The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - (Full) - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Bladewind

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Recruiting

Post by Bladewind »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:06 pm
In regards to the sigil...well, in vampire movies where vampires are vulnerable to it, it does also work with hastily constructed crosses etc. I am thinking of something along the lines of the True Faith merit in the WoD games where someone with True Faith could actually hold up a holy symbol and push back vampires etc.
I am all for it.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:51 pm 2. WaRp: Teleporter (a bit martial artist, a bit energy projector, force of chaos). Once a gymnastics prodigy, Rose turned to martial arts to rebuild her body and her confidence after a terrible accident. In the aftermath of the Merge, it was revealed that she had Merged with the single other instance of herself, someone very similar (so a very mild case of MGS)- but that other self had been a newly Activated Slayer. In the events surrounding the Chaos Incursion, she was found and trained, and she went into battle against the forces of Chaos- where she lost, big time, her body warped and twisted out of all recognition, so terrible it tainted everything around it. It was only her own will and the durability of a Slayer which kept her alive. Once the Incursion was put to rest, Willow and the other great wizards of the world set to cleaning things up. Rose was one of the fortunate ones, one who could be saved- but even so, she was changed at a fundamental level, able to twist reality around herself. It took nearly a year before she was released, declared "safe", and allowed to pick up her life as best she can...
I like this one, also for the rp potential with Eli. Not to mention that with the shared background it adds to the connections between the characters.

Does this mean we have to start fighting now ?
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Bladewind wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:59 pm
pathfinderq1 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:51 pm 2. WaRp: Teleporter (a bit martial artist, a bit energy projector, force of chaos). Once a gymnastics prodigy, Rose turned to martial arts to rebuild her body and her confidence after a terrible accident. In the aftermath of the Merge, it was revealed that she had Merged with the single other instance of herself, someone very similar (so a very mild case of MGS)- but that other self had been a newly Activated Slayer. In the events surrounding the Chaos Incursion, she was found and trained, and she went into battle against the forces of Chaos- where she lost, big time, her body warped and twisted out of all recognition, so terrible it tainted everything around it. It was only her own will and the durability of a Slayer which kept her alive. Once the Incursion was put to rest, Willow and the other great wizards of the world set to cleaning things up. Rose was one of the fortunate ones, one who could be saved- but even so, she was changed at a fundamental level, able to twist reality around herself. It took nearly a year before she was released, declared "safe", and allowed to pick up her life as best she can...
I like this one, also for the rp potential with Eli. Not to mention that with the shared background it adds to the connections between the characters.

Does this mean we have to start fighting now ?
:lol:

I like that idea too, and the way it involves different aspects of the merge coming together in her is pretty cool.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Submissions/ Ideas:
Alice Liddle Dream Warrior - kirinke
Devotee of Superman/ Rao - Neo-Paladin
Elizabeth Walsh Vampire - Doctor Malsyn
Various ideas - patherfinderq1
John Smith - Flynnarrel
Pratfall - Fuzzyboots
FireBirdHawkStar MagmaNovaFire - jmucchiello
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Fri May 17, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Here's my first blush attempt at Amy "Fire" Wilson. I still need to fill out her description/background as it lacks her pre-merge lifetime and what she's been doing lately. Let me know if Spotty Memory is GM-legal. It is essentially a limit on 9 skills and memory checks. Her base INT was probably not zero but after the merge, all of her smarts are spotty.

Amy is probably looking for a better name as calling her Fire can bring the Fire persona forward if she's not on her meds. Oh, her age is adjustable based on party background requirements.

Amy "Fire" Wilson
(Hero; PL: 8; PP: 150/150)

Strength: 1; Agility: 0; Fighting: 0; Awareness: 0
Stamina: 10; Dexterity: 0; Intellect: 7/0; Presence: -1

Dodge: 6, Parry: 6, Fortitude: 10, Toughness: 10, Will: 6

COMBAT
Initiative: +0; Close: +0; Ranged: +0
  • Dehydrate: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8: (Fortitude DC 18) Range: 30 feet radius sphere
  • Fire Burst: Burst Area Damage 8: (DC 23) [Fire] Range: 200/400/800 ft.
  • Grab: +0 (Special DC 11) Range: Close
  • Magma Blast: Damage 10: +6 (DC 25) [Earth / Fire] Range: 250/500/1000 ft.
  • Nova Burst: Burst Area Damage 8: (DC 23) Range: 60 feet radius sphere
  • Summon Flames: Damage 8: +8 (DC 23) [Earth / Fire] Range: 200/400/800 ft.
  • Throw: +0 (DC 16)
  • Unarmed: +0 (DC 16) Range: Close
SKILLS: Athletics +7 (6r); Deception -1; Expertise: Model/Dancer +8 (1r); Expertise: Nursing +8 (1r); Expertise: Physics +8 (1r); Expertise: Poli Sci +8 (1r); Expertise: Spy +8 (1r); Insight +5 (5r); Intimidation -1; Investigation +8 (1r); Perception +5 (5r); Persuasion -1; Stealth +0; Technology +8 (1r); Treatment +8 (1r)
LANGUAGES: English; French; Latin; Portuguese; Spanish
ADVANTAGES: Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Languages 3

POWERS
  • (Sensory) Electromagnetic Sense: Senses 1 - Radio (1 PP)
    This power originates from Firestar.
  • (Sensory) Geothermal Techtonic Sense: Senses 8 - Acute: Techtonic Activity, Analytical: Techtonic Activity, Detect: Techtonic Activity 2 (Ranged), Extended: Techtonic Activity 4 (X10k); Flaws: Limited: Only for predicting Earthquakes (4 PP)
    This power originates from Magma.
  • (Sensory) Merger "Sight": Senses 6 - Accurate: Merger, Acute: Merger, Analytical: Merger, Detect: Merger 2 (Ranged); Flaws: Quirk: Three points for free 3 (3 PP)
  • (Sensory) Messages from God: Senses 4 - Precognition; Flaws: Uncontrolled (2 PP)
    This power comes from Firebird who views her glimpses of the future as signs of God's favor and warnings from God.
  • Environment: Environment 1 Radius: 30 feet - Heat (Extreme) (2 PP)
  • Fire Powers - (37 PP)
    • Dehydrate: Cumulative Burst Area Affliction 8 - 1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, Resisted by: Fortitude; Extras: Area (Burst) (30 feet radius sphere, dc 18), Cumulative, Increased Duration 2 (Sustained), Selective; Flaws: Instant Recovery, Limited Degree (1 PP)
      She fills the area with heat drying the air so much it tires those in the area.
    • Fire Burst: Burst Area Damage 8 - Extras: Area (Burst) (30 feet radius sphere, dc 18), Increased Range (Ranged), Selective; Descriptors: Fire (1 PP)
      Fire erupts from her body and strikes everything nearby that she chooses to hit.
    • Magma Blast: Damage 10 - Extras: Accurate 3 (+6), Increased Range (Ranged), Secondary Effect; Descriptors: Earth, Fire (33 PP)
      The firey mass that strikes has the consistency of magma. It clings to the victim and burns them a second time. Amy is loathe to use this power as it can easily kill someone knocked out by the first hit.
    • Nova Burst: Burst Area Damage 8 - Extras: Area (Burst) 2 (60 feet radius sphere, dc 18), Secondary Effect (1 PP)
      This power comes from Nova. It is the same as Johnny Storms Nova Burst ability.
    • Summon Flames: Damage 8 - Extras: Accurate 4 (+8), Increased Range (Ranged), Indirect 3 (Any point in fixed direction or fixed point in any direction), Multiattack; Descriptors: Earth, Fire (1 PP)
      Fire erupts from the earth and strikes at targets she selects within range.
  • Firey Body: Insubstantial 3 Energy - Descriptors: Fire, Radiation (15 PP)
    This power comes from Fire, Firehawk, and Magma. Her flame form is a swirl of green and orange flames. She generally doesn't activate this power consciously.
  • Flight: Flight 8 Speed: 500 miles/hour, 1 mile/round - (16 PP)
    She flies through a combination of heating the air around her and firey propulsion.
  • Multiple Physiologies: Immunity 12 - Damage Effect: Fire, Damage Effect: Radiation, Poison, Rare Descriptor: Demonic Possession (12 PP)
    She is immune to radiation due to Firebird and Firestar. Poison and demonic possession due to Firebird.
  • Spotty Memory: Enhanced Intellect 7 +7 INT - Ability: Intellect; Flaws: Limited: Essentially, she has disadvantage on Intellect Checks (7 PP)
    Due to her amalgam of multiple brains, accessing her memory requires two check rolls and she uses the lower result.
Eyes: Blue/Green Hair: Red/Black/Green
Height: 5' 8" Weight:120 lb.

BACKGROUND
Amy Wilson was one of the popular girls in high school. She was also smart and third in line for valedictorian. She was hoping to be a doctor after college. She lead the Swim Team (medley and backstroke) to the state finals three years in a row and came in first in backstroke her junior year making her a minor celebrity in the small town. She then worked as a lifeguard at the beach most summers after that.

But all of that changed when the world went mad. An unusual case even for the Merge, Amy somehow emerged from M-day with six heroes in her head:

Fire, a.k.a. Beatriz Bonilla da Costa
Firebird, a.k.a. Bonita Juarez
Firehawk, a.k.a. Lorraine Reilly
Firestar, a.k.a. Angelica Jones
Magma, a.k.a. Amara Juliana Olivians Aquilla
Nova, a.k.a. Frankie Raye

All of them manipulate fire in some manner and all of them are heroes. But that didn't help poor Amy retain her sanity. She spent most of 2015-16 in a mental ward trying to come to grips with her overloaded set of memories.

Mostly, she has quelled the extra voices in her head through meditation, psychotherapy, and an ongoing drug regimen. The once outgoing, friendly teen was replaced by a sad, withdrawn woman. She was still very smart, maybe even smarter now, but she has a hard time pulling her knowledge together sometimes.

Although many of the minds inside her are accomplished martial artists, Amy has not been able to put that training to use and she is loathe to open herself up to those "alien" memories. Some of those memories involve dancing but when she tries to use those memories her moves are awkward and mistimed. Her swimming skills are also not what they once were.

After her 18 month stay in an Asylum, Amy started putting her life back together by studying nursing through an online college. She only started doing in person classes/field work last semester at a local hospital.

She still lives in the town she grew up in as it is familiar, even if some parts of it have changed dramatically. She just calls that "progress" and puts out of her mind that this so called progress was M-day. She lives with her parents who have been understanding and supportive throughout all of her trials. Janet Wilson is a lawyer and does real estate closings in town. Just about every home sold in town crosses her desk. Michael Wilson is a business man who works from home most of the time when he's not traveling.

COMPLICATIONS
  • Fascination with Fire: A large fire can become mesmerizing to Amy. This "pyromania" existed in Amy long before M-day and she sometimes enjoys watching things burn.
  • MGS: Amy Wilson knows everything there is to know about pyrokinetics because she has the memories of six pyrokinetics swimming around in her head.
  • MGS Suppression: The psychiatrists that helped Amy recover her life caught glimpses of other personas lurking in her mind. They found, revealed, and help Amy make peace with the six heroes mentioned in her background. But some of the personas refused to be treated and hid from the psychiatrists.
  • Motivation: Doing Good: Amy was always a good person but her need to do good is amplified by the minds inside of her.
  • On again/Off again Catholic: Amy was not religious before M-day, but thanks to Firebird, she sometimes believes in Catholicism. For a while she thought she was empowered thanks to God. This faith can rise and fall within her at any time, triggered by external religious tropes. (Not sure this is really a complication so don't feel obligated to do anything with it.)
  • Psychotic Drug Dependence: Amy takes a regimen of drugs daily to maintain her stable persona. Without them she would either become catatonic or become one of the voices in her head.
  • Quirk - Humming: Sometimes, without realizing it, Amy will tune in to a radio station (using Radio Sense) playing a favored song and hum along with it, out loud.
  • Relationship - various people: With all of her memories, she has deep emotional feelings, not all of them sexual, for several different people, some of which she is only vaguely aware of. These feeling are for, but not limited to, Ice, Cannonball, Iceman, Sunspot, Guy Gardner, Flash, Hank Pym, and even Mephisto.
MOVEMENT AND STRENGTH DATA
Size: Normal size ~6 ft.
Flight: 500 miles/hour; 1 mile/round
Walking: 2 miles/hour; 30 feet/round; Running: 4 miles/hour; 60 feet/round
Swimming: 1/2 mile/hour; 6 feet/round
Jumping: Running 10 ft.; Standing 5 ft.; Vertical 2 ft.; Standing Vertical 1 ft.
Throwing Distances: 400 lbs. up to 6 ft, 100 lbs. up to 30 ft, 25 lbs. up to 120 ft

TOTALS: Abilities: 20, Powers: 99, Advantages: 5, Skills: 8, Defenses: 18 -> 150

HOUSE RULES
  • Skill Points: 3 Skill Points per PP
  • Optional Rules: Add Power Modifier Prefix, Choose Starting PP
  • PRE-based free advantages
  • 3 free PP for "merge" sense
Last edited by jmucchiello on Thu May 30, 2019 4:26 am, edited 9 times in total.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Hey could somebody look over Alice's build? I need the math's checked and build suggestions.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Thanks Fuzzy.

Adding that to the intro post
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Okay, I shifted up some things, freeing up a point, which I added to advantages (improved init). I cleaned up her Physical Attacks, making them as close in spirit to the American McGee's Alice character as possible. Considering how many Alices are in Alicia's head, I will chalk up any discrepancies to MGS. ;)

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

kirinke wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:15 am Okay, I shifted up some things, freeing up a point, which I added to advantages (improved init). I cleaned up her Physical Attacks, making them as close in spirit to the American McGee's Alice character as possible. Considering how many Alices are in Alicia's head, I will chalk up any discrepancies to MGS. ;)
May want to shuffle the Aura Reading slot around a bit- with just Detect for Mood and Physical condition you don't get any useful info, you need Acute. (Basic Detect is just a yes/no). Otherwise, should be cool, but remember to take my analysis with a grain of salt- my builds can be a mess.

Also, Alice's 'title' has had that song stuck in the back of my head all week.

Going back to my own builds now.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Gotcha. I do have the points for it. Thanks!
Also, Alice's 'title' has had that song stuck in the back of my head all week.
Well it was either 'Dream Warrior' or Dream's attack dog and Jack's right hand horror (or themes on that). Dream Warrior was the better choice. Well, the bad guys (and good guys) might use that as well. You know how that goes. Lol.

Her bad guys probably have lots of titles for her that aren't quite so nice. :lol:
Last edited by kirinke on Sat May 18, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Init
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

I think for my char, I will make it ambiguous where exactly his powers are coming from. Could simply be his faith (others have been empowered by their worshipped gods after the Merge) or a metagene/x-gene/passenger, but he hasn't had himself tested on principle. In any case, I will probably add a complication mentioning that, wherever his powers might originate, their functioning is tied to his faith and if that should in some way start to waver, he could no longer rely on them fully.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I personally don't think that'd be a problem. Belief is a very powerful thing, so even if his powers weren't faith driven, if he believes it is and his faith is strong enough, it could happen.

Battle Init
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:23 am I think for my char, I will make it ambiguous where exactly his powers are coming from. Could simply be his faith (others have been empowered by their worshipped gods after the Merge) or a metagene/x-gene/passenger, but he hasn't had himself tested on principle. In any case, I will probably add a complication mentioning that, wherever his powers might originate, their functioning is tied to his faith and if that should in some way start to waver, he could no longer rely on them fully.
Liking this concept.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

A power loss Complication. unlikely to turn up but cool,
"Something pithy this way comes."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I'm kinda waffling over changing Alice's persuasion to intimidation. In the games, she wasn't very intimidating or at least, she wasn't trying to be intimidating if that makes sense.

Battle Init