[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"So in all of North America, there's only one city?" Binary asks. "Does anyone live outside the city? How many people live in the city? Where is Pacifica located in North America?"

"Oh, and under what name are our accounts? I really need to talk to someone about my specific situation because my body changed including facial features depending on if I was Binary or in my civilian identity. And I think this clone body looks like Binary."
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:26 am"So in all of North America, there's only one city?" Binary asks. "Does anyone live outside the city? How many people live in the city? Where is Pacifica located in North America?"
Emiri stares at you for a long moment, before patiently replying. "There are many large settlements of people in North America, but this is the only city with Galactic technology. Our population as of the most recent census was 110, 248 persons. As mentioned, the city was constructed over the ruins of a place called Emerald City, in what was formerly known as the Pacific Northwest."
jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:26 am"Oh, and under what name are our accounts? I really need to talk to someone about my specific situation because my body changed including facial features depending on if I was Binary or in my civilian identity. And I think this clone body looks like Binary."
"They are not under any name. The account is linked to your thumbprint. If that changes when you change to your civilian identity, you will have to speak to someone in the financial department about adding that thumbprint as a registered user of your account."

"My turn -- are you always this rude?" She is frowning now. "I am not a question-answering machine."
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"I have no idea if I can change into my civilian identity because I still don't have my devices and I'm freaking out about the one you said might be damaged. Being in my superhero identity was never something I did for long periods of time and that also has me off balance mentally.

"And I'm only rude when I wake up 1200 years in the future," she says. "We're all freaking out. I'm sure you've seen that before. And you literally just asked if we had any questions. If you meant that rhetorically, I couldn't tell. Sorry."

(OOC, also the questions assumed emiri would answer the first before binary asked the second. She didn't just blast emiri with a bunch of questions all at once.)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Victoria quietly mulls over what the doctor had suggested about using her powers in a rescue scenario to reassure people. She'd never considered using her powers like that before. She'd only really used them in combat and interrogation situations before, that seemed to be all they were good for, and she supposed was their original intention once that organization had discovered what she could do.

Thinking of them brought on a frown as she contemplated whether they had made it into this era as well, and if so, what they might have been responsible for over the course of history between then and now, or if they were looking for her. While not fully convinced this wasn't a delusion her mind cooked up in madness, she'd never gone fully mad before, so she also didn't know for sure that it wasn't. She'd felt the headaches coming on during that mission, but not the worse ones she'd had that threatened to tear her mind apart, so maybe this was all for real.

Out of some kind of science fiction novel, but real.

"I don't really have any questions up front.." she presses the advanced living option. While she figured saving money would be a good thing (a concept she hadn't actually had to deal with in the past to be fair), she wasn't really comfortable around people, in general, considering the nature of her powers and what they did to her mind. It would be better for her to be at least somewhat apart from them, and living conditions seemed like something that could be adjusted if necessary, but if she could work to maintain those living conditions, that should be good enough, and they would be speaking to the job person tomorrow. For now, clothing sounded good.

She nods towards Genevieve. "I'm with her on the clothing thing."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm "We're all freaking out..."

Marcus raises his hand, "I'm not. I think you're doing a great job Doc." he assures.
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"Did I say the doctor wasn't doing a good job?" Binary says. "I hope I didn't. I said my anxiety is high over what the future holds. I called that freaking out."

Maybe if you shut up.

Maybe if you stopped whining about not having a body I would be able shut up.

Well I don't have one, do I?

I can't think when you get like this.

Victoria nods towards Genevieve. "I'm with her on the clothing thing."

You know I don't like being cooped up.

This is not my choice. Damnit, what did Victoria say?

I wasn't paying attention.

She turns back to Billie, "I envy you're laid back demeanor."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pm BINARY

"Did I say the doctor wasn't doing a good job?" Binary says. "I hope I didn't. I said my anxiety is high over what the future holds. I called that freaking out."

"Okay, okay."
Marcus says patting his hands slowly in the air in the universal 'calm down' sign. "Let's just get out there and you can get all your questions answered."

"Doc, are you sure 'Chemical Assistance' isn't a thing here, cuz Jaina could really use a Xanax or a..."
he mimes taking a hit off a joint.
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm"I have no idea if I can change into my civilian identity because I still don't have my devices and I'm freaking out about the one you said might be damaged.
"Then why are you delaying my declared intention to take you to your devices by asking trivia questions?" Emiri interrupts.
jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:52 pm "We're all freaking out..."
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:31 pm Marcus raises his hand, "I'm not. I think you're doing a great job Doc." he assures.
jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pm"Did I say the doctor wasn't doing a good job?" Binary says. "I hope I didn't. I said my anxiety is high over what the future holds. I called that freaking out."
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:09 pm
"Okay, okay."
Marcus says patting his hands slowly in the air in the universal 'calm down' sign. "Let's just get out there and you can get all your questions answered."

"Doc, are you sure 'Chemical Assistance' isn't a thing here, cuz Jaina could really use a Xanax or a..."
he mimes taking a hit off a joint.
"All right, that's enough," says the doctor. "I need to speak to Genevieve privately, so I'm going to send the rest of you on your way to the personal property department. You should probably be able to walk the distance there, but if any of you would rather ride your beds there, that's also an option." She taps on her forearm, and one of the empty breakfast trays begins slowly moving towards the door. Once she's seen who'd prefer to remain in bed, she taps again, and the bed(s) start moving on the same course as the tray, much more slowly than they moved when they brought you to this room, at about the same walking pace those of you who start walking to follow it.

Peacekeeper: Once everyone else is gone, Emiri looks at you with a solemn expression on her face. "I did not forget that you asked about the people you were trying to save. Even though it was a very long time ago, I believe you deserve an answer to that question. Unfortunately, it is a mixture of good and bad news.

"First of all, you did succeed in saving the lives of everyone in the building that your superiors were going to detonate, though the explosion still ended the lives of several soldiers of the Authority and of the Resistance -- including that of Marcus Siemmens, incidentally. But no civilian lives were lost as a result of that bomb." She hesitates, then continues. "Immediately after the explosion, however, your commanding officer had everyone in that building rounded up and executed as collaborators.

"This became known as the Cleveland Massacre. Images of the incident, released to the international media by survivors of the Resistance, further diminished support for the Authority, whose political leadership were divided on the episode. This would eventually lead to a coup d'état by the Authority's military wing, lead by your commanding officer, just as the Resistance began its final assault on the Authority's headquarters in Bentonville. The Authority collapsed, the Second American Civil War ended, and rule by elected government returned to the United States ... and the judgement of history is that it was the direct result of your actions." Emiri's statement comes to an end, and she offers you a bow.

After giving you a few moments to process all this, she quietly adds, "When you are ready, we should catch up to the rest."

Everyone Else: The tray moves slowly through the hallway.
jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pm Binary turns back to Billie, "I envy you're laid back demeanor."
Walking slowly along side you, Billie raises an eyebrow at this. "I had my own freak out, back there, so I do get where you're coming from," they reply. "This whole thing is pretty messed up, but ... well, I think it helps that I've been in the life since I was born."
Insight check to Evaluate Billie -- DC 24.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus totally rides the bed there laying back in luxurious comfort.

"In the life?" Marcus questions to Billie. "What kind of life could've prepped you for this?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Davies wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:30 pm Walking slowly along side you, Billie raises an eyebrow at this. "I had my own freak out, back there, so I do get where you're coming from," they reply. "This whole thing is pretty messed up, but ... well, I think it helps that I've been in the life since I was born."
Insight check to Evaluate Billie -- DC 24.
Insight DC 24: 1d20+6 18

Walking down this hallway, it doesn't seem 1200 years in the future.

Would you stop talking over the other people? You made me miss the fact that we're going to property retrieval completely. They think I'm an ass already.

"Thanks. In what life, if you don't mind my asking?" she asks Billie.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:38 pm"In the life?" Marcus questions to Billie. "What kind of life could've prepped you for this?"
jmucchiello wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:42 pm"Thanks. In what life, if you don't mind my asking?" she asks Billie.
(Treating this as a chorus ...)

"The superhero life, natch," they reply. "Both my parents were in it, so I was never really normal." Their eyes go distant. "I wonder if my dad's already here ... he died back in '39." With a shake of the head, Billie comes back to the present. "Nah. He'd have found a way to get off-planet by now.

"Sorry, I should probably give my full name, like the rest of you have. Billie Zane."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Davies wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:50 pm "Sorry, I should probably give my full name, like the rest of you have. Billie Zane."
"A Relation to Malik Zayne, singer/songwriter, turn of the century? Had some really good hits after winning popularity on one of those televised talent competitions? That's pretty awesome." Marcus says nodding approval.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
Davies wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:30 pm
Peacekeeper: Once everyone else is gone, Emiri looks at you with a solemn expression on her face. "I did not forget that you asked about the people you were trying to save. Even though it was a very long time ago, I believe you deserve an answer to that question. Unfortunately, it is a mixture of good and bad news.

"First of all, you did succeed in saving the lives of everyone in the building that your superiors were going to detonate, though the explosion still ended the lives of several soldiers of the Authority and of the Resistance -- including that of Marcus Siemmens, incidentally. But no civilian lives were lost as a result of that bomb." She hesitates, then continues. "Immediately after the explosion, however, your commanding officer had everyone in that building rounded up and executed as collaborators.

"This became known as the Cleveland Massacre. Images of the incident, released to the international media by survivors of the Resistance, further diminished support for the Authority, whose political leadership were divided on the episode. This would eventually lead to a coup d'état by the Authority's military wing, lead by your commanding officer, just as the Resistance began its final assault on the Authority's headquarters in Bentonville. The Authority collapsed, the Second American Civil War ended, and rule by elected government returned to the United States ... and the judgement of history is that it was the direct result of your actions." Emiri's statement comes to an end, and she offers you a bow.

After giving you a few moments to process all this, she quietly adds, "When you are ready, we should catch up to the rest."
Genevieve listens to Emiri's account in shocked silence. "The Resistance won?" she says. "I never--I always thought they were completely hopeless. I didn't think they could actually..."

She wipes at her eyes. "Thank you. Thank you for telling me this. I... thank you." She coughs. "Yes, we'd better catch up."

When she's back in the hallway with the others, Genevieve leans down next to Marcus. "I'd like to talk to you, sometime," she says quietly. "When we're alone."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:16 pm When she's back in the hallway with the others, Genevieve leans down next to Marcus. "I'd like to talk to you, sometime," she says quietly. "When we're alone."
Marcus hesitates, but nods.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Victoria opted to remain on the bed. How often does one get to ride a hover bed after all? She listens to the others talk quietly, having nothing of interest to add.
Insight: 1d20+9 15