[IC] To Live ... [2]: Last Night I Went To Manderley Again

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Davies

Re: [IC] To Live ... [1]: The Sun, The Rain, And The Appleseed

Post by Davies »

All:
Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm"A Relation to Malik Zayne, singer/songwriter, turn of the century? Had some really good hits after winning popularity on one of those televised talent competitions? That's pretty awesome." Marcus says nodding approval.
"Thanks," Billie replies, without blinking an eye.

Genevieve and Emiri catch up to you fairly quickly, and you proceed down the hall for several minutes, again passing under the glass ceiling which shows a clear blue sky, before you come to a doorway, marked in both English and a written language that resembles what you saw on Emiri's display: "LOST PROPERTY". The door opens onto a room around the same size as the lecture hall, but almost completely filled up by something which looks like a Star Trek transporter platform. The doctor heads over to a control panel, and inserts her left hand into a slot on it.

"All right," she says.

A moment later, after a familiar sounding whine, Binary's circlet and wrist blaster appear on the platform, the former showing no visible signs of damage. When she puts it on, however, it immediately transforms into its helmet form -- and the damage, a fairly large crack leading down to the right eye, becomes apparent. It seems to be functioning perfectly, and Binary is filled with her usual power ... but you are unable to separate into two individuals. Also present is a set of ear buds that don't appear to connect to anything.

"Unfortunately, the damage to the helmet, done when Little Red Riding Gun defeated your necromantically animated corpse, has been beyond our ability to repair, as it was created by an alien species now extinct," Emiri says through a translator attached to the console.

Once Binary has picked up her property, there's another whine, and Freebird's awesome suit, Stratocaster, Hum-V, and cancellation headphones also appear.

"These are, unfortunately, replicas," said Emiri. "The originals were destroyed shortly after your demise."

Freebird could almost guess that this was the case when he picks up the Stratocaster -- it feels decidedly cold to the touch.

Again, once he's picked up his gear, there's one more whine, and Inquisitor's armored costume appears on the platform. "Also a replica," Emiri comments. "Though one that employs more modern, energy resistant materials in its weave."

One more whine, and another set of earbuds appear on the platform. The doctor beckons Peacekeeper to go pick them up. "They are designed to connect you to our air traffic control. Given the number of delivery drones in the air at all times, you should probably consult with them before making any broad jumps. Yours work the same," she adds to Binary, then turns to Marcus. "Yours have been incorporated into your headphones."

Once everyone has picked everything up, the doctor continues. "All right, clothes. If one of you would care to step onto the platform, I'll set it up to holographically project a set of clothes you specify onto your person. They'll be manufactured while you wait and made available to you before you depart the hospital." She glances at Genevieve, Marcus, and the door, briefly.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Marcus waves off the question of clothes as he examines the Stratocaster. The internal power supply was at 11. No surprise there.

He tunes it just by tapping on the side once and listening to the micro-vibrations travel along the strings.

He hits a button which engages the acoustic emulator. He'd been thinking about the first song he'd play in this place. He'd finally settled on one who's lyrics were perfect. He'd often wondered, usually while high, why the verses were present tense but the chorus was past tense, but that's what made it perfect now.

He strummed the guitar once and the notes filled the chamber. He released a breath, like a marksman's exhalation just before pulling a trigger, and applied fingers to strings picking out a cascade of notes. It was a classic, old in his time, a memory of days past. The tune and words may be familiar to any assembled and his singing, while not stellar, was earnest and emotion-filled.

"Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road," he sang addressing everyone, sharing this journey with them,
"Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go," He nods at the doctor, a representation of their new lives,
"So make the best of this test and don't ask why," His gaze had shifted to the skeptical telepath, with her questions of her own sanity,
"It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time," Marcus looked at Genevieve for this line, but the wistful look shared that maybe they both had lessons to learn.
"It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right," He looked at Billie for this line, reassuring the being even through their doubts,
"I hope you had the time of your life." He looks to Binary with a nod.
A sweep of the room once again includes everyone as he slows the repeated chorus.
"It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right, I hope you had the time of your life"

He repeats the notes with crystal clear, impeccably precise plucks of the stratocaster's strings.

Good Riddance: 1d20+8 16 singing, though that's actually 10 since I don't have ranks in singing. Something to rectify in the future maybe.
guitar: 1d20+8 26 guitar playing is um... wow!
"Something pithy this way comes."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

Binary holds the circlet in her hand. She is obviously in shock. She puts the circlet on her head. The weight of the strange metal is familiar and instantly power surges through her body. Her face is covered in a mask, an obvious crack runs through the right eye. Her hospital gown is replaced by a teal and red body suit. She feels whole for the first time since awakening.

Should we try to split?

We have to know.

She thinks the exit thought and nothing happens. Again. And again.

Damn, I knew it. I knew it. We're stuck.

I'm so sorry, Jacen.

It's not your fault. You'll figure it out eventually, right?

Oh, yeah. Sure.

At this point, Marcus starts singing. When he finishes, Binary says, "My uncle loved that Weezer song."

OMG, it wasn't Weezer. It was Nickelback.

Oh, right.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"My research showed it was written by Billie Joe Armstrong. Performed by 'Green Day'." Marcus gently corrects.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

"When all of it's banned as degenerate art, it's hard to keep track of who sang what," Genevieve says. "I've never heard that song before. It's nice."

She steps onto the platform. "If we're going to see job counselors, I'd better wear a suit," she says. She looks at Emiri, but the doctor's scrubs don't give her much of a hint on local fashion. "I'll want some casual clothes too, of course, and something for the gym, but I can probably buy those on my own time."
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:56 amShe steps onto the platform. "If we're going to see job counselors, I'd better wear a suit," she says. She looks at Emiri, but the doctor's scrubs don't give her much of a hint on local fashion. "I'll want some casual clothes too, of course, and something for the gym, but I can probably buy those on my own time."
"Something like this?" the doctor asks, and abruptly you appear to be dressed as follows. You even have the sensation of fabric against your skin.

"We can adjust the color to whatever you'd prefer. The system is also taking your measurements so as to provide appropriate foundation-wear -- sorry, undergarments."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

INQUISITOR (Victoria Riese)
1 :HP ο COND: Healthy

Victoria waits until Genevieve is done on the platform before moving up, eager to be wearing actual clothing. "I was never big into fashion or anything for...reasons. Just something warm enough and easy to move in is fine."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Peacekeeper

Genevieve looks down at her holographic suit. "Wow, I can even feel it," she says, rubbing the fabric of her sleeve between her thumb and her index finger. She stretches, swings her arms and legs, throws out a few punches and kicks, and finally braces herself and claps her hands together almost too quickly for the eye to follow. The sound echoes off the walls, and she looks at her sleeves for any sort of damage.

A second later she looks embarrassed and laughs. "It's not like a hologram would tear, anyway," she says to Emiri. "But please make the real thing out of a sturdy material, if that's possible. If clothes like these are in fashion here, they're fine with me!"

Assuming there's no problem, she gets off the platform and inspects her new earbuds.
OOC: Does the holograph feel solid to her radar sense, too?
Davies

Post by Davies »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:20 am "It's not like a hologram would tear, anyway," she says to Emiri. "But please make the real thing out of a sturdy material, if that's possible. If clothes like these are in fashion here, they're fine with me!"
Emiri nods. "I'm adding a frexon layer beneath the synthweave."
OOC: Does the holograph feel solid to her radar sense, too?
They feel about as solid as a force field would, or maybe a bit like a force net.
EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 am Victoria waits until Genevieve is done on the platform before moving up, eager to be wearing actual clothing. "I was never big into fashion or anything for...reasons. Just something warm enough and easy to move in is fine."
"Well, we're coming into early spring at the moment, soooo ..." The doctor trails off as a jacket, shorts and tights combo appears on your person, along with a cap and a pair of comfortable running shoes. "I should also note that your armor-wear would probably not arouse too much comment as a public garment."

Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

"I'll go for comfort." Marcus says. He'll put on the dark grey thermal suit. It was mostly skin tight and surprisingly very comfortable for an implement meant for work. But then he'd based it off a covert ops suit and he supposed the bond types prized comfort. Whatever the reason he'd have a wardrobe that could go over it.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

Binary switches off the mask. "I wouldn't mind something in between the other two women's choices," she says. "Something business casual. A long skirt wouldn't be bad."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

When Marcus steps up, wearing the replica of the suit he bore that day he requests loose clothing for over it.

Gyspy/Harem pants in bright colors/patterns.

Loose shirts and ponchos.

Things with drawstrings, but including those clasps so you don't even have to go through the effort of tying the drawstrings.

He also requests sandals and crocs. Though the suit included foot coverings, he could see a time when he wouldn't bother with it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

jmucchiello wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 pmBinary switches off the mask. "I wouldn't mind something in between the other two women's choices," she says. "Something business casual. A long skirt wouldn't be bad."
"Would this be acceptable?" the doctor asks.

If need be, she lengthens the skirt and adds heels -- you feel your heels pushing up above the platform floor.
Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:22 pm When Marcus steps up, wearing the replica of the suit he bore that day he requests loose clothing for over it.
Emiri does her best to accommodate your requests, and produces an outfit that combines the pants of the second image with the poncho from the third.

Billie quietly describes what sort of clothes they'd prefer; perhaps unsurprisingly, the outfit includes a trenchcoat.

The cigarettes are not part of the outfit, Freebird.
"All right, your outfits should be ready in about fifteen minutes," Emiri eventually says. "There's a lounge a bit further down the hallway where you can wait."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

BINARY

"Are heels still in style?" she asks. "Okay, sure."

You're quiet.

I didn't want to intrude on dress up time.

Ha ha.

Binary switches back to hero form for the walk to the lounge. It was better than walking around in a hospital gown.
Davies

Post by Davies »

All: The lounge consists of a handful of chairs set on a balcony overlooking a lobby area, where you can see even more people walking along, or being carried by floating beds, or sitting and talking to each other. There are a few people already here -- two dark-skinned women in scrubs speaking in a language unlike that spoken by most of the people you've encountered so far, and a petite blonde woman in a gown rocking an infant, and singing fragments of song in yet another language. None of them give you more than a brief glance.

It comes to you, then, that you've been in this world for nearly three hours.