[OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
mrdent12

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator

Post by mrdent12 »

Operational wise, we have a multitude of issues. With some of the previous PC's transportation was mildly mitigated such as Alexandria having a motorcycle. We also were operating out of others peoples bases, which put us into a false sense of security on mobility. Base building wise, in hindsight we should have made some other choices. The PC's are where they are though.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Ok, I still have 13 pp left that I have not spent. Sakuro, I've tried to make all the corrections you instructed me to. I think I got them all, but I have just a few questions:

1) What will you allow me to have under my "Arsenal Array"? Do I spend an equipment point for those items (can these items be things lie a mortar, flame thrower, anti-tank bazooka, etc.)? I'm not sure what kinds of equipment would be allowed within it.

2) I''ve thought about a background that would allow me to have some Expertise: Hadron City. I think that being in Hadron City prior to Imperators arrival would be too contrived (especially given Steiner's occupation). It seems more reasonable that he was part of the initial force sent to subdue Hadron city. Perhaps he was never sympathetic to the idea of subjugating Hadron City, and during the war he was injured and captured. Maybe he was even interrogated. To the surprise of his captors he expressed considerable sympathy with their plight. I imagine him being given a chance to prove his loyalty, and he did so by not only divulging info on his previous side, but by actually joining in attacks on Stronghold (and US military) forces. Does that seem plausible? Of course, it would probably follow that he have some kind of complication like "Traitor", "Hated", of "Well Known" or some such thing. Since he has been in Hadron city fighting for a period of 5-6 months already, I suppose Expertise might be somewhere in the 4-5 range. Seem reasonable?

3) Does "Power Attack" seem reasonable with the kind of "Heavy Weapons" he's using. It makes sense when you are throwing a haymaker or super-charging a power in exchange for accuracy, but I'm finding it hard to justify for his weapons.

4) Would you like for him to buy some sort of vehicle with his eps? Like an Armored Car? The whole group could use it to get around Hadron City and not be forced to walk everywhere.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

As a heads up I won't get getting an IC post in tonight.
1) What will you allow me to have under my "Arsenal Array"? Do I spend an equipment point for those items (can these items be things lie a mortar, flame thrower, anti-tank bazooka, etc.)? I'm not sure what kinds of equipment would be allowed within it.
Build it like you would a standard Power Array, but you're using EP: Buy the highest EP value item in full, then buy the rest for 1 EP. You can only use of of these weapons at a time, just like using Alternated Effects in an standard Array.

No custom gear. Only items from the handbook and GM manual. No super-science items (for example a blaster rifle). Nothing that breaks PL limits. The only items I am allowing to break PL limits are the Rocket Launcher I gave you for free and the single use of Plastic Explosives.
imagine him being given a chance to prove his loyalty, and he did so by not only divulging info on his previous side, but by actually joining in attacks on Stronghold (and US military) forces. Does that seem plausible? Of course, it would probably follow that he have some kind of complication like "Traitor", "Hated", of "Well Known" or some such thing.
Stronghold was not part of the attack on Imperator-held Hardon City. They were contracted to get the city under control after the war was over. They are acting as an occupying force in place of US armed forces.

Other than that, the idea works. I don't see a problem with a defector background, other than they'll never be fully trusted. You betray one group, you have it in to you to turn traitor again. A Complication for Traitor/Defector would be fitting.
Since he has been in Hadron city fighting for a period of 5-6 months already, I suppose Expertise might be somewhere in the 4-5 range. Seem reasonable?
If he was there the entire time, making a point of getting to know the area and it's people not just fighting in it, then that works.
3) Does "Power Attack" seem reasonable with the kind of "Heavy Weapons" he's using.
Think of it as a called shot in other systems. You're aiming for a more vulnerable, harder to hit, location on a target.
4) Would you like for him to buy some sort of vehicle with his eps? Like an Armored Car?
The PCs don't have any logistical support for vehicles. Meaning, you will have to take special measure to see your vehicle is maintained, concealed, and maybe even supplied with fuel. Vehicle traffic is restrictive in Hadron City. Further, if you try to drive around in an armored car, or other combat vehicle, you are going to get jumped on by Stronghold. Fast.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

I've been gone most of the day, so I'll get up a post for Iona (as well as submit more info on Steiner) tomorrow morning.
Supernaturalist

Ok, Both posted for Iona and spent the last of the pps for Steiner. Of course this is still tentative stuff for him.

I've been thinking about the "Defector/Traitor" Complication. It would certainly better explain how Steiner got all his elite training (in the U.S. Army), but it would present some difficulties story-wise. Namely, how would he be someone that Null trusted enough to use for sensitive/important missions? Are there any other suggestions on background that would explain both his elite level of training, cover his knowledge of Hadron City, and allow him to be a trusted member of Null's combat forces? I'm somewhat drawing a blank.

Lastly (and this is kinda off-topic from my characters) I was re-reading the story page (page 1 of the OOC thread) and I noticed that Dr. Impossible brought the Allied and Axis to a peace agreement during WWII. I don't know why this slipped my mind, but that means that the Axis powers are still around? If so, how powerful are they?
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

The easy answer to training is that he was always a soldier under Imperator. Null is powerful, but he still needs fighters. Of course, this isn't the most exciting background. Another way could be he was a mercenary who fell for the dream of utopia that Imperator pushed and entered the city to help at at some point when the barrier came down. Fighting a few months would explain his knowledge of the city.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Supernaturalist wrote:... spent the last of the pps for Steiner. Of course this is still tentative stuff for him.
You may tuck your Knife, Assault Rifle, and Light Pistol with Suppressor (this should be bought as part of the pistol) into the Arsenal Array.

Drop the Armor Piercing Grenade and Anti-Vehicle mine. I said no custom items. Use Equipment as outlined in the books. No tweaking.
Supernaturalist wrote:Are there any other suggestions on background that would explain both his elite level of training, cover his knowledge of Hadron City, and allow him to be a trusted member of Null's combat forces? I'm somewhat drawing a blank?
MrDent offered some ideas: John could have been a mercenary, his career in the US Army behind him. He could have been an infiltrator like Diego. He could have been part of Imperator's invading forces along with Hitori. He could have been living in Hadron City when Imperator invaded and was a citizen there for the last 20 years. This doesn't exclude him from joining Imperator's forces.

There are also people with no military background, but get trained up by private contractors like Stronghold. That is an option for the mercenary angle.

There are separatists, freedom fighters, terrorists, and so on throughout the world that train up people with no professional military experience. The United States has homegrown "militia" that do likewise.
Supernaturalist wrote:I don't know why this slipped my mind, but that means that the Axis powers are still around? If so, how powerful are they?
Germany, Italy, and Japan as nations still exist. They're a bit better off, because they didn't have to deal with the effects of loosing a war or having major population centers bombed into ruins. They are not a mega-nation or confederation. There is no significant political change from how things panned out historically. The Axis powers took some land during the war, but nothing that shifted the balance of power in a major way.

In the case of Nazis, they're still active. They aren't in power politically, but they were never forced into shadows and fringe groups.
MrDent wrote:Null is powerful, but he still needs fighters.
You can win a war with a nuke, but you might also destroy the thing you were fighting for.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

The last remark reminds me of Starship Troopers book which I finally got around to reading.
Supernaturalist

Iona actually never intended to go through with the torture and killing. She was merely stalling for time until she got the courage to tell Sokolov "no". The only way should would go through with such an order is if he took control of her some way and forced her. Part of her Utopian Idealism Complication is the "Utopian" part. She is not a "Dystopian Idealist". She still has Levi's brain; and while killing for the cause is acceptable, his own mental health won't allow him to do what Iona just did in the IC thread.

I'm not sure how we get past this impasse. Perhaps there is no way. She'll just have to take whatever torture Dr. Sokolov inflicts upon her.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Imperators rule was a dystopia to a degree. People had freedoms, food, etc at the cost of living in a dictatorship that psychologically programs people and making enemies of the state disappear.
Supernaturalist

OOC I know that there is almost certainly a "shady" dimension to Imperator's rule. IC there is much that Levi and thus Iona are naive and ignorant about where Imperator's rule is concerned. But Iona is still basically Levi without his memories. Levi is/was perfectly fine with killing for The Cause. He would even approve of torture under certain circumstances.

Iona/Levi is fundamentally at her/his core a healer, researcher, and builder. She/he has tolerated military roles because that's what the group needs now. But within those roles, she/he will always try to keep hold of their humanity. She did not enjoy killing the mundane humans, but she did. She was disappointed when Carman killed the old, sickly man, but she did not start a fight because of it. She knows that her opinion on that subject is certainly a minority one. There are just certain ethical lines that she/he will not cross under her/his own will. The unnecessary torture of innocent people is wildly against their conscience. The only reason she didn't tell Dr. Sokolov to go pound sand is because she was initially in disbelief at his request, then she still was unable to say "no" because she is afraid of him. My post was an attempt to slow the scene down as Iona struggles with the courage of telling Dr. Sokolov "no".
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I'm not going to remark on Iona not going along as that is the domain of Sakuro to decide what happens. I will say Iona is adding an interesting dynamic. It would be a boring game if all the PC's were calculating psychpaths like Diego.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Imperator was a downright evil, horrible, dictator. He was, and there is no question about it, a total and complete villain. Imperator was very charismatic and had a good propaganda machine though. Imperator's Praetors were equally evil, horrible, people as well. Your characters have never been on the side of "good" or "right". Not to any degree. Let's get that straight so there is no confusion OOC.

Putting that aside, in Iona's scene I was looking for some clue that Supernaturalist was going to commit one way or another. Either doing as Sokolov instructed or refusing to. You waffled, were indecisive, and did not make your intent clear to me. When Iona took up the drill, I considered that your sign of committing to the torture and leaving it open to me to narrate a fade to black. In the future, I need you to be more clear with your intent. Make an OOC comment. Put in some internal monologue. Something. I do not want to drag on scenes like this because they are a sensitive topic. At the same time, I don't want to ignore them outright, and the emotional impact they should have.

OOC, it is alright for Iona to refuse. However, bear in mind, this is not meant to be a story of "good people doing bad things, some of the time ... but only when they have to". This is a villain game. The erosion of the PC's humanity, and devolution into evil is meant to be a significant theme of the story. If your characters aren't having to fight to maintain their humanity, and loosing pieces of themselves along the way, I'm failing in my goal.

Coming from an IC perspective, Iona/Levi has stagnated for a while. They are not working past their persistent naïve and ignorant attitude. It is an ongoing problem in the eyes of people around them that has repeatedly had a negative impact on their assignments. Measures are going to be taken to invoke a change in their attitude. That needs to be acknowledged by you. My hope is that this can be used as an opportunity for character development and growth. Where you take that is up to you.

I will edit my post to account for Iona not going through with the torture and murder. It will remain a scene-ender post though. It will also take Iona out of action for a while. A few days at least. We can either skip ahead or you can use that time to focus on playing Steiner, once he is fully fleshed out.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I have editted my IC post in relation to Iona's scene. Iona will be confined for over half a week. Let me know if you two want to proceed with a time skip, leading into Iona joining Diego at the HQ. Or if you, Supernaturalist, prefer to jump in with John before then.

I know Diego is aiming to speak with the the botanist in charge of the Greenhouse. Before we get on with that I'd like to know both your preferences on the time skip and John's insertion into the story. I also do not want this story segment to turn into a series of solo scenes. So I will be pushing to make solo scenes brief, and putting forth an effort to get the PCs together quickly.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I am fine with a time jump or having Stein come in. Diego going to meet the botanist was a way to sync up with Iona in a scene she would better be able to handle. I am fully on board in avoiding two solo scenes however you want to play it.

Edit:

IC, there much Diego can do with the botanist inquiries short of taking note and trying to get answers from more science oriented people or get equipment if it is urgent. Good leader and all that. OOC, the motivation is to avoid a solo adventure for Diego digging for information under various guises.