[OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [OOC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator [Recruiting 1]

Post by jmucchiello »

Actually, I'm thinking about taking the direction of a guy who was a native resident of Hadron City and was happy with the Imperator's rule. He worked odd jobs for drinking money and was a special delivery guy because of his ability to navigate the city better than most couriers. He started saving up and got his small craft pilot's license just because he thought flying would be awesome. His instructor told him to get a commercial license because he was that good. And then Impossible "liberated" the city, killing a couple of Ray's friends in the process. Ray, a totally apolitical figure up until then, developed a hate for Impossible and joined a small underground faction of rabble rousers. I think his hook is his rebel friends were going to do some damage to some military outpost and he was the getaway driver. Well, the army was waiting for them and he had to cut and run or be captured or killed with the rest of them. While disposing of the vehicle and working to find a new cell to work with, one of Null's agents could approach him then about getting power.

Ray's in his early 20s so most of his life was spent under the Imperator's rule. That's what "normal" life is for Ray. (I've dropped the demolitions angle. It doesn't fit the current background.)
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

That's only partially going to work. Null, and Dr. Sokolov for that matter, are not looking for random people with skills or a grudge. For the purpose of being a PC in this game they'd be looking for people who were loyal to the cause in Null's case, or to himself in Sokolov's case, to a fault. Because they are aiming to groom the PCs for greater things. The prospective character needs to have a background of supporting Imperator in more than an idle or passive acceptance. It needs to be dedication, not just someone living their life and getting by.
Last edited by Sakuro on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Oh. Okay. Back to the drawing board. So the PCs have to be in their late 30s at a minimum if the Imperator took over in 2000. How did the Imperator recruit people back in 2000 and earlier? It's not like he was known before he took over the city.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

They need to be an adult. The character can be raised in Hadron City from youth. If you want a minimum age, I'll put it at twenty, as I do not want any of the PCs to be part of the First Generation.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego was recruited before the bubble went up as an idealistic youth and slowly came to be a fanatic of the utopian dream despite being outside the bubble as a spy for Imperator. So, your characters background can show a progression to being an ardent follower of whoever you go with Sokolovs or Null to the point they pull you in for grooming.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I don't understand. How can you be part of the original invasion force of 2000 and be 20 years old in 2019? I must be missing something or not understanding the timeline. How can you gain loyalty to the Imperator after the invasion as a native of the city?

Or maybe you're saying can't be politically neutral during the Imperator's rule. He needs to have been engaged in the rulership somehow. Is that it? I'm guessing that's the right angle.

Anyway, I'm going out for the day. I'll return to Ray this evening.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

jmucchiello wrote:I don't understand. How can you be part of the original invasion force of 2000 and be 20 years old in 2019?

Or maybe you're saying can't be politically neutral during the Imperator's rule. He needs to have been engaged in the rulership somehow. Is that it? I'm guessing that's the right angle.
The character cannot be politically neutral. They need to have been an active supporter of Imperator. It is not a requirement that your character be part of the initial invasion force. They can be someone that lived in or grew up in Hadron City.

Imperator's rule was not passive. He was not a normal man either. Imperator was a charismatic super-genius that spent the last twenty years employing social engineering and indoctrination techniques only a super-genius could come up with. For all intents and purpose the people of Hadron City have their own culture separate from the US. They're suffering culture shock, as Stronghold tries to reinforce old mindsets.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Looks like I'm a bit late to the potential recruitment call, but I might be able to put together a pitch. Will be later tonight though- I'm trying to undo the vacation difficulties...

What is the likelihood of adapting an existing NPC (Tilly or Ren, maybe?). If not thme exactly, maybe someone associated with Ren and her crew?
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

While I am not 100% sure, Ren is in the First Generation which is its own group. PC's so far can only be part of Dr Sokolovs or Praetor Nulls group.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

You are not late PathFinder. I like the idea of making use of an existing NPC. MrDent is correct though. Ren is not suitable for play as a PC, for a number of reasons. Tilly is an option I'd give a thumbs up to.

If you are talking about the First Generation when you mention 'Ren's crew', they are not an option for PCs. One of the glaring reasons for this being that they're pretty close to becoming enemies of the PCs right now.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Okay, so Ray joined the Imperator's armed forces out of school. He was a dutiful and conscientious soldier. He was not afraid to turn in malcontents. He would help his fellow soldiers wherever he could. He received pilot training in the armed forces and was a crack pilot.

Not sure how he would have distinguished himself in peacetime. But when the army invaded, he was shot down during an early battle and could not make his way back to base until after the Imperator disappeared.

He found his way into a rebel cell in a city gone mad (from his point of view).
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

That works JMucchiello. As for how a combatant might distinguish themselves martially during peacetime: wargames. There would have been lots of very realistic wargames. Ray could have had the experience of a veteran before his first real aerial dog fight.

So you are aware, the 2018 war for Hadron City lasted for around six months and spilled out over into a good chunk of the state of Kansas. Imperator's forces took, and held, enemy territory for extended periods of time. If Ray was shot down in an early battle and didn't make it back till the end of the war, he'd be displaced for a considerable amount of time. He's probably had some interesting adventures.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

If you are talking about the First Generation when you mention 'Ren's crew', they are not an option for PCs. One of the glaring reasons for this being that they're pretty close to becoming enemies of the PCs right now.
To be fair, at this point there isn't a group we've come across yet that isn't nearly our enemies for one reason or another. Even Praetors Nulls forces seemed inclined to kill us at one point.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

mrdent12 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 am
To be fair, at this point there isn't a group we've come across yet that isn't nearly our enemies for one reason or another. Even Praetors Nulls forces seemed inclined to kill us at one point.
Which is not a pleasant thing, given that they're supposed to be on our side. Classic for PCs, but so far we're barely staying ahead of getting purged.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

You guys are building up quite the trash fire. Weirdly, the group you would be in the best position with are the Jaguars, given Alexandria was doing a job for them in her side story.