The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - (Full) - OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Recruiting Closed

Post by Flynnarrel »

Quick Change 2 allows to change to any set of clothing instantly for 2 points, how is Alice's 1 point feature lesser than that?
"Something pithy this way comes."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Lack of control over what clothes manifest (Uncontrolled) perhaps?
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Yup. From the games, I gathered she didn't have much control over it at all. Okay I added uncontrolled to the power:

01PP Appropriate Wardrobe (Quick Change, uncontrolled): Alice's clothing changes depending on the situation and the realm/area she is in. She doesn't have much say in the matter.

It's thematically appropriate and a bit of fun for 1 point. :lol:

I hope you like the Cheshire Cat's asides. I like writing snarky characters.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Serious question here: how are we going to do this? We have alot of options to investigate. As far as I can see we have the option to invesigate:

Spirit hot spots
Monster hotspots
The police
Murder sites
Supernatural Community
Magical Community
Religious Community

That's just off the top of my head. We also need to figure out if we're going to split up or tackle it as a complete team.

Battle Init
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Well, I don't want to ask the hard questions. Who were the people who died? Where did they live? Did they have anything in common? Where did they each die? etc. I doubt BW has complete reports for all the "victims." But logically that is where to start. Of course, Amy is not the person ask all these questions. (Although I did give her Investigation skill. I figured she would grow into that skill.)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

They did actually have something in common, all were pre-merge normals. Not sure which of us was given that information though.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

That's not really much of a connection. There were 7 billion pre-merge normals.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I have a feeling that it is something to note though.
The young man speaking with Samuel adds, just before the others arrive.

"I did notice one other thing - although I don't know if it's statistically significant yet - all of the victims so far have been 'pure' Earthers. No powers - metagene or otherwise - no MGS, nothing..."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Alice doesn't really have any investigative skills, so she'd have to have somebody with her who does if we decide to split up.

Battle Init
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

We are not even close to the splitting up to chase leads stage, so that discussion can wait a bit- both what 'teams' are, and where we are looking.

For now, this is the whiteboard Cat is building in her head, until she can get home and start on a 'real' one...

>What we do know (Anybody else feel free to chime in, and I will add):
-23 victims, with names
-Victims (or are believed to be) Pre-Merge natives, without powers or other alterations
-the magical/psychic community thinks something is going on (non- primal, non-Elder evil, not exactly malevolent but threatening; causing signs and portents)

>What we want to know next:
-Any other connections between victims (or any connections from a victim to any of us)
-Location, at least generally, of these incidents- specifically, is this a local problem (on the city or state level), or is it occurring nation-wide, or world-wide? 23 victims around the city is bigger than 23 around the world- but if there are 23 in the city AND it is happening around the world as well, we've got a much bigger problem.
-Does there seem to be a magical or supernatural element to these incidents? Or any kind of super-science element?

>What we would love to get (but probably won't):
-any existing investigative material, whether from the local police or DXDO. I'm sure it exists, but we don't have an 'IN' yet to those agencies.

>What we can work with:
-Several of us have Connections (Samuel, Cat, John). Anybody know a reporter or something? We ought to get Eli some Connections ro Contacts on the force (or maybe she can stunt that, tell one of the Academy instructors she is working on this case for extra credit/experience?)

-Several of us have Investigation at reasonable levels, especially if we do a Team check/Aid route (Cat, John, Amy)

-Several of us have relevant skills and/or advantages (Well-informed, Expertise- current events, etc.) I think I've bombed out on my rolls, but if anybody else wants to take a shot, go for it.

-Once we have a bit more information and an idea of what kind of time frame we are working with, Cat will probably start working on a Ritual for Divination (Limited Precog for future events, or postcognition if we can identify a site or something...)

>Like I said, if anybody else has something to add, let me know and I'll put it up. Information, wish list, resource, whatever...
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

On a pure blue-sky level, anybody have a pet theory?

My initial idea was this is some kind of psychic entity that merged over without a host and is now seeking one- it isn't hostile (just weird/alien in thought/morality), but its presence causes people to burn out (fire elemental? uncontrolled pyrokinesis?). The victims are all un-Merged, but are people who had the potential to have had a Merge-based change, it just didn't "activate", and that potentiality is what the entity is homing in on.

Or (kidding) it is actually an-as yet unknown pyrokinetic inside Amy's brain, making these attacks while she thinks she is sleeping. Charlene McGee? Liz Sherman? Johnny Storm? St John Allerdyce? (Again, kidding)
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Oh hell. I just had a bad, bad, bad thought.

Phoenix Force.

Not necessarily evil, yet it is a powerful psychic force with fire powers to boot. It certainly would have the power to burn out people it wasn't compatible with if it was in a search for a host and is also powerful enough to cause the supernatural community to go into a flurry.

With the Merge and War, it could be confused enough to try using normals as a host.

Battle Init
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Pathfinderq1 and Kirinke's theories are interesting.

PF's joke: Amy does have one (or more) as yet unknown pyrokinetics lying around loose in her brain who are probably not heroes. I'm thinking someone like Pyro. Although they are all female currently so not specifically Pyro. She does have this complication:
MGS Suppression: The psychiatrists that helped Amy recover her life caught glimpses of other personas lurking in her mind. They found, revealed, and help Amy make peace with the six heroes mentioned in her background. But some of the personas refused to be treated and hid from the psychiatrists.
But of course, she doesn't know about personas hiding in her head. The reason this doesn't completely cripple her is she does not have multiple personality disorder as a complication. She is almost always in control. Almost.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Sweet, the dancing demon from the Buffy Musical episode would burn people up. That'd be fun.
"Something pithy this way comes."
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Maybe. From what I remember he wasn't powerful enough to send the entire mystical community into a tizzy. Though with the merge, that could have changed.

Ooo for those who aren't familiar with the American McGee's Alice
https://alice.fandom.com/wiki/Alice_Wiki

This is where I got some of the ideas for her mental powers:
https://alice.fandom.com/wiki/Alice:_Otherlands

Battle Init