Small Town Heroes: Inactive

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
CaptainKaulu

Re: Small Town Heroes (OOC/Recruitment Closed)

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Flynnarrel wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 pm I think a 5 is what you needed. I don't think Str checks were required. Was there going to be an IC post for Vil or did you just want the GM to narrate it?
I just didn't want to make an IC check until the GM had the chance to respond to John's test-IC post. Will do now.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Ok, for this test the other students will be taking part as well. To represent their vary in skill but overall affinity for this kind of thing, they will be using a basic roll. In this case however it will be 12 (most of them are good with dexterity which is why it is increased). Each PC will make a simple ranged attack vs the other students defence rating using doge. If the student is hit they lose points from this part of the test (the TA is using a point system here), if they can dodge then they get top marks. The attackers will also be getting marked on accuracy.

This one should be pretty simple but because there's a lot of rolls for each student I'm going to ask that we try and get the rolls done as quick as possible. If someone is hit on the first hit, then no one else needs to roll. I will just be narrating the other students attempts, so we don't need to worry about that.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I don't quite get this test. I mean, it's obvious these tests are SUPPOSED to be bad and way too overgeneralized to actually be useful, but do you mean that the "basic roll" the npc students getting as 12 is their bonus or total? Because either way, they cannot miss any of us. Even taking a dodge action, Maya, who has the highest dodge bonus (with her water shield up) that I can see, would still be hit. At that, might as well skip the dice rolling and move on assuming we were all hit and throw some quick dice for our own throws, just to speed things along, yeah?

Amendment: a 12 isn't an automatic hit per se, but it is still a heavily skewed bonus that will hit most of us with a small die result (an 8 at most to hit Maya)

Also, who is throwing balls at who? You didn't really clarify how the students would be getting split up. I mean, this is just a basic a game of dodgeball.

I'm just a bit lost as to what you are expecting here.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Huh? A 12 doesn't hit Sarah. You need a 16 to hit Sarah and she's toughness-skewed. Am I missing something?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

jmucchiello wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:36 am Huh? A 12 doesn't hit Sarah. You need a 16 to hit Sarah and she's toughness-skewed. Am I missing something?
If the 12 is their bonus, they need a 4 on the die to hit her. That's part of what I am trying to glean from our DM. If their TOTAL is a standard 12, that hits literally no-one. If it's their total, then yeah, they just miss all of us and we move on, but if it's their attack roll bonus, that's different.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Ah
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

In terms of the npc student 'roll', I meant that it will be assume that on each test they will get a 12 as their total. This saves me rolling for each one, and works on the assumption that as a collective, they are a little above the average in dexterity (average assumed to be rolling a 10 with no modifier). This means that if they were a pc and made an attack, after modifiers they would get a 12. I'm just cutting out the work of having to roll for all of them so the focus remains on the pc's abilities. I know that a 12 isn't automatically a hit, I didn't intend to it be one, as that would defeat the objective of actually having you guys take the test. This number was chosen without looking at anyone's dodge because I didn't want to actively target players.

In terms of the actual test, it will be all but one pc making the dexterity check, with the last pc being the target. Effectively it's an 'all vs one' set up. After the rolls are made, they swap for someone else. Sorry if I'm not articulating this great, I hope that clears things up.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Well 12 is an automatic miss at PL8 unless your target has a Dodge of 2.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So, long story short, each of us players needs to make one ranged attack roll against each other player? Figure it would make things go smoother if we just crank them all out at once, otherwise this is be a very long and draw out test, lol. I would also assume everyone is taking a defense action (+2 to active defenses, +5 if you have the improved defense advantage), yeah?

And yeah, a total of 12 is going to miss most heroic characters, though it may hit some of the other kids. Makes sense if we're meant to be the cream of the crop, so to speak. Thanks for clarifying that.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Let's roll them here and then have the people getting hit by the balls narrate in the IC?

I'm taking the characters in order from post #1 of the OOC thread:

Erin Murphy
Vil Grumych
JD Daniels
Sarah Dimple (Skip me)
Maya McKinny
John Whiteagle

5 Throws at the heroes: 5#1d20 20 4 8 11 4

So, only the 20, a crit, hits Erin Murphy. The other throws can't possibly hit.

Ironically, Sarah's Dodge is 1 without her powers, she will power up when she sees how many balls are flying and end up with a 6 Dodge.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

jmucchiello wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:46 pm Let's roll them here and then have the people getting hit by the balls narrate in the IC?

I'm taking the characters in order from post #1 of the OOC thread:

Erin Murphy
Vil Grumych
JD Daniels
Sarah Dimple (Skip me)
Maya McKinny
John Whiteagle

5 Throws at the heroes: 5#1d20 20 4 8 11 4

So, only the 20, a crit, hits Erin Murphy. The other throws can't possibly hit.

Ironically, Sarah's Dodge is 1 without her powers, she will power up when she sees how many balls are flying and end up with a 6 Dodge.
dex: 5#1d20-2 4 2 8 17 15

JD is clearly not quarterback material. The only one that came close was @ Maya and it just missed her.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Quick question, which may adjust some people's rolls, but are we allowed to use accurate attack? The point is to hit with the ball, not do damage, so would make sense for the sharper students to focus on hitting over putting power behind the throw.

Also, Maya's total dodge is 20 with her water shield (Pemberley encouraged power use), and 22 if we utilize Defense actions (which we all should be since our purpose while having balls lobbied at us is to evade them, right?)
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

I think that accurate attack can be used in this case, no problem there.

Defence actions can be used yeah, in terms of powers, I would ask that if they are used that they be focused around dodging instead of blocking (there is a section later focused around toughness and the ability to shoulder damage).
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

So Flyn, if you have accurate attack and do the full 5, you actually just barely hit Maya with that 17 (which becomes 22, which is what her dodge would be)
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Ah, no accurate attack, and the +2 version won't help any of those land. NP, JD is weak at ranged.
"Something pithy this way comes."