[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Recovery

Post by Sakuro »

Iona, having taken the time to walk around an look over the food crops already planted Iona notes there are two broad groups. One is dedicated to fast growing plants such as lettuce and spinach. Something to ensure there is a crop ready for harvesting at the end of the month so that your base personnel have food to eat right away. Then there are more long term, yet prolific crops to round out dietary needs such as tomatoes, potatoes, and corn. In the area designated for biofuel crops there is just a big murky vat of algae with finely adjusted lighting in that area. In the area set aside for research specimens, Iona notes some items that her subordinates had requested. Nothing of true significance, except for two items that weren't on her request list, and there are on one of each:

A snowdonia hawkweed. Possibly the rarest plant in the world. Botanists thought it extinct until in 2002 when then they were rediscovered growing on a mountain slope in Wales.

A desmodium gyrans. Often times referred to as the Dancing Plant or sometimes as the telegraph plant. It actually moves its leaves in jerky motions when exposed to direct sunlight, warmth or vibration – hence their reaction to music. Its leaflets, each of which is equipped with a hinge at the base that allows it to move, rotate along an elliptical path.

When Iona get protective of her the laboratory that was her's, and more or less on loan to the supporting staff that worked under her in Null's name, Dr. Applegate is quick to respond, a a measure of worry in her voice as though assuming she had offended Iona with her proposal.

"I was just trying to appraise you of the options. No intent to steal your lab I .. uh ... ma'am. Sorry. I don't know what your title is or how to address you."

That last sentence trails off awkwardly. She fidgets for a while, trying to find something for her hands to do, until Diego comments on feeding the homeless and inquires into the volume of crops they could grow.

"Well ... with the seeds we have now, we could sustain a soup kitchen or two. That'd do some good. But ... if you're willing to go a step further there is this algae that Dr. Sokolov and I were working on: Viridi Mater. It is a Super Algae, really. Imperator had us working on it as a worst case scenario option for sustaining the world's population in the event all other food sources were gone. If you could get ahold of some of that, I could set us up to feed an entire ward!"

When she start talking about this project, Viridi Mater, Dr. Applegate has a note of hopefulness in her voice. Then, as she mentions feeding the entire Ward, some energy and excitement at the prospect enters her demeanor. Her arms fling outwards, then upwards, whirling about dramatically. The words 'entire ward' are almost yelled. She freezes at that, however, seeming to realize that she was yelling and waving her arms around like a mad woman. At that point her arms drop to her sides. Raising a fisted hand to here mouth she clears her throat.

"Stronghold got ahold of the algae. I've been informed that they've given it to a agricultural conglomerated called Autumn Dawn. They have a branch here in Hadron City and will probably be studying it already. It is a finicky plant. They won't be able to do anything with it right away. But I know how to handle it."

Dr. Applegate nods slowly, eyes narrowing as she looks off to the middle distance behind Diego and Iona. She seems lost in some introspection for a moment before startling out of it, eyes wide.

"Oh! Right! The list."

... and then she turns around and briskly moves to side room at the back of the Greenhouse. While Catherine searches the room for the list of plants that Iona had requested Diego and Iona are left alone. An opportunity to talk among themselves for a couple minutes, if they had the want to do so. When Dr. Applegate returns she strides up to the pair and offers up a sheet of white paper with printed black text on it.
OOC wrote:If Diego would like to try to translate the meaning of 'Viridi Mater', you may make an Expertise Linguistics check.

If you want to go the food route, and want to get ahold of Viridi Mater, you'll be able to push on Diego idea to recruit people in mass. You'd be able to sustain an army of 50,000 people. Going this route, you'd dedicate this entire month to that end. Starting with a mission to acquire Viridi Mater. Additionally you'd need to do some leg work setting up your recruiters. In order for the people you recruit to be more than fodder, you would need to train them up. That would require using Dominion, which you'd get from the Viridi Mater mission. You would also need to acquire weapons for them. That could be another mission and another means of earning Dominion.

This would also be your army. Iona, Diego, and Peter would have command over it. The Food Resource that your HQ's Greenhouse produces with Viridi Mater would be dedicated to sustaining that 50k force and not be useable for anything else.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 1
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

With Iona trusting Diego to choose the use for the greenhouse space, she meanders around the nearby area to examine the plants. Waiting until Diego and Dr. Applegate to finish their conversation, Iona glances over her shoulder at the young woman. “These two plants here…the Snowdonia Hawkweed and the Desmodium Gyrans…what is their primary use?” Iona then looks back at the two specimens - analyzing their structure - while waiting for a response.

When Dr. Applegate leaves to compile Iona’s list, the young cyborg approaches Diego. “So Ascendant, what do you feel is the best use for the greenhouse space?
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted, but fine
Form: Solid
Trauma Trigger: 1

The prospect of feeding a ward was intriguing. Not because of all the people it could help out of their current plight of hunger as most would view it and Dr. Applegate most likely did as well. Diego had another mission. Trying to bring the cult followers of Imperator's memories on board would give them believers in the cause. Of course, how well armed they were and the ability to control them was a big variable. They could try and recruit the Jaguars or Reapers, both had their own agendas though and while armed would demand concessions. If they could feed a ward and train up it's inhabitants who needed the food, they would have an army. Small in comparison to the missions of Stronghold forces, but it was something. Certainly and improvement over the limited soldiers Diego knew about in the city. Arming them was another matter which would need to be addressed.

Alone now with Iona, Diego kept his uncomfortable form, but shifted his voice back to the heartless tone it normally had. "The potential fighters gained by feeding a ward would assist us in providing forces to Praetor Null. Now that we have been reassigned from our previous mission and cannot attempt to convert her forces to our cause, we need to find alternatives. In a months time, it will become more difficult to maneuver in the city when they implant tracking chips in all residences. Even if some of the fighters prove useless in combat, they will make excellent pawns. Starve to death or die fighting with a full stomach provides good motivation.", remarks Diego in hushed tones as not to be overheard.

"All of this will need to be under cover of humanitarian effort so as not to arouse suspicion. If not tasked as a recruiter, the people providing food should view it as an act of mercy.", adds Diego in the same hushed tone."Unless you can see another way for us to add forces to Praetor Nulls plan that is more reliable and sizable, recruiting in mass through food lines would give us a desired force. Once gather, arming and training will follow.", continues Diego laying out the plan. Iona, being who she was so far, may prove again to cause additional complications. Hopefully Sokolov had sorted out the empathic side of her.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Despite Diego’s callous opinion of the potential recruits, Iona must admit that The Cause needs foot soldiers in large numbers if it is to succeed. When she learns of the tracking chips, the need to recruit takes on a new urgency.

If we begin to feed a portion of the city, rumors will spread and soon we will have more to feed. This is fine and will only improve our recruitment efforts. But if Stronghold has spies, which we must assume they do then it is likely that they will become aware.” The young cyborg’s eyes drift about as she considers the all the possible impediments to their recruitment effort.

I’m not sure how long we could keep it a secret that we are recruiting from the masses of starving homeless, but we need to obscure it as long as possible.” Iona then looks back to Diego. “I’m sure that you have laid the foundation for a group of agents at your command. Is it reasonable to assume that some will be allocated for counter-espionage as we quietly begin our recruitment effort? I realize it will be impossible to conceal it forever, but we must try.

Giving Diego time to answer, she nods before asking further questions: “Where will we get adequate equipment for the recruits? And just as importantly who will train such large numbers? Could Colonel Costa and her direct subordinates be approached to do so? What if she refuses?
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

As Iona spoke, Diego tried to be patient. Using the food to feed an army wasn't exactly his strongest desire. It would do wonders securing him a spy network in the city as food was currency in a city being starved by invaders imposing their will on a city that was once utopia. Spy networks took time though. Time they didn't have. "We do not have time to time to be timid. Stronghold is going to have a big advantage on us soon and even operating out of this location will become risky. The cause needs more bodies, even if they serve as human shields for the proper forces.", says Diego reverting back to his native monotone voice devoid of emotion. When he speaks of human shields there is no signs in the slightest that it has any emotional effect on him.

"Stronghold will certainly take notice, but they suffer the same failings everyone who opposed Imperators agents outside the barrier did. They care. They have sentimental attachments to charity and kindness. No one thinks twice when a food kitchen is open by religious people feeding the hungry. Would you waste valuable resources to infiltrate a possible food kitchen when there is elements in the city who are more clear threats? You also underestimate the abilities of Praetor Null's forces. We are not simple fighters. We fight smart and act smart.", begins Diego in a speech that if he ever did change his tone would sound almost hopeful. Instead, it sounded almost like a computer reciting it except less electronic.

"Who would think twice when some homeless in a soup kitchen start talking crazy and hopeful things? No one cares about the homeless or the tossed aside by society. It makes them perfect recruitment targets. My peronsal force development efforts are in progress, but Praetor Null is my master and delivering to him possibly tens of thousands of fighters serves him better. Weapons and arming the new force we can figure out. Having several thousand partly trained fighters gives us some currency. Training we already have the staff. They know what we fight for and are willing to put their lives on the line for it.", remarks Diego.

His next words betray the feeling that his tone and demeanor does not. "Never doubt their loyalty to the cause and Praetor Null. You have been online enough to know better by now and the obedience we all give to our master. This is not the forces of some narcissistic mad scientist whose loyalty to Imperator faltered. We will do what needs to be done to take back the city.", says Diego making sure each word was clearly spoken for the fullest effect.

Changing to the next subject, Diego kept going. "All of his will be for nought if we cannot get that plant from the lab. I trust you will not falter or let sentiment for those in our way cloud your actions. Certainly, we want to be as quiet as possible about the deed, but that still means we may need to silence witnesses or people who slow us down without a second thought of mercy.", adds Diego with the hint clearly referring to the old man.
Supernaturalist

Iona

The young cyborg listens to Diego without interrupting him. In this case, there wasn't much with which she disagreed. Though she still didn't trust Null to be the sole power of leadership, for all practical purposes it didn't matter what her feelings were. Everyone seemed to be working for Null directly or indirectly. And as for Doctor Sokolov, well, her sentiments towards him were different now. What that meant for the future...who could tell? Only time.

"I shall do whatever it takes to succeed. And that involves following your orders. But if you, like Sokolov and Null, expect me to sneak around and handle weapons like some sort of secret agent or soldier, then I must be trained. Sokolov did not create me with knowledge of such things. To send me off on missions that require such skills and then to patronize me when I fail is poor leadership. I am a physician and scientist by nature. These military skills that I seem to need have not been placed within my databanks, though I do not know why."

There is a bitter and resentful tone in her voice. And for the first time, she never refers to her creator as "Master" or "Doctor", but merely by his last name.

"But rest assured Ascendant, I have no qualms about destroying whoever obstructs our purpose....whether they be man, woman, or child."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Iona wrote:"... I have no qualms about destroying whoever obstructs our purpose....whether they be man, woman, or child."
It is at this point, with tension having built up in the exchange between Iona and Diego that Dr. Applegate returns with a folder plump with papers in one hand. She pauses as she come back to hearing Iona's declaration of her willingness to destroy all obstacles in her way. Catherine stops, about a couple meters away from the pair looking uncertain. Slowly she raises up the fold.

"I brought the list of flora you requested, and information concerning their intended use."

Her mouth opens half way then closes a couple times before she finally points over her left shoulder and half turns to walk back into the obscured nook she had retreated to earlier.

"If I'm interrupting I can ..."

... the sentence trails off there as looks between the cyborg and the man who had become a machine. The mousy botanist seemed poised to flee the scene if given the opportunity to do so.
OOC wrote:If you want to continue your conversation in private Catherine will walk into the other room.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Having one of the people who shouldn't be in on the recruitment overhear the final bit was disconcerting to say the least. To keep the key person at ease, Diego resumed his tone previously used with her. "Not interrupting at all Dr. Applegate. We were just discussing getting the plant and feeding as many as we can. The topic of some battles with the occupiers came up who might not want us to feed so many people. Society outside of Imperators influence sometimes fails to see the value in the greater good. It was the usual what if discussions. I wouldn't put it past Stronghold to try and use indoctrinated children against us.", remarks Diego. "Which makes it all the more important for us to get the algae from Autumn Dawn so we can start helping everyone.", adds Diego with as calming voice as he can emulate.

"You wouldn't happen to know who informed you about the algae being given to Autumn Dawn would you? They might be of help in getting us inside.", inquires Diego. With Peter still recuperating, getting in via technological means was going to be difficult. So, he would need to fall back on his less technological skills for the time being in hopes of Iona not being instantly spotted by Stronghold the moment she shows her face in any more developed part of the city.
Persuasion 20 to put Dr. Applegate at more ease.

Edit:
Deception 11, Insight 25 should have known better than to roll both in the same dice roller call.
Last edited by mrdent12 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supernaturalist

Iona
"I brought the list of flora you requested, and information concerning their intended use."

Her mouth opens half way then closes a couple times before she finally points over her left shoulder and half turns to walk back into the obscured nook she had retreated to earlier.

"If I'm interrupting I can ..."
"You're fine, doctor." Is all that Iona says. After Diego offers his "apologetics" for Iona's statement regarding the destruction of all-comers who get in the way of The Cause, the cyborg cannot help but have the faintest trace of a smile on her face. Are we now worrying about the sensitivities of this wallflower?

After taking a quick look at the list of plants and their desired uses, Iona ponders other possibilities based upon their chemical compositions.
OOC: It's doubtful that Iona knows off the top of her head the chemical makeup of these plants, but if not, she can research that back in her lab. Would it be possible for me to extrapolate uses for the plants beyond their intended use and also evaluate how easy or difficult it would be to put them to such uses. If I have to speak to Peter in order to round out my evaluation,then I shall. He would be more knowledgable about the engeneering side of making chemicals.
"Oh...I forgot to say "thank you", doctor. I'm sure I'll find this information useful in my research."

Iona then listens (with interest) to Diego as he turns the discussion towards information regarding Autumn Dawn and the source of information about it.
OOC: Here's my intellect roll with a -2 penalty: Supernaturalist: 1D20+6 → 17(11 + 6). So, a total of 17.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:You forgot the Deception I requested Supernaturalist, so to save time I made it for you: Perception vs Diego Insight: 1D20+8 = [7]+8 = 15

Diego rolled higher. What this will mean is that Diego is able to pick up on the bitterness and resentfulness in Iona's tone, and connect it to her feelings about Dr. Sokolov. He's also able to note that she isn't using his "doctor" title, suggesting a lack of respect for her creator.
Supernaturalist wrote:OOC: Here's my intellect roll with a -2 penalty: Supernaturalist: 1D20+6 → 17(11 + 6). So, a total of 17.
One of Iona's concerns about the movement's direction is Praetor Null having too much power. That is partially why she has been supportive of Dr. Sokolov and why she wanted to court Anastasia as an ally.

When she thinks on it, from her experience Null frequently gives away power and authority they could horde for themselves. Dr. Sokolov is allowed to act largely independently. The PCs are almost an autonomous faction of themselves. Null gave the PCs permission to forge alliances and build a personal army that would further diminish their direct power.

Null gives a very general assignment, then steps back allowing people like the PCs, Dr. Sokolov, and Colonel Costa, to push that goal however they want. Null as an individual is very powerful by virtue of their skills, knowledge, and abilities. But their political power is in the hands of other people.

The counterpoint to this is that when Null is challenged, their authority is disrespected, or someone does not follow through on an order the consequences can be very harsh. For example Iona was physically assaulted when she called Anastasia a Praetor, suggesting she is Null's equal.

Until recently Dr. Sokolov has shielded Iona from Null's displeasure and probably suffered because of it. It is also when she used her powers publicly, something Null said to avoid, Iona was subjected to Dr. Sokolov's torture/murder demand, and forced to helplessly watch people die of thirst when she refused to comply.
Diego steps in to try to cover for Iona, and help his female companion maintain a positive image in the mind of your head botanist. The large eyed woman blinks a couple times, rapidly, then looks between the faintly smiling Iona and the false reassurances from Diego. Slowly she begins to shrink inward, scrunching up her shoulders a bit.

"I ... I see. Well ... uh ... that is to say I ... I ... I know some things about Autumn Dawn. You ca-can ask me. Anyth-thing I ca-can't tell you I can ... maybe ... find out. My friend, I mean contact, is ... um ..."

Dr. Applegate glances off to the side at that, drawing out the 'um' for a few seconds.

"... that is they're .. uh, difficult to reach. And shy! Yes. They're shy and they don't react well to people they don't know."
OOC wrote:It is worth reminding you that Iona is supernaturally beautiful and Diego usually floats around the base as a malevolent black cloud.

You also may roll Insight checks at this point if you like.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

If Diego noted Ionas change of sensibilities, he didn't let it on. In any other possible asset or ally, he would take it as a boon for converting them to his side as he had done before when out in the field while the bubble was up. With Iona though, she didn't seem the sort to come to Praetor Null's way of thinking. Still, it gave a hint of some space between the android and its creator.

His immediate concern was Dr. Applegate. He needed information and she was seemingly less than forth coming. "You don't have to worry about anything from us. I can assure you of that. Without your efforts we would not have the food to eat here and fuel to run the generators. You are perhaps one of the most vital personnel of the base. My native form is what I clearly prefer to be in, but felt this visage would put you better at ease. In my previous experience, I have worked with many shy people. So understand your hesitation.", said Diego in his mix of Arabic and Spanish accent he used when trying to charm assets. He tailored his words to the situation of course, but with the intent to put her at ease.

"You have proven yourself loyal to the cause, so I will respect your request for your friends confidentiality. I am not going to lie to you though. There is a lot going on in the city as you are aware. Any slight misstep or even slightly inaccurate piece of information could prove ruinous not just to this base, but to the cause overall. Everyday, Stronghold sinks this city further from the paradise it once was. If your knowledge on this matter is as good as your skill with plants though, I will pose my questions to you as much as I would prefer it directly.", continues Diego. He could pull rank, try to force her into helping, and other more brutish tactics. With her though, he thought he try the softer touch initially. If the information wasn't satisfactory, he would need to take other actions.

Taking a moment to assess her responses such as body language tone, speech patterns, etc he poses his questions. "Do they know what the security is like in the building or where the algae is being held? Also, is there any special containment gear we need to bring or would the lab have the gear such that it is easily accessible? Furthermore, is there any assistance they could render to help us get into the facility without compromising them if possible? The benefits of getting the algae are substantial, so some risk would be warranted.", inquires Diego.

Insight 16, Deception 17, Persuasion 31
I rolled them together again without thinking. Next time I will roll one at a time.
Insight to see Dr. Applegates state of mind/vibes, Deception to see if she's lying, and Persuasion if possible to make her more cooperative.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Being a physician by nature, Iona looks upon Dr. Applegate with concern. Unsure whether Applegate’s reaction is a physiological problem or a psycho-somatic one, Iona steps a little closer to the stuttering botanist. “My dear, are you alright? You seem terribly distraught. Could I get you something to drink? Would some herbal tea and honey calm your nerves?Poor thing. And I thought I was sensitive.

The young cyborg does not crowd the jittery doctor, nor does she reach out and touch her. But her physician’s instincts “kick in”. And she seems legitimately concerned about Applegate’s odd, anxious behavior.
OOC: Sorry about not including the Deception roll last time. I’m not sure if you requested an Insight roll from me or mrdent12 (or both), so I’ll include one. Supernaturalist: 1D20+10 → 14(4 + 10). So, a total of 14.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:The Insight check was optional, and the opportunity was pointed out for both of you.

Both Diego and Iona pick up on this: Dr. Applegate isn't withholding information in an effort to hinder you. You get the impression that, after Iona's villainous monologue, Catherine is now scared of Iona or what she might do and is trying to protect her friend from someone she believes may harm them.
Dr. Applegate's eyes remain mostly on Iona, and it seems to take some effort for the woman to briefly pull her gaze away to look at Diego when he talks. Despite this she nods slowly on occasion as the former spy speaks, as if things he was saying made sense. She appears to loose some of the tension in her body language. That is until Iona moves towards her offering her tea and honey. At that she shrinks away as though being threatened with poison.

Catherine's face scrunched up a little, as though bracing for something terrible. When whatever she had imagined didn't manifest into reality she relaxes again. She takes a breath and then begins addressing Diego's questions.

"The Viridi Mater should be in a container suitable for transport. They'll likely keep it in a special 'warm storage' room by itself. Storing and cultivation can be tricky and you don't want any cross contamination."

She pauses and looks off to the side when Diego asks about Autumn Dawn's security and using Dr. Applegate's contact to aid in the mission.

"Um .. security? Of course you'd need to know about security. Uh ..."

The botanist freezes for a handful of seconds before finally speaking in a rush.

"I-don't-want-my-friend-to-get-hurt."
OOC wrote:While Iona hasn't acted mean towards Dr. Applegate, she is still left with that 'I will destroy all who stand in my way.' comment from Iona. Iona hasn't done anything to address that. She waved it off as something she was fine with Catherine having heard.

In order to get Dr. Applegate to reveal her contact's identity, the person with more detailed information, she's going to need to be convinced of their safety. Especially from Iona.

Now, you do not need her contact's information. You can do the legwork yourselves. But it would save time, and possibly make things easier, if you had the contact working with you and supplying you information.
Supernaturalist

Iona

Please doctor…”. Iona says in her softest tone. “…Do not be afraid. You are one of us, and as such you have no reason to worry so…nor does your friend.

Those to whom I was referring are the zealots and their lackeys who would destroy Hadron City and all the progress we have achieved here. You…my good doctor are a contributor to that progress. And unless you were to collaborate with our enemies, you and your friend have absolutely nothing to worry about.” There is a sincerity in Iona’s tone, primarily because she believes in what she says.

Now it seems that I have gone and upset you. For that I apologize. You are still welcome to drop by my laboratory at any time for any reason.” The beautiful young cyborg smiles at Dr. Applegate and nods to Ascendant Gonzalez.

Ascendant, with your permission I’d like to return to the lab. We could iron out any details of the mission in private there, if you wish.

Iona pauses to await confirmation of her request.
OOC: Here's my Persuasion roll: Supernaturalist: 1D20+10 → 15(5 + 10). So, a 15 total.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

It was an interesting change of pace. Diego had been the scary one generally and Iona the nice one. Whatever had happened to Iona while she was away clearly had an effect on her that was lingering. Having an inside person would be a great help in their thieving endeavor, so Diego needed to make sure they didn't lose that advantage. In his previous spying missions, inside assets helped a lot. There was a few where he was clueless on the technology involved, but the person who got him in took care of that bit.

Diego nods at Iona. "Please do return to your lab.", says Diego with a calculated hint of sooner rather than later.

Turning back to Dr. Applegate, Diego gives a comforting look. "I can assure you Dr. Applegate that we will not hurt your friend. While I confess I am ruthless when it comes to defeating Stronghold so we can reclaim the city, allies are equally valued. Iona has been through quite the ordeal recently, so please forgive her and trust me in that I would not allow her to go about hurting your friend. Their assistance would be of great help in getting the plant under your care so many forgotten people can be fed.", adds Diego.
Diego already rolled his persuasion, so not sure if can aid Iona. If he can, I'll edit in a roll.

persuasion 22