[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: [IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus's eye light up to see some of his clutchmates.

"Genevieve, Vee, hi there!" he greets warmly, moving a second pair of headphones down to nest with his original pair around his neck. "Oh, Vee, I totally meant to call you regarding one of my friends from Before that's still in the hospital, but we can talk about that after. I'm here with The Ghost Hunters for their Streaming Cloudcast of the event. This is a streaming Cloudcast, right?" Marcus turns back to Darla for the question.

"Oh, hey! Hunters, these are Genevieve and Victoria. They were 'respawned' with me a week ago. Gee, Vee, this is Diego, Emil, and Darla. The Ghost Hunters." Clearly he's excited to see you guys.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Vee frowns at Marcus and looks at Genevieve. "Is he speaking words right now? I mean, they sound like words, but he isn't making much sense."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Genevieve makes polite, shallow small talk with Cornelia and the others on the way to the mansion, looking over at Vee every now and then to see if she wants to join in. She has her tablet with her, held securely in a stylish black leather purse. Well, maybe not leather, exactly, but as Harry Angell would say, protein molecules arranged in the shape of leather, with no actual alligator involved. They did the same thing in her time, but the process has clearly advanced tremendously. Good thing, too, since purses, apparently, are very fashionable in Pacifica. She's dressed nicely without being showy: this is Yukika's trip, for Yukika's circle of friends, and she's not going to endear herself to Yukika by upstaging her. Looking just good enough to suggest that she could upstage Yukika if she wanted to, on the other hand, subtly makes the point that she's better to have as a friend than a rival.

Sometimes Genevieve wonders whether other people do this kind of calculus in their heads when they go out socializing, or it's really just her who's this insincere all the time.
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:57 am Marcus's eye light up to see some of his clutchmates.

"Genevieve, Vee, hi there!" he greets warmly, moving a second pair of headphones down to nest with his original pair around his neck. "Oh, Vee, I totally meant to call you regarding one of my friends from Before that's still in the hospital, but we can talk about that after. I'm here with The Ghost Hunters for their Streaming Cloudcast of the event. This is a streaming Cloudcast, right?" Marcus turns back to Darla for the question.

"Oh, hey! Hunters, these are Genevieve and Victoria. They were 'respawned' with me a week ago. Gee, Vee, this is Diego, Emil, and Darla. The Ghost Hunters." Clearly he's excited to see you guys.
"Marcus, hi!" She smiles and waves. "This is Cornelia Butler, my housemate and schoolmate, this is Yukika Akahiro, our leader for the evening--and also the first woman I've met here as tall as I am," she winks. "And these are Michelle, Tara, Mai, and Allison." She turns back to them. "This is Marcus Siemmens, very smart. And he plays guitar!"

She offers Vee a bemused shrug in response to her question. "Ghosts are big in Pacifica!"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus is momentarily speechless as beautiful woman after beautiful woman gets out of the car. He blushes to realize his mouth is open. "Uh... hi... All of you." he says without much smoothness.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:57 am"Genevieve, Vee, hi there!" [Marcus] greets warmly, moving a second pair of headphones down to nest with his original pair around his neck. "Oh, Vee, I totally meant to call you regarding one of my friends from Before that's still in the hospital, but we can talk about that after. I'm here with The Ghost Hunters for their Streaming Cloudcast of the event. This is a streaming Cloudcast, right?" Marcus turns back to Darla for the question.
"That is the plan," she answers softly.
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:57 am "Oh, hey! Hunters, these are Genevieve and Victoria. They were 'respawned' with me a week ago. Gee, Vee, this is Diego, Emil, and Darla. The Ghost Hunters." Clearly he's excited to see you guys.
"Enchanted," chorus Diego and Emil, both speaking English with what sounds like a Brazilian accent. For her part, Darla just nods politely and keeps her focus on the tech.
RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:59 am "Marcus, hi!" She smiles and waves. "This is Cornelia Butler, my housemate and schoolmate, this is Yukika Akahiro, our leader for the evening--and also the first woman I've met here as tall as I am," she winks. "And these are Michelle, Tara, Mai, and Allison." She turns back to them. "This is Marcus Siemmens, very smart. And he plays guitar!"
EpicEclipse wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am Vee frowns at Marcus and looks at Genevieve. "Is he speaking words right now? I mean, they sound like words, but he isn't making much sense."
RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:59 am [Genevieve] offers Vee a bemused shrug in response to her question. "Ghosts are big in Pacifica!"
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:58 am Marcus is momentarily speechless as beautiful woman after beautiful woman gets out of the car. He blushes to realize his mouth is open. "Uh... hi... All of you." he says without much smoothness.
As it happens, Michelle, Tara, Mai and Allison are not really aware of any other human presence once they get a look at Diego and Emil. Yukika is just as fascinated by the two brothers, but manages to give Marcus the polite nod of greeting that he's come to expect from Mugei citizens of Pacifica. (She also gives Genevieve a slightly chilly smile at the 'tall' remark.)

For her part, Cornelia doesn't really give the Delgados more than a brief glance before giving Marcus a friendly smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Marcus," she says. "And I hope you'll understand why I hope you don't actually find what you're 'hunting' for, this evening. It's ... actually been a bit disturbing how many ghost stories my family and I have been drawn into since we came here. Almost like we never left Maine," she mutters, almost to herself.

"Oh, don't say such silly things," Yukika speaks up. "This evening is supposed to be fun!"
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Genevieve winces and offers Marcus a sympathetic smile as nearly everyone ignores him for Diego and Emil. The very, very nice to look at, Diego and Emil. She listens to Cornelia introduce herself, and her eyebrows go up a bit at the ghost story remark.

Ghosts are big in Pacifica, she thinks with some surprise. Genevieve has never encountered a ghost herself, but a magician she met through the Authority swore they existed, and if she was going to expect them anywhere, a new city built on top of a destroyed city would be it. Still, her ringleader for the night doesn't seem to be taking the matter seriously.

"So, Yukika, what should we expect?" she says pleasantly. "Does Sandestin the Munificent do a lot of shows? Is this your first?"
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Dressed in comparatively plain clothing with her tablet secured to a sleeve that strapped to her thigh (she didn't like the idea of something hanging around near her neck that could flop around if she needed to move quickly for any reason... old habits.), Vee seemed oblivious to her own looks, or those of the handsome men (even if the colorful jumpsuits looked kind of silly) they had met up with. In fact, she seemed to be trying not to draw too much attention to herself. Just because she was trying to be out where people were, didn't mean she needed to strike up big conversations. Baby steps and all.

She was presently more interested in the house. From what she knew about ghosts, they were the spirits of dead people that couldn't move on for some reason or another, and psychics tended to be sensitive to them, which gave Vee some pause for concern given the nature of her powers. She looks back over to Genevieve when the other woman asks about what they should be expecting.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Davies wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:47 am For her part, Cornelia doesn't really give the Delgados more than a brief glance before giving Marcus a friendly smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Marcus," she says. "And I hope you'll understand why I hope you don't actually find what you're 'hunting' for, this evening. It's ... actually been a bit disturbing how many ghost stories my family and I have been drawn into since we came here. Almost like we never left Maine," she mutters, almost to herself.
"I keep saying 'Hunters' don't I? It's Chasers, Ghost Chasers. Sorry." Marcus apologizes to the Delgados and Darla. "Not hunting anything. They're more like the old tornado chasers - documenting a natural/super-natural phenomenon. Trying to figure it out. And they have a metric ton of screen presence and charisma to do it with." Marcus concedes to no one in particular. Though there is a brief appreciative smile returned to Genevieve.

"I'm really looking forward to the opening spiel about the history of this place and prior reported 'encounters' on it." he looks to Emil and Diego.

"Who's your family that you always get embroiled in ghost stuff?" the sound savant asks in a low tone to Cordelia.
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:14 pm"So, Yukika, what should we expect?" she says pleasantly. "Does Sandestin the Munificent do a lot of shows? Is this your first?"
"Mm-hm." She answers that last question with a nod, but does manage to pull her eyes away from Diego and Emil to address you a bit more directly. "He's done a few appearances here in Pacifica -- my parents went to one -- and they said that he did typical exorcist things, even if he acted more like a stage magician than an exorcist." Her mouth twists. "I s'pose that's not very helpful if you've never seen an exorcist at work. Neither have I, actually. Liza, didn't you mention that one visited your house at one point?"

Vee's tutor likewise pulls her attention from the brothers. "Ah? Oh, yes. When I was a little girl, we had a haunting in our house. I only saw something spooky once, but my parents -- anyway, an old monk came, talked to the house for a while, and then nothing strange ever happened again."

"Mishamon Agede, from Eternia," Emil says, nodding soberly. "He was one of the first people to advance the theory that the Hospital's work with soul restoration was attracting spirits from all over. The fact that the Hospital itself has never experienced a haunting, or so the administration claims, makes a lot of people doubt that theory, buuuut ..." He trails off and shrugs.

"Anyway, that's basically what Sandestin does, too," Yukika continues. "He calls up the spirit, then talks it into going wherever it's supposed to go. It usually takes about an hour."
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:30 pm "Who's your family that you always get embroiled in ghost stuff?" the sound savant asks in a low tone to Cornelia.
Cornelia opens her mouth to explain. Before she can say anything, though, the front doors of the manor creak open, and a petite, dark-haired woman dressed in black comes out to survey you. "I presume you're all here for Sandestin?" she asks. Without waiting for an answer, she gives you all a polite nod. "I'm Luaru Masenoshi. Welcome to my house. Come freely, go safely, and leave some of the happiness you bring." This is delivered very formally, before she beckons for all of you to enter.

"Long story. Tell you later," Cornelia murmurs, as she and pretty much everyone else starts heading for the door.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus nods, and adjusts the strap holding his guitar out of the way, "If it goes badly I thought maybe music could soothe the spirits." he says to no one in particular.

He pulls up the first set of earphones but leaves one ear uncovered and fiddles with the dials on the M-FAWCS, recording what the sensitive instrument could pick up, simulcasting it to Darla's rig.

Marcus takes a breath as his giddy excitement ramps up then enters.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
Davies wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:07 pm "Mishamon Agede, from Eternia," Emil says, nodding soberly. "He was one of the first people to advance the theory that the Hospital's work with soul restoration was attracting spirits from all over. The fact that the Hospital itself has never experienced a haunting, or so the administration claims, makes a lot of people doubt that theory, buuuut ..." He trails off and shrugs.
Genevieve laughs. "Hey, come on, the whole 'soul stone' thing is just a nickname. The hospital grows clones and uploads memories into them, it doesn't seriously raise the dead. Right?"
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 pmGenevieve laughs. "Hey, come on, the whole 'soul stone' thing is just a nickname. The hospital grows clones and uploads memories into them, it doesn't seriously raise the dead. Right?"
Emil offers a shrug. "Is a soul more than memories? Metaphysical philosophers have been arguing about the nature of the soul for thousands of years without conclusion. And the hospital keeps the exact details of its procedures a trade secret, one of the few that still exist."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

"My existential crisis is a trade secret. Good to know." Genevieve's shoulders slump a bit as she enters the mansion with the others.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Vee mainly kept her own counsel. Not ignoring the others, but trying to draw little to no attention to herself, lest she need to actually talk to people she doesn't know. She listened attentively as the others spoke about what they knew about ghosts and souls and how it may or may not be related to the process that brought them back from the dead, so to speak. The talk about philosophy regarding the nature of the soul gave her a bit of a chill for the possible clinical possibility that she maybe be little more than a sort of a biological bit of data that could be downloaded into another body.

But how else did she explain her ability to delve into the minds of others if not some manner of networking through the psyche... deep stuff and beyond Vee's present capacity to contemplate further. Besides, they were going into a place that supposedly had real ghosts. Knowing little about them, she didn't know what to expect of what the ghosts could do so it would be better to keep her guard up and not be daydreaming about existential probabilities.
Davies

Post by Davies »

All: You pass through the large double doors and enter a fairly narrow hallway. A second woman, dressed in a maid's outfit (much like the one worn by Amber and Jade, as Genevieve notices) but blonde, quietly offers to take people's coats or jackets. She doesn't insist on it, though (as Marcus is unlikely to give his away).

Past the foyer you come into a large gallery, lit by a chandelier two stories above you, with stairs on either side leading up to a balcony. Standing near the left-hand staircase is a young woman in a white dress, with purple hair and fairly dark skin. Her head is lowered. Floating upright in mid-air below the chandelier is a black-haired, mustachioed man dressed in red robes, a black suit, boots, and gold chains around his neck. He gives no sign of having noticed that any of you are present until everyone has entered the room; at which point, he spreads his arms and speaks in a voice with yet another unfamiliar accent. You all immediately recognize him, as he matches the pictures almost exactly.

"This house," proclaims Sandestin the Munificent, "is haunted." He pauses to let that sink in as he begins to lower towards the floor. "I will not speculate as to the source of that haunting. Is it the ghost of the former owner? Is it another, older ghost, from the many years of violence that this ancient home has known? Is it a single spirit, or is it a legion? Does it wish ill, or is it merely lost? All this remains to be seen. But seen it shall be." This fierce declaration comes as he settles to the floor. "And we will all bear witness."

A moment of silence. "I shall now answer a few questions, before I withdraw to concentrate my powers for what is to come," he adds.