[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Science and Superstition

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

Jenny had curled up on the couch- she was listening, but her head was tilted back and her eyes were closed, as if she was half-asleep (or in some kind of trance). As the explanation gave way to conversation, though, she opened her eyes and looked around the group. "In its own way, this isn't THAT different from Longhorn and his gang. Trying to mass-produce magic and sell it... This gang just has better clothes, more lawyers, and a LOT more resources- which makes them that much more dangerous. It really sounds like we ought to go check out this convention, if we can figure out a way to make that happen. I mean, Claire here found all this stuff- and we have some resources she didn't have. We might be able to dig up something even more important- or sniff out whatever tripwires she set off, because it really seems like these Teran United people might have grabbed her for snooping around." She paused and chuckled softly. "Of course, they might try to capture us too. I don't know how well that would work out for them though. The question is, do we want to do that NOW, or do we have a bit of time? With what we have here, I could put together a Divination, I think, or I could actually go out in the world and talk to some people, see if I can find something out the old fashioned way. But any of these options is going to take time? Do we have time for me to dig a bit, or should we see about going conventioning?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

As Jenny listened in on Felix, her ears would've perked up aroubd when Claire encountered the scrap of scroll. The scientist involved was someone brought into the company recently, from what spirits told her he had an interest in history. He likely lived in the same apartment building where the parking garage explosion occured.

Everyone would notice the door open slightly, but only Jenny would notice the blood stained face. "Claire... You're in danger, Claire..."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre Blanco
H.P.: 1

"I won't argue that, Cheyenne," Eric replied, a touch of a snarl on his lips. "But this isn't just building a better gun, no, more like a better tactical nuke. See the difference yet? Scared yet?"
Thanks, and have a nice day :)
------------------------------------------
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember

Jenny looked as if she was just about to add something, but then she paused and glanced over towards the front door of the apartment. She sighed, once more looking around the group. "If you'll excuse me, I think I have to take this call..." She rolled off the couch and paced over towards the door, stopping about halfway there.

Perhaps she was speaking, but it was no human language- perhaps it was nothing but a weird trick of the acoustics. It almost sounded like a soft fluttering breeze across high grass. But to those attuned to a world beyond mortal senses, it was plain speech.

"Hello. Can you hear me?," she started. Some spirits were so focused, so fixed on one specific message or task that they could do little else- that might be the case here, a father so concerned for his daughter he was able to breach the vale. That would make things complicated.

But perhaps he was present enough, complete enough, that she would be able to speak to him...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Milky blue eyes flicked over Jenny, yet they didn't seem to be really seeing her. "Danger... Need to get away, Claire... Closing in. Run."
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember

Jenny turned back to the group for a moment, repeating the words the spirit had spoken, so that the others could hear them. Then she shifted her attention back to the spirit, stepping forward close enough to touch and reaching out. "Please, we want to help Claire. Where is she? Do you know?"

This kind of interaction was always a risk. Talking, well, talking was easy. Trying to reach out, to bridge the gap between worlds- that was harder, and more dangerous. You might be able to communicate with spirits which were further away from the mortal world, more lost- but it brough them closer to you as well.

But time was short, risks must be taken.

>OOC: Any rolls needed? Or any application of sorcery which might make this easier/ more fruitful?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: Hmm... Will save.
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

>OOC: Will save, 1d20+10= 21; roll https://orokos.com/roll/857685

Might be a bit quiet for a bit- some stress going on (me and every other American, waiting for this all to sort out)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ghosts were dangerous for anyone, but for people as attuned as Jenny was they're all the more so. To reach out to a spirit with an open heart is to leave yourself vulnerable to the full weight of their emotional torments, their fears, their worries, every little thing that binds them to this plane. Yet for a venture with as much risk as this, it is not without it's rewards.

Flashes of a Claire flash before Jenny's eyes from the perspective of her late father, from the giggling little toddler who dodged him trying to dry her off after a bath all the way to the crew-cut woman departing for combat overseas after one last hug. He never lived to see her undergo Inheritance, yet the return of magic drew him back as well in a shade-like state.

Jenny digs as deeply as she cans, finding shocks of blinding lights and people in scrubs. "Get- Get the hell back! Get off me, keep that shit away from me, I'm not your-" A sharp pain, as one woman stabs Jenny's arm with a syringe. Her head feels fuzzy and vision swims, and suddenly darkness. For some reason, she thought she could hear muffled voices and see men in dark suits.

It was barely a second, yet the medium would find herself stumbling back as fatigue grips her mind.

"Go, you need to go Claire. Run... Run before they catch you..." The spirit of Claire's father pleaded, looking at Jenny yet not seeing her.

GM: So much stress, but try not to let it effect you're enjoyment. I'm trying my best there as well.
20 is a good enough roll to get something out of it, but I'm going to treat this as if it were a power stunt. Jenny is for the moment fatigued.
------------
Bladewind

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Twists and Turns

Post by Bladewind »

Mikjáll Lysanthir/ Michael Kelly
Condition: Normal
HP: 1

Quietly and with the grace you would expect from an elf - a stereotypical one anyway - Michael effortlessly crosses the room to help Jenny if she needs it. He gently guides her to a comfortable chair so she can get her bearings and hopefully relay what she saw. The ranger had no real dealings with spirits and ghosts, but his own arcane knowledge told him enough to know the risk and danger Jenny had exposed herself to.

In the back of his mind, his comment to himself about amateurs found itself sufficiently shattered.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 2

Felix slowly stands to his feet, passing his staff to one of his robot arms so he can place his right fist again the power symbol on the left side of his chest.

"Power on," He says quietly, and the jacket thrums to life. Neon green light runs down sections of the coat and he relaxes ever so slightly as he feels his forcefield come into existence.

"Guys," He says, taking his staff back into hand, "Call me paranoid but: Has anybody been watching the windows to see if whoever attacked the agent isn't coming to attack us?"
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

"Fuck! I've been so focused on memorizing her scent so I can track her, when I should've been doing that, too. I'm sorry." With that, Eric moves towards the window to peek out, trying to stay out of view of anyone from the outside.

Description Perception
Results 1d20+9: 24 [1d20=15]
Perception Roll

Description Stealth
Results 1d20+12: 16 [1d20=4]
Stealth Roll
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Tense seconds pass as Eric warily approaches the windows. They're drawn tight, and he's force to pry one of the panels open just the crack of an inch to take a peek outside. Yet all he can see is a trash strewn alleyway, with only a stray cat acting as it's sole occupant. It's ear flicks before it's head twists towards the were-tiger. They have a brief stare off before it blinks, flicking it's tale before starting to clean itself.

He'd think himself in the clear before his own ear flicks, picking up sounds from the outside the apartment door. Once he'd make his way there, he'd hear the voice of that receptionist from before.

"Are you two for real?" She seemed to speak in disbelief.

The sharp voice of a man responds, "Ma'am, we're conducting an investigation and we'd appreciate if you'd please cooperate with us. Now, if you could please take a look at this photo and tell us if she looks familiar?"

She takes a pause to presumably look at photo in question. "I... yeah, she's a tenant here. I thought you already knew though?"

"And why would we know that?" Came another speaker, sounding younger then the first man.

"Didn't you already send agents here already?"

"...What." Spoke the first, a tone with an edge capable of slicing steel.
------------
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric looked like he was about to relax at the window, when he suddenly froze. He pointed at the door, mouthing "incoming" before silently dashing towards it. Quietly, he said, "Cheyenne, get behind the door and be ready to open it. Think 'investigator annoyed at having her job interrupted.' Everyone else, cover the door, be sure Cheyenne and I aren't in the way of any nastiness you plan to toss their way." Climbing to a spot above the door, he said, "Got it?"
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 2

Felix looks around for somewhere to hide, then shrugs and simply hunkers down behind the couch. He struggles to aim his staff for a moment before one of the robot arms reaches over to help steady it for him.