[IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Deadline

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Camus

Hitori Zanzo

Post by Camus »

It was incredible how deep his transfrmation had gone. There was still facets of it that he ignored, deeper darker and even scarier knowledge awaited. This macro virus was really an apocalyptic thing. He couldnt stop thinking that if it wasn't for Sokolov's serum, he would have spread this stuff all over the surface. But enough introspection, Hitori thought to himself. There was a mission ahea... Camera. "Sanden datta na..." the man complains in japanese, before waiting for Diego to give his all clear sign
心のコスモ を 抱きしめて 遥かな 銀河 へ
Sakuro

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator:Terrible Purpose

Post by Sakuro »

Diego scrutinizes the way ahead, or rather down. Before you is a set of metal stairs. Mundane in their construction and banal in their descending square pattern. But Diego is on alert for danger after finding a hatch with pressure sensors, an electrified door, and a mine trap. Turning his head to get a better angle, he realizes that there are wires on the underside of the stairs. They're pressed tight to the surface underside of each stair, but Diego sees them The question is: Why would stairs have wires? It doesn't seem right.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: -1 toughness(lasting damage)
Form: solid

Only seemed logical. A camera with wired up stairs. This whole place screamed of booby traps, so why not make the stairs that way as well. If this was Stronghold setup, they had an offaly strange way of going about it all. Diego would have picture automatic machine guns, maybe a railgun for good measure, and a squadron of soldiers bunkered near the gem. While he made be clueless, Diego had to hope Peter could give some idea of what they were facing.

Tapping into the Ascension network again, Diego sends a message to Peter who was still digging on the escape plan hopefully. Something told Diego they wouldn't be leaving this place in their current forms. You wouldn't happen to know what thin wires strapped to the underside of metal stairs could indicate? They seem like pretty basic stairs., sends Diego giving as much detail as quickly as he could.
Mechanics wise, not sure if a momentary diversion from the gather info is possible for a quick check of the possibilities. So, feel free to say you are buried in research or some such.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Peter paused in his research to observe and answer Diego's question.
Technology: 1d20+16 25
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Peter, those are electrical wires. Electrical wires shouldn't be hooked up to metal stairs. The stairs probably have a lethal electrical current running through them.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

*Basic electrical wiring, which will conduct through the stairs and electrocute anyone walking down, likely fatally. Another trap.* Peter explained.
Games
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP:1
Cnd: Normal
PP:0

Iona rummages around the lab for a simple thermometer. After finding one, she takes a reading of the ambient temperature of the lab. Satisfied with her reading, she approaches the super-science container of Colonel Costa.

Let's check and see just how insulated this contraption is. Placing the thermometer near the container without touching it, she takes another ambient temperature reading and records it.

The young female shifts her gaze to Reaper's unnerving frame. "I'd like to do some experimentation regarding the mysterious energy flowing into and out of your comrade. I realize the falls into that grey area of "learning something about the Ascendants", but I can promise you that the Colonel will not be physically touched nor directly analyzed in any way. All of the testing will occur *outside* the Colonel's chamber. If I can discover more about the nature of the energy-form, I might be able to discover a way to reduce or even block the Colonel's absorption of this substance. That could prolong perhaps even save her life. Of course, I don't want you attempting to dismember me should I proceed. Do I have your consent?"

Iona pauses to gauge the creature's reaction.
If Reaper agrees, then I'll proceed below. If not, then skip to the IC portion immediately following this one.
Iona returns back to the computer-console and begins to type away. Periodically she glances up at Reaper, "I'll have of the droids bring me various materials, chemical solutions, and instruments. They'll be placed just outside the door in the hallway so I don't have to leave the room to retrieve them...I wouldn't want you to think I was deceiving you again."
OOC: Deception roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+6 → 25(19 + 6)...so a 25. Also, and Expertise: Science roll: Supernaturalist:1D20+15 → 35(20 + 15)...wow...a natural 20...so a total of 35.
If Reaper refuses to comply, then the following actions will take place.
"Very well...as you wish. If the Colonel perishes before your comrades return, then I shall inform Praetor Null that you denied me that possible solution." Iona returns to the computer and returns to typing.
OOC: the same Deception and Expertise: Science roll will be made as occurred above.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Understood., is all Diego replies to Peter. This place was turning out to be full of traps. Part of Diego thought that no person was ever meant to come down this way ever again after it was all setup. Given the nature of the gem, it made sense. Regardless of what was going on, Diego had enough.

"Mind using some of your strength to pull off two of those ladder rungs? Try not not to break the whole ladder either.", asks Diego of Hitori. That camera had to go and he didn't want to risk the door closing again. Given the possible age of the ladder, he was hoping Hitori could snap a few rungs without breaking the utility of the ladder as a means of escape.
This next bit assumes Hitori can pull them off. Including here to keep things moving.
Taking the two rungs in a fashion as to not complete a circuit between his current electric absorption form and any electrified metal he might be touching, he places one rung in a fashion to keep the door open. The sheer amount of will power to keep from letting go due to sheer strain and returning to a more comfortable form was stating to tax the man of mist. He had a mission though and he wasn't going to fail because of lack of will power.

Once placed, he takes the other rung and tries to throw it at the camera like a dart in hopes of breaking it.
Ranged attack 20 if needed
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

While Iona moves around the laboratory her mechanized bodyguards move with her, leaving some distance between themselves and Iona so as not to restrict her movements. But they are always between Reaper and Iona. When she addresses Reaper, he had been unobtrusively watching every little thing that went on around her, the woman turned war machine's listened. The talk of continued study concerning the Colonel earned a flare of energy radiating from Reaper's eyes.

"You will have to consult with Peter. Even if he gives the OK, Peter might want to be present."

There was a brief pause before he pointed upwards.

"You have intercoms, right?"

… the ploy worked though. If Reaper hadn't been watching Iona closely before, she was now.
OOC wrote:As a reminder, I am not keen on RPing Reaper. Make your best effort to avoid interacting with her if the narrative offers other options. In this case, Reaper is an obstacle that Iona needs to contend with, so I understand it.

Alexandria showed some interest in women during her dance scene with Sander, so I am inclined to give Iona her Attractiveness bonus for the Deception roll. With that +5, Reaper can't beat the Iona's Deception roll with her Insight. Even on a 20.

As for the Science check, that will cover several hours of work. The roll is high enough for success.

The ladder's steps are less sturdy than the hatch Hitori had to wrestle for over ten minutes, and he is not under any pressure. So he can take his time ripping them off, and he will be able to.

After making sure the door is not going to close completely and lock on them Diego hurls the unused piece of metal at the camera across from the door. The clatter of metal hitting plastic resounds, and rectangular box shaped camera busts open in a confetti of internal electronics made external. These electronic parts clatter to the stair landing with some crackles of electricity sparking over them.
Supernaturalist

Iona
"You will have to consult with Peter. Even if he gives the OK, Peter might want to be present."

There was a brief pause before he pointed upwards.

"You have intercoms, right?"
Iona had hoped to keep Peter out of the main laboratory unless absolutely necessary. The young cyborg stood silent for a few moments in thought. Then her beautiful eyes glance back to the disturbing visage of Reaper. "I'll seek his approval, but I'd rather not have him around the Doctor's lab any more than necessary. He has a mind not unlike my own; and it is prone to stray into forbidden areas for the sake of curiosity."

After checking the monitor on Colonel Costa's chamber, she gracefully pivots and returns to the main computer console. She taps a couple of buttons to access the camera-feed on the main floor as well as the intercom. "Peter?...this is Iona. I have a request which you may feel inclined to deny, but I'll ask nonetheless. I would like to run a few non-invasive experiments on the energy-field from which Colonel Costa is drawing her power. All data-collection would occur outside the Colonel's chamber. It would consist of some very basic tests on whether the energy-field interacts at all with various materials, chemical-solutions, and of course an electromagnetic field. The data-collection might produce nothing, but then again...maybe not. I'd prefer to conduct the analysis alone with Reaper as supervisor. Though you would not be present physically, I promise to share all data acquired from the research. If you feel this violates Praetor Null's directive on denying Dr. Sokolov and myself information, then I'll refrain from taking any readings. Though I would add that if some manner of restricting energy absorption is found, that information could help slow the Colonel's destructive buildup of temperature. I have you on loud-speaker so that Reaper may hear your opinion on the matter. I believe she has decided to defer to your expertise."

Iona waits patiently her eyes turned upwards towards the intercom speaker.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Peter Ezima

Peter considered it, but her insistence on his lack of physical presence troubled him. Reaper could observe any overt actions on Iona's part, but she could pull some trick during the analysis that the military Ascendant would not have the background to pick up on.

"I will consent only if I am present with you. As before, I understand your concerns, but they are mutual. If we keep an eye on each other, that would be a safeguard against further intrigue."
Games
Supernaturalist

Iona
"I will consent only if I am present with you. As before, I understand your concerns, but they are mutual. If we keep an eye on each other, that would be a safeguard against further intrigue."
"I'm afraid I cannot take that risk, Peter. I suppose any such research will have to wait. There are still several hours left before we approach the critical zone regarding Colonel Costa's body-temperature. I shall inform you when the time is right; you and I should have just enough time to make alterations to the Cryo-chamber in order to buy the Colonel a little extra time. Iona out!" With that, she turns off the intercom.

No matter...the experiments would have been nice though likely not very fruitful. I believe I have achieved the ultimate effect I desired, however.

Iona looks over at Reaper as she raises one eyebrow. "Oh well...I tried."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego visually scans up and down the stairs for any sign of wires. While not a genius, he figured if he could cut the circuit like old fashioned Christmas tree lights, it might make the stairs less instant kill normal human. The trick of course was finding the right path if any. Now that his body wasn't straining under a current, he didn't need to focus as much on keeping himself together although he still kept the same composition for now letting it reform.

Leaning in as much as he can, Diego looks for any slight clue tracing the wires as best he can. Hitori would be fine, but his concern was more in regard to a possible door at the bottom made of electrified metal as well. A needed, he would step on the stairs if only for a moment. His powers were still new. The exertion of a new form was hard enough as is without it being exposed to electricity. If unable to see anything, Diego shifts into his more fluidic form and pokes his head/body around as best he can without touching the wires. If even that fails him, Diego drops the illusion of being solid completely and turns into a mist to explore.
Perception 26 to see if he can see where the wires might be coming in from and if a suitable place to cut them in visible at all. If needed, he will turn into whatever form is needed.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Diego walks out onto the electrified landing. The soles of his shoes begin to melt and smoke under him. He can feel the heat radiating from the footware into his feet. Electricity rakes and rails against him. Arcs flash over his legs. Whisps of black waft off of him in small clouds. It doesn't feel good, but he is able to endure the electrical discharge form now. Leaning over the stairs he makes an effort to get a Peter look at the mess of wires under the stairs. Diego has no idea to disable this other than to start cutting. But there are a lot of wires in awkward angles. It would take time … and he had no idea if any of them even link to the door at the bottom of the stairs.

Making his way to the bottom he can see that no visible wire are hooked up to the door, but it is metal, and when he puts his hand close he can feel the tingle of an electrical current. Then, listening, he hears foot falls. They're moving fast and there are a lot of them.
OOC wrote:You are aware of the staircase trap. Bypassing it is easy given that Diego can fly and Hitori can climb walls. Removing the wires/cutting them all would take several minutes, if you really want to do that. Bear in mind, changing Diego's form will remove his Electrical Immunity and he will not be able to reactivate it without using Extra Effort as this was a Power Stunt. Meanwhile the base defenders will be able to strengthen their position and better defend against your incursion.

On another note, we will be drawing the solo scene with Iona in the lab to a close. She is currently working on a project that will take up the bulk of the time she has until Hitori and Diego would arrive at Dr. Sokolov's facility. Iona gets 1 HP.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Time was up. Whoever was in this bunker was mobilizing. Diego motioned to Hitori to make his way down intentionally using hand signals to indicate the best way down would be the wall. Whoever was behind the door had likely seen Diego's dark appearance, but had not been graced with Hitori's new form. One good effect of this was Hitori wouldn't be hungry for a bit hopefully.

When Hitori made it close enough, Diego kept up the hand signals. Mimicking the movements of opening the door, he points at Hitori, and finally points at the door he pretended to just open. "That Russian was an idiot. I'm just going to check behind this door down here real fast.", says Diego. Once Hitori is in position, Diego tries to open the door as big as he can quickly turning into his mist form.
Assuming Hitori goes along with the plan, the idea is simple. Diego opens the door as much as he can in his immune to electricity form still, if it's not bolted shut that is, using it as a shield of shorts. Once open Hitori jumps through it and attacks. If Diego can open the door enough to have enough time to turn into mist and get in he will. I apologize for the longer write up OOC, just getting a bit late and wanted to get it up before my next IC posting window of tomorrow night.