[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EnigmaticOne

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima
HP: 1

"Let me begin gathering the information." Peter responded. "It will probably affect the nature of the plan."

Mentally, he began to use his internal computer systems to link to the internet, before routing his connection between virtual private networks and other nodes to obfuscate his trail before delving into the St. Luke Hospital's network and files.
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: The Blight After

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:It is unlikely Levi/Iona would have had first hand experience with the Organ Care System, given his field of medicine, however they could have read about it. What Iona knows is as follows:

The OCS is being developed by a company called TransMedics Inc.

The OCS mimics the human body in that warm, oxygenated blood perfusion allows the device to maintain organs in a living, functional state. As a result, the lung breathes, the heart beats, and the liver produces bile.

It has a built in diagnostic assessment system that makes it possible to analyze organ function and viability.

The OCS is in the testing and review phase, and is not yet Federally approved, though select hospitals are granted rights to field test it. So it's reliability is not something well documented in real world or strenuous conditions.

The OCS requires either compatible blood for the organ, or a nutrient rich, oxygenated, blood substitute to sustain the organ.

The OCS requires power and may plug into an outlet or run off of an internal battery.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Peter opens himself up to a worl dof augmented reality. Before him is raw digital data shaped into visual representations of information. While he move on instict, and perhaps without much consideration of that act, the other's see him move his hands through air as if manipulating something. Or like a wizard from some fantasy story weaving a spell. Perhaps Peter was working a sort of magic because his senses draw in information from beyond the visible realm. Beyond the immediate area, and into some digital plane of existence people glimpsed into through their computers and the internet.

Peter traversed the web of the internet and found his way to a network node for St. Luke's hospital. His hands woven through the air manipulating digital screens and imputing commands via touch or motion as though the world were a mutable computer tablet. In one window-like lense of his vision he fished up a map of the hospital, a mirror of that which would have been found in the reception room to help visitors navigate. It had three floors topside and one underground.

Key points of interest rose into his vision as he sought them out. Storage for the OCS, the location of a patient being guarded by police, one Alister Renly who was scheduled for a surgery the following day. His picture and medical information hovered in a window of it's own. In yet another window of Peter's vision a search ran, based on the information they had received for Dutch for their target. Jacob Thatcher. He wasn't just a patient, Jacob was a nurse, and anesthesia, who worked at the hospital. He was scheduled for some X-rays tomorrow. According to his records he had broken a some bones in his left leg.
OOC wrote:I am not going to give you every minute detail about Jacob. If you want some specific information, ask, and I will let you know if it is in the hospital records. Same with the hospital. I am not going to describe it floor by floor and room by room, but you will know the layout. If you want to know about specific locations you may ask about them. Peter can find out where the OCS is stored, but he doesn't gain any information about the Organ Care System itself.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Peter broke his attention from the wondrous in-depth viewing of the augmented digital world. It had seemed impressive before, but without the barriers of Hadron City it was amazing. No wonder Dr. Sokolov had made such use of it.

He took out a regular computer tablet, the one he'd brought as preparation for his guise within Singapore, and placed it on the table. With a few handwaves and gestures, he turned it on and began feeding the information he'd found into the tablet for display.

"Is there anything else you want me to look at before I start inserting records?"
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted, but fine
Form: Solid

Diego digested all the information. Jacob working at the hospital complicated things as he would recognize any new faces which Diego and Iona certainly were. On top of that, he would know something was up when he wasn't taken to xray if he was awake. "The matter just got a little more complicated. For our covers to get in, we can not simply say we are doctors or someone who works at the hospital. Going in as just visitors will also raise suspicion if we visit the man to take him away.", muses Diego outloud.

Iona can come in as your grieving girl friend Peter. I am hesitant to take the place of an existing worker. When inserting records, add an orderly named Frank Jones age 28 or so as a new hire who just started a few days ago. Make sure he will be assigned to pickup Jacob plus have access to the machine if possible. We will need legitimate cover to move the machine. PLus, once we get there I will need your help to tap into any security cameras or systems.", requests Diego of Peter.

Turning his attention to Iona, he comes to the next bit. "We will need the mans blood as well as his heart to fuel the machine. How long and what conditions would you need to extract the heart and a good amount of blood? Also, would we have something I can administer to Jacob to knock him out?", asks Diego of Iona as if this was just a normal thing. Diego had given up on normal human behavior safe guards. If it got the mission done with minimal side effects, he was all for it.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:2
Cnd: Damaged (-2 to EM power-array)
PP:0

The young cyborg stands next to Peter, eyeing the tablet on the table. After a few moments, she speaks. "The OCS device, assuming it is operational, will be more than adequate for transporting the heart. As I said before, I'll only be performing a small portion of what would normally be a heart transplant procedure. So as not to bore you with details, I'll simply say that his body will be cooled to within roughly 10 degrees of freezing. He will be connected to a 'heart-lung' machine which will provide oxygen and nutrients to his body. This machine will also temporarily take over the function of the heart after I remove it. It will pump the remaining blood of the patient into the OCS device. Once the effusion of blood is almost complete the patient will be...mercifully euthanized by a lethal injection into his Carotid Artery." Iona's words slow as she utters this last sentence. Her eyes shift away the Ascendants. One does not need to be an interrogator to sense her guilt.

She stands silently for a few moments as if in a daydream, but then shakes her head as if to clear her thoughts. "Peter, can you find out when this patient is scheduled for his X-ray? Also, can you give me his body weight? I'll need it when I mix his tranquilizer. We'll have to to insure that "Frank Jones the orderly" picks him up on time." Glancing over at Diego, "Our problem is complicated by the fact that the patient is going for an x-ray and not surgery. I shall have to give you a pre-made injector of tranquilizer precisely made for the patient's body weight. It must be specifically mixed or it could be fatal. Unfortunately all standard sedatives simply act too slowly...usually over the course of several minutes. Even if the patient is injected, he must be restrained and silenced for up to 10 seconds lest he alert others."

Iona brings both hands up to her chin, giving the appearance of praying. As she continues to think about the procedure, her glance shifts back and forth between Diego and Peter. "So your plan is to have the procedure done at the hospital? Perhaps having the patient quietly abducted to a waiting truck or a nearby motel room where the medical equipment has been pre-deployed? I'm just brainstorming as I find this to be the most difficult phase of the plan Using the the hospital's equipment and space to do the procedure is tremendously risky. I do not know how we could avoid detection. Just getting the patient and OCS out of the building will be an amazing feat of deception and coordination. "
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Deception and it seemed coordination would fall on him. Each just had to play their part and like a symphony they would make a work of art so amazing it made the angels cry. This rarely happened with the group it seemed however. "We will succeed because we must succeed. I do not imagine Praetor Null will tolerate failure from us. Even in our success, he is not tolerant of complicating things for him.", simply says Diego. More than the others except possibly Iona he knew not to make a mistake. His sleep was no longer sleep, but a series of nightmares playing on repeat.

"For the operation, I leave that you. The hospital, if we can procure a location can work or if you think easier we can move him to another location. How do you propose we get the equipment needed in the other location? Getting the OCS with the heart out of the hospital will be challenging enough as it will require forging the right permissions, clearing any scheduled use of it, and other such matters. If we are simply moving the man to another room in the hospital, we may be able to just move the equipment for a maintenance check. Medicine and its equipment plus procedures is not my area of expertise though.", continues Diego mildly annoyed yet not showing it. Iona was the expert on the transplant. Diego was simply the grabber plus getting everything setup.

Looking between Peter and Iona Diego clarified his cover. "To get close enough to administer the sedative, my cover will need to be a recent hire, but one who has gone through required training to move patients plus have access to the OCS. Upon arrival, I will need to get a temporary badge from security. So, all the details that I will furnish should be in the system so that security does not get suspicious.", finishes Diego.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

"I can insert the records," Peter replied, "but I can't secure physical credentials myself, much less anything that would explain moving the OCS out of the hospital. So I agree with Diego, we have to perform it in the hospital."

Peter began moving his hands again as he plucked out the required information and moved it over to the tablet for Iona. "Records for myself as a patient, records for 'Frank Jones' the new hire. Anything else?"
Naturally stuff like Jacob's weight and X-Ray time should be in the hospital records, right?
Games
Supernaturalist

Iona

"I have knowledge of hospitals. Fortunately for us, they are not as secure as people would like to think. If you have a set of scrubs, you can often walk into most areas of the hospital and it will not be immediately questioned. Obviously you cannot simply walk into operating rooms, but surgery itself is possible. There are actually some abnormalities of this whole mission that work in our favor. For one, I do not have to concern myself with the survival of the patient past the point where his heart is removed and his blood is transfused into the OCS. This shortens the procedure and actually diminishes the requirement of having even more medical personnel on hand. The patient, however, must be anesthetized and kept alive during surgery. I shall also assume that heart must be removed and stored in a sterile environment. I have no idea what the recipient of the heart wishes to do with it, but we must assume that they desire to have it free from infectious contamination. Thus we cannot risk doing the surgery in a non-sterile environment. Or can we? Perhaps we may have to do so." The cyborg stops speaking, shaking her head slowly side to side in frustration.

"Scheduled operations are conducted in the mornings through the late afternoon. During the evenings and night, the only operations that occur are emergency procedures that cannot be handled in the ER. At night, there is a skeleton crew in surgery with other surgical crews "on call" if additional surgeries must be done. The place is largely dead. Typically all of the rooms have been cleaned and prepped for the next morning by 1:00 am or so. It varies on the size of the hospital. No one will be using any of the rooms unless the ER can't handle a case. If necessary, I could try to rush the procedure. Perhaps doing it in little over half-an-hour. Understand that I must be the anesthesiologist, surgeon, scrub tech, and nurse all in one during the procedure. Of course non of this matters if the patient is not already at the hospital. Peter, is the patient staying in a room overnight? Also can you locate the side hallway to surgery? It is used to take biopsies and blood-work from surgery to the labs without going back into the main hallways. We could bring the patient in from that direction instead of the front."

Iona looks Diego in the eyes. "It may seem crazy to use the hospital operating-rooms, but it does solve the equipment issue. Unfortunately, heart surgeries require more electronic equipment than virtually any other type of surgery. It would be ideal if we could have access to the "heart room" for about 45 minutes. We could do it in the dead of night. Of course, this could easily get messy. If orderlies, scrub techs, or even the front desk nurse wanders back to the "heart room" and discovers us, then they will have to be incapacitated...perhaps even killed."

Pausing to let him digest her suggestion, she eventually follows up. "So, what are the holes in my plan?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego let Iona speak before responding. "The organ will presumably be used for a black market organ transplant. So, the heart should be usable as medically required. We will need to do the procedure during the day, so at night is out of the question because he will likely not be in the hospital over night. Peter will simply be on site for any on site work he needs to do plus avoiding our detections with the cameras. In his current appearance, it is easier to say he is a patient with burn scars or plastic surgery issues. Since you seem to have an affinity for the girlfriend role, you being at the hospital will be simple a well.", states Diego looking at Iona.

Addressing both Peter and Iona now, Diego brings up another point. "It seems we will need a room at the hospital with the proper equipment, the OCS machine, and time. In addition, we will need a path to the room that avoids as many eyes as possible. Another issue will be administering the sedative to the man to bring him into whichever room we use for the procedure. Do we have the chemicals necessary for chloroform or similar we can put on a rag and over his mouth? Also, for the equipment we need can be pulled out of storage without issue all the better. It will be easier to lie about moving equipment to another storage space if we can have records indicating the move. Hopefully, by the time they notice any record issues it will be too late for them to do anything.", says Diego.

Turning now to Peter, Diegos adds to growing lists of requests. "For documents, we will need the hospital restrictions because of the prisoners presence, any pertinent new hire documents, and a list of personal categorized by department they work and if they are on vacation. The final item will allow us to know which staff and areas to avoid who might know Jacob better due to working with him a lot. Giving names will also help sell out covers. All the better if the names are on vacation.", asks Diego. He learned fudging names close to current staff names was easier. If the names could not be reached immediately, it was even better.
I apologize for any typos. Trying to type after cutting my thumb badly while cooking is not easy.
Supernaturalist

Iona

The the three plotters continue to bounce ideas off one another. After hearing Diego out, Iona modifies her plan. "There are maintenance and storage areas in the sub-basement of most hospitals. These areas are much less trafficked by all personnel. Typically they are accessed by elevator like other levels. If electronic instructions could be made to move the necessary equipment to a maintenance room for eventual repairs, that could work. It must be an area with electrical outlets as there are several machines which I'll still need to use for the procedure. We could simply load the patient onto the elevator and bring him to the sub-basement. It would be nice if Peter could identify any potential security cameras in the sub-basement. I could temporarily scramble them when we come off the elevator. Of course, we'll still be left with one problem. Nuclear medicine will still be expecting the patient for an X-ray. Would Peter be able to hack in and notify them that the procedure has been cancelled? Perhaps just a few minutes prior to his scheduled arrival. Perhaps he could put in a note about a disagreement with the insurance company over payment."

Iona then looks specifically at Diego, "Chlorofom is not something I keep for medical purposes. It is also not a very easy way to anesthetize someone. It typically takes several minutes of inhalation when used on its own. Perhaps I could mix something for you if you are insistent on placing the sedative over the patient's nose and mouth. Let me see what I can do in the lab."
OOC: Would I be able to use chemicals in the lab to mix a fast acting, yet relatively safe "knock-out" gas? More specifically, one that can be inhaled. I'll give you an Expertise: Science roll just in case. Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 30(15 + 15). So, a total of 30.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

"This is a new technology and they don't have the ability to perform repairs. Besides, those areas down there are not available to to the public, so if we are spotted, that would be problematic." Peter clarified for Iona. "If we say the procedure is canceled, then why would Thatcher come in? Understand that while this hospital's networks are not high security, ask me to do too many things and something may get noticed."
Games
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Taking it all in, Diego considered the technical angle of it all. He wasn't terribly well versed in technology preferring the human touch himself, so he deferred to Peter on those matters. In light of all the technical risks, he decided to go with the simple approach where he might be able to control the human element better. "If we know the xray technician and minimize the interactions, we may able to take a simpler approach. I can take the place of the xray technician assuming their appearance. When I go to setup the xrays and position Jacob, I can knock him out. The two of you can be close and come in to the room to help quickly and quietly dispatch anyone else in the room. Wheel chairs should be easy to procure, so Peter can be wheeled in on one that we will use to move Jacob to wherever the procedure occurs if he does not have one already.", proposes Diego.

"This all leaves open getting the equipment needed for the procedure plus transport. So long as the OCS isn't tracked or missed for the duration of the procedure, we should be able to sneak out with it covered up. That leaves the steps required to gather what is needed for the procedure and get a location.", says Diego looking at Iona.
Supernaturalist

Iona
"If we say the procedure is canceled, then why would Thatcher come in? Understand that while this hospital's networks are not high security, ask me to do too many things and something may get noticed."
"We would not notify nuclear medicine of the cancellation until a short time before Thatcher's appointment. That way he's already at the hospital, but now they are not expecting him for x-rays."

"Iona then looks back to Diego. "The problem is getting all the necessary equipment to nuclear medicine without raising lots of eyebrows. Having the equipment sent to maintenance in the sub-basement or to an "overflow" operating-room in surgery makes sense. Perfusion and anesthesia machines along with orthopedic saws and surgical instruments do not get sent to areas of the hospital responsible for x-rays. That seems to be our great dilemma: How do we get all the equipment, ourselves, and the patient to a secret place to perform the procedure?" She pauses, her soft voice betraying mild frustration.

"It would be so much easier if we could simply abduct the patient, swindle them out of the OCS machine and perform the procedure off-site from the hospital. But if that is not feasible, then I'm still sticking to my earlier suggestion that the procedure be done in the sub-basement. Instead of putting the patient in a wheel-chair, he could be placed upon a stretcher. It's not unusual for stretchers to be used instead of wheelchairs for even simple procedures. Once we are on the elevator, we could incapacitate the patient and then cover him with a blanket. Instead of going to the floor where nuclear medicine is located, we use the excuse of heading to the morgue. It is quite possible no one will ask us anything, but just in case, we have an excuse for taking a body down there. The morgue is almost certainly in the basement or sub-basement, so that gives us justification for taking the covered-body down to that level. We then wheel the body to a Maintenance Storage room where our equipment awaits. We perform the procedure and then leave everything except the OCS machine where it is to be discovered later. We should be long gone by then." Although there is anxiety in her voice, she realizes that risks must always be taken if great goals are to be accomplished.

"It is a complex task we have before us, my peers. We can plan as much as we like, but luck must be on our side as well. There is no plan that will be risk free. I'm still open to a different strategy as long it improves our odds."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

"But you and I wouldn't be staff." Peter replied. "Are we sure that no one will notice and ask the obvious questions?"
Games