[OOC] The New Mythos

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: The New Mythos [3e, Recruitment open to 5/1]

Post by jmucchiello »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:01 pm @jmucchiello: Hmm... Spirits certainly exist, but even in comparison to what is known of supernaturals, how they operate and what they're even capable of is largely a mystery. At a best guess from the more spiritually sensitive, they exist largely as imprints within Earth's magical field. Everyone has an imprint of their own, but sometimes they... Linger after death. Perhaps in this case, her ancestor's spiritual imprint was drawn to her own durring Inheritance?
Well my idea is a little different. The fox-spirit is not an ancestor. Kira's ancestors use to bond with the fox-spirit: the SAME fox-spirit. The fox-spririt is (common definition) immortal. The ancestors use to be able to bond with the spirit long ago when magic was more ubiquitous. Since the "event" the level of magic has returned to a level where the immortal spirit can once again bond with people of the proper lineage.

Pretend the fox-spirit lives in a side dimension where they are playing a video game and humans in our dimension are the toons/avatars for the game. That idea in inaccurate since the toon, Kira, still has free will. So the fox-spirit can't really control her, but the relationship is still similar to my analogy. The retro-virus is still necessary so Kira is able to receive the spirit and benefit from their union. But the source of all of her "powers" is the fox-spirit, and thus her powers should have "spirit" as their descriptor (if I missed any, I'll update later).

As I said, if you don't want there to be powerful immortal spirit poking their heads into our realm, I'll make up a different character. (A different character because explaining the spells doesn't work well for this character without my toon/avatar thing.)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I suppose to be frank, it dosn't quite suit the setting as is. However, if you made her powers more attributed to her status as a kitsune and lost the 'great fox spirit's aspect, she would work just fine. You're free to make another character as well, you still have plenty of time for that. I don't mean to be pushy, I do like her as a concept. Just needs a bit of adjustment.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

"Status as a kitsune" in folk tales is she is happened upon by a man and is forced to marry him. This is not a useful superpower. :) Their other powers are being able to take the form of humans and a multi-tailed fox and having a lot of wisdom. kitsune aren't very combat oriented or flashy.

By making her a spirit, she could do magic things. But that's not how magic works in this game. So I'll do something else. Did anyone say siren? I saw a mermaid mentioned but not a siren. Or maybe a young dragon. :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Taking from the Wikipedia article;
Other supernatural abilities commonly attributed to the kitsune include possession, generating fire or lightning, willful manifestation in the dreams of others, flight, invisibility, and the creation of illusions so elaborate as to be almost indistinguishable from reality.[16][21] Some tales speak of kitsune with even greater powers, able to bend time and space, drive people mad, or take fantastic shapes such as an incredibly tall tree or a second moon in the sky.
Illusions, foxfire, turning into an orbiting astral body... ;)
They have many interpretations, though I'm merely showing for the sake of example. You're free to do something else if you wish.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Well I'm an idiot. how did I miss that? I guess I was focusing on the folklore and the summaries didn't get into those specifics.

So if I just dump the fox-spirit from the background and rename the array "supernatural abilities" everything is copacetic?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

We'll take a looksy once you're all set, but I think things should be fibe after that.
------------
Loneclaw

Post by Loneclaw »

Melanie "Arachne" Rogers - PL 8
Place of Birth: Illinois, USA
Eyes: Crimson | Hair: Black | Skin: Pale White
Height: 7' (213 cm) | Length: 8' (244 cm) | Legspan: 41'2" (1255 cm) | Weight: 485 lb. (220 kg)

Strength 8, Stamina 8, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 0, Presence 2

Advantages
Attractive*, Benefit - Wealth (well-off), Connected, Fast Grab, Improved Grab**, Improved Hold, Startle
*Advantages granted by power.
**Improved Grab is granted by Extra Limb, as per the power's description.

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+5), Insight 6 (+6), Intimidation +12 (+16)**, Perception 6 (+6), Persuasion 6 (+8), Stealth +12 (+10)*
*Skill modifier granted by power.
**Skill granted by power. Limited to arachnophobes.

Powers
Arachnid Stealth: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Stealth +12 (+10))
Enhanced Physique (Advantages: Attractive)
. . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Stamina 4 (+4 STA)
. . Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR)
Feature Can fit in any space as if she was Size rank -2
Regrowth: Regeneration 1 (Every 10 rounds)
Spider Body: Growth 4 (+4 STR, +4 STA, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size rank, +4 mass ranks; Permanent)
Spider Legs
. . Feature Can't be tripped
. . Elongation: Elongation 2 (Elongation: 60 feet; Limited: Legs only, Permanent)
. . Extra Limbs: Extra Limbs 2 (2 extra limbs; When working in unison, the spider legs function as up to two extra arms)
. . Leaping: Leaping 1 (Leap 15 feet at 4 miles/hour)
. . Speed: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)
Spider Senses: Senses 5 (Accurate Ranged Touch, Darkvision)
Spider Web and Venom
. . Create Web: Create 8 (Volume: 125 cft., DC 18; Feature: Can be used as glue or adhesive tape, Impervious, Innate, Stationary, Subtle: look natural, Tether; Distracting, Limited: Can only create spider web and silk, Permanent, Quirk: Reduced Volume, Quirk: Stationary requires anchor)
. . Venom: Progressive Affliction 8 (1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 18; Progressive; Grab-based, Slow: 5 minutes between checks)
. . Web Trap: Progressive Shapeable Area Affliction 4 (1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless and Immobile, Resisted by: Parry, Overcome by Damage, DC 14; Shapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 14, Extra Condition, Progressive, Subtle, Triggered 2: 2 uses - Touch; Custom: Takes one round per cft to set up, Distracting, Limited Degree)
. . Web-binding: Cumulative Affliction 8 (1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless and Immobile, Resisted by Parry, Overcome by Damage, DC 18; Cumulative, Extra Condition; Grab-based, Limited Degree)
Trigger Arachnophobia: Enhanced Trait 4 (Traits: Intimidation +12 (+16); Limited: to arachnophobes)
Wall-crawling: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling 2: full speed)
Web Sense: Senses 4 (Extended Touch 4: x10k; Limited: Must use web as medium, and only while in physical contact with it)

Offense
Initiative +2
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 18)
Throw, +0 (DC 23)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 23)
Venom: Progressive Affliction 8, +8 (DC Fort 18)
Web Trap: Progressive Shapeable Area Affliction 3 (DC Parry 13)
Web-binding: Cumulative Affliction 8, +8 (DC Parry 18)

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 28 + Powers 64 + Advantages 3 + Skills 7 (21 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 120

Complications
Famous on the Web: Melanie caught a lucky break in being one of the first in a new wave of YouTubers—Supernatural vloggers. Although she lost her job as a barista due to her transformation, Melanie now has an above average income making videos where she talks about and shows her daily life. Of course, being about the only drider YouTuber probably helps with that. Of course, being internet famous and recognizable can be both positive and negative.

Prejudice: Ever since her transformation, Melanie has been treated very differently. Typical reactions include head turning, eyebrow raising, and keeping one's distance. Then there's the occasional arachnophobe who straight up freaks out, or "monster chaser" trying to woo her. For the most part, people just seem to be uncomfortable around her.

Motivation - Acceptance and Recognition: Coming to terms with her transformation was very tough for Melanie. She's since come to accept her new existence and is currently doing her best to own it too. Still, Melanie feels a strong need to be accepted and even validated, which often manifests itself as a need for attention. Nothing makes her feel better than hearing people say good things about her.

Nutritional Requirements: Melanie needs to eat 2.5 times as much as a normal human in order to avoid starvation, and out of this 85% needs to be rich in protein. As such, much of her income is spent on food, usually on meats.

Responsibility - YouTuber: Although she's been lucky to get popular enough to make a living off of YouTube in just one year, having such a young channel also means that she has to make a video at least once every other day in order to keep a steady stream of ad revenue flowing. This kind of job also requires her to be active in social media.

Appearance
Melanie has the body of a massive black spider below her waist. The rest of her body is well-built, pale white, and traditionally attractive. She has shoulder-length black hair and crimson eyes. While her upper body is mostly human-looking, Melanie has a pair of large, retractable fangs in her mouth.

Personal History
Melanie Rogers grew up in the village of Elizabethtown, Illinois. She was an only child in a household that was working class and conservative. Much to her parents' dismay, Melanie showed very tomboyish tendencies at an early age, preferring to play with boys and keeping common house spiders as pets. Her parents did their best to try and guide her into "the right direction" and tolerate what they couldn't "fix."

When Melanie reached puberty, she noticed a lack of attraction to boys, followed by the realization that she was attracted to girls, and she made sure to keep this secret from her parents. It wasn't until her mid-teens that Melanie got her first, secret, girlfriend, and the two did a pretty good job of hiding their relationship. That is, until prom night in her senior year of high school.

Both she and her girlfriend went to prom without dates, after which they attended a post-prom party that had, unbeknownst to their parents, alcoholic beverages. Melanie accidentally got drunk and proceeded to make out with her girlfriend right in front of several of their classmates, one of whom recorded it on his phone and posted it on facebook. It didn't take long for their parents to find out about it, and they were furious. The argument between Melanie and her parents got so heated that she just decided to pack whatever she could carry and leave. On her way out of Elizabethtown, Melanie asked her girlfriend to come with her, but she didn't want to leave, making Melanie even more upset.

Melanie left for the Mirum Urbem, where she had an online friend, Sarah Williams, who let her sleep at her place and even helped get her a job as a barista at Starbucks.

Over a decade later, Melanie still had the same job but now lived in her own apartment. Spending her free time perusing the web, watching YouTube, and hanging out with Sarah. Her life wasn't really that exciting, but she didn't really mind all that much.

When she caught the Devolution Virus, Melanie was so overcome with hunger that she practically emptied her fridge and freezer, after which she fell into a food coma. When she finally woke up, Melanie was horrified to find her entire lower body to be that of a giant spider. Once the initial shock had passed, she called in sick to work and spent the whole day trying to figure things out and watching the news. Melanie had Sarah come over to bring her groceries and give her emotional support. Unfortunately, Sarah was arachnophobic and as soon as she saw her friend, she dropped everything and fled. Melanie was very distraught by this, but she thought better than to run after her.

Without her usual outlet for her feelings, Melanie decided to use her webcam to record herself saying what she needed to say. Without thinking much of it, she then uploaded that video on YouTube, and it went viral. Over the next few days, while Sarah refused to answer her calls, Melanie found that a lot of the comments her video got helped console her, even though a lot others were downright toxic or creepy.

Eventually, Melanie was contacted by Starbucks' legal team, who wanted to "cut their losses" in regards to some of their transformed employees. They offered her in particular $100,000 to resign, as they believed employing her would hurt sales, but couldn't legally fire her for this obvious reason. Melanie accepted their offer, went out and bought some professional video equipment, and decided to take advantage of her internet fame by making more vlogs under the handle "Arachne."

After almost a year, between the ad revenue, Patreon patrons, and merchandise sales, Melanie now makes enough money to live comfortably. Her distinct appearance and content has made her the center of attention at several conventions, ranging from VidCon to DragonCon. Sadly, Sarah has practically cut off all contact with her, and Melanie is struggling to move on.
Last edited by Loneclaw on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Interesting set up, and an adorable picture. I look forward to reading her backstory once you're finished with it.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

When I was planning a kitsune, it was going to be mainly illusions, a fox fire blast and the fox form, poooooossibly a thing with leaves that could create temporary tools, weapons or disguises (non illusory disguises anyway)

If any of that helps. :)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I can't get illusion costs to fit the PL with a decent DC. Illusion 7 is only a 5 x 5 x 5 cube (125 cu ft.) and since they should indistinguishable from reality, that's 4 or 5 senses for 28 or 35 PP. That's DC 17 which is still below "average" for PL 8. And that's before buying stuff like linked damage effects. Can't afford it.

I'm just going to rejig some of the "spells". Fox Spirit Rush just becomes a lightning attack. I've added an out of combat dream walking power (which is Illusions linked to Mind Reading. limited "must be asleep" helps). Just can't find room for flight. Oh well.

I also figured out that a fox is not two sizes smaller than a human. Only one size reduction is needed.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

You didn't have to try loading up all those abilities, they're only speculative after all. :lol: Her illuisons wouldn't have to be actually indistinguishable, y'all are just artating out after all. Room to grow and improve, all that jazz.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Actually, since writing that I've found the points for illusion. :) (Only at sight and sound level, but I've linked environment to it so I kinda get tactile for free. :) ) Although you might nix the environment build.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Question... are only people affected by the virus or can animals have changed too ?

My dryad build is not working the way I wanted it too...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

There have been rumors, but nobody's confirmed anything just yet. Though as the saying goes, where there's smoke...
------------
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

Here is my submission. I may still do additional tweaking. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Complete backstory to follow.

Jessica "Jessie" Epper - PL 8

Abilities:
Strength 4, Stamina 6, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 3, Intellect 2, Awareness 1, Presence 3

Advantages:
Close Attack 5, Connected (free), Equipment 1, Evasion, Fearless, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Languages 1, Ranged Attack 2, Taunt (free), Well-informed (free)

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+9), Athletics 6 (+10), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Acting 6 (+8), Insight 6 (+7), Intimidation 3 (+6), Investigation 3 (+5), Perception 9 (+10), Persuasion 6 (+9), Vehicles 6 (+8)

Powers:
Claws: Strength-based Damage 4 (DC 23)
Demon Immunities: Immunity 7 (Environmental Conditions (All), Suffocation (All))
Demon Vision: Senses 3 (Darkvision, Infravision)
Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Stamina 3 (+3 STA)
Enhanced Ability: Enhanced Strength 3 (+3 STR)
Flight: Flight 6 (Speed: 120 miles/hour, 1800 feet/round; Wings)
Immunity: Immunity 4 (Aging, Disease, Poison, Sleep; Limited - Half Effect)
Tail: Extra Limbs 1 (1 extra limb, Advantages: Improved Grab)

Equipment:
Cell Phone (Smartphone), Restraints, Undercover Shirt

Offense:
Initiative +3
Claws: Strength-based Damage 4, +8 (DC 23)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 14)
Sword, +8 (DC 22)
Throw, +4 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 19)

Complications:

Fame: Jessie has acted in several low budget horror films and had small roles in other films and TV shows. She is recognizable to fans of her films and the TV shows she has appeared on.

Motivation: Recognition and Thrills: Since her transformation, Jessie was worried about losing her fans and the ability to work as an actress and stunt person. Fighting crime is newsworthy and dangerous and thus fuels her desire for recognition and her need for thrills.

Mythic Weakness: Holy Water and blessed objects. As a Demon, Desitza is vulnerable to Holy Water and items blessed by a Holy person.

Prejudice: Demonic appearance. Despite the public being more accepting of transformations, there are still some that view Jessie with fear and suspicion due to their religious beliefs including some members of her own family.

Languages:
English, Spanish

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 8, Toughness 8, Will 7

Power Points:
Abilities 36 + Powers 35 + Advantages 15 + Skills 19 (57 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 123
Free Advantages with Presence: Connected, Taunt, Well Informed.

Backstory:

Jessica grew up in a typical middle class family living in a single story ranch style house in the suburbs with her parents, older brother, and younger sister. As a child, Jessie was always doing ‘crazy’ stunts that made her parents freak out. Whether it was swinging really high at the playground and leaping off, riding her bicycle over makeshift ramps, jumping off the roof of her house, or some other risky stunt. As she grew older, her stunts became more and more dangerous, especially after she got a driver’s license and quickly received several tickets for speeding and reckless driving.

After high school, her parents were pushing Jessie to attend college and settle down into a nice, safe, and lucrative career like her brother who was studying Engineering. Jessie was not interested and had her heart set on moving to California and becoming an actress and stunt person. After a major argument with her parents over her future, Jessie gathered what would fit in her car and left for California.

Once there, it wasn’t long before her natural athleticism and fearlessness landed her some small jobs as a stunt person. It wasn’t much but it was what Jessie loved doing. Within a few years, she was receiving more and more jobs and even did some acting, mostly in low budget horror films. Initially the roles were the typical female victim type but gradually got more interesting, especially when she was cast as the maniac killer in the first of the’ Nightmare at the Sorority’ series where she got to ‘kill’ sorority girls and frat boys alike. Critics called the film a ‘Fresh take on the maniac killer trope’, ‘Innovative’, and other positive comments.

Everything changed for Jessie when she caught the Devolution Virus. Her body changed dramatically, morphing into a creature straight out of the Bible, a Demon.

Jessica became depressed after her transformation. The thought of losing her ability to do the work she loved and never being able to have a boyfriend again took a heavy toll on her. Months later, after resigning herself to her fate, she realized there was something she could do. She was stronger and tougher than she had ever been. She knew how to fight and wasn’t afraid of danger. Every night on the news there were stories of robberies, bombings, arsons, and now some of the people that had transformed as she had were using their new abilities for crime and terrorizing citizens. Jessie knew in her heart she couldn’t allow that to continue unchallenged. Jessie adopted the demonic name Desitza and set out to combat those who would prey on innocent people. Soon, she was grabbing headlines in newspapers and the local news was focusing on her efforts to stop the new criminals. Desitza gladly gave interviews to the media when asked. Her sense of self-worth and ego grew with all the media attention. Desitzas exploits also caught the attention of convention organizers. They took out ads asking her to contact them. Now, Desitza fights crime and earns good money posing for photos and signing autographs at conventions all over the U.S.
Last edited by CaptainChaos on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.