[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Recovery

Post by Sakuro »

Noisy pollution spewing cars crowd the streets, with private vehicles being the vast majority. For John, this is a stark contrast to what he had been accustomed to during Imperator's reign. In the past clean running public transport was the norm, with individual cars being dedicated for government purposes. Such as Imperator's Inquisitors, who ensured the loyalty of the citizenry and enforced laws.

It is nighttime, as such there is less pedestrian traffic, but there is still enough that you end up sharing space with other people throughout your trek to the Autum Dawn campus. The trip itself is uneventful aside from a man nearly spilling coffee on Iona as he talked to someone on a cellphone that he held to the side of his face like a long lost lover's hand.

No one stops you when you walk into the Autumn Dawn parking lot. At least the above ground parking lot. The space is not filled, but there are still a healthy number of cars, indicating that there are a lot of people still working through the night. The area is well lit by evenly spaced lighting positioning on sturdy but thin dark grey poles. No one loiters outside, and there is no external security personnel on patrol outside the building.

The front entrance, leading to a lobby that you can only partially see from outside, is easy to find and has 'Autumn Dawn' in bold art deco font over the doors in big lettering. Far to the left of the entrance the pavement descends at an angle. Leading to what must be the underground garage your meeting it meant to take place at.

Moving closer, should you choose to, you can see that down the incline is a cement guard station positioned next to a vertical lifting gate that leads into the parking garage and, over the gate, is a reflective domed camera. Without getting close enough for the guard, or guards, to notice your approach, and interest in the area, you cannot tell how many people at in the guard station.
OOC wrote:As a reminder, Iona cannot sense through walls, barriers, or get a feeling for what materials are inside something. She needs Penetrates Concealment for her Sense in order to do that.

No one is flashing their ID, employee cards, or anything like that on the streets.

You said that you wanted to head to the parking lot, so I am stopping here so as not to narrate further than you want to go.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 2
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

So far, so good. The young cyborg made sure that she did not get ahead of the rest of the "business party". Although it was night, her Ultravision allowed her to see quite clearly. She assumes that they'll be taking the sloping walkway to the left, but she allows Diego to lead the way.

She had a name picked out for herself, an alias just in case she was asked directly before Diego could speak. But she is determined to let Diego do the talking. He's the master agent and although Iona capable of convincing lies, she really preferred to have one "storyteller", if for no other reason than consistency.

Her glasses, although she did not need them, were there to complicate the face recognition software. The bulkier frames are not comfortable, but necessary to obfuscate her features. She pushes them up onto the bridge of her nose as she prepares for the descent to the guard station.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:2
Cnd:Normal

John cannot help but be impressed with the Autumn Dawn building. He's glad that the parking lot is still mostly full. Their cover story about a night time meeting will not sound absurd. Content to let the Ascendant do the talking - at least at first, the soldier focuses his attention on the lobby area as he nears the doors.
OOC: Can I see what kinds of visible security they have through the front windows/doors? How are the guards armed?
Glancing down the sloping walkway to the left, John eyes the guard post and entrance to the garage. Soon they would face the moment of truth and see if their story was good enough to get them past the guard-booth with no suspicion. He really didn't want to imagine the cover story not working. Armed only with a combat knife, he felt more vulnerable than he had in recent memory when the potential for an armed conflict loomed. The blade was concealed on the inside pocket of his dress coat. He hoped he would not need to use it...at least not this soon.

He waits for the Ascendant to take the lead and follows beside him.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:There isn't a big open window for you to peer into the lobby. Just a set of large doors. You'll need to get close and peak inside to check out the lobby in detail. But you can see one guard (you do not know if they are the only guard in the lobby) sitting behind a desk not too far from a secretary's desk. They almost share a double desk/counter area. You can't tell how well equipped he is.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: Haunted, but fine
Form: Solid
Trauma Trigger: 1

A guard post complicated matters. It was a safe area, Stronghold patrols, drones in the air, and other such security so hopefully it was just some security guard rentacop. At the most, hopefully just someone who didn't care about details too much. Duncan wouldn't have agreed to meeting in a place with a too well trained guard, Diego had to hope.

He didn't recall seeing other entrances to the underground, so he had would need to lie about why they were using the current one if it got brought up. There was also the likelihood the camera was linked to the lobby guard. Only one way to find out if any of this would work though. Continuing to lead the others he spoke to Iona and John with a slight first generation Chinesse-American accent. "Should have got it out of the car earlier. I told you to keep it in your pocket.", says Diego as they approach the gate.

Once at the gate, Diego checked if there was a guard present and looked up at the camera in a fashion an innocent person would. The face he had wasn't wanted, so he wasn't too concerned with being ID'd. Plus, he could never use the same face again. it was one of the perks of the gifts from Praetor Null.
This next bit assumes there is a guard and the gate can't be walked through in any fashion. it also assumes, unless I am not having a brain fart
and the meeting place is in the underground parking structure.
"Can you open the gate for us? My friends and I were in some meetings and they started talking about our financials, which we brought on a flash drive, but left in the car. We really need those numbers and the slide deck on the thumb drive.", asked Diego doing his best to look annoyed and anxious at the same time. He made a further show of checking his pockets again.
Deception 19, unaided
Persuasion 32 if the guard buys the lie to make him most inclined to help us with less questions
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

The 'gate' was a metal yellow 'arm', six inch cylinder, extending horizontally across the road leading into the underground garage and position about three feet from the ground. While there were signs of a proper barrier, built into the building's structure, this was likely only employed when the garage was closed. For a vehicle this 'arm' stretching across the barrier was an obstacle. For pedestrians such as yourselves, you could simply step over or walk around it.

On your approach you hear talking from the guard gate, which gradually becomes clear when you eventually read the guard post. Inside there is a single man, perhaps in his late twenties, wearing a white button up shirt and black slacks. He has an lamellar ID pinned to his shirt, and a thick belt with an array of items strapped to it. From handcuffs and a flashlight to taser and little holster for pepper spray. He's armed, but with all less than lethal weapons.

The guard is lazily leaning back in a chair. In front of him is a bank of monitors and, atop the monitors, is position a smart phone. From the smartphone, though you cannot see the screen, you can hear the announcer of a sports event. It sounds like hockey. To top the scene you find the gate guard slurping at a cup-of-noodles. His attention on the game, not so much guarding the gate. When you speak to him he waves his fork in the direction of a device on the side of the gate and speaks with a mouth still containing some noodles.

"Swipe your ID."
OOC wrote:MrDent, you should have 2 HP now.
Supernaturalist

Iona
"Swipe your ID."
Iona smiles at Diego, making light of the situation. "You didn't leave you ID badge in the meeting did you?" She says jokingly.

Looking to the young guard while continuing to smile, she shakes her head in frustration. "It's been an awful day. Just one thing after another going wrong. Could we just run and grab it?" It won't take us that long. We'll be right back out."

The young cyborg's beauty has been culled under the disguise, but her soft voice radiates a beauty all its own.
Here's a Persuasion check for the guard: Supernaturalist: 1D20+10 → 20(10 + 10). So, a 20.
And here's my Deception roll to mask Iona's psychological state from Diego: Supernaturalist: 1D20+8 → 27(19 + 8). So, a 27.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:1

John Steiner has many special skills. Unfortunately, he possesses neither Diego's silver-tounge nor Iona's manipulative beauty. When the guard askes for an ID card, John remains silent, hiding - as best he can - his concern about being discovered.

His mind inexorably wanders to the knife concealed just inside his coat, and his eyes scrutinize the guard's security booth for a weakness, a way to quickly breach it and kill him if necessary. Unfortunately, the camera above would make that risky. No doubt that it is also tied into some other central-security area within the building.

So, the soldier forces himself to crack a smile, adding to Iona's attempt to "lighten the mood" and give the impression that this is all just a harmless abnormality. "Yeah, nothing has gone right today, and they'll expect us back at that meeting pretty soon with those financial figues. You'd really get us out of a bind if we could go search our vehicle for it."
Here is John's Deception roll to hide his paranoia from Diego. Supernaturalist: 1D20 → 17(17).
So, a 17. I don't know if playing along with Iona could count as an Aid to her Deception, but I'll go ahead and include a roll just in case it can. Deception Aid roll to help Iona: Supernaturalist: 1D20 → 7(7). Meh, only a 7. I'll spend an HP in order to make her story more convincing. Here's the re-roll: Supernaturalist: 1D20 → 18(18). Ok, that's better. An 18.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

This was going to be interesting. They had to get into the garage and finding other means to get in would only draw suspicion of them casing the building. "Yeah, yeah. Add my ID to another list of items we forgot today. With everything else going on today, seems like the world is against us getting the deal done. With Stronghold freeing the city I thought we would get some sort of break with all the new companies moving in, but the universe is against us. We just need a few minutes maybe shorter if the world stops hating us. We really gotta be on time for this meeting.", grumbles Diego in his Chinese American accent.

If this failed, they would need to find another door going into the underground structure quickly to avoid missing the meeting time. Diego was fairly certain he could find something, but not so sure in the time they had.
Insight 14,20 First John, second Iona

Neither worked out.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

A long, half groaned, and overdramatic sigh rolls out of the security guard's mouth when the three of you break the routine of simply swiping an ID and moving on. Now, he had to pay attention to your group instead of the game playing out on the screen of his phone. It was easy to see this twenty-something was not the hard working type with a strong work ethic.

Lowering his cup of noodles to a counter he plucks up a wrinkled napkin and dabs at his mouth. Cleans up his hands. Then he pokes at the smartphone screen to mute the game currently in session. Still chewing on some noodles he gets out of his chair and approaches the window from which the three of you may look into the guard station. You can tell he is alone. The small structure only large enough for one or two people to begin with.

He looks over the three of you with dull brown eyes. Squints at your group in an 'I'm judging you' way. Then, with his right hand, he motions towards the way into parking garage.

"Alright. You can go in. But one of you has to stay out here so I have someone to blame if you get into trouble ... and you owe me an almond Snickers."
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:1
"Alright. You can go in. But one of you has to stay out here so I have someone to blame if you get into trouble ... and you owe me an almond Snickers."
"I can stay...." John says as he glances to Diego, "...besides this will give me a chance to follow the hockey game while you poor saps dig around in the vehicle for our missing stuff." The last part is added with a smile in order to keep the mood light.
OOC: I'm going to assume that John has some small amount of currency on him for roleplaying purposes. If not, then ignore the next part.
John digs into his pocket for some change. Pulling out a folded dollar bill, he lays it on the lip of the window outside the guard's post. "There! That should get you whatever you want from a vending machine. That's gonna have to be good enough because I have no more change."

Looking back to the group, John nods. "Go grab our stuff! I'll just hang out hear and listen to the game for a bit."
Supernaturalist

Iona

"Thank you, officer, that's very kind of you. We'll be right back as soon as we find our meeting-materials." Iona gives the guard a smile before turning to walk inside the garage.

Waiting for Diego to move with her, she uses her keen vision to look around for any other signs of cameras besides the one near the entrance.

I hope this Mr. Duncan Redwood is smart enough to have us meet in the "sensor shadow" of a camera. I'd fancy we have 10-15 minutes tops before Mr. security guard starts wondering where we are. We'll have to keep this conversation brief and to the point.

After a few moments spent looking for cameras, the young cyborg looks to the back of the garage for any sign of their contact.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Thank you, so much. You don't know how much this means. We'll be right back as soon as we get the info we need I promise.", said Diego with a look of delight on his face. Being a struggling entrepreneur was one of the easier covers he'd adopted over the years. Down on your luck, harmless, and people were generally willing to help.

He looked over at Iona. "Come on let's hurry.", says Diego as he pulled Iona inside past the gate. Once inside, he kept up the act for the cameras being ever mindful of them without trying to draw attention. He knew where he was headed and what he needed to do. If there was a camera present, Iona could disable it. From past experience, parking garages always had a dark spot. Duncan hopefully found one for them.

As they proceeded to the rendezvous, Diego made lower toned chitchat with Iona. Nothing out of the ordinary for two struggling entrepreneurs. It was a business after all, so business talk wasn't exactly out of place. This wasn't Diegos first clandestine meeting and it wasn't going to be his last. Even when they retook the city, he didn't plan to expose his dealings to the light of day. Once they catch sight of where they needed to go, Diego made his way over with Iona inquiring of where she might have left the info they needed.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:John is going to get stared at by a bored security guard. Not much more than that will happen. As such we will focus on Diego and Iona.
The parking garage isn't dark and foreboding like in the movies, but it is poorly lit. While it isn't packed, there are plenty of cars here. You see a few cameras. Not many. It is difficult to get lines of sight, with segregated nooks for different paygrades and support pillars complicating visual security in addition to the lesser obfuscation of vehicles.

Duncan had informed Diego to arrive at the meeting location at eight sharp. You came early to mitigate the risk of missing this deadline due to navigational or simple human intervention. Such as never having visited this building before and the hinderance a guard could have posed. As you are traversing the parkinglot, a couple minutes before eight, the elevators on the far side of the building open up. Light spills out, and a man exits.

He looks similar to the picture Dr. Applegate showed you of Duncan. The man looks a little older. His brown hair is now half gray, and the blend of colors is an unattractive mess. His long curly hair is pulled back into a ponytail by a green elastic band. On his face are a pair of large lensed brown wireframe glasses. He wears a bland grey stop, and atop it a white knee length coat. Which makes his attire fit the mold of a stereotypical doctor or scientist from TV and movies.

Not paying either of you any mind Duncun fast walks through the parkinglot, his head tinted slightly down and away from cameras as he passes them by. The man was being way too obvious about trying not to be noticed. You can easily watch him as he hustles his way to an out of the way nook with only one car currently parked in it.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

They had a minute or two before meeting up with Duncan. No need to spook the man who already had a big look at me on old videos if anything goes wrong type movement. It struck Diego he should have asked to meet off site, but even then he suspected the man would be just as awkward. He had to be approached with great care. It was getting to the critical phase now where any wrong move would ruin everything. They were so close to cultivating an inside man.

Diego paused a little past the spot where Duncan ducked into and started patting his body. He mumbled something too low for others to hear, but in the event anyone could understand him, it translated into Oh s***. Where did I put those f****** keys.. Making sure Iona and him were both out of the way, he looked around at the camera placements plus lines of sight under the guise of searching for his keys. "Hold a minute. Gotta make sure I didn't forget anything else.", says Diego to Iona in the same business like tone he adopted earlier.