[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
RainOnTheSun

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper
jmucchiello wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 am "Well, mostly just the research division. My brother was CEO. None of which probably means anything here and now. All the advanced research I bled and sweated to discover they probably teach in kindergarten here." She says.
Genevieve considers this silently, for a moment.

"So you think she's telling the truth, then?" she finally asks. She looks around the room. "About us being future clone people?"
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:41 am "So you think she's telling the truth, then?" she finally asks. She looks around the room. "About us being future clone people?"
"I fell in battle," she says. "So unless some mentalist is trying mess with my head, I thought I died. This is not the world I left."
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:41 am "So you think she's telling the truth, then?" [Peacekeeper] finally asks. She looks around the room. "About us being future clone people?"
jmucchiello wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 am"I fell in battle," [Binary] says. "So unless some mentalist is trying mess with my head, I thought I died. This is not the world I left."
"I get the distinct feeling that everyone here should probably act like they think it's true, or you could end up getting knocked out by teleporting security troopers and dragged off to get psych-bent into believing it despite yourselves," Billie says, very quietly. "Even if parts of this story don't add up right."
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY
Davies wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 am "I get the distinct feeling that everyone here should probably act like they think it's true, or you could end up getting knocked out by teleporting security troopers and dragged off to get psych-bent into believing it despite yourselves," Billie says, very quietly. "Even if parts of this story don't add up right."
He has a point. We had wills. Our fortunes were donated to charity, based on my will.

We died as Binary. Jaina and Jacen Van Dyck just disappeared October 3rd, 2060.

After seven years our will would be enacted.

Plenty of time for whoever put the things in our head to raid our finances.

But why?

"What inconsistencies are you referring to? I've only got 'Why weren't our fortunes dispersed per instructions in our wills?' and 'How did they put chips in our heads without our knowledge?' Otherwise, I'm good." She says.
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:28 pm "What inconsistencies are you referring to? I've only got 'Why weren't our fortunes dispersed per instructions in our wills?' and 'How did they put chips in our heads without our knowledge?' Otherwise, I'm good." She says.
"Four things, with that bit about wills coming as sort of a subheading of one of them," says Billie, holding up four fingers. "First off, if it had been your company that had 'acquired or developed' that chipping technology, would they have started distributing it before they had the other side of the technology -- in other words, fast-growth human cloning? Or at least being able to upload our consciousnesses in some form? How do you profit from that? Secondly, if you do start chipping people, why do you pick a group like superheroes, whose economic backgrounds, and abilities to pay for the treatment, range from princes to paupers?

"Third, Jack was right that time travel is a thing. Both my parents went on extended trips to the past, and I've encountered plenty of other people who've had similar experiences. And from what I've been able to find out, there's a time police that's supposed to exist in a future era sometime past the twenty-sixth century. How does that square with time travel being impossible in the thirty-third century?

"And finally ..." Here they trail off. "You said that you remember dying. Is that true of the rest of you?" When you indicate that it is, Billie continues. "The last thing I remember was a night in 2064, having dinner with some friends in Paris, and then walking through the streets on the way to my garret. Then everything went black, and then I was in that liquid. I don't remember dying. Why not?"
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Victoria shakes her head modestly when Billie attempts to compliment her. "I'm just no-one important." from there she mainly just eats her meal in silence, listening to the others talk.

"If this isn't some kind of madness-induced experience for me... I didn't really own anything before. And who would be holding this organization accountable for performing this 'service' so far in the future that everyone they revive will need to find a way to cope..." she looks to where Jack had been seated pointedly.

"And dieing... maybe? I was blinded and deafened by a stun grenade... everything was white and ringing, then nothing, then I woke up here. I could have just passed out... my powers might have gone out of control and driven me mad... I can't say I know for sure what happened."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

"Time police!" Genevieve laughs and lies back down on her bed. "Sure. Why not?"

Being given a free second chance at life in the far future made no sense to her. It was completely alien from everything she'd ever known. Being surrounded by danger and lies, though, that she understood. That was a world she knew how to function in, even if everything else had been pulled out from under her.

There are always strings attached. You just have to find out what the strings are.
EpicEclipse wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:59 pm Victoria shakes her head modestly when Billie attempts to compliment her. "I'm just no-one important." from there she mainly just eats her meal in silence, listening to the others talk.

"If this isn't some kind of madness-induced experience for me... I didn't really own anything before. And who would be holding this organization accountable for performing this 'service' so far in the future that everyone they revive will need to find a way to cope..." she looks to where Jack had been seated pointedly.

"And dieing... maybe? I was blinded and deafened by a stun grenade... everything was white and ringing, then nothing, then I woke up here. I could have just passed out... my powers might have gone out of control and driven me mad... I can't say I know for sure what happened."
"Ooh, stun grenade." Genevieve props herself up on her elbow and grins at Vee. "Come on, keep going. Were you a soldier? A mercenary? A spy? A hit woman? You must have done something exciting if you were picked for this... whatever it is."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Victoria looks over to Genevieve and shakes her head once again. "Just a failed freak experiment doing whatever I needed to for my medication..."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

That sounds pretty suspicious, but Genevieve is the last person on earth to cast moral judgment on anyone else, in her mind. "Yeah. I guess a lot of us did whatever we had to to get by, didn't we."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Freebird
Davies wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:13 pm "Huh. My nephew is a huge fan of --" Then breaks off. "Was. Was a huge fan."
Marcus gives a nostalgic sigh. "Yeah, that's when being banned and illegal was 'edgy' and 'cool'. Underground concerts. Secret hand signs. Before the soldiers started bringing automatics and Kill-Sticks to those they tortured people to find out about." he pointedly doesn't look to Genivive.
jmucchiello wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 am "Well, mostly just the research division. My brother was CEO. None of which probably means anything here and now. All the advanced research I bled and sweated to discover they probably teach in kindergarten here." She says.
"Hey now, could be they wouldn't HAVE all this if it weren't for the significant advancements." he says, reassuring.
Davies wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:01 am "I get the distinct feeling that everyone here should probably act like they think it's true, or you could end up getting knocked out by teleporting security troopers and dragged off to get psych-bent into believing it despite yourselves," Billie says, very quietly. "Even if parts of this story don't add up right."
"So cynical." Marcus says.
Davies wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:55 pm "Four things..."

"Oh.
" he says, not convinced but not having counters to most.
Davies wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:55 pm "The last thing I remember was a night in 2064, having dinner with some friends in Paris, and then walking through the streets on the way to my garret. Then everything went black, and then I was in that liquid. I don't remember dying. Why not?"
"Cuz when a sniper takes you out you don't hear the shot. I've played enough Call of Duty to know that. There are a buncha other ways sudden death can happen besides." he says.
RainOnTheSun wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 am Peacekeeper

That sounds pretty suspicious, but Genevieve is the last person on earth to cast moral judgment on anyone else, in her mind. "Yeah. I guess a lot of us did whatever we had to to get by, didn't we."
Marcus purses his lips but doesn't say anything.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Flynnarrel wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:14 am "Cuz when a sniper takes you out you don't hear the shot. I've played enough Call of Duty to know that. There are a buncha other ways sudden death can happen besides." [Freebird] says.
Billie considers this. "Good point," they admit.

A few moments following Peacekeeper and Inquisitor's conversation, the door to the room opens up and Emiri comes back in, carrying a pile of tablets in her hands. "I hope you enjoyed your meals, and are otherwise rested," she says in English, before she starts handing out the tablets to each of you. Once done, she heads over to the translator mechanism and starts talking again, with her words translated this time.

"If you'll each press your thumb to your tablet, it will activate and you'll be provided with information about your credit account, and we'll start setting up your living arrangements, and scheduling an appointment with a job counselor. I should probably note that the money is in the form of Unified Commerce Credits, which can be translated as ... em, I believe one of them has the same purchasing power as ten American dollars in your era."
All: Or one American dollar in 2018. Incidentally, you are all rested enough to be able to get up and get off your beds if you feel like doing so, though your movements should probably be somewhat uncertain.

Marcus: You have a healthy sum in your accounts, in the mid six figures. You're offered living arrangements labeled 'Basic' (which you can afford for about three years with no further income), Advanced (which you'll be able to afford for one year), and Luxury (which will run through your available funds in about six months). The tablet doesn't really go into details about what those arrangements represent.

Genevieve: You have a surprisingly large sum in your accounts, in the low six figures. You're offered living arrangements labeled 'Basic' (affordable for two years), Advanced (four months) and Luxury (two months). Again, no further information is provided.

Victoria: You have a five figure account balance, and are offered living arrangements labeled 'Basic' (affordable for a year) and Advanced (affordable for two months). There's a little notation beside each of those options, though -- 'Includes Chemical Support.'

Jaina/Jacen: Your account is in the high eight figures. Your offered living arrangements include 'Basic' (affordable for a bit more than three centuries ), Advanced (affordable for a bit more than seventy-five years) or Luxury (thirty-two years).
"Any questions?" Emiri asks as you take in this information.

"Yes," says Billie, holding up their tablet and shaking it slightly. "According to this, I have a negative account balance. What's going on here?"

The doctor blinks, walks over to Billie's bed, and looks at the tablet. "That is indeed what it says, and the negative balance is equal to what we charge for the process," she confirms after a moment. Apparently, you had no funds when you died."

"Except that's crap!"

"Please calm down," says Emiri, taking a step back from Billie.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Victoria puzzles over what she is being shown on the tablet and raises her eyebrow at Billie's outburst. "Maybe you mixed mine with his, or I really am mad. Pretty sure I didn't have money like this, much less this much left over after the procedure costs... what's going on?"
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Genevieve thinks about what happened to Jack, and Billie's recently-voiced suspicions, and when Emiri backs away she raises her hand. "Oh! Miss doctor, I have a question!"

She holds up her tablet and points to the living arrangements. "What are the basic arrangements like? It doesn't really say. Oh! And is there any sort of remedial school for us or anything?" She smiles innocently. "I think my high school diploma is a teensy bit out of date."
Davies

Post by Davies »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:57 am"Maybe you mixed mine with his, or I really am mad. Pretty sure I didn't have money like this, much less this much left over after the procedure costs... what's going on?"
Before the doctor can respond, Billie's head snaps in your direction. "My preferred pronoun is they." This is delivered in a very icy tone.

Emiri quickly moves over to the translator. "I'm very sorry, but I don't have any specific information about what sort of financial problems any of you might have experienced one thousand two hundred years ago, or what might have happened to your finances since then. I can arrange a meeting with someone who might be able to do that."
RainOnTheSun wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 am "What are the basic arrangements like? It doesn't really say. Oh! And is there any sort of remedial school for us or anything?" She smiles innocently. "I think my high school diploma is a teensy bit out of date."
"Ah, yes. Basic living arrangements would consist of a furnished one room apartment in a rooming house or other complex, with a private bathroom and shared cooking and laundering facilities. Advanced living arrangements are furnished one room apartment in a slightly more modern complex, with private bathroom, cooking and laundry. Luxury would basically consist of a private villa or manor -- and you would be housed in advanced arrangements until you'd selected the exact property of your preference," she rattles off.

"Continuing your education would be one of the options available to you under the heading of a job, as we pay students rather than requiring payment from them."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"What is the life expectancy of these clone bodies?" she asks.

Ask for more details about the luxury accommodations.

I lived in a five room apartment in 2060. I don't see why I would need a big place here.

Because you can afford.

I could afford it then. You liked your cars and servants. I didn't do that then. I won't now.

(after those answers)

"What about my devices? You mentioned one, presumably the mask, was 'damaged'. When or with whom can I discuss that?"

(ooc: Is there anything else on the tablet besides the figure? Jaina would attempt to see what else the tablet can do.)
Last edited by jmucchiello on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.