Small Town Heroes: Inactive

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hawk

Re: Small Town Heroes (OOC/Recruitment Closed)

Post by Hawk »

I added a picture of Lakota in costume. It can be difficult to find a picture that does not look like a complete stereotype.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

Shadowmask, just wanted to double check the difference between the first feature you listed into your power list and the midas touch? Just wanted to make sure you weren't double spending and robbing yourself.

EpicEclipse, I had seen that you started at the age of 17, and I was going to say that if the group was ok with that, it wouldn't necessarily be a problem. Perhaps student in the junior year are expected to help freshmen, plus it may be handy to have a character who is old enough to drive (though an actual licence would me a quest item). Mechanically the character would start the same, but it could be an interesting rp moment. I will say that only one character can start above freshmen standing though. I will leave this up to you guys to decide on how/if you want to do this.

I did just want to double check also that everyone has started with the minus on the attributes for starting.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:43 am Made a slight adjustment to some details regarding age as I had missed/forgot (Not sure which at this point) that particular bit, she was just a few years too old.. Doesn't change anything mechanically in any case. Keeping the picture though because it's awesome and REALLY hard to find characters displaying water powers!
Epic found that already.

I was thinking to make JD an older-15 or even 16 (though still a Freshman and not of driving age and his natural stiffness would make him a poor driver). The quality of public schooling he'd received up until now had been subpar and this is where his education was at when tested by the school. What are your thoughts?
"Something pithy this way comes."
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

It certainly sounds workable, especially with the ic circumstances. In this setting school, most freshmen will already be 14/15, but if you do want to do 16 as you mentioned above, that's fine.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Maya could fit the senior role model role. Not sure what you mean quest itme though for the drivers license.

Benefit advantage? Equipment point?
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

As in they wouldn't be starting with a license, but would have to work towards it throughout the campaign. Quest was probably the wrong word really.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Ahh, cool cool.

Yeah, that is certainly something she would want to do so she can drive not only to the beach more conveniently, but to other beaches along the coast. :D

So I'll bump her back up to 17 which makes her, a grad I guess? Depending on when in the school year it is and her birthday (I'm picturing a summer baby for this one)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Do you mean Senior as in class? or senior as in older?

It's a different social dynamic to have someone of a drastically different class. It's no longer 'that group of freshmen getting in trouble'. She'd have different classes and different expectations. She'd be less 'part of the group'. At least that's how it was at my high school.

If you mean just age then no problem. Who knows how old an equivalent 'teenager' is in Atlantean or troll years.
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, regarding social dynamic, this is a fiction, so we can adjust too. We don't need to follow real life guidelines on such things.

I'm good either way really. Regardless of what age she ends up being played, she is kind of the big sister type.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

No one graduates high school at 17 unless they are brilliant. And no one is a 16 year old Freshman unless they've been held back a couple times.

Having friends who are Freshmen and Sophomores is far more likely than Freshmen and Seniors.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yes, but one may start grad year at 17. :)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Almost all do. I'm still not clear on if this is the beginning of the year or the middle.
MrTweedy

Post by MrTweedy »

You guys will be starting the campaign on the first day of school. The party will be going to the school for the first time as freshmen.

I believe that being 17 would put a character as a junior? That is how I read it at any rate, but I've not been to high school in America.

I you guys feel it will be easier, we can just have everyone start as freshmen, I just wanted to give you guys this option if you wanted.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

jmucchiello wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:41 am No one graduates high school at 17 unless they are brilliant. And no one is a 16 year old Freshman unless they've been held back a couple times.

Having friends who are Freshmen and Sophomores is far more likely than Freshmen and Seniors.
Dunno about brilliant but maybe just really smart :) I had just barely turned 17 (April) when I graduated from high school.

I still occasionally have nightmares about having to go back and doing 8th grade.

On the other hand, there is/was a local project that let you do Junior/Senior years of high school at the same time as the first two years of college.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

In the US, most kids leave High School as 18 year olds. So senior year they start as 17 year olds. Juniors start at 16, Sophomores are generally 15, and Freshmen are generally 14 in September. In NJ, school usually starts around Labor Day (first monday in September). Some districts start Sept 1 no matter what. Some start the first Wed of Sept (my local district). Finally New Jersey is (some would say insane) unusual in that there are more school districts than there are towns. (A district is sequence of elementary, middle and high schools with a superintendent and all the staff that fall under that superintendent. There are 600+ districts in NJ. Each with their own autonomy, their own teacher contracts, and their own schools.

NJ Graduation standards generally early high school graduation extremely difficult as you have to somehow take 4 years of English, Math, and phys ed, 3 years of social studies, 2 years of science, etc. And most districts do not provide summer school for getting ahead.