[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Sakuro »

It was fortunate that Hitori was not in his natural state, as the shaft was not very wide. As it was, it felt cramped with the two of you in your current forms descending. Hitori senses some small lifeforms. Bugs. But nothing of significance on the way down. Diego scrutinized everything, and other than finding the ladder's steps unusually sticky nothing stands out within the shaft itself. Touching down on the floor you have enough space to maneuver around, but the area still feels claustrophobic. The door that you find looks to be of sturdy metallic design with studs around the edges and a thick turn handle rather than a knob. When Diego reaches out for it, just before he is about to touch it, he feels a prickling of static.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage)
Form: solid

An electric door. It was either part of a security system that lacked visible cameras or the gem was behind it and acting up in some fashion. This whole world of outside normal human stuff was still settling in Diegos mind. One thing was certain though. Someone put sensors by the hatch and you don't put sensors if you aren't going to monitor them in some fashion.

"You know when hooking up with a naked with a hot girl on the carpet you sometimes feel a little shock opening the door to get a beer afterwards? I didn't see no naked girls or their apartment carpets around here and I am starting to feel that on the weird door. Boris better not be messing with us.", says Diego backing away a bit. At the same time, he looks around for any air vents or the like to get around the door trying to make it look like a fools paranoia in order to keep selling the character. He wasn't terribly worried about cameras as he hoped he would have spotted them by now.

There was only one way through for both of them and he didn't like it at all. "Unless you got better ideas, one of us is going to have to touch it to turn that wheel.", adds Diego hoping Hitori has an idea.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:1
Cnd: Normal
PP:0
Sakuro wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pmIt does not take much effort for Iona to bring up a running video feed of Peter that follows his movements from the exterior of the building, to the main room, and eventually the cafeteria. There he seems to be inspecting the foot stocks.
Iona's eyes shift from the video feed to her security droids. "You two!...", she says as her fingers point out specific robots. "Go to the elevator-doors. No one is to come through them without permission from either myself or Dr. Sokolov."

After watching them depart, her eyes return to the video feed for a few seconds as she watches Peter's movements. Satisfied for the moment, she returns to her computer-console. She looks up from time to time only to eye Colonel Costa's chamber.

What is the nature of the this energy that is causing the Colonel's temperature to rise as well as exacerbating the storm?

She begins to type away on the keyboard for several minutes before walking over to a nearby table where she picks up a clipboard, some paper, and a pen.

It always helps me to visualize when I write.

The young cyborg begins to ponder any experiments that might give her insight into the characteristics of the exotic energy flowing through Colonel Costa and fueling the storm.
OOC: Here's my Expertise: Science roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 25(10 + 15). So, a total of 25.
Camus

Hitori Zanzo

Post by Camus »

"Amazing that you never banged someone useful. You could have gone for a gear head, dunno. You go, I already took care of the latch, my arms are sore" the old man skin says.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 2->1

There was time for ruses and time for the straight forward approach. Diego felt confident There was no cameras. In fact, as best he could gather, there wasn't much of anyone down here for a bit. Keeping the hood up on his hooded jacket, Diego drops the whole appearance completely having his hands go back to black and face if anyone was gazing under his hoodie. He doesn't even bother trying to respond to Hitori.

He wasn't even sure if it would be possible, but drawing on his basic knowledge of electrical protection that he had seen in labs before, Diego tried to shift his body formation to something that would protect him. It wasn't easy. Keeping the appearance of clothes was hard enough, but willing his body to reform into some sort of electrical protection form proved taxing. If he could sweat, there would be a pool of water underneath him.

Hoping it worked, he reaches out to the turn handle. His face was pure black, so it couldn't give off any facial ticks of any kind, but his will power was being stretched. As best as was possible, he tried to turn the handle and hopefully open the door if he could keep up his protection and he guessed right on the electricity.
Power stunting off the morph effect
Immunity Electricity Sustained
[urlhttp://orokos.com/roll/737931]Strength check 6[/url] in case its needed.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Without any sort of communication, the two robots that Iona gives directions break away from her and walk out of the laboratory with their weapons held in an angled downward posture over their abdomens. Reaper remains silent, just watching. Monitoring the activity in the room and Colonel Costa's status with a neutral expression on her inhuman, seemingly mechanical, face.

When Iona goes looking for paper and pen, she finds neither. But she does find a tablet with a stylus. That is as close as she gets to simulating the tactile experience she felt inclined to stimulate her creative side. While studying the energy feeding into Costa, she notes that there is also some, though considerably less, being projected by the Colonel. Out into the work. The first energy signature seems raw. While that which leaves her appears filtered or refined into something more stable though less directed.

Aside from these observations, which Iona was already aware of even if she had not noticed the relationship previously, Iona feels that if she wanted to learn more she would need to first collect and contain samples of these energies so she could perform controlled experiments.

Diego clasps hold of the turn bar on the door with both hands, and black smoke that smelled like burning plastic and metal began to rise from his hands in small wiffs. The current flowing through the door was enough enough to burn through his protective insulation. It was happening slowly, but damage was still being built up over the time he spent in contact with it. This would have fried a normal human. Diego himself did not register the experience as painful, so much as an understanding that his structure was being harmed to a, presently, negligible degree. Still, the door was trapped. He remained cautious, opening it slowly. He felt the slightest tension on the door that made him pause. The barest crack was opened. Peaking through it he could see a line of transparent, almost invisible, cord extending away from the door to the shaped metallic box of a claymore mine set to face the door.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1

Of course, it couldn't be simple. Numeric keypad, electric door that could kill a man, and now a mine. Tapping into the Ascendent network, Diego relays a message to Peter. Someone is going to a lot of trouble to keep the gem away from people. We've had to rip out a hatch that had a keycode pad lock, open a door with electric current that is taxing my abilities, and now facing a mine trip wire. Anything you can dig up on this farm possibly. If the lab has external world network access, any information will be useful., conveys Diego adding the location of where they are.

Turning his attention back to the mine problem Diego turns his head to Hitori. "Can you believe this? Now a mine that will blow us up if we open this door. Looks like one of those from that video game Michelle is always playing, another chick I am banging thank you very much. Think she called it a Clay mine or something. Wasn't really listening to her if you know what I mean.", says Diego in the voice he had been using just incase there was listening devices yet his body conveying a much more serious posture. His mind ran through everything he could remember about bobby traps from his time attached to military units.
Expertise Military for any useful info he might have picked up.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:1
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Though the peace and quiet of working alone can be therapeutic at times, Iona finds herself wishing for 'like-minds' with which to share ideas. Though a genius in her own right, she is dealing with issues at the very boundary modern science.

If I could trust Peter in the lab, I'd value his advice on constructing a detector and container for this 'Energy X' flowing through Colonel Costa. Dr. Sokolov would no doubt have some crucial insight as well. Unfortunately this research must wait...more pressing issues at hand.

Iona returns to her computer-console and eyes the time on the clock. If the mission-team is successful, they will return in a few hours. If Dr. Sokolov has not returned, I shall be alone to greet them. The defenses must primed in case they display an extremely aggressive posture.

Iona then begins to look at the defense-assets available to the facility. After familiarizing herself fully with the them, she goes back and looks at any video footage or records of powers displayed by the Ascendants in the lab. I may only know a portion of their abilities, but it's better than nothing.

After collecting sufficient information, she begins theorizing on any alterations or additions to the lab's facilities that would 'harden' it against assault.
These are the rolls requested by Sakuro. There's quite a few rolls, so I'll group them by name:
Hitori:
Expertise: Science:Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 23(8 + 15)...a 23
Technology: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 22(13 + 9)...a 22
Insight: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 21(11 + 10)...an 11

Diego:
Expertise: Science: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 28(13 + 15)...a 28
Technology: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 14(5 + 9)...a 14
Insight: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 19(9 + 10)...a 19

Peter:
Expertise: Science: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 31(16 + 15)...a 31
Technology: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 24(15 + 9)...a 24
Insight: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 19(9 + 10)...a 19

Reaper:
Expertise: Science: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 35(20 + 15)...a 35
Technology: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 15(6 + 9)...a 15
Insight: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 12(2 + 10)...a 12

Colonel Costa:
Expertise: Science: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 25(10 + 15)...a 25
Technology: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 25(16 + 9)...a 25
Insight: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 17(7 + 10)...a 17

Mr. Chen:
Expertise: Science: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 30(15 + 15)...a 30
Technology: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 20(11 + 9)...a 20
Insight: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 28(18 + 10)...a 28

Praetor Null:
Expertise: Science: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 35(20 + 15)...a 35
Technology: Supernaturalist:1D20+9 → 13(4 + 9)...a 13
Insight: Supernaturalist:1D20+10 → 27(17 + 10)...a 27
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

*Fortunately,* Peter responded back to Diego, *Iona has quasi-relented and I am allowed to remain in the first floor for now. More importantly, I don't need the lab's systems for Internet access. I'll see what I can find.*

Hopefully, the nature of his internal abilities would be sufficiently different, or the farm itself not monitored as vigorously, for this to bring about the same situation as Levi had when searching before. Just to be safe, Peter decided to take a short trip out of Sokolov's lab before beginning the search from the information Diego gave him.
Investigate: 1d20+13 32
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Diego does not have any background in demolitions and as such he doesn't have any knowledge concerning disarming mines. However, the claymore is both well known in popular media and it's use is common. He is aware that the claymore mine is a directional anti-personnel weapon. It projects metal balls in one direction. Like a shotgun. Unlike conventional mines it can be command detonated from a distance by an operator or, as seen in this instance, set up to be victim activated by booby-trapping it with a tripwire firing system for use in area denial. It is often used in ambushes and as an anti-infiltration device.

Peter steps outside of the hospital and into the open tunnel of the Under City leading away from Dr. Sokolov's building. He has no issue connecting to the internet. Even from this depth. Using the information Diego provided, including an address, Peter is able to find out many boring and mundane things about the farm and the people who own it: a couple in their mid-thirties named Margaret and Johnathan Kenly. The couple themselves do not have any noteworthy history. Margaret has a college background that supports her current agricultural occupation, and Johnathan has been a farmer all his life having grown up with a multi generational family of farmers. They've ben married for nearly ten years and bought this farm five years ago.

The only thing of note that Peter digs up on the farm itself it that it is rumored to have been one of a handful of hidden ICBM launch sites constructed during the Cold War era. This is just a conspiracy theory, however, and if it is there have never been any such launches in the history of the property.
OOC wrote:Gathering this information will take Peter about two hours.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Two hours later, Peter contacted Diego. *What I found, is a farm run by farmers. Jonathan and Margaret Kenly. In their thirties, Mr. Kenly is a farmer from a long line of farmers. Mrs. Kenly went to college to become a farmer, apparently. They bought this farm just five years ago. Nothing slightly abnormal unless you count choosing to place yourselves just outside occupied Hadron City. There are some conspiracy theorists saying the farm was used for a concealed Cold War ICBM launch, but not the slightest evidence to back that up. I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and move ahead.*
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

*Fortunately,* Peter responded back to Diego, *Iona has quasi-relented and I am allowed to remain in the first floor for now. More importantly, I don't need the lab's systems for Internet access. I'll see what I can find.*
Good. We may not need to instill the fear of Praetor Null in her when we are all together again. Any information you can gather will aid in our return. I have a feeling Hitori and my assumed identity are no longer viable for reentry into the city., replies Diego over the link. Life was a game of chess one of his mentors once said. Diego sucked at the game itself. He preferred monopoly where he could steal. Going back into the city as their present faces might not be a viable option, so even if it took Peter a bit of time for research the information could be used as background for potential new covers.

Returning to the task at hand, part of Diego wished he had spent more time in explosives training now. Too late for regrets though. With his head, Diego looks behind the door, at Hitori, and than back behind the door indicating where the wire connected to the mine is. "Think you still have those master chef skills again for cutting. I won't look too pretty to the ladies with my face blown off.", says Diego. From his movements, despite the lack of eyes, he is clearly motioning to where the wire is.
Camus

Post by Camus »

"Hm, I guess its my turn now anyways uh?" Hitori said. Leaning and crouching where the wire was, he took aim placing his hand as if it were a blade, and concentrated on the wire. He breathed in, and released, breathed in and released. Breathed in a third time and struck the wire with a lightning fast chop.

Martial arts Expertise to cut the wire.
A 13 (https://orokos.com/roll/739015) wont "cut" it. BadumTsssss
Rerolling: 29 (https://orokos.com/roll/739016) now that's the stuff.
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Forgoing the use of a blade, Hitori opts to use his hand to cut the tripwire. The space for him to work within is small. A hand was not meat for cutting tripwires. This was a foolish undertaking, and his decades of training told him as much. Yes, a man may easily cut the wire with a hand chop. But he would also draw on the tension of the wire and trigger sensitive mine. He needed a blade. He should use a blade. But he didn't. Instead Hitori focused. He reached within himself and something horrible reached back at him. From depths of ravenous hunger and primal brutality he felt an instant of power consume his doubt. His conscious thought was overridden by instinct married to conditioning. The instant passed and Hitori found his hand on the other side of the tripwire, or where the wire hand been. But he remembered that feeling. That lose of control. He'd done what no man should have been able to do … and it had cost him a piece of the man he was.

For Diego, Hitori moves so fast he cannot track the motion of his stolen hand. There is a sort of unnatural unease about the action. On some instinctive level he feels as though a deeply wrong thing has occurred. As though nature has been perverted on some unseen fundamental level and it doesn't feel right. Whether he lingers on this feeling or not, it is there. The door itself opens without the danger of the mine detonation looming over your heads. But when Diego opens the door he sees somethings that were previous out of his line of sight due to the door blocking them. The first, and most immediate, is a rectangular camera pointing directly at the door he has just opened. The next is a cramped stairway that leads downwards. A dozen of so flights down without a sign of exit doors on the levels between yourselves and the bottom.
OOC wrote:Hitori made the task more difficult for himself than if he chose to use a proper cutting blade, as opposed to his hand. The DC was raised because the increased surface area of a hand makes for poorer cutting. You are also working with a very small amount of space to move your strike through. Less than an inch. The roll of 29 is high enough to meet the new DC though.

As a note, I would not have allowed this method of defusing the trap (neither karate chop nor sword swipe) if Hitori was not a superpowered person with physical enhancements and Expertise Martial Arts. Being superpowered changes the dynamic of what is possible for you to achieve. Just don't get silly with it.

Perception rolls please.
It felt like Iona had done all she could do for Costa, aside from adjust the levels of her cooling chamber ever down and again. To watch. To wait. So she moved on to what she could control. Something she could actively work to protect: her creator's labs. The place she was born in. The only home she could remember. She reflected on her own ememories. Brough up video footage of the Ascendants. How they looked, acted, and what they did. She looked for indicators of the abilities they flaunted and those they hid. The cyborg ran through recordings of scan during the Ascension process, and looked through earlier footage of Hitori and the monster's horrific deeds while a guest in Dr. Sokolov's home. She sifted through the banal and minute a for truths and weaknesses.

Iona knew she had limitations though. She worked best with, or at least desired, someone to share ideas without. To offer their own percpective and observations. She had no allies though. Only people who hated her master. People who might well become her enemies if she could not reason with them. The people she prepared her home's defenses to rebuff. So Iona turned to the laboratory's computer … and she began feeding her data into it ...
OOC wrote:I've sent Supernaturalist a general description of the facility's defenses, but will not be making that knowledge public. Just so you are all aware that he isn't pulling things out of thin air if Iona starts using or calling on things I have not previously described in this thread.

Supernaturalist, give me a Science, Technology, and Insight check for each person Iona is trying to create a countermeasure for. We'll use these to gauge how well Iona reads her targets and translates that into information that she inputs into the base computer. Iona is free to make her own observations from experience, and act accordingly, but this will reflect feeding the computer information it can use to offer assessments and advice.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Hitoris action would have set off all sort of alarm bells for him before everything that he had become and saw in his mindscape. Now that he felt natural in a cloud type form and had a strong feeling a planet eating creature was coming, the unnatural speed of Hitori just felt a little off. It was something he had to get used to eventually. Before his time was done, there was going to be a lot of things that would feel off and off was his normal in a way. Of course, the hand thing was a bit odd as Diego expected Hitori to use a sword.

Looking towards the camera and the stairs, Diego would have frowned if his face had features. Whoever may have been watching knew they weren't dealing with normal people now. His face gave that away if the ripping of the hatch and karate chop of the wire hadn't already. "Smile, you're on candid camera.", says Diego sarcastically as he surveys the path in front of him. If needed, he was ready to change into mist form and toss caution to the wind. Now wasn't the time to was on deception and trickery. Either way, that camera was going to be destroyed.
Perception 27
Holding further posting until the perception is resolved.