[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Sakuro »

Diego studies the masked man for clues as to his background. There is no face to see. Only a generic ballistic mask with some paint on it and a resperator over the mouth. The gauntlets are odd ... they'd be recognizable, but he can't think of any individual know so such a thing. He's wearing a piece of Hadron City crafted armor. It looked well used but maintained.

"We are already dead. That which is dead cannot be killed."

The masked man replied blandly to Diego's threat, notably unconcerned with the lose of life, or apparently even his own. There is a certain melancholy about him, though the unusual nature of Diego spikes it with curiosity. When Diego mentions the Eye of Odin there is a long silence. This person seemed unrushed, and unphased by the potential danger that Diego represents.

It was that statement that triggered something in Diego's memory. He recalled Dr. Sokolov mentioning a group Imperator's people had encountered: the Midnight Society. According to the doctor the Midnight Society had discovered the Macro-Virus which Hitori now embodied. Imperator's people had to kill them all to ensure the virus did not spread beyond that group.

"You are after the Eye, and you know what it is? Curious. Well, you may have it when I am finished. That won't be long now."

Reaching one oversized hand up to a radio mounted on his left shoulder he pressed the transmit button and spoke into the radio.

"Clear the intruder from the silo and proceed with the missile launch."

The command was given with no attempt to hide what he had said from Diego. Instead, the act was glossed over with a question posed to Diego.

"What exactly is your composition? Fluid? Biological hive? Machine?"
OOC wrote:Diego was given Security Clearance by Null, he had downtime while injured to look at some material, and Dr. Sokolov mentioned the Midnight Society. If all three of those weren't true, you would not have even got a inkling of an idea who this might be. As it is, Diego is not certain this is the Midnight Society, but it is the only secret organization he has heard about in relation to Imperator's people.

Diego does not have any substantial information about the Midnight Society, or this person in particular. One of the guards said the name Maelstrom though. Dr. Sokolov did mention that the Midnight Society were the ones that found the Macro-Virus and that Imperator's people had to kill them all. You will need to do focused, time consuming, research to learn about the Midnight Society.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
HP: 1
Sakuro wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:09 pmOnce inside he sees a large room populated with a collection of sizable generators that look to have been taken from WW2. At each corner of the room is a device that looks like it was taken from the mind of Nicola Tesla. Coiling miniature towers with bulbus tops of copper. The air is electric. From each of clamoring generators is a mess of cords and wires that come together at a central location corning a knot the size of a basket ball. Diego can feel himself drawn to this mess of electrical cords.
mrdent12 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:30 amAs he awaits a reply, Diego sends another message over the network to his fellow Ascendants. I am close to the gem and suspect I may have found something related to the storm. I need any immediate reactions you may have to the room and instruments. Time is short and I may be attacked any moment. I sense the gem in the middle coil of wires., transmits Diego along with a quick transfer of what he saw.
The good news, Peter reflected was that they were almost there to the gem, but now Diego and Hitori had to take it and get back. And this was an exotic piece of work to analyze to. But Peter had nothing but time, and the vastness of his expanded mind to make sense of what Diego sent him. This was another useful advantage of the Ascendant mental network.
Technology: 1d20+16 32
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

It take Peter a moment to grasp what he is looking at. At first glance it looks like a collection of antiquated equipment jury-rigged together into a mess. The equipment used itsold, and constructed from World War 2 era materials. But he sees signs of innovation that are decades ahead of today's capabilities. What looks like generators are in fact power siphons. This room's machinery may well be the reason the western hemisphere has gone dark … except for some advanced technology in the hands of Dr. Sokolov and Stronghold. It is also evident that all that siphoned energy is being shunted into the mass of cables and wires Diego believes to be surrounding the gem he is after. Perhaps pouring into the gem itself.

There are also four structures similar to tesla coils at the corners of the room. These are not connected to the power siphon mechanism. Instead, the seem to be some emitters. Capable of projecting electrical bolts. It is possible they may bolster the energy feeding into the gem … or they could be used offensively against Diego. Presently they are doing neither.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

*That contraption may the source of the expansive blackout. It's siphoning energy directly into the core around the gem, into into the gem itself. Another warning - those are emitters in the corners of the room. Currently inactive, but they could be used bolster the energy stream or to blast you with electricity.*

Contraption was the best word, Peter felt, for something so crude yet performing beyond any normal expectation.
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage)
Form: mist

"You are after the Eye, and you know what it is? Curious. Well, you may have it when I am finished. That won't be long now."

Reaching one oversized hand up to a radio mounted on his left shoulder he pressed the transmit button and spoke into the radio.

"Clear the intruder from the silo and proceed with the missile launch."

The command was given with no attempt to hide what he had said from Diego. Instead, the act was glossed over with a question posed to Diego.

"What exactly is your composition? Fluid? Biological hive? Machine
"I believe my associate would disagree about you being dead. It is no matter though. I do think they will survive long enough to continue repeating your Midnight Society mantra and it will become true. Hopefully, we can avoid these silly games. I can not leave just as much as you cannot stop being blind to the true way things can be if we united our efforts. It is a pity really. Another fool who cannot see the true enemy. There is still time for you and your kind to avoid a true death if you surrender the gem now.", says Diego in the same almost passion less tone as he prepares for battle. The man was a fanatic. He wasn't going to even dignify the man with a response to what his true nature was. In truth, he didn't even know except he wasn't alive in the food for Hitori sense of the word.

Tactic's wise, Diego wasn't under the illusion he had the stronger hand. Four pillars that could shoot electricity, a man of unknown power, and reinforcements he didn't even know about were his enemy. Hitori was facing harrowing odds. He had to do his best though because failure wasn't an option. How can I cut the energy stream?, inquires Diego of Peter.
Initiative 20 just in case it will be needed
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When Diego says 'Midnight Society', the masked man tilts his head to the right, but does not interrupt Diego's dialog. Neither with question nor statement. Only when the Ascendant finishes talking and poises to strike does his respond.

"So impatient."

Whirling around the cowled man's cloak flaps to the side with his movements. Like a singular black wing flapping. Having turned his back to Diego he pulls a lever, twists some knobs, and presses a series of buttons with hurried hands. When he is finished this flurry of activity the tesla coil-like constructs at the corners of the room buzz angrily and arcs of electricity strike at Diego's misty mass. While he is able to evade one pair, the others strike home.
OOC wrote:We're working off of the already established Initiative.

Diego's aggression triggers a Ready Action that Maelstrom had been holding. He activates the Tesla Coils attack mode, and they each attack Diego. Two miss. Two hit. Make two DC 23 Toughness checks.

Diego is up.

Initiative
x4 Tesla Coils (Minion)
Maelstrom (Heroic NPC)
Diego
Peter will be able to point out that the energy feeding into the gem is done so via the wires and cords wrapped around it. There are three ovious methods to terminate the flow of energy being directed into the gem: turn the energy siphons off, destroy the energy siphon, or physically sever the cords and wires surrounding the Eye of Odin. Only the first option is safe. Destroying the machines while they are active would likely result in a catastrophic explosion. Physically severing the cords and wires would likely result in the person doing so being hit with at least some of the current that is pouring into the Eye. Finally, while Peter feels confident that he could safely turn the machines themselves off, explaining the process to Diego and Diego understanding is another matter. He'd have to be there to do it himself.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
mrdent12 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 amHow can I cut the energy stream?, inquires Diego of Peter.
*Three options.* Peter explained. *The safest is shutting off the siphons, but I would have to do it myself. I don't think you would be able to properly understand the process. You could sever the cords and wires but take a serious shock while doing so. The last is to destroy the machines, and obliterate at a minimum, the entire facility from the resulting explosion.*
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1->0
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage), fatigued start of next round
Form: mist

As the blasts slammed into Diego and his nanite cells scattered about, it looked a lot worse than it was. In fact, it was much to do about nothing. The only real effect it had on the Ascendant of Deception was to make him even more inclined to strike at the target despite his usual chatty ways. "After being fired upon as a greeting, covered in flames, and now seeing this contraption built on antiquated technology patience is not something I have. You never confirmed who you were, but if that missile is carrying a virus or biological weapon of exotic origin you would be exactly who I think you are or a close copy cat. Either option if true means I have little regard for your continued existence.", says Diego coldly.

Flying within striking range of the man, Diego solidifies back into the electricity protected form. Like old hat, his composition bounded together into a form that was taxing on his body. He wanted to go back to a mist. His body, as it was, cried out to return to the native form that was oddly comforting. With the towers there, it wasn't an option. Staring the man in the face, Diego doesn't change his tone. "If you want to keep being among the literal living, you will do four things. Tell me about the missile, tell me who your group is, tell me why you need the gem, and give me the gem.", says Diego in a matter of act tone meant to be neutral sounding.

After making himself heard, he made sure to only appear poised to strike in his all black form. If any possible threat seemed imminent his hands were primed to shift into spiked maces. "Now, I am not an unreasonable creature. We may yet come to some agreement that doesn't involve a fight. I have enough enemies in the forces of Stronghold and the U.S military. You seem like you would be a powerful one that would only add to the list.", adds Diego. He didn't want to fight if it could be avoided. For all he knew, this man could be helping the cause in some fashion.
Might be writers block or maybe exhaustion, but can't come up with any better ideas without any HP's plus the complication of taking -2 damage effectively every-time he takes damage from four possible sources could make things go downhill rather quickly. So figure the best cure for the writers block bit is to keep writing and the game going in hopes the block goes away.

Toughness 27
Toughness 11, reroll
Toughness 26
Power stunting form
Immunity electricity sustained, Formed Blades: Damage 7(Strength Based, Extras: Accurate 2, Variable)

Ready action to strike if Maelstrom doesn't anything except four things Diego mentioned or looks like he is taking a hostile action of any kind. The latter is the most likely, but hey why not give it a go.
Attack 14
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"You forced your way into this place and damaged property that was not your own. What did you expect, tea and biscuits? Of course you were fired on. Whoever you are, you're a poor guest and a worse negotiator. With that attitude you'll get nothing. Here is my counter proposal: stand down and I will give you the Eye when I am finished with it. If you do not I'll destroy it instead."

When the masked man refused to bow to Diego's demands the Ascendant drove forwards with a weapon fashioned from his own body. The man across from his raises one oversized gauntlet clad hand and mages a backhanded gesture. As he does so Diego finds his strike going askew and missing it's mark. Maelstrom takes a seconds to study Diego's new form.

"Ah, that would be the process you underwent to bypass the electrified door. A change in tactic then."

Lifting his left hand Maelstrom's giant fingers spread outwards. From the corners of the room the four Tesla Coils strike the palm of his gauntlet. A faint blue-white glow begins to radiate from him as the electricity feeds into his gauntlet. Then, with his right hand the cowled figure reached forwards at Diego. The air rippled between them as some form of space warping force comes from Maelstrom's gauntlet, but Diego evades it just in time.
OOC wrote:The Tesla Coils do … something. It seems to bolster Maelstrom.

Maelstrom attacks and misses Diego.

Diego is up.

Initiative
x4 Tesla Coils (Minion)
Maelstrom (Heroic NPC)
Diego
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 0
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage), fatigued
Form: solid special

Keeping ready, in case another attack seems imminent, Diego shifts his hands and arms back to proper hands and arms ready to shift them back at a milliseconds notice. He was actually starting to get the hang of this shifting thing. The Ascendant gifts were coming in handy and over time he imagined he would only grow stronger if he stayed in Praetor Null's favour. The man has signaled a missile launch to be prepared. I am unconcerned about other cities than Hadron City, but we will need to track it's trajectory. Dr. Sokolov seemed to be able to track the storm and energy. Would it also be possible to keep track of any objects launched from this location? , inquires Diego of Peter over the other gift given to the Ascendants.

"My concern is not for whoever you are targeting so long as it is not Hadron City and no pandemic will be released. My only concern is the gem.", begins Diego adopting a different tact. Maelstrom was sounding reasonable enough and clearly fighting was only going to cause more issues. Based on what Diego heard of the the fringe group who wanted to release a global pandemic of the virus infecting Hitori, they did not sound terribly reasonable. It would all be telling soon enough.

"So long as you can give me assurances my city is not the target of your missile and you are not trying to end the world, your terms will be acceptable. I have enough enemies in Stronghold and nations of the world. So long as my objectives are met, I have no reason to prevent yours or keep fighting you.", continues Diego employing the game theory tactics he was trained by matching the tone of his adversary.

It all depended now on what happen next. If needed, Diego was ready to fight more, but that wasn't his strength and it was crude. All he needed was the gem. Contrary to the flame throwing men and armies marshaling against Hitori, Maelstrom seemed like someone he didn't need to keep fighting. Not yet at least. All the same, Diego kept a close eye on the man for any indications one way or the other.
Insight 9, for anything Diego can read off Maelstrom and his behaviour so far.
Deception 22 to tell if Maelstrom is lying assuming he answers Diego on the target not being Hadron City plus the pay load not being world ending.

If possible, ill have a ready action to attack if Maelstrom looks like he is going to attack.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The masked man regards Diego quietly when te Ascendant stands down and takes on a less combat orientated form. Diego could feel the eyes behind that painted mask studying him. Ears listening careful to what Diego said. There was an intriuged lilt to the man's tone when Diego mentioned concern forHadron City and reffered to it as 'my city'.

"Hadron City? Well, that makes sense now."

Though Maelstrom did not continue to attack once Diego had relented, streams of electricity still fed into his oversized gauntlets from the Tesla Coils. He remained prepared in the event Diego changed his mind, or were trying to deceive him. At the mention of world destruction one of those oversized hands raised and made a dismissive gesture. His tone was a mixture of melancholic forced amusement and a touch dismissive as well.

"Why would I want to destroy the Earth? I live on it. No, I do not intend to harm Hadron City or destroy the world. People will die though."

Maelstrom was difficult to read. The man's face and eyes were blocked by a mask. His voice muffled and distorted by a respirator. He seemed sad, but resigned to that fact, when he mentioned people dying. The masked man was obviously holding back details and his words were purposefully chosen as not to lie while revealing little.

"Now, if you will stay near the door, you only need wait another five minutes. Then you may have what you came for. I will not be able to perform the role of host adequately and keep you entertained, however. You understand."

At this the cowled figure half turns away from Diego and begins to manipulate some crude controls on the old machinery near the generators.
OOC wrote:I'll give Diego some time to talk with Peter, but Maelstrom is not going to socialize with Diego. He's performing some kind of task, but doing little more than make sure Diego doesn't do anything malicious. Five minutes will pass fairly quickly, narratively.

Unless Diego does something to warrant Maelstrom's intervention, my next post for him will be to revolve this scene and hand over the Eye of Odin.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Peter wasn't in a position to track it, given that he'd been banished from the bottom floors. However... he took up the communicator and contacted Reaper - no sign should be given of their neural network to Iona.

"Reaper, please put me on with Iona." Once that had been done so...

"Iona, I have been informed there is going to be a missile launched outside the city. It will not threaten Hadron, but it is in our interest to track it. If I give you the coordinates, will you be able to do so?"
Games
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:2
Cnd: Normal
PP:0
OOC: The following assumes that Reaper allows me to speak with Peter via the communicator.
"Iona, I have been informed there is going to be a missile launched outside the city. It will not threaten Hadron, but it is in our interest to track it. If I give you the coordinates, will you be able to do so?"
Of all the things which Iona expects Peter to say, these words are not among them.

Peter is met with awkward silence for a few moments.

"I...um...a missile?...what kind of missile?" Though a cyborg, Iona's facial expression certainly mimics perplexity as if she were a human. Peter might not see just how confused she is, but Reaper certainly can.

"I...suppose I could track it if it flew high enough. Let me check and see from what kinds of sources these computers draw their sensor data. That should give me an idea."
OOC: What kind of roll would I need to assess whether Dr. Sokolov's computers could track a missile regardless of it's type. Would I even need a roll?
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 0
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage), fatigued
Form: solid special

"Why would I want to destroy the Earth? I live on it. No, I do not intend to harm Hadron City or destroy the world. People will die though."
It was peculiar. Before becoming an Ascendant, Diego valued life and would empathize with feeling possibly sad about people dying. He even once risked his own life to save some people when running would have been better. Now, sacrificing people for a greater cause, so long as it was not avoidable, was just something that had to be done. Even if needless killing occurred, so long as it didn't compromise the mission or objective, it was merely unfortunate for this who died. Humanity was one of those slowly fading things Diego had sacrificed. Now when seeing it he could only marvel with how weak it made him. "All people must die.", is all Diego replies in his now native cold voice as he makes his way back to the door.

Standing by the door in the agreed upon position, Diego is like a statue of pure black with occasional ripples like waves rolling over the ocean. Just in case Maelstrom has people waiting for him, he keeps an ear out for any attempts at storming the door. In addition to the missile tracking, I will need all the information collected so far on the power drains and if possible irregular energies in this area. This man may become a problem in the future, so once you finish collecting information on this area I expect a report., transmits Diego. Getting the gem was the first step. Getting out will be another story completely.
I know the research will take 2 hours, so merely including it here for RP purposes.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
Supernaturalist wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 pmPeter is met with awkward silence for a few moments.

"I...um...a missile?...what kind of missile?" Though a cyborg, Iona's facial expression certainly mimics perplexity as if she were a human. Peter might not see just how confused she is, but Reaper certainly can.

"I...suppose I could track it if it flew high enough. Let me check and see from what kinds of sources these computers draw their sensor data. That should give me an idea."
mrdent12 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:19 amStanding by the door in the agreed upon position, Diego is like a statue of pure black with occasional ripples like waves rolling over the ocean. Just in case Maelstrom has people waiting for him, he keeps an ear out for any attempts at storming the door. In addition to the missile tracking, I will need all the information collected so far on the power drains and if possible irregular energies in this area. This man may become a problem in the future, so once you finish collecting information on this area I expect a report., transmits Diego. Getting the gem was the first step. Getting out will be another story completely.
"I'm afraid I don't know the specifics there. Also, I must ask if you can track the energy fluctuations in that area as well. It may be related to the storm." Peter added, giving her the coordinates when she was ready.
Games