For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Recovery

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 2
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Iona stops walking when Diego begins to go on about his keys. She had been inconspicuously looking around for cameras from time to time as she slowly makes her way deeper into the underground garage.

When their contact ducks into the nook, Iona waits a few seconds before assessing which, if any, cameras might have a "line-of-sight" into the nook. "Do you think you might have dropped your keys when you got out of the car?" She asks Diego in her normal, soft tone. "Maybe we should look over by the car.", She adds.
OOC: Here's a perception roll to see if she can determine which (if any) cameras might be a threat to their rendezvous in the nook. Perception roll: Supernaturalist: 1D20+10 → 13(3 + 10). So, a 13 total.

Iona will wait for Diego's cue before actually moving into the nook to meet the contact.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

You move past the recess in the garage wall where Duncan stands near a small collection of cars, breaking line of sight with him. Carrying on with your deception, you cannot see how he reacts to your presence or the parts you play.

There are cameras in the parking garage. You could see them spread out on the ceiling of the structure. The same reflexive domes that pervade the city and it's buildings. They are not numerous here, however, and Diego can see the potential for someone entering and leaving the garage without being picked up by them. As there is plenty of cover in the parking garage. A person would still have to be careful though.

As for cameras that might be able to peer into the nook Duncan had chosen for your meeting place, there were none that had the proper angle.
OOC wrote:There is enough cover in the garage for someone to sneak around without the need for Hide in Plain Sight or extraordinary abilities. You would still need to make a Stealth check.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted, but fine
Form: Solid
Trauma Trigger: 1

Diego nodded. "Good idea. Gotta get moving.", remarks Diego. He checks the burner phones time to ensure it is nearly on the dot of the meeting time and heads over to the meeting spot. All the while, he pretends to be on the look out for his "keys". Reverting to stealthy type movement now would only draw attention to a trained investigator, even more so than there blatant lie easily proved false, so he doesn't try to pop out of cameras range of views intentionally.

Once getting close enough he speaks in a low voice aimed at Duncan. "Are we too early?", inquires Diego of Duncan. "A mutual friend passed your number to us in the hopes you may be able to help us.", says Diego by way of introduction. Once he felt they were outside of the cameras viewing range, he took up a more meeting a CI type posture. Reassuring, yet cautious. Inoffensive, yet not trying to fake being harmless. In case Duncan was the jumpy sort, which he seemed to be earlier, Diego didn't want to spook him too much. He still had to get the introduction made though.
Insight 19 to get a read on Duncan. Anything that could prove useful for the interaction like his mood, if he is super paranoid, etc. The roll was a 12, so if Expertise(Spycraft) given its a clandestine meeting would be more applicable it would come out to 24.
Supernaturalist

Iona

"Hmmm....where could they be?" Iona mumbles to herself, joining Diego in the ruse. She meanders towards the nook with her eyes "searching" the garage floor for the non-missing keys. Once well inside the obscured area, she joins Diego but waits for him to address the contact. She doesn't want to stress him any more than he seems to be. While Diego speaks to Duncan, Iona glances back out into the garage area looking (and listening) for any signs that anyone might be approaching.
I'll include a perception roll just in case. Here's the roll: Supernaturalist: 1D20+10 → 20(10 + 10).
So, a total of 20.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Entering the segregated nook for a certain subset of employees, you see Duncan standing out of line of sight of the entrace to the nook. Half way to one of the sections corners. His back to the wall. The man's wrinkly, hairy knuckled hands hold a smart phone which he is pretending to look at. Head down, but eyes up at the entry way that you come through. It was probably good that you did not try to sneak your way in, because going unnoticed by the botanist would have been difficult without cover, misdirection, or use of preternatural ability.

As you approach he watched the two of you, raising, then lowering, raising, and lowering the phone in his hands. As though uncertain if he should keep pretending he is doing something on his smartphone ... and doing a bad job of it. When Diego announced that you are the people he is here to meet, that decides it for him, and Duncan puts the phone away.

"Hello. Yes. I noticed the number. How is ... Jake ... doing? I haven't seen ... him ... in a while."

There are awkward pauses around the name 'Jake' and the noun 'him', as Duncan notably pauses to think before and after the words.
OOC wrote:It would be an Insight check for Diego. Duncan's demeanor is what you would expect of a scientist called upon for some cloak and dagger spygames: He's on edge and out of his element. The man is also "working for the enemy" in a sense and not "fighting the good fight". So you might be here to "silence" him for all he knows.

For Iona's perception, no one appears to be watching you. You didn't see anyone else in the parking garage either. Just the three of you.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2->1

"Jake's doing good. He mentioned how he missed meeting up with you for a bite to eat from time to time. He had rave reviews of food tracks and some of the cafe's around here. He is still into plants and says you might be able to help us with getting one in particular that's particularly hard to find. My friend and I heard only good things about it, minus the occasional allergic reactions. We are looking into getting into farming. Speaking for myself, I have a keen interest in feeding all the poor souls out there I can.", responds Diego with a nod.

Dr. Applegate and Duncan seemed to share the same jitters when it came to this sort of thing. Diego thought it best not to put them out of his comfort zone too much. It was already on precarious ground.

Diego didn't push much further and only gave a reassuring smile. Unfortunately, he didn't have the security specs of the building so didn't know if there was any listening devices around. He also had to put Duncan at ease a little more, so he did his best to not look threatening or as lethal as he truly was.
Persuasion 14..not going to let a natural 1 stand
Persuasion 15 + 10 = 25 minus any aid from Iona
Supernaturalist

Iona

Looking from Diego to Hunter, Iona adds her "two-cents". "Yes, we would like to thank you in advance for your help. If you have any special tips regarding the care of the plant, then we would appreciate that as well." Iona's voice is already naturally gentle, but she keep it even softer - just above a whisper - so that only the three of them could hear it.

Iona conjures up a smile as she speaks further with Duncan. "I don't wish to rush you, but we are expected at a meeting. The security guard at the front of the garage has been gracious enough to allow us to look for some missing materials in our automobile. We don't wish to keep him waiting long."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Duncan's brown eyes, made large by his oversized glasses, narrow as he listens to the two of you talk. Not in an accusatory or suspicions fashion, but rather a confused 'what are you talking about' manner? After a long pause he slowly nods his understanding. Then his eyes abruptly widen when he seems to come to the realization of what you are here for, and what you might be asking of him. 'Help' was very general, and vague, leaving the man to make assumptions as to what was expected of him. Duncan leaped to, not quite the worst assumption, but certainly things that put him in harms way.

"What kind of help do you need? I can't just go in and start grabbing thing. I'll get caught!"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1

Diego gives him a reassuring nod. "We aren't looking for you to grab anything. All we need help with is information on the security around it and someone to help us get in and out through a back door preferably. We can deal with the grabbing if you can tell us where it is and how we can get there. We don't have any floor plans of the building or the labs.", says Diego now quietly. He pauses to let the request sink in. Duncan was already jumpy. If pressed, he would give the group up in a heart beat most likely. They still needed him though.

"We wouldn't be asking you for help if there was another good way to do it. It will feed so many people.", adds Diego. Diego went for the flattery technique. He knew there was other ways, but none easier. If Duncan was anything like Dr. Applegate, he would be tempted by his sympathies for the helpless hopefully.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Iona knows that before there are any further questions, Duncan has to agree to the group's scheme. "Mr. Redwood, your help in this endeavor would greatly benefit those of the city who have been marginalized by the war. I know this whole scheme may be unnerving to you, but you are doing the right thing. This corporation you work for will scarcely miss a mere portion of the Viridi Mater. It could potentially help so many."

She pauses just a moment, glancing briefly back over her shoulder in the direction of the guard post. "We are a little pressed for time. Could you provide us with the necessary information now or do you need time to gather it?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Between Diego's vague requests and Iona's pushing him to be quick, Duncan raises up his hands and half shouts in exasperation.

"I don't know what you expect from me! Do you want me to draw you a map of all fifty floors? I can get you some visitor passes. They would expire after eight hours and only grant you access to the first twenty floors."

When Iona states what you are after, the aging scientist stares at her for a few seconds. Then blinks. Apparently having had no idea what you were really after until that point.

"Viridi Mater, that's what you are after? Jeeze! Did you know that Stronghold has classified that as a biological weapon? I have no idea how Autumn Dawn convinced them to hand it over. Anyway ... it is in storage on floor thirty. It has it's own personal portable storage unit. Just keep it in that and it'll be fine until you can get it to ... Jake."
Supernaturalist

Iona

So with visitor passes they could get to the 20th floor. The objective was a full 10 floors above that. This was going to be more difficult than previously thought with more planning probably necessary.

Viridi Mater a biological weapon? I'll have to speak with Applegate about this. What properties would compel Stronghold to classify it as such?

Iona looks to Diego. "I think Mr. Redwood has been quite helpful. Do you require anything else of him?"

The young cyborg's mind was processing all the info. She could not help escape the conclusion that this would be much more difficult than first anticipated. If Stronghold really does see this specimen as highly dangerous, then it is improbable that they would turn it over to Autumn Dawn without insuring that significant safety protocols were in place. The thought of trying to infiltrate to the 30th floor without adequate information conjured up images of crossing a minefield without a map.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1

"Thank you. Visitor passes will work. Is there any guard patrols on the thirtieth floor or particularly high security?", inquires Diego. They knew where it was now, they needed to know what security they might face. "Also, is there a key pad or something we will need to crack to get into the storage area?", further presses Diego.
After today's events getting into Diegos headspace is not terribly easy, but wanted to get a post in to move forward.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When Iona gives the verbal que for them to leave Duncan begins to relax. Then Diego presses for more questions and he tenses up again. Momentarily caught off guard by the mixed signals he looks back and forth between the pair a couple times before anwsering.

"One or two guards check each floor every half hour to and hour. I couldn't tell you if there is a scheduel. They seem to mix it up as far as I can tell. Then again I don't tend to monitor that sort of thing."

"There is an electronic lock with keypad and ID card reader at the specimen storage door. Guards, researchers .. not research assistants ... and executives would have the access level to get in. If you can't break into the room, you will want to consider lifting a key card from one of those people."

More nervous now, Duncan begins to wring his hands together.

"How do you want me to get the visitor passes to you?"
Supernaturalist

Iona

"Would you be able to me one of us at a cafe' or small restaurant? Perhaps tomorrow at noon?" Iona shrugs her shoulders and gives Duncan an is-that-ok look.

"You name the place! It might be best if it's in a less crowded part of the city. Driving through an area like that should make it easier to determined if you are being "tailed."

The young cyborg shoots a quick glance back towards the guard post. Clearly she is concerned with taking too much time.