[Forever Tree]Rustdeity OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [Forever Tree]Rustdeity OOC

Post by Sakuro »

Building a story around that sounds fun. Though what you initially describe sounds academic, which is very different from Lucas and the flavor of the character. He isn't a finessed or skilled psionic. He's all intuitive. Zero training. Narrow in focus. I do not want his experience to be like Luke Skywalker learning to be a Jedi or a mage learning a ritual. I'd rather see something that pours out of him, more raw than planned (IC anyway). It could be something that builds up or progresses over time, but I'd rather avoid experiences that feel like training or research.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Ok! Here’s sons ideas...

How do you feel about witnessing something that awakens new telepathic Powers? Like, Imperious sees a cosmic entity quietly meditating, and, in a moment of satori, realization dawns on him.

How do you feel about him meeting the memetic cores—-souls—-of his ancestors? They connect him to his family traditions, which awakens this new gift.

Maybe he kicks the snot out of some stupidly powerful Nightjar, and forces it to swear its kind to abide by your house crest?

He bonds with a thoughtform to save it; it leaves shortly thereafter,but leaves a powerful gift behind?

He ventures to the Beyond? To survive, he clings to the image’s that guides him—-and discovers it holds real power.

Or so forth.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

How do you feel about him meeting the memetic cores—-souls—-of his ancestors? They connect him to his family traditions, which awakens this new gift.

Maybe he kicks the snot out of some stupidly powerful Nightjar, and forces it to swear its kind to abide by your house crest?

He ventures to the Beyond? To survive, he clings to the image’s that guides him—-and discovers it holds real power.
I like these ideas. They all have that "experience driven" trigger that I was thinking of, but couldn't quite give an example for. Well done.

The latter two I like because they're more about Lucas independently pushing that barrier within himself without consciously realizing it. Conversely, I think the first two would be easiest to work with. The first being the simplest. Brace yourself now, I'm going to share my thoughts on these.

The first idea, about Lucas meeting the memetic cores of his ancestors, is a good lower conflict option. Lucas is the last of his dynasty. This would allow for some background development of House Jaxon. I could see it as being one of the easier transitions for him using his family crest more than on banners or flags at Bastion. Imperious isn't like Superman, who wears his family crest on his chest. Though this kind of event could change that. This has a personal or familial pride aspect to it.

The Nightjar example feels too specific. It seems as if that event would imply only the Oblivion Flock would be affected by the power. Other than that, this one feels very much like the Imperious side of Lucas. It'd also give justification for other people to believe in the power of the crest. This would very much be an expression of Lucas forcing his will on a group of his enemies.

A lot of times Imperious says "X is under my protection". If we could skew events like your idea with the Nightjar beatdown towards protecting something, rather than dominating an enemy, I think that would be great. The issue would be working the family crest in, rather than just being ... what Imperious normally does.

The last one, describing the venture to Beyond, is a good general idea open to a diverse range of adventure options. Though Imperious would need a justification for leaving Earth-V and going to Beyond. Right now he doesn't care about the multiverse at large. There is too much to be done on Rustdeity. This seems like a very internalized experience too, turning that towards an external act of channeling power through a symbol might be difficult to navigate.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

OK, we’ll figure something out. How about an exchange of PMs discussing ideas?

Oh...your turn.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Talking in PMs is alright with me.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Your turn!
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

fowl corruption
Well-played, sir, well-played.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

That's me being a bad speller. An amusing catch. Think I'll leave that uncorrected.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Y’know what? Give yourself a Hero Point.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Thank you, though I'm curious why Imperious is a getting a HP. The pun?
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The unintended pun, yes.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Jax appears to have been a psycho-tyrant.

In the "Ten successive proclamations of Emperor Jax I." he sent an Arcanengine to put down an insurrection ... on a planet that had a xeno-species he was also trying to court with tax reductions. No wonder there was a massive rebellion.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

I’m glad you took time to read that. I’m about to put up another series of Earth-V messages in my Setting thread which will show just how deeply off-kilter Jax was. Like the Caesars of old, something just was never ‘on-target’ with Jax.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

These last two days have...unpleasant. Things’ll hopefully be back on schedule, tomorrow.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Alrighty, let’s get this show on the road!