[OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator

Post by Supernaturalist »

mrdent12 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:01 am This is all of our pcs first combat with powers, so there's bound to be a learning curve. Like I am realizing against multiple minions Diego has some issues, so should have invested in Takedown.
Yeah, I have an AoE attack centered on my self, but I can't use it because it's not selective and Jacob could be hit.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

How far is Diego from the outer perimeter and where did he manage to get to? Specifcally, this is in the context of what is around him that could divert some attention from the other two.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Diego is on the roof of a flower shop. He is about three hundred feet from Iona and Peter. One hundred feet from the perimeter. If you want to actually search for things, you need to use a Standard Action and make a Perception or Investigate check. He doesn't see any fire starters that would be quick, like a lighter. There are trash cans or dumpsters in the alleys that he has seen. There are cars parked on the street or in parking lots.

If you take on a temporary Complication, which I will spring on you when I feel it inconvenient to do so, I'll give you a setup for something explosive that won't take much time.
Supernaturalist wrote:Ok, I still failed the Toughness check, but by only one degree. So I’m at -1 to future Toughness Checks. A DC of 26? Those must be some big bullets!
That is -1 to all forms of Damage Effects.

As for the DC 26 ... Stronghold has access to Hadron-tech (post modern) and Imperator-tech (might as well be magic). Diego is aware that this group is equipped with man portable railguns, which can pulverize tanks. Iona was also hit by a lot of projectiles, very accurately.
Supernaturalist wrote:Is there anyway that Iona could use her sense of metals to determine if there is reinforced concrete below her in any kind of pattern that would indicate a tunnel, sewer, or passageway nearby?
Iona's Detect is Accurate (she can determine the location) not Acute (details such as size and shape). Her Magnetic Sense doesn't have Penetrates Concealment. She needs that to perceive things beyond barriers, like concrete.

You may spend a Standard Action and roll Perception to feel around for or sources of magnetic materials in the area, though as mentioned, because her Sense is not Acute, she'll know it is there but not any details about the magnetic material. For example, the cars around her are just magnetic blobs to her Detect. She couldn't tell they were cars if her eyes were closed.

There is an obvious manhole cover in the middle of the street outside the parking lot though. Bear in mind, underground tunnels or passages would be very risky right now given what is going on in the sewers. Heading out into the middle of the road would leave you very exposed too. Stronghold forces will be able to engage you this round to a limited degree and next round to a more efficient degree..
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Sakuro,

I have a question about Damage Effects: You said that I have a -1 modifier against all future Damage effects (as opposed to Toughness checks). When would you ever use anything other than Toughness for a Damage check?

Also, thanks for clarifying the metallic Sense. For some reason I keep forgetting that it's not Acute. Since that is the case, Iona will not try to look for any form of at tunnel. Although Iona WILL pressure Peter to make some sort of subterranean escape route as staying on the surface is getting way too dangerous.

Finally, I'll use my Standard action to flip a car over on it's side and move it to block the alleyway that Peter came through. I did not mention the detail of flipping it over on it's side in my IC post. Is it ok to mention it here or do you want me to add it there?
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Supernaturalist wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:25 am Sakuro,

I have a question about Damage Effects: You said that I have a -1 modifier against all future Damage effects (as opposed to Toughness checks). When would you ever use anything other than Toughness for a Damage check?
Because the Alternate Resistance modifiers exists, meaning some attacks are opposed by Fortitude or Will. Poisons, psychic attacks, etc.
Supernaturalist wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:25 amFinally, I'll use my Standard action to flip a car over on it's side and move it to block the alleyway that Peter came through. I did not mention the detail of flipping it over on it's side in my IC post. Is it ok to mention it here or do you want me to add it there?
I would argue you should focus on blocking the Stronghold transport coming our way...
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Supernaturalist wrote: Sakuro,

EnigmaticOne wrote: Because the Alternate Resistance modifiers exists, meaning some attacks are opposed by Fortitude or Will. Poisons, psychic attacks, etc.
EnigmaticOne is correct about the Alternate Resistance modifier/Extra. In 3e Damage, regardless of resistance used, is cumulative. Representing a wearing down of a person's overall defenses. So you can hit someone with a psychic blast, and they'll be more vulnerable to a punch.
Supernaturalist wrote:I'll use my Standard action to flip a car over on it's side and move it to block the alleyway that Peter came through. I did not mention the detail of flipping it over on it's side in my IC post. Is it ok to mention it here or do you want me to add it there?
As for flipping the car, you do allude to it in your post, though OOC. I would ask that Iona be described as doing so for her action so it is clear that with what you are using your Standard Action on. Since you also talk about using your turn to search for subterraining tunnels.
EnigmaticOne wrote:I would argue you should focus on blocking the Stronghold transport coming our way...
Peter should suggest that in character.
Supernaturalist

Ok, I edited my previous post quite a bit. Attempting to block the alley with a truck will be my Standard Action. Let me know if I need to change anything.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

An explosion is predictable, but would divert some attention from Iona and Peter hopefully giving them a way out which is the whole point. So, I'll take the temporary complication. This week has been brutal on me, so will likely not be in a good state of mind to get a IC post up tonight.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Supernaturalist wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:46 am Ok, I edited my previous post quite a bit. Attempting to block the alley with a truck will be my Standard Action. Let me know if I need to change anything.
I don't see how you've changed anything. I thought you were going to block the transport instead.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

MrDent wrote:An explosion is predictable, but would divert some attention from Iona and Peter hopefully giving them a way out which is the whole point. So, I'll take the temporary complication.
Because you had a well on your Expertise Military roll ...

Depending where Diego places the explosion, it might well not pull Stronghold's attention away. In fact, unless you place the explosion behind them, or in in their path, it will be hard to pull their attention away from the bullet resistant woman who is flinging vehicles around and electrocuting people or Peter who is crushing people with manifested objects. They'll be coming into contact soon. Bypassing these two threats would put Iona and Peter at their backs. A bad move tactically.

If the explosion is near the police perimeter the diversion is most likely going to be effective at keeping the police occupied and out of the conflict. Which is good, because you could be sandwiched between Stronghold and a larger fighting force of police with shotguns or rifles (now that they see high threat on scene) rather than pistols. It may also end up creating a short term gap in the perimeter. You'd have to be fast to exploit it though.

With that stated, I will PM you what your Complication gets you.

Concerning Iona blocking the alleyway instead of the road, if Iona is set on her action Peter can always try to do something to hinder the armored personnel carrier. His actions haven't been declared for this round.
Supernaturalist

Ok, I got confused. I didn't realize there was another entrance way into the parking area. So the alley is the police. and the separate road is the armored vehicle. Before I commit to blocking either the alley or the road, can Iona assess the relative effectiveness of placing a truck in the road? For example, if the vehicle is tracked (like a tank), it could probably drive over the truck. I the armored vehicle is a lot bigger than the truck, then it could simply plow its way through it. I'd hate to plop the truck down in the road only to have the armored vehicle move through it like its nothing.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I wasn't thinking Diego could pull Stronghold off at this point. Makes sense a fire or minor explosion wouldn't distract them from people with powers. For the distraction, it was more like the second case you describe for what I had in mind. Set off a fire/minor explosion near the perimeter cops so they would be distracted as well meaning the interior cops would be occupied with a creature sighting and perimeter a terrorist making a gap for the others to get through.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The APC looks somewhat like this: Image.

It is bigger than a pickup truck or SUV. Maybe as big as two or three good sized SUVs. It is heavily armored, has a big machine gun on top, and looks like it could carry a bunch of people. Iona doesn't have any experience with or knowledge concerning military vehicles, so I am not going to tell you how effective putting something in it's way would be or any actual details about it other than what she can see.

Peter knows that there weren't any police following him through the alley. He killed the three that were trying to apprehend him. The other two went chasing after Diego and have since appeared running out of an alley closer to the police perimeter. They are heading towards Iona and Peter now, via the same road that the APC is traveling on. But coming from the opposite direction.
Supernaturalist

Ok, I re-edited my post. Thanks for the clarification. I'll try to block the APC as best as possible.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Because you took the Complication, you have some narrative-mechanics hand-waving-power behind Diego. He'll be able to do what he needs to for the explosion in one round. If you want to go unnoticed, a Stealth check will be required.

Peter and Iona are about 400 feet from the police perimeter. Between them, only Iona has faster than normal movement options.

I'll give ENigmaticOne until Monday afternoon, Pacific time, to get his Action in for the round.