Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
EpicEclipse

Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment to 07/27)

Post by EpicEclipse »

Disclaimer: I am not claiming credit for the idea behind this game. It is based on a game from ATT called "Hand of God" that ran too briefly years ago.

This is a game less about super powered brawls between heroes and villains, but about the perspectives of those suddenly possessing powers in a world that has yet to experience metahumans. About what they do with those powers, how they protect themselves from being hunted, exploited, or experimented on, be it for fear, research or greed.

This is a game to replace my ill-fated Vigilantes game from GR, and as such the remaining players from that game already have an in (still need to make acceptable characters though!), but I am looking to recruit a few more.

The game is M&M 3e, PL 12 with 200pp.
- Non combat skills are 3:1
- Damage may be Str based or Dex based
- Each point of Int counts as a free pp worth of skill points
- Each point of Pre grants a social-based Advantage
- I am open to consideration on custom Advantages
- Impervious works like 2e
- Time, Space past rank 1 and Dimensional past rank 1 movement powers are banned

This is a higher power game more about the characters personal growth rather than mechanical growth and progression. As such, I want people to build powerful and as close to "complete" as possible. Characters will still earn towards things through play rather than generic pp rewards (though those will still happen, just less frequently). So if a character decides they want to go study law, then they'll start earning skill points in expertise law specifically. Powers can be trained to be stronger or earn alternate effects, etc through use and stunts.

Characters must be metahumans and have a base appearance of being human. Activation of powers can of course have visible physiological changes, but when powers are inactive, characters should be largely indistinguishable from other humans.

Magic doesn't really work for this setting, nor do alien or extradimensional influences. Characters will have a shared origin for their powers, that being an event that leveled everything around them, leaving them mysteriously unharmed. This event happens in a singular place where all the characters happen to be at the same time, in the Canadian Okanagan (It's where I live, gives me a better frame of reference for places)

Lastly, due to a tumultuous work situation that is working towards resolution, this will be a slower recruitment. Not likely to start really picking before the end of June, but I'll be as active as possible for answering questions and reviewing characters.

I think that's all.. Any questions?
Submissions so far:

Jack of All by Doctor Malsyn. Mentalist.
Lloyd Lee Tremblay by supernaturalist. Paragon.
Spark by jmucchiello. Electricity Controler.
Sir Robert of Oakwood Park by nowhereman2.
Shawna Millhouse by Spectrum. Form changer.
Valiant by pathfinderq1. Telekinetic.
Rick Jones by mrdent12. Undeadish Fear Controller.
Lindy Tommasi aka Nova by CaptainChaos. Comic Powered.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
jmucchiello

Re: Gods Amongst Man Epoch (3e M&M Recruitment)

Post by jmucchiello »

Brewing up a char as I type. (Well, not really. As I wasn't expecting the 12/200....)

Damage may be STR or DEX based. That's interesting.

Can you describe the "event' better? How big an area was wiped out? And for us non-Canadians, this is the lake area in Britsh Columbia roughly half way between Calgary and Vancoover, right?
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

With how you were describing things, I was imagining something much lower PP and 'down to earth' as it were. If that's the PP and PL you really want to go with, as well as all those houserules... Man. Well, let's see what I can do with that...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I'm tentatively curious.

Please explain more about the environment? Where do you want to go with the game? Will this be more of a slice of life game?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

This sounds interesting...

I have an idea for a powerful illusionist, a doctor with healing (life) powers or perhaps a duplicator...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yeah, Dex kinda really sucks otherwise. I figured this would open it up at least a little to justify actually taking some Dex and still be able to deal damage without also boosting strength. It's an experimental house rule, but I don't foresee it breaking anything. Same with the Int rule really.

The more powerful PL situation, there is a reason for this. Superman is incredibly powerful, but his more intriguing stories have less to do with his actual powers.Talking down a jumper as a popular example. I wanted the players to feel like their characters are in fact very powerful, leagues above their fellow humans, so much so they start to feel like maybe they no longer belong. Part of the theme is coping with that divide.

The Okanagan is indeed the lake-dotted area in the mountains of southeast BC, and the event is something along the scale of a building or park being instantaneously demolished. The kind of thing noone normally walks out of. I haven't settled on the specifics of it yet.

Not suite sure what you mean specifically by "environment" though. As for the Okanagan itself, there are a lot of rich people who live in Kelowna, and there is a tangible issue with affordable rent and homelessness. Due to cost or living in the area, there are a lot of minimum wage openings because minimum wage in BC does not cut it for cost of living in the area. Visually, the Okanagan feels like a city, but spread out more. Lots of open rolling hill and lake views since it's in the mountains. Not a lot of tall buildings that aren't hotels.

As for slice of life, a bit, yeah. Though it's hardly the same kind of slice of life that normal people would relate to, lacking superpowers and all. I do have a general direction of events to occur, plot elements for characters to react to that I don't want to spoil, but on a base level, the characters having survived this thing immediately puts them in a spotlight they may or may not want, attracting attention they most likely do not want.

Bladewind: Those ideas all sound viable, considering the points you have to work with.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

I'm only in one other game (but I've been in it for quite some time). I'd like to try my hand at another game. Is it safe to say you're looking for a little more role-playing savvy and smart story-development than a game that amounts to periodic "bashing of baddies"? As for a character submission...I have absolutely no idea yet. I'll have to really think about it.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Interesting stuff then.

Hmm... I'm looking into an American businessmen who was caught in the accident. His metahuman nature resulted in supreme intellectual enhancement (InT 15), which... causes him headaches, for one. It's giving him a lot more skillpoint ranks then I first expected though.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

The weirdness with Dexterity is the fact that Dex covers throwing stuff accurately. IMO, Just make Dex half price. Sleight of Hand and Vehicle have to be neck-and-neck for the least used skill. (I'm not saying don't do it. Just pointing out an oddity)
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Pl12, 200pp certainly gives options.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Oh I know.

To be clear, like strength-based, to be Dex-based needs to have appropriate descriptors, which would be based on precision, and of course may be melee like weapon fitness from d&d
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Almost any martial art should work.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Epic, would 15 be too high for an attribute? What I have of a character is looking like a skill monkey on steroids.
------------
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:08 am Almost any martial art should work.
Very true, and those points that would normally go into a damage effect to actually do damage without boosting strength can instead be put elsewhere and result in a more rounded character.
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:16 am Epic, would 15 be too high for an attribute? What I have of a character is looking like a skill monkey on steroids.
Well, keep in mind there are a theoretical boatload of expertise skills to sink points into.

I'm more curious what you have in mind for the other 170pp.
Nareik123

Post by Nareik123 »

Totally interested in throwing my hat in. For a change from the usual weapon masters I favour, I'm brewing up a concept for a writer who got caught in the incident, who emerged with the ability to control light energy, and who can use it to enhance her personal abilities. Think a human form normally, but when she draws in light energy her form super charges and looks more akin to an Angel (although more like fantasy angels, less "I'm the most innocent thing in the world" and more "divine beat down if you break the law." Kayle from League is probably the best example I can suggest.)