[OOC] The New Mythos

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Re: The New Mythos [3e, Recruitment open to 5/1]

Post by EpicEclipse »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:28 pm Hmm... I understand what you want to go with (Whom I dosn't get enough love for how aeesome his quirk is). I worry though that the feature sounds like a powerful, single point Variblable. What if, something like...

Morphic Hands: Feature 1 (Never count as using Improvised Tools)
Morphic Senses: Variable ?, Limited to Senses only.

...Or perhaps another alternate effect, granting things like radial fission, elongated hearing, etc. The idea isn't an issue, I just think the benefit is more powerful then a single feature should allow.
I'm with you on the aspect of adding additional eyes or whatnot. I think so far as just changing where on her body her existing features are though seems fair for Feature 1 since any actual benefit she gets for it is being paid for through the other powers that make such a feature even useful (insubstantial and elongate mostly)

Being able to see or speak in two places, even if limited by elongate, does seem worth more though, which is why I was toying with the idea and didn't include it yet mechanically.

Variable 1 for specific features (like extra mouth(s)) or senses, or even remote sense (limited to where she can elongate to) would certainly fit the bill. Should be worth a Limited flaw on variable since it is fairly specific what it is for and only one rank of it should be enough for my purposes.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Alright then, I'll have to see what you come up with but I think it could work out.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

So far:

jmucchiello, Foxy, aka Kira Donal, kitsune, stage magician, female
Loneclaw, Melanie "Arachne" Rogers, drider, youtuber, female
CaptainChaos, Jessica "Jessie" Epper, demon, actor/stunt person, female
Epic Eclipse, ???, amorphite, ??? (in progress), female
Arkrite, Felix Ian Xavier, Technomancer, electronic repairs, male
Bladewind, Copper, dragon, male
Camus, Rafael Schults AKA Treant, treant, male

"Called"
Plan b: Orc
Pathfinderq1: Pixie or Sorcerer or Hunter/Slayer
JDRook: "Magic Nightwing" or Nightspawn
Last edited by jmucchiello on Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

"That's 'pseudo-liquid' or 'amorphic being' thank you very much." >:|

:P
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I beleive the politically correct term is "Amorphic American". ;)
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Better?

The real question is if the goo critter is female. Although I suspect non-binary gender for some reason.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

She seems to be explicitly addressed as female in what I've seen.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Considering ex-human status, she was originally female and would continue with that in terms of addressing herself, though theoretically could indeed shift her mass to appear masculine (honestly not much of a disguise thus I am loath to use morph because it's so pricy for not being accurate..). But yes, amorphic anatomy would mean biologically asexual gender (rather than gender non-binary. It is a lack of rather than simply being deviant of the binary structure)

Mentally she is female because its what she was and is used to.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I think I'd prefer to try my best and not think too hard about the specifics... :P
------------
Arkrite

Mr. FIX I.T.

Post by Arkrite »

What do you do when you don’t feel fulfilled?
Like a piece of your soul was missing? Like what could make you whole was simply out of reach?

Felix went through life like a zombie. He did what he was expected to, got through school, got a job, but he never lived up to his potential.
He barely passed his classes, never went to college, and instead of accomplishing some grand goals he fell into his hobbies, sci-fi novels, cyberpunk rpgs, and repairing and repairing any electronics or machines he could get his hands on.

And then the Devolution Virus hit. And Felix’s soul slowly became to come whole. A manic energy filled him, an energy that surrounded and filled everything, but for Felix he felt it strongest in the computers, cars and machines he loved the most.

And the world learned of magic, Felix threw himself into learning, picking up what little he could glean and turning it into a new reality.

A new staff to channel and redirect the energies, a bitchin’ jacket to protect him, and some boxy mirror shades to show him the world hidden behind the veil.

For the first time in a long time his life was starting to make sense, he understood his place in the world, he’d become his own boss with a solid amount of business.
But that empty feeling was starting to come back.

Until a ghostly figure of a man appeared to him one day with an offer… Monetary gain to stop a criminal named Longhorn and his gang the Mazerunners.
The task brought them to a Mazerunner hideout where they ran into some innocents hooked on a drug called Mage's Breath. A highly addictive drug that temporarily gave the users magic. But without training the magic being channeled through their bodies was slowly killing them.
A quick fight sent the poor people running with only a few bruises, and revealed the Mazerunner's basement laboritory.
The source of the drug was a magical item which had gained sapience, and killed every gang member still on the site, and now turned it's focus to the new intruders.
The team defeated the magical orb, and Felix made off with an alchemical manual authored by Leonardo Di Vinci, and the shattered remains of the killer magical object.
With access to the drug limited the team took some time to recuperate and recover. Felix used his new acquisitions to build a magical "jewel" incrusted "gold" collar to let their teammate, the dog turned dragon, Copper speak with them.
Regrouping the team lost some friends who weren't interested in continuing such a venture, and gained new allies in Jenny Ember the street rat medium and Eric Sams the detective weretiger.
They tracked down a minion that worked for Longhorn and discovered that one of their "soldiers" was one of the young junkies they'd encountered on their last outing. Longhorn's minions discovered she'd had the gift of magic and were in the process of grooming her to be one of their underlings.
Once the team had taken out the others, Felix offered the young woman an oppertunity. A chance to learn magic without the strings, or ill intent from others. With the stipulation that she needed to get off the drugs, and clean up her life.
The new team encountered the leader of the Mazerunners, the massive minotaur Longhorn. The one time gang thug turned massive mythological monster attacked the team with the remainder of his gang. It went poorly for him, but before he could be defeated he made one of his gang use Mage's Breathe to gain healing powers, got himself healed up and released his own special magic on everybody there. An extra dimensional maze which would eventually lock the only exit and trap everyone inside.
Separated from his team, Felix found himself in the company of the healer who had seen better days. By channeling the healing magic through his own body, rather than through a tool, he'd accidentally riddled his own body with tumors, making it impossible for him to walk or even stand up.
Feeling pity for the tragic figure, and not willing to leave anybody in the unsettling maze, Felix brought the gang member with him. They found the exit to the maze finding their teammates and the murderous Longhorn.
Angry at Longhorn's disregard for magic, or his own people, Felix through himself into the battle taunting the minotaur. Felix's magic, and items were no match for the minotaur and the technomage was gored by Longhorn, and smashed like a carton of eggs against a wall. Only the quick intervention of the powerhouse Cheyenne stopped Longhorn, and even then Felix would have died if the gang member he'd saved hadn't gave his own life to use one last healing spell to save Felix.
Injured, exhausted, and despondent, Felix (with help) took the gang member's body out of the maze, stopping only to collect a piece of horn that had been shattered from the minotaur by Cheyenne's might blow.
Upon their escape they encountered a shadowy government agent, the elf Michael, who promised to obscure their actions but requested their assistance in the near future.
Felix returned home but discovered his left arm was beyond saving, and was forced to remove it. Rebuilding his armour, updating his headquarters, and tricking out the Herkimer Battle Jitney. He also discovered that the young woman had decided to take up his offer, to take control of her own life and learn magic.
Rearmed and ready the met with Michael who introduced himself as working for a secret government agency that was tasked with trying to police the magic and mythical aspects of the world. He asked for their assistance in rescuing another agent who'd gone missing while investigating Teran United.
Their investigation took them to the main headquarters of Teran United where they discovered one of possibly many hidden secret laboratories where questionable experiments were being done. After fighting their way through security they discovered a man powered by magical rune tattoos, much like Cheyenne's. After defeating the man Felix was able to discover that somebody had set up tattoos which would grant the normal man great power, but had hidden traps which had driven the man mad with power and was slowly burning out his body from the inside out.
Encountering a scientist who had put the tattoos on the man he discovered that the man was actually the head of security who had volunteered to prevent anybody else from having to try this untested magical "improvement". Giving the scientist a quick insight that magic being put through a non-magical human body would have disastrous results, he stole their Rune Tattoo book (discovering it to have been written with false information to sabotage people who tried to use it) and the tattooed man to fix the damage done before it killed him.
Rescuing the secret agent they escaped only to discover they weren't the only thing that had broken out.
Returning back to their homes to recover and figure out their next moves, Felix focused his efforts on once more upgrading his home into a fortress, fixing the tattoos of Captain of the security force. Once he'd confirmed the man would survive without any ill effects he dropped off the man so he wouldn't be able to find his way back.
The Captain showed up a few days later looking for a job, having been fired from Teran United after the multiple security failures. Annoyed at his own failure, Felix agreed to hire the man at least for a short probational period.
With his armor and gear once more upgraded, his base secured, and the Herkimer Battle Jitney primed for service, it was just a matter of time before they were called on again.

Felix Ian Xavier - PL 8
Theme: Drones in my Bones by Binkbeats

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 3, Intellect 3, Awareness 0, Presence 0

Advantages
Artificer, Eidetic Memory, Equipment 9, Fearless, Improved Grab, Ranged Attack 8, Well-informed

Skills
Deception 3 (+3), Expertise: Arcana 7 (+10), Insight 5 (+5), Intimidation 5 (+5), Perception 5 (+5), Persuasion 4 (+4), Technology 7 (+10), Vehicles 6 (+6)

Powers
Awakening of the Technomancer
. . Magical Senses: Senses 4 (Accurate: Magic Awareness, Awareness: Magic, Detect: Magic 1)
. . Polyglot: Comprehend 2 (Machines / Electronics)
Mantle of the Technomancer
. . Deflector Shield: Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Dodge +3 (+8))
. . Force Field: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness; Sustained)
. . Manipulator Arms: Extra Limbs 2 (2 extra limbs, Advantages: Improved Grab)
. . Memory Cloth Glider: Movement 1 (Safe Fall)
. . Reinforced Kevlar Underweave: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
Tech Mirror Shades: Senses 6 (Darkvision, Direction Sense, Microscopic Vision 1: dust-size, Radio, Time Sense)
Tech-Staff: Strength-based Damage 8 (DC 23)
. . Hover Board Mode: Flight 8 (Alternate; Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round; Platform)
Technomagic: Damage 8 (DC 23; Affects Insubstantial: half ranks, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Autonomous Repair Function: Healing 8 (Alternate; Affects Objects Only)
. . Machine Control: Cumulative Affliction 4 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Compelled, 3rd degree: Controlled, Resisted by: Will, DC 14; Affects Objects Only, Cumulative, Increased Range 2: perception)
. . Net Gun Drone (Snare): Cumulative Affliction 5 (Alternate; 1st degree: Hindered and Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Defenseless and Immobilized, Resisted by: Dodge, overcome by Damage or Sleight of Hand, DC 15; Cumulative, Extra Condition, Increased Range: ranged; Limited Degree)

Equipment
Car (The Mongrel), Cell Phone (Smartphone), Fix I.T. Electronic Repairs Store, Flash Goggles, Flashlight, Herkimer Battle Jitney, Multi-tool

Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +3 (DC Spec 10)
Machine Control: Cumulative Affliction 4 (DC Will 14)
Net Gun Drone (Snare): Cumulative Affliction 5, +8 (DC Fort/Will 15)
Tech-Staff: Strength-based Damage 8, +3 (DC 23)
Technomagic: Damage 8, +8 (DC 23)
Throw, +8 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 15)

Complications
Agh! Mother@*#in BEES! (Phobia): Felix is afraid of pretty much everything. This has resulted in him being pretty unphased by terrifying things, because he's already scared, he's used to dealing with it.
But Felix fears one thing more than anything in existence.
And that thing is bees.
BEES!
Have you seen my stuff? (Power Loss): Felix's equipment allows him to access and channel magic, but without it he's unable to use almost all of his abilities. (Awakening Of the Technomancer can be used without gear)
Hey, I have friends (Relationship): Felix has friends.
A couple friends.
Well, he might have a couple people who talk to him on a regular basis, but he likes them, dammit.
Update: The world of myth has been kind to Felix, and he has found himself surrounded by the outcasts, the outsides, the strange, the weird, and the alarmingly normal. And he is rather protective of this eclectic group of people.
This stuff isn't cheap, dammit! (Motivation: Greed): Everything costs money. His car, his house, his business, all of his fancy technology, and he kind of owes the bank on a few loans...
Yeah, he's a little weird (Reputation): Felix was a little weird and a bit of an outcast before he came into his powers.
Now he's very weird and more than a little intense.
Update: Now he's very weird, and very intense, and prone to charging in.
Longhorn (Enemy): Felix doesn't much like minotaurs, and hates Longhorn specifically. Possibly due to him being a drug dealer, possibly due to him using the dream of having magic to hurt people in an effort to make money, or just because Longhorn almost killed him and cost him his left arm.
Bleeding Heart: Felix likes to think of himself as a realist who looks out for himself first. A cold hearted hard as nails type. The reality of the situation is that he's running around trying to help people at risk to his own life, is currently mentoring a former drug user who awakened her magical talent, attempted to save a gang member who tried to kill him, and hired a man who had once attacked them after being victimized by magic gone wrong.
Magic isn't a product to abuse!: Magic turned Felix's life around, and he views it as a gift that everybody should share. So people using it to abuse, hurt or control people, or packaging it up as a product or weapon irritates the unholy hell out of him.
Not as good at hiding as he thinks he is: Felix thinks he's done everything he can to hide his identity from the government, and the general public. Evidence indicates otherwise.

Languages
Native Language

Defense
Dodge 8/5, Parry 8, Fortitude 6, Toughness 8, Will 10

Power Points
Abilities 12 + Powers 58 + Advantages 21 + Skills 14 (42 ranks) + Defenses 26 = 131

--------------------

Car (The Mongrel) - PL 8

(Alternate of Herkimer Battle Jitney)

Strength 5, Defense -2, Toughness 8, Size Large

Powers
Speed: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)

Power Points
Abilities 2 + Powers 5 + Advantages 0 + Features 0 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 1 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 8

--------------------

Fix I.T. Electronic Repairs Store - PL 8

Toughness 8, Size Medium

Features:
Communications, Computer, Concealed 1, Defense System, Dual Size: Large, Garage, Gym, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System 1, Workshop

Power Points
Abilities 1 + Powers 0 + Advantages 0 + Features 15 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 1 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 17

--------------------

Herkimer Battle Jitney - PL 8

Strength 10, Defense -4, Toughness 12, Size Huge

Features:
Dual Size (It's bigger on the inside!) 1, Remote Control

Powers
Impervious Toughness (Saving Throw: Toughness; Impervious [5 extra ranks])
Speed: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)

Power Points
Abilities 4 + Powers 13 + Advantages 0 + Features 2 + Skills 0 (0 ranks) + Defenses 3 + Equipment 0 (0 ep) + Weapons & Armor 0 (0 ep) = 22
Last edited by Arkrite on Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I know I could have built it cheaper if I'd built the powers as devices, but honestly considering how often devices get taken away... I just built them as non-device powers, and gave them the device complication anyways. All the flaw, none of the benifit ;~)

Taking his staff away pretty much gets rid of his Technomagic container. Losing the jacket costs him all the Mantle powers. Take out the glasses, none of the sense powers.

Technically they're just focuses for his abilities, so it wouldn't make sense for people to be able to steal them and still use them.
That being said the staff is still good for hitting people and can even fly for a time before you'd need to recharge it.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Honestly, this guy just really hits the concept of how magic can operate within this setting right on the head. I love how his various equipment essentially acts as foccused spells. His backstory is really solid too, as well as some pretty practical motivations too. A hero has to eat after all.

Overall, looks pretty good at a glance.
------------
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

main post has a list of submissions and interest, courtesy of some help from Jm.
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

>Basic concept: relatively low-power sorceror, primarily gifted as Sensitive to spirits (who provide advice, and what little formal magical training she has). She has bonded with a efreet after rescuing from the ring where it had been imprisoned for (mumble mumble) years. So generally low power, but VERY gifted with fire magic (and can let the efreet take temporary control for even more power- via Holding Back).

>Longer form: In ancient times, the races of the djinn dwelt on Earth- and they were beings of great power. In their natural form, they were spirits of magic and elemental energy- to those who could see them they appeared as clouds of "smokeless fire", a description used for them by sages and scholars. But they were powerful beings, and many of them could take other forms, either by shaping the bodies from magic, or by possessing human hosts (willing or not). Some of them grew to like the sensations they felt while inhabiting a human body, and they bartered with hosts, trading 'residence' for magical power and advice. Some of them even grew greedy, and savored human sensation like the finest wine. Some of the djinn were no friends of humanity, and in time human wizards fought back, going to war with the djinn.

Many of the djinn were destroyed or driven to other realms. Some, however, were bound into ritual objects by powerful seals- rings or other jewelry were common, as were bottles and lamps. If a wizard held such an object, the djinn within it could be compelled to advise or assist. The war, it seemed, was over- and the wizards had won.

In time, the ways of magic passed from the world, and supernatural creatures faded into legend. The few free djinn, unable to sustain themselves without the power of magic, withered away- but those who had been bound into prisons lasted as long as the objects themselves- the prisons were tiny pockets in the arcane sphere (where the djinn could still draw enough magic to sustain themselves, but remained trapped). And when the Inheritance Virus struck, and the pathways of magic were re-opened, these bound djinn began to awake- they were still imprisoned, but they could sense the world outside their vessels once more. And they could speak, to those who could hear the spirits...

In one city of men, there dwelt a young woman from a troubled background. She was smart, and fueled by will and by passion. And when the Inheritance Virus was done with her, she found that she could see and hear things that no one around her noticed. Using what scant resources she could muster, she set about to learn more. Some of the voices which spoke to her offered advice, and she began to learn the ways of magic- while her talent was small, her will was strong, and to a sorceror that made a great difference. One day, she was scavenging through the burned-out remains of an old building when she found a massive ring wrought of iron and brass- as soon as she touched it a voice called out to her, and it offered a compelling bargain.

The efreet was no nearly as strong as it had been, and having seen how its brethren had died it was cautious- it would not risk being left without shelter in case of another calamity, but the lure of the larger world was SO compelling. After research amongst the spirits, and proper negotiation, a bargain was struck. The young sorceror would bond with the efreet, in effect becoming a living vessel to provide shelter and stability while still allowing the efreet to experience the wider world. In return, the efreet would act as an advisor, and it would allow her access to the magic it could wield (and it would, at need, act as a protector- it would not risk the loss of its host).
Last edited by pathfinderq1 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 pm So at this point, 90% likely to go with a Slayer/Akashic type, a low-level Sorceror who focuses their magic through their own body for enhanced physical abilities. Roughly equal chance of it being a sneaky martial artist whose powers resemble cinematic ninja tricks, or a more straightforward bruiser (closer to MCU Captain America levels than real powerhouse). The other 10% says werewolf. Doing builds now.

For background- is there a governmental or quasi-governmental agency that deal with supernatural beings and powers? Is there an informal 'network' of information and/or practitioners (Like the Paranet from the Dresdenverse)?
Perhaps yes... Perhaps not. ;)
------------