AE: Brown Note; Affliction, Area-Cone, Cumulative (Resist/Overcome by Fort, impaired and Vulnerable and Hindered, Disabled and Defenseless and Prone) Extra Condition 2, Limited Degree pr 10
AE: Cacophony; Affliction pr10 (resist by Fort, Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Progressive, Area-Cone
AE: Black Note; Damage Pr10, Area-Line, Penetrating 10, Secondary Effect
AE: Wave Reattunement; Deflect pr10, Reflect, Redirect, Extended Range 1, Subtle 2,
AE: Solid Sound; Create pr 10, Impervious, Duration - Concentration, Moveable, Selective

Hum-V (Hard to lose) [10-2 = 8]
Flight, Platform 7, Subtle, Aquatic, Enhanced Advantage- Move-by Action
{This Board uses Directional Soundwaves to push off from the Earth and fly at decent speeds if and when he's knocked off he can push a button to call the board back to him (hard to lose)}

Cancellation Headphones (Hard to Lose) [31-6 = 25]
Protection (Impervious), Dynamic 14
DAE: Enhanced Dodge linked Enhanced Parry pr 14
{Marcus took the concept of noise cancellation headphones and applied it to all vibrations in a small area around himself alternatively deflection incoming attacks or turning aside blows altogether.}

attacks:
init +8
Unarmed 0 to hit DC15
Weaken Toughness, +10 to hit, DC20 Fort or Toughness(if object), secondary effect
Affliction, Area-Cone (impaired and Vulnerable and Hindered, Disabled and Defenseless and Prone) DC20 Dodge then DC 20 or 15 Fort, Cumulative
Affliction, Area-Cone (Daze,Stun,Incapacitated), DC20 Dodge then DC 20 or 15 Fort, Progressive
Damage, Area-Line DC20 Dodge then DC25 or 20 Toughness
Deflect, Ready action, oppose all nearby attacks with 1d20+10(add 10 if <11), redirect +10 to hit, Subtle 2
Create Drop, +10 to hit DC25 Toughness, Movable, Concentration duration, Selectively Permeable

Attributes 32 + Defenses 13 + Skills 20 + Advantages 10 + Powers 75= 150

EDIT 1,2: spelling mistakes/spacing errors
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Davies

Post by Davies »

GREAT character!
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Davies wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:25 pmGREAT character!
Thanks! This is an awesome game concept.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I think I have something that could fit this setting. I'll dig about after work.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I'm interested, but I don't have any new ideas off the top of my head, and I don't know if any of my old character submissions would really fit in... I'll see what I can come up with!
Davies

Post by Davies »

No rush, this is not first come first served. I will pick the 3 or 4 most appropriate characters out of all those submitted by next Monday.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

^_^ So far, Pratfall's luck hasn't been great for games sticking around, but I'm willing to give him another go.

Pratfall - PL 10

Strength 4, Stamina 7, Agility 3, Dexterity 5, Fighting 10, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 6

Advantages
Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll, Fascinate (Expertise: Clowning), Improvised Weapon 4, Power Attack, Redirect, Set-up, Skill Mastery: Deception, Takedown, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 7 (+10), Athletics 3 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed / Improvised Weapons 2 (+12), Deception 10 (+16), Expertise (PRE): Clowning 6 (+12), Insight 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 3 (+8), Stealth 5 (+8)

Powers
Forget Gravity / Air Walk: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Subtle: subtle; Quirk: prone condition causes you to fall)
. . Comedic Scramble: Speed 2 (AE, Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
Slapstick (Insidious, Subtle, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Improvised weapons / Unarmed) - Basically, it's the cartoon effect that the target may not realize they've been attacked and, even if they do realize it, they may not think it did anything. Mechanically, it's a DC 20 Perception or appropriate Detect for each.
Slapstick Array
. . Laughing Gas Lapel Flower: Affliction 8 (1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, Resisted by: Will, DC 19; Accurate: +2, Contagious, Insidious; Limited Degree, Reach (+5 feet))
. . Banana Peel
. . . . Trip: Affliction 9 (Linked; 1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Prone, DC 19; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Triggered: 1 use - Step in vicinity of banana peel; Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
. . . . ... and Fall: Damage 9 (Linked; DC 24; Insidious, Triggered: 1 use - Step in vicinity of banana peel; Resistible: Acrobatics (including untrained))
. . Honking Big Mallet: Strength-based Damage 6 (DC 25; Dangerous 2, Insidious, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.)
. . Mimed Objects: Create 10 (Flawed: Touch Range, Subtle 2, Quirk: Always Invisible/No Concealment)
Feature 2 (Props, Dimensional Pocket): Pratfall can produce various props from his pockets at will, noisemakers and sight gags, at GM discretion. He can also store up to Mass Rank 1 in miscellaneous objects in his pockets and retrieve them at will from said pockets or from another location with a successful Sleight of Hand

Offense
Initiative +3
Laughing Gas Lapel Flower: Affliction 8, +12 (DC Will 18)
Grab, +10 (DC Spec 14)
Honking Big Mallet: Strength-based Damage 6, +10 (DC 25, 18-20 crit range)
Throw, +5 (DC 19)
Trip: Affliction 9, +10 (DC Dodge 19)
... and Fall: Damage 9, +10 (DC Acr/Tou 24)
Improvised Weapon, +12 (DC 22)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 19)

Languages
English (Native)

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 10, Fortitude 12, Toughness 9/7, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 74 + Powers 23 + Advantages 13 + Skills 24 (48 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 150

Background
Paul Stubbs was your everyday wage slave with a wife and son until the fateful day of his son's 8th birthday party. His son loved clowns. A clown was arranged to appear at the birthday party. Said clown called at the last minute and said they couldn't make it. Paul remembered that, up in the attic, there was an old-fashioned clown outfit which he was fairly certain he'd inherited from one grandparent or the other, so he quickly went up and changed into it. That was the last day that Paul got to enjoy humanity. After the birthday, he reached up to pull off the nose... and found that it wouldn't budge. He didn't panic, at least not immediately, but he quickly learned that none of it came off. He was no longer wearing a costume. That was his skin. That was his hair. That was his nose. Even surgical intervention failed; when the round parts of the nose were sliced off, they healed almost as fast as the doctor could cut. His makeup and costume seem to be part of him and he's found the ability to pull items out of thin air. Moreover, something about his nature clouds the reactions of others. He can break a chair over a man's head and, unless people are looking closely, they don't even realize an attack was performed. Rather, it looks and feels like a harmless breakaway gag.

While not the sort who was called to go toe-to-toe against a foe like Omega, Pratfall managed to be a fairly successful hero, at least on a street level, and he's pretty dang good at being distracting, getting villains to focus on him while another hero took their shot. The most illuminating thing that he learned in his time as a hero was the source of his powers. The clown suit that he had grabbed was an artifact of sorts, the garb of a devotee to Thalia, Muse of Comedy. Obviously, it's not traditional Greek garb, but that was part of the nature of the artifact, to fit in with its times, and it was both a blessing and a curse, with membership in the ranks of the priesthood not being revocable, something which it's believed Melpomene had a hand in.

Complications
  • Relationship (wife and son) — Paul had a wife and a son in college when he fell. He wonders now if perhaps they exist in this new world, as he apparently does.
  • Prejudice (Clown) — Some people just really don't like clowns, and few people take them seriously. Since Paul can't change back anymore, he has little choice but to deal with how people react to his appearance.
  • Obsession (Clowning) — Whether it's the some aspect of the empowering event, a method of coping, or simply hidden depths, Paul is constantly cracking jokes and attempting gags. It can really wear on a person around him.
  • Power Loss — Paul's powers sometimes desert him, particularly when he performs actions without a punchline. Maybe it's psychological, maybe it's Thalia deciding he's currently unworthy.
Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Thu May 16, 2019 2:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Pratfall is an interesting character, but his background is a little off for this campaign -- the Silver Storm was roughly half a century in the past. If you wanted to establish that there was a second Silver Storm (or many of them!), that would be okay, but I'd need to know more about it than just "it happened".
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Davies wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:13 am Pratfall is an interesting character, but his background is a little off for this campaign -- the Silver Storm was roughly half a century in the past. If you wanted to establish that there was a second Silver Storm (or many of them!), that would be okay, but I'd need to know more about it than just "it happened".
Ah. I forgot I had that in there from the last time I built him. Originally, his powers were demonic in nature (I'd recently watched Clown). I've previously built him with Magic as his descriptor, although I could also see a Divine descriptor if he were empowered by a being in such a pantheon. Using Magic would probably be the best bet. I could readily enough write an origin story for him that way, having lucked into magic facepaint/costume, and bringing back the prior setup that he quickly found that it didn't come off the next day, or any days after that, making things a bit strained with his wife and kid.
Thokk_Smash

Post by Thokk_Smash »

Question: your house-ruled Impervious doesn't seem to be any different from the normal rules for Impervious in 3e: Impervious ignores effects of up to half of its ranks. Am I misreading your house-rule?
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

So, here's a silly idea that Freebird gave me. Marcus is a super-science inventor with an acoustic theme, and he's supplying sonic technology to a Resistance. Which means that, whoever the Resistance is Resisting, they need soldiers capable of fighting people armed with Freebird's technology. Soldiers who can detect targets without sight or sound, force their way through sonic barriers, and resist unconventional super-science weaponry. And then, since I had an enforcer in a dystopia, I took some parts from my old enforcer from Anti-Earth who I never got to use as much as I would have liked. So!

PEACEKEEPER

Genevieve Kazan

High concept:
Stormtrooper trying to keep a bad situation from getting any worse.

Genevieve would either be penniless, dead, or in a metahuman jail somewhere if the Authority hadn't decided that her combination of perceptiveness and resilience made her useful to them, and they always make sure she knows it. She knows they aren't nice people, too, but you don't find many nice people in any sort of power these days. They're better than complete anarchy, and she tries to do her job in the way that hurts the fewest number of people for the shortest amount of time. On the surface, Genevieve's faith in the Authority is unquestionable: she's always smiling, always loyal to her superiors (until that becomes inconvenient), and always reassuring the ordinary people that the war is almost over and everything is just fine! On the inside, she's very, very tired.

Her most unusual ability is a "radar sense" that lets her perceive shapes and solid objects without light, useful for fighting against smoke screens, holograms, and cloaking devices. She's also very good at causing mass destruction, able to create powerful shockwaves just by hitting the ground or even clapping her hands together, or tear her way through solid steel.

When she's making public statements or on assignments for the Authority, Peacekeeper wears a smart dress uniform, her hair is perfect, and her smile is dazzling. Off-duty, in unwashed clothes, with messy hair and a defeated look on her face, she's almost unrecognizable.

Abilities:
Strength 11, Stamina 12, Dexterity 0, Agility 1, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 8, Presence 2 * 80 points

Advantages:
Attractive 2, Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Taunt * 8 points

Skills:
Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+9), Deception 13 (+15), Expertise (PRE): Public Relations 4 (+6), Perception 6 (+14), Persuasion 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Throwing 8 (+8) * 18 points

Powers:
Applied strength - 10 point array, 5 effects * 14 points
Bombshell - Cone Area on Strength damage 10
Crushing Grip - Affliction 10 (Fortitude resists, Cumulative, Grab-Based; impaired, disabled, incapacitated) linked to Strength damage
Pounce - Leaping 10
Shatterwave - Line Area 2 on Strength damage 10, Limited: Genevieve and her target must be in contact with the same surface
Unstoppable - Penetrating Burrowing 5

Radar Sense - Senses 5 (Accurate, radius, ranged radio) * 5 points

Superhuman endurance - Impervious Fortitude 12, Immunity 2 (critical hits), Regeneration 2 * 16 points

Offense:
Initiative +1
Unarmed +9, DC 26 toughness and DC 21 strength or dodge to avoid grab
Bombshell or Shatterwave, DC 20 dodge and DC 25 or 20 toughness
Crushing Grip, DC 26 toughness and DC 20 fortitude
Thrown Object +8, Damage variable

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Toughness 12, Fortitude 12, Will 8

Abilities 80 + Advantages 8 + Skills 18 + Powers 35 + Defense 9 = 150 points

Complications:
Guilt
Helplessness (part of this is a defense mechanism: the less control over her own life she has, the less she has to think about the choices she's made)
Motivation: Duty

I'm not sure who the Authority would be in this time. Shadow? The Labyrinth? AEGIS? Somebody who provides order if not justice.
Last edited by RainOnTheSun on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thokk_Smash wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:03 am Question: your house-ruled Impervious doesn't seem to be any different from the normal rules for Impervious in 3e: Impervious ignores effects of up to half of its ranks. Am I misreading your house-rule?
It works the same for Toughness; for Fortitude and Will, it's the full rank.