Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
jmucchiello

Re: Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

Post by jmucchiello »

Develop the girlfriend more. Try to write him through her. The tough guy of the past never had a life-size angel sitting on his shoulder.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

mrdent12 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:47 am So Sort of backed myself into a corner with Rick making the loan sharking/tough guy bit his corner stone vs trying to just be a guy who runs a bar being redeemed by the love of a good woman. The criminal aspect is so engrained in the character, I can't see a way to work around it without betraying the character as created. So, I am going to have to back out.
The character does have a strong contrast to the rest of the group. I can see how a "jerk-hero" type could definitely make the game more entertaining. One of the absolute funnest characters I've ever played was similar to Rick. He was not as aggressive and threatening, but instead a womanizing, misogynistic snob. Psst...don't tell anyone...but I enjoyed it. ;)
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

The bar bit is fine to tone down. At his core, I just don't see him working with the other PCs given the stark divide without some comical transformation effectively making him a new character.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

The way I see it, it's not as contrived as you seem to be seeing it. I mean, I already mentioned an angle you could use to justify his present behavior where he's slipping backward into old mannerisms, because this letter business is freaking him out and he doesn't want to show he's freakign out, so the tough guy persona comes out. Same with back at the hospital, he gets knocked out, wakes up in a hospital in a coma ward and told a bunch of weird stuff.

It's a legitimate explanation as to why he's been "slipping" back into his old gangster persona, a defensive mechanicsm. And it makes sense at this moment now why he's still acting that way towards these people, he has no real reason to trust them yet. Once he gets closer, and can start to relax around them, boom, there you go. He relaxes, and it's not an entirely different character, just a guy who was reacting poorly to the situation. Not a big deal.

I don't think Rick is a lost cause by any measure. Just gotta work with us a bit my guy. At the end of the day, that's what roleplaying games are about, working with the other participants.

Supernaturalist: You're fine with how you used Nurse Duby. He probably caught her on a slightly better day and not the tail end of a too-long shift.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Aye, as they said. I wasn't intending you to quit the game when I first pointed things out, I was simply a mottled thrown- The state of the bar seemed more of an issue anyway, and you and epic have already done to clear that part up. We just need to give Rick some time to settle into a groove where he's not panicking over all these occurances to see how he really is normally.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Good job keeping things moving despite the hiccup. HP for everyone. Keep it up.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Thanks Epic, I appreciate it!

...This just means things are going to go terrible for us pretty soon isn't it.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Supernaturalist

Ok, so everyone should now have 2 HPs?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

That is correct.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sounds like you guys are pretty close to a consensus on going to the donut shop for that meeting with the mysterious person(s) that gave you those notes?
Supernaturalist

EpicEclipse wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:24 pm Sounds like you guys are pretty close to a consensus on going to the donut shop for that meeting with the mysterious person(s) that gave you those notes?
Sure...as long as my life insurance premiums are paid up. :)
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I'll give it one more day then move time along. It's a few days in game to the date of the meeting, so you'll have some time to do things between now and then, preparations or whatever.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

How much more power discovery should happen between now and then?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

As you guys are ramping up, it'll slow down a little, but probably about 90% overall
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Okay, so gross displays of powers are possible now though. Spark could release a burst of static electricity or find herself lost in her teleport trick. (Can't wait to write that one.)