The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - (Full) - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Neo-Paladin

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Recruiting

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Phew, finally done...

Samuel Jameson

„ Why Superman? Why the House of El? Let us be honest...even before the Merge, mankind worshipped a lot of gods and, frankly, most of them were jerks. Only 'deserving' of worship because of their power. Seriously, Zeus? Odin? And let's not get started on the monotheistic ones. So...why not Superman? Why not put our faith and our trust in someone powerful AND worthy for a change?“

PL9 (135)

STR: 3
STA:4
AGL:2
FGT:5
DEX:2
INT:2
AWE:4
PRE:4

52 pp

Skills:
Expertise (Current Events) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Popular Culture) 9 (+11)
Expertise (Theology) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Streetwise) 7 (+9)
Insight 8 (+12)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 9 (+13)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Expertise: Philosophy 9 (+11)

23 pp

Advantages:
(Attractive Inspire, Second Chance (Persuasion), Leadership), Ranged Combat 8, Connected, Fearless, Fascinate (Persuasion), Takedown 2, Defensive Roll 2, Close Combat 2, Improved Initiative, Languages 3 (Spanish, Latin, Kryptonian, Japanese), Interpose, Benefit (Wealthy 2), Power Attack
-25 pp

Powers:
Detect Merger: Accurate (Free)

Blessings of Rao (Array)
Invulnerability: Protection 7, Immunity 10 (Life Support), Activation (Move action): 16 pp
Flight 8 – 1 pp
Heat Vision: Ranged Damage 8 (Heat) – 1 pp
Super-Speed: Quickness 8, Speed 8 – 1 pp
Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 8 – 1 pp
Super-Senses: Senses 15 (Acute and Extended Hearing, Extended Vision 3, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4, Ultra-Hearing, Vision Penetrates Concealment (Except Lead) - 1pp

Feature: True Faith (1 pp)

22 pp

Offense:
Initiative: +6
Close Combat: + 7 (DC 26)
Heat Vision: + 10 ( DC 23)

Defenses:

Dodge: 5
Parry: 5
Toughness: 4 (+2 Defensive Roll), 13 with Blessings of Rao
Fortitude: 9
Will: 9

13 pp

Total: Abilities:52 /Skills:23/Advantages:25/Powers:22/Defenses:13

Complications

Motivation: Doing Good: Following the example of the members of the House of El means that doing good wherever possible is par for the course. It is one of his most highly-held tenets.

Uncertain Origin: Samuel does not exactly know where his powers are coming from. While he considers them a blessing for his devotion, he knows he could also simply be a metagene carrier. Nonetheless, he has not had himself tested for it on principle, preferring to take his powers on faith.

Faith: Whatever the exact origin of his powers might be, they do rely on his faith to function. Should, for some reason, his faith in the House of El and what it stands for be shaken, his powers might suffer.

Enemies: Anyone who is an enemy of the House of El would by extension be an enemy of the Church, be it people like Zod or the New Gods of Apokolips...

Background

Before the Merge, Samuel had simply been a member of one of the richer families in Bodega Bay. And while certainly aware of the many benefits money could buy and having all the tendencies of being an idle rich kid, few would have called him a jerk because of it.

Careless, a bit insensitive because hardship was unknown to him, sure, but he never intentionally put anyone down and had a friendly, outgoing streak to him that made others often overlook his flaws.

Eventually, after finishing school, he went to San Francisco to live with his then-girlfriend and to think what exactly he wanted to do with his life, for while not stupid, he had not found anything to really grab his attention.

It was during his time in San Francisco that the Merge hit and, later, the Incursion. It was then that his life changed forever. Suddenly, what had been a stroll through the streets with his girlfriend became a nightmare of rending flesh, mutation and unspeakable horror as reality buckled and vomited forth abortions of anti-creation.

He barely remembers the panicked rush through the streets, the screams, the blood, the ichor...but he remembers one thing...a figure slamming into the ranks of the unholy monstrosities with the force of a falling star, a blonde woman with a red cape bearing the sigil of the House of El.

Being things of non-flesh and unclean magic, the things managed to wound her superhuman flesh many times, battering her body and nearly killing her...but still, she fought on, heedless of the danger, intent only on saving as many as she could. It was a sight he would never forget.

In that moment, seeing Supergirl struggle back on her feet again and again, he found meaning. He found religion.

He returned home to the now rechristened town of Bay Shore few months later and, to the surprise of his peers and his parents, used his considerable funds to set up...a church. The Church of El, dedicated to the worship and praise of Superman and his family and, by extension, all those heroes who really embodied what the title meant.

People were skeptic, if not hostile to the idea at first, but Samuel's charming ways and easy-to-understand message soon attracted followers, often those who had been saved, like him, by members of Superman's extended family.

Together, they began to become active in the community and in nearby cities, volunteering and doing their very best to follow Superman's example. It was during that time that Samuel noticed that he himself was changing. During one of his sermons, his congregation suddenly began to gasp and point at him....for he had begun to float above the ground...

//He only recently got into his powers and hasn't really tested them all out...it might take a call to adventure to really have him go all-out ;)
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Sun May 19, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:33 am Detect Merger: Ranged, Accurate (Free)
I thought we only get the detect power and 2 other pp to enhance it. Ranged plus Accurate is 3.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Sorry, my bad, will correct it.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I purchased additional ranks for that. I hope that was okay. (In HeroLab, I just added -3 quirk called "free points")
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:56 pm Sorry, my bad, will correct it.
I'm not sure how Accurate without Ranged would work. No ranged would mean you only Detect it on contact, by which time you'd know accurately where it'd be anyway.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Some examples I imagine.

Detect Merger, ranged radius: You're in a room with your back to the door. A merged person walks in, Perception to 'feel' it, vaguely, behind you. You don't know who they are or exactly where until you turn around.

Detect Merger, Ranged, Acute: There's a merged person hiding in the crowd in front of you, you don't know exactly where they are but you know they're somewhere ahead and that you've felt them before...

Detect Merger, Ranged, Extended: There's a merged person somewhere way far ahead of you.

Detect Merged, Ranged, Analytical: ahead of you in that crowd there's a merged person who is a Native but also a Vulcan from the Star Trek dimension. Don't know who it is or if it's different from any other Vulcan-merged person. Of course if there's only one person and you can see them you know where they are and if you recognize them. ***EDIT: This doesn't work with points as awarded. Need Acute first. so...
Detect Merged, Acute, Analytic: Touch a merged person and know that they are merged with a Jedi.

Detect Merged, Range Tracking: there's a trail of a flying merged person going vaguely that direction in the air. I don't know what type of merged or if I've seen them before but I can follow to the area they went.

Detect Merged, Tracking 2: A Merged person walked along this area and left a trail, I can follow it quickly.

Detect Merged, Ranged, Danger Sense: A merged attacker jumps out at me. I might get a chance to act though I don't know if it's my friend Bob or exactly where it's coming from.

Detect Merged, Microscopic 2, by touch I can detect cell off of a Merged person though I don't know who or what type of merge it was. (this one raises interesting possibilities)
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Sun May 19, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Except that to have Analytical, the sense must already have Acute. I may have been spending a bit too much time reading the Senses power lately, for reasons...

Also- oh man, a Superman cleric. Am I going to need to add kryponite to the Slayer bag?

;)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Is it "three free points for detect merger" or is it "free detect (touch) merger) plus three free points (thus 4 points free)"?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:18 pm Except that to have Analytical, the sense must already have Acute. I may have been spending a bit too much time reading the Senses power lately, for reasons...

Also- oh man, a Superman cleric. Am I going to need to add kryponite to the Slayer bag?

;)
Ah, thank you for catching that, this is true.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Bladewind wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:26 am Freebies: Detect Merger. All characters have Detect Merger as a 1 point power for free and have an additional two points to enhance it as they see fit. Ranged, acute, analytical, etc. Whatever the player feels is appropriate.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Thanks Flynn, that actually helps put things all into perspective. Hmm... Maybe I should go with the danger sense version instead...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Okay, Bladewind...maybe clarify the " Detect Merger" thing a bit? Or, if this is the only thing that keeps my char from being complete, I'll forgo it completely.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:18 pm Except that to have Analytical, the sense must already have Acute. I may have been spending a bit too much time reading the Senses power lately, for reasons...

;)
Well, kryptonite won't do much against him...then again, if he doesn't get the chance to activate his powers (i.e. pray), you could just knock him flat in one round....
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:33 am Phew, finally done...

Samuel Jameson

„ Why Superman? Why the House of El? Let us be honest...even before the Merge, mankind worshipped a lot of gods and, frankly, most of them were jerks. Only 'deserving' of worship because of their power. Seriously, Zeus? Odin? And let's not get started on the monotheistic ones. So...why not Superman? Why not put our faith and our trust in someone powerful AND worthy for a change?“

PL9 (135)

STR: 3
STA:4
AGL:2
FGT:5
DEX:2
INT:2
AWE:4
PRE:4

52 pp

Skills:
Expertise (Current Events) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Popular Culture) 9 (+11)
Expertise (Theology) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Streetwise) 7 (+9)
Insight 8 (+12)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 9 (+13)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Expertise: Philosophy 9 (+11)

23 pp

Advantages:
(Attractive Inspire, Second Chance (Persuasion), Leadership), Ranged Combat 8, Connected, Fearless, Fascinate (Persuasion), Takedown 2, Defensive Roll 2, Close Combat 2, Improved Initiative, Languages 3 (Spanish, Latin, Kryptonian, Japanese), Interpose, Benefit (Wealthy 2), Power Attack
-25 pp

Powers:
Detect Merger: Range, Radius(Free)

Blessings of Rao (Array)
Invulnerability: Protection 7, Immunity 10 (Life Support), Activation (Move action): 16 pp
Flight 8 – 1 pp
Heat Vision: Ranged Damage 8 (Heat) – 1 pp
Super-Speed: Quickness 8, Speed 8 – 1 pp
Super-Strength: Enhanced Strength 8 – 1 pp
Super-Senses: Senses 15 (Acute and Extended Hearing, Extended Vision 3, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4, Ultra-Hearing, Vision Penetrates Concealment (Except Lead) - 1pp

Feature: True Faith (1 pp)

22 pp

Offense:
Initiative: +6
Close Combat: + 7 (DC 26)
Heat Vision: + 10 ( DC 23)

Defenses:

Dodge: 5
Parry: 5
Toughness: 4 (+2 Defensive Roll), 13 with Blessings of Rao
Fortitude: 9
Will: 9

13 pp

Total: Abilities:52 /Skills:23/Advantages:25/Powers:22/Defenses:13

Complications

Motivation: Doing Good: Following the example of the members of the House of El means that doing good wherever possible is par for the course. It is one of his most highly-held tenets.

Uncertain Origin: Samuel does not exactly know where his powers are coming from. While he considers them a blessing for his devotion, he knows he could also simply be a metagene carrier. Nonetheless, he has not had himself tested for it on principle, preferring to take his powers on faith.

Faith: Whatever the exact origin of his powers might be, they do rely on his faith to function. Should, for some reason, his faith in the House of El and what it stands for be shaken, his powers might suffer.

Enemies: Anyone who is an enemy of the House of El would by extension be an enemy of the Church, be it people like Zod or the New Gods of Apokolips...

Background

Before the Merge, Samuel had simply been a member of one of the richer families in Bodega Bay. And while certainly aware of the many benefits money could buy and having all the tendencies of being an idle rich kid, few would have called him a jerk because of it.

Careless, a bit insensitive because hardship was unknown to him, sure, but he never intentionally put anyone down and had a friendly, outgoing streak to him that made others often overlook his flaws.

Eventually, after finishing school, he went to San Francisco to live with his then-girlfriend and to think what exactly he wanted to do with his life, for while not stupid, he had not found anything to really grab his attention.

It was during his time in San Francisco that the Merge hit and, later, the Incursion. It was then that his life changed forever. Suddenly, what had been a stroll through the streets with his girlfriend became a nightmare of rending flesh, mutation and unspeakable horror as reality buckled and vomited forth abortions of anti-creation.

He barely remembers the panicked rush through the streets, the screams, the blood, the ichor...but he remembers one thing...a figure slamming into the ranks of the unholy monstrosities with the force of a falling star, a blonde woman with a red cape bearing the sigil of the House of El.

Being things of non-flesh and unclean magic, the things managed to wound her superhuman flesh many times, battering her body and nearly killing her...but still, she fought on, heedless of the danger, intent only on saving as many as she could. It was a sight he would never forget.

In that moment, seeing Supergirl struggle back on her feet again and again, he found meaning. He found religion.

He returned home to the now rechristened town of Bay Shore few months later and, to the surprise of his peers and his parents, used his considerable funds to set up...a church. The Church of El, dedicated to the worship and praise of Superman and his family and, by extension, all those heroes who really embodied what the title meant.

People were skeptic, if not hostile to the idea at first, but Samuel's charming ways and easy-to-understand message soon attracted followers, often those who had been saved, like him, by members of Superman's extended family.

Together, they began to become active in the community and in nearby cities, volunteering and doing their very best to follow Superman's example. It was during that time that Samuel noticed that he himself was changing. During one of his sermons, his congregation suddenly began to gasp and point at him....for he had begun to float above the ground...

//He only recently got into his powers and hasn't really tested them all out...it might take a call to adventure to really have him go all-out ;)
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Since there already is a fire controller, I wouldn't mind shifting up some of her powers to Ice, just rule it as a quirk of the character.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5