Shared origin
- Hometown. Bay Shore

Submissions/ Ideas:
Alice Liddle Dream Warrior - kirinke
Devotee of Superman/ Rao - Neo-Paladin
Elizabeth Walsh Vampire - Doctor Malsyn
patherfinderq1
John Smith - Flynnarrel
Pratfall (or costumed hero) - Fuzzyboots. (I prefer Prattfall myself...)
jmucchiello

Doc Malsyn - your vampire actually sounds "Rician." I don't recall it being in the write-up, but it<s a pretty good description of Pandora from Anne Rice's Vampire Novels...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Doctor Malsyn

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - Recruiting

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've added;
Detect Merger: Senses 3 (Extended Detect 2(Merger) (-1/100 ft.))
With Eli's abilities and skillset, it seems more fitting to know where something is rather then what exactly it might be. Interesting freebie though, I wonder what it entails... Also somewhat reminds me of Ryou from YHI's ability. ;)

Ah! I wanted to ask a couple things. First off for the benefit of everyone in general, when exactly is the game taking place? I have the impression it's at leas ta few years post-merge. And more specifically to me, what strain should I list her as having? Stoker seems the 'safest' choice, but she could be closer to one of the others then I realize.

Edit: Oop. Ninja'd it seems already by you there.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

lol ! I added the R-Strain to the setting document as I realized it wasn't there. (Just an FYI, I've made a bunch of edits and re-saves over the last half hour...)

Indeed, it does. Surprisingly, I believe I had come up with that aspect awhile ago... before I even applied to YHI... Note, and I'll say it now rather than later, the freebie focuses on detecting Mergers. Not MGS sufferers... so if Ryan Reynolds suddenly developed Deadpool's healing factor but was still Reynolds, as written the Detect would not work..

This game is taking place, as you surmised, in 2019. (At least its starting there).
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
FuzzyBoots

Pratfall

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Pratfall - PL 9

Strength 4, Stamina 9, Agility 3, Dexterity 4, Fighting 9, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 5

Advantages
Daze (Deception), Improvised Weapon 3, Power Attack, Redirect, Skill Mastery: Deception, Takedown 2
Social Advantages: Fake Expert*, Fascinate (Expertise: Clowning), Set-up, Taunt, Teamwork

* (from Mecha and Manga) - You may have no idea what you’re doing, but other people don’t need to know that. You can make a Deception
check instead of using the chosen skill to fool fate itself that you know what you’re doing. For a number of rounds equal to your Presence modifier, the check seems to work as intended (if successful); you plug the leak in the cooling pipes, you get the malfunctioning spaceship moving again, or you activate the ancient relic that only descendants of Lord Badass can use. Even if you fail, if your check beat the Sense Motive check of any onlooker, they are convinced that you tried your best but the problem was out of your ability. You don’t actually achieve anything useful related to the skill you’re faking; the information you gain is not true, you only buy time to hopefully get out of the situation or for a real expert to solve the problem. Once the duration ends, the real situation reasserts itself, sometimes with calamitous consequences.

Skills
Acrobatics 7 (+10), Athletics 5 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed/Improvised Weapons 2 (+11), Deception 10 (+15), Expertise (PRE): Clowning 6 (+11), Insight 6 (+8), Perception 6 (+8), Sleight of Hand 3 (+7), Stealth 5 (+8), Vehicles 1 (+5)

Powers
Ignore Gravity / Air Walk: Flight 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round; Subtle: subtle; Quirk: prone condition causes you to fall)
. . Comedic Scramble: Speed 2 (Alternate; Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
Feature 2 (Props, Dimensional Pocket): Pratfall can produce various props from his pockets at will, noisemakers and sight gags, at GM discretion. He can also store up to Mass Rank 1 (100 lbs) in miscellaneous objects in his pockets and retrieve them at will from said pockets or from another location with a successful Sleight of Hand
Overcrank: Quickness 2 (Limited to Physical, 5x speed)
Slapstick Array
. . Banana Peel (Linked Triggered Effect)
. . . . Trip: Affliction 9 (Linked; 1st degree: Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Prone, DC 19; Alternate Resistance (Acrobatics / Agility), Subtle: subtle, Triggered: 1 use - Walk over it (avoid with Acrobatics); Instant Recovery, Limited Degree)
. . . . ... and Fall: Damage 8 (Linked; DC 23; Subtle: subtle, Triggered: 1 use - Walk over it (avoid with Acrobatics); Resistible: Acrobatics / Agility)
. . Honking Big Mallet: Strength-based Damage 5 (DC 24; Dangerous 2, Insidious, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft., Smashing)
. . Laughing Gas Lapel Flower: Affliction 9 (1st degree: Fatigued, 2nd degree: Exhausted, Resisted by: Will, DC 18; Contagious, Insidious, Reach (melee): 5 ft.; Limited Degree)
. . Mimed Objects: Create 9 (Volume: 500 cft., DC 19; Stationary, Subtle 2: invisible; Quirk: Always invisible - No Cover, Reduced Range: close)
Slapstick (Insidious, Subtle, Variable Descriptor 2: broad group - Improvised weapons / Unarmed) - Basically, it's the cartoon effect that the target may not realize they've been attacked and, even if they do realize it, they may not think it did anything. Mechanically, it's a DC 20 Perception or appropriate Detect for each.
Detect Merger (Tracking 2)

Offense
Initiative +3
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +4 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +11 (DC 19)
Improvised Weapons +11 (DC 21)
Honking Big Mallet: Strength-based Damage 5, +9 (DC 24)
Laughing Gas Lapel Flower: Affliction 8, +9 (DC Will 19)
Trip: Affliction 9, +9 (DC Acr 19)
... and Fall: Damage 8, +9 (DC Acr/Tou 23)

Languages
Native Language (English)

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 11, Toughness 9, Will 7

Power Points
Abilities 72 + Powers 24 + Advantages 9 + Skills 17 (51 ranks) + Defenses 13 = 135

Background
Paul Stubbs was your everyday wage slave by day and a clown by night. Specifically, while his day job was as a minor faceless factotum in a large corporation, in his evenings, he donned the the greasepaint and moonlighted as a party clown named Pratfall in both Francisco, Bodega Bay (where he resided) and the surrounding area. On the day of The Merge, he felt little different at first... until that night, when he reached up to pull off the nose... and found that it wouldn't budge. He didn't panic, at least not immediately, but he quickly learned that none of it came off. He was no longer wearing a costume. That was his skin. That was his hair. That was his nose. His makeup and costume seem to be part of him and he's found the ability to pull items out of thin air. Moreover, something about his nature clouds the reactions of others. He can break a chair over a man's head and, unless people are looking closely, they don't even realize an attack was performed. Rather, it looks and feels like a harmless breakaway gag despite hitting with its full force.

He no longer works in an office. He's a full-time clown, gaining a reputation in his work with the relief efforts as displaced people and displaced geography adjusted to one another. Sometimes, a squeaky nose and a little seltzer down the pants was all that stood in the face of hysterical children and adults. His family has settled in Bay Shore, and Pratfall has found ample employment as people seem to have latched on to the familiar strangeness of clowns in the aftermath of this upheaval of their world. Thus far, he's simply using his ability to pull props out of nowhere to augment his regular party routine. But a part of him sings out to do something heroic... something funny in the name of justice.

Complications
  • Relationship (wife and son) — Paul has a wife and a son in college when he fell. They support his calling even if they don't quite understand it.
  • Prejudice (Clown) — Some people just really don't like clowns, and few people take them seriously. Since Paul can't change back anymore, he has little choice but to deal with how people react to his appearance. Complicating things, some of the known Mergers such as The Joker, Whiteface, and Great Clown Pagliacci have been besmirching the greasepaint. And that's not including rumors of something much darker, a demon known as Pennywise...
  • Obsession (Clowning) — Whether it's the some aspect of the empowering event, a method of coping, or simply hidden depths, Paul is constantly cracking jokes and attempting gags. It can really wear on a person around him.
  • Power Loss — Paul's powers sometimes desert him, particularly when he performs actions without a punchline.
Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Mutants & Masterminds, Third Edition is ©2010-2017 Green Ronin Publishing, LLC. All rights reserved.

----

I think I got all of the math right, and all of the fiddly bits copied over (not everything renders nicely in Hero Lab).

As regards a shared background, I'm fine with the hometown angle as well.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Alright then! With that addition in mind, I've updated parts of her sheet to be a little more in line with the Rician strain. Any various differences she has can probably be accredited to parallel universe deviation. I find it interesting how it opens her up to psychic abilities, if she were to grow stronger...

With your chosen shared origin in mind, I'll flesh out those parts of her later tonight.
------------
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Is there a list of Social Advantages?
Bladewind

Re: Pratfall

Post by Bladewind »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 amDo you have any objection to the "Cult Hero" advantage to effectively gain a Conditional bonus to interaction with particular subgroups?
None whatsoever.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Bladewind wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 am Note, I had forgotten to add this to the intro post/ House Rules:
Freebies: Detect Merger. All characters have Detect Merger as a 1 point power for free and have an additional two points to enhance it as they see fit. Ranged, acute, analytical, etc. Whatever the player feels is appropriate.
Okay...what is the reason forthis power or is that part of the story? Because in the Merged Universe, Natives usually do not have the ability to tell a Native from an X-D...
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 am Is there a list of Social Advantages?
Any advantage that gives a circumstance bonus to or modifies Deception, Intimidation, or Persuasion. So Attractive works. Skill mastery works for those 3 skills.

If you have an Expertise based on PRE and an advantage related to it, I suppose that would work to. Though I've never seen that happen. Expertise: Singer might be such a skill.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

I hope recruiting isn't ending any time soon. I'm still searching for a concept. I tried a Zatanna idea but didn't feel it working for me.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've updated Eli with a more fleshed out backstory which includes having lived in Bay Shore as a young child up until the Merge, always with dreams of becoming a detective like her father one day. Now she's back, attending classes at the San Fransokyo Police Academy, trying to struggle with her new identity as a predator of the night.
------------
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 am Alright then! With that addition in mind, I've updated parts of her sheet to be a little more in line with the Rician strain. Any various differences she has can probably be accredited to parallel universe deviation. I find it interesting how it opens her up to psychic abilities, if she were to grow stronger...
Excellent. Note that Rician sounds a little weird to me, even though I think I coined it when I wrote it... in the setting doc I referred to them as R-Strain in keeping with the naming conventions established by Neo.
Neo-Paladin wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:29 am
Freebies: Detect Merger.
Okay...what is the reason for this power or is that part of the story? Because in the Merged Universe, Natives usually do not have the ability to tell a Native from an X-D...
It's specific to this game and these characters. Future recruits will not necessarily have it.

Without major training - and people really shouldn't make it a focus of their character (save for characters like Ryou...) - it's really only going to tell you if the guy in the Superman suit is native or not. If you feel your character should absolutely NOT have it, let me know.

Using your character pitch and an encounter with my version of Supergirl from Prologue to Annihilation... He sees someone who looks like the character, acts like the character and has her powers... but he doesn't register her as XD....

Note: I won't remind you to use the power.

That help?
FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 am Is there a list of Social Advantages?
The following are acceptable choices, others are to be case-by-case.

Assessment
Attractive
Connected
Contacts
Cool (from Hero High)
Fascinate
Inspire
Languages
Leadership
Teamwork
Startle
Taunt
Well Informed

· Various Benefits also work - Wealthy, Cypher, Established IDs... (not naming thing I think are needed in game, just examples off the top of my head)
· Alternatively, for each rank in Presence, you can take 2 pts in Enhanced Social Skills, with the same skill ratio (3:1) as normal. (Essentially the Benefit Advantage applied to social skills.) A maximum of two advantages can be used this way (6 pts of skills) regardless of Presence rank.
jmucchiello wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:14 am I hope recruiting isn't ending any time soon. I'm still searching for a concept. I tried a Zatanna idea but didn't feel it working for me.
Nope. At least a week I am thinking...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Thanks for the info, Bladewind. Will work on the character over the next days.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Neo, if u need build help pm me with what your wanting in your character and I'll see what I can do..
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

sorry for any misspelling. I am typing on my phone. These things are not built for big fingers!
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5